Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/30/07 07:34 AM
This weeks theme comes to you from DSDragon. This one should be fun since there are so many ways we could use it. thumbsup

If you don't know the rules go here to read them.

This weeks theme: Smooth

CUTTOFF DATE: 4/30/07
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/30/07 08:50 AM
Wow . . . wasn't expecting it to come up THIS week--didn't you have a list?

But hey, it's cool that I got bumped up to the top and all.

Now I have to actually figure out what to write for this week's drabble on the subject that I came up with.

You'd think I'd have already done it before I suggested it, wouldn't you?
Posted By: bakasi Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/30/07 09:05 AM
Delusive Smoothness

She looked at her child with pride and affection. He could only imagine how smooth the baby’s skin would feel under the woman’s hands. It was hardly imaginable that this smoothness would someday serve to protect someone who gladly destroyed people’s lives. He could still change the history. He would save a lot of people if he killed this child. The smooth skin wasn’t able to protect it.

H.G. Wells shook his head sadly. Although he knew that two important people would suffer because of Lex Luthor he couldn’t afford to change that. Villains were an important part of their fate.
Posted By: Catherine Bruce Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/30/07 09:14 AM
Oh my, bakasi! Nicey! I meself am glad he didn't kill baby Lex. Superman would have been bored!

Mine's a hair over 100 words, but...

Smooth Soles

Superman slid across the gravel, trying to get enough traction to stop the runaway semi. He dug his heels down, but to no avail, and the towering brick wall was coming up fast behind him. Ten feet away from doom for both machine and rock, he made a last desperate attempt at saving both as he bent down and dragged his pinky into the gravel road. It barely worked, and as it was he became sandwiched between the two with a loud and uncomfortable ‘Urf!’

Flying to his home in Kansas, he took off the boots and winced at his mother. “Mom, I don't think these are quite right yet.”

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Neither was a superhero’s costume.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/30/07 09:19 AM
Bakasi - wonderful! clap Love the originality of the way you've worked in the theme.

Catherine - rotflol rotflol Poor Clark!

LabRat smile
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/30/07 09:24 AM
Haha, I do have a list. I don't know how I feel about all the items on the list though and sometimes I think of them on the fly.

Also, even though I know the themes I try not to think of stories for them until the actual week of the drabble. smile More fun that way. ^_~
Posted By: symbolicangel Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/30/07 12:32 PM
100 words exactly according to Word. Okay, here goes...

She opened her eyes, needing to see him one last time. She reached out her hand, needing to touch him one last time. As her palm touched the smoothness of the fabric that covered his chest, her eyes took in the bright blue color of spandex.

Mayson’s eyes widened as realization dawned. “That’s what you’ve been hiding.”

She had so much more to say, but was only able to whisper one word, “Resurrection.”

Guilt, regret, and sadness filled her heart as it beat one last time. She’d never get to say that she was sorry—that she loved him still.

Posted By: MetroChumpy Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/30/07 12:43 PM
I'm not all that proud of this one, but I decided to post it anyway, especially since I havn't done a drabble since the first. :p Here it goes...

Snap.

He tossed away the new victim of his latest exploit and surveyed the growing pile of demolished razors, scissors, and knives. His mom was going to kill him.

He had tried everything, but the unyielding stubble gracing his chin and jaw hadn't budged. Out of possible shaving utensils, he settled for glaring at his reflection...and yelped as a dart of heat vision involuntarily escaped him, bouncing off of the mirror and grazing his cheek. Surprised but unhurt, he raised his hand to his cheek, eyes widening as he felt the newly smooth patch of skin beneath his fingers.
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/30/07 01:06 PM
Great job, everybody so far!

Cape Fetish, I've always wondered how Clark figured out he could shave that way--I like your explanation. smile
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/30/07 05:00 PM
100 words exactly.

“No, Lois, I really meant it. I guess I’m just not attracted to you at all.”

“You are such a liar, Clark Kent!” She paces around his desk, arms folded, chest heaving. “You are so attracted to me!”

He leans back in his chair, a smug smile curving over his lips. “Am not.”

“Are too!” Her eyes flash.

“Not.”

“Are - ” She exhales sharply and stalks up to him. Hands grip his tie, pulling him up to her, and her lips cover his. Less than a second and he’s kissing back.

“Smooth, Lois.” Jimmy grins as Clark concedes defeat.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/30/07 08:10 PM
Oh, my god! Wendy wrote a LnC story - even if it was a drabble...
Posted By: LabRat Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/31/07 04:41 AM
Wendy! Two-timing the Doctor? Shame on you! Tsk.

laugh

Terrific to see you back posting here! Hope it's not the last. wink

LabRat smile
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/31/07 08:58 AM
Okay, it's kind of cheesy (not to mention a belated seasonal thing), but here's mine. It's 96 words:

From above, the rink looked like dark glass, skaters hover-gliding along the top of sheets upon sheets of ice that Valentine’s morning.

Lois didn’t doubt that Clark could see the individual blade tracks and small shavings of glittering frost kicked up by the other skaters, but he wasn’t looking at them as he offered her a hot chocolate after they skated.

Their bond, like the ice, had faults not seen by those outside their tight-knit circle, but when they thought of their love, the faults didn’t matter, the remembrance an emotional zamboni to repair the wounds.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/31/07 09:47 AM
Darcy, that's beautiful. What gorgeous phrasing. Like poetry. And I love the idea behind it.

Keep them coming, FoLCs - I've enjoyed each and every one so far. You guys are amazing!

LabRat smile
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/31/07 10:49 AM
Darcy, that's beautiful. What gorgeous phrasing. Like poetry. And I love the idea behind it.
Thanks, LabRat!
Posted By: Kaethel Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/31/07 11:04 AM
Oh... my... God...

Wendy: THUD! hyper clap
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/31/07 04:14 PM
You guys are doing a great job at this!!

I'm going to be revising the rules a bit and will be contacting a lot of you in the next few days. We are going to start submitting these to the archive in bulk (by theme) so there is going to be a time limit and I need to get permission from each of you to include it. ^_^

Also, Wendy it is funny that you wrote the theme that way. On my break at work on Friday I was trying to remember if there was a scene where Jimmy said "Smooth C.K" and was going to write something around it. (I'm glad I didn't cause you did it far better justice than I ever could.) Anyway I figured... hey there are scripts online. I bet if I google "C.K. smooth and Jimmy" that it will turn something up.

Well needless to say... unless you guys are into Jimmy X Clark slash DON'T DO IT! *sigh* I may be scarred for life. dizzy
Posted By: Catherine Bruce Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/31/07 08:13 PM
Woo! This is my second one for this. Go me!

Those Who Would Be Gods

“What if I asked you to stay?” Get her to stay.

Say something “I'm not sure how to... be this. You made it happen.”

Say anything to make her stay. “Lois, I don't just need your help... I need you.”

Please… “What I'm trying to say is... I know it's crazy but... I think I... I...”

Sigh. “Does he know what he has?”

Yeah. Real smooth, Kent.

“We all do.”
Posted By: Dandello Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 03/31/07 10:16 PM
Smooth just didn't seem to do it for me. But here's mine.

She looked down at the babe in her arms wrapped in blankets of primary colors. His hair was thick, a smooth dark cap. His eyes were a warm laughing brown as he regarded her. His skin was as soft and smooth as a baby’s bottom. Of course it was. He was a baby. At least he looked like a baby. Even though he had come out what looked like a spaceship. What fool would put a baby in a spaceship?

Alien or not, he smiled at her and with the smoothness of a honed blade, he stole her heart forever.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 04/01/07 07:51 AM
Well needless to say... unless you guys are into Jimmy X Clark slash DON'T DO IT! *sigh* I may be scarred for life.
[Linked Image]

Catherine - love it!

Dandello - you almost made me cry with that last line. <snuffle>

LabRat smile
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 04/01/07 11:59 AM
Hehehe... I couldn't resist:

---Smooth---
Standing in front of the mirror a man mourned the loss of his hair.

“Don't just stand there shave it off!”

He winced as he remembered the words he had shouted at Gretchen in a fit of rage. What he had really wanted to say was, “Fix this!” but even he knew that was impossible. No this was much better than watching it slowly fall out in patches. Running a hand over his smooth head, he smiled. It did make him look rather evil. Maybe it wasn't so bad after all.

“Like a Phoenix from the ashes, Lex Luthor lives!”
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 04/02/07 01:10 AM
Okay, here's mine.

~~~~~

Smooth

Clark smiled as he looked over at his very tired, now sleeping wife. What a wonderful day this had been. The last few months had been so long - so hard. But now it was over.

Or was it just beginning? He decided it was just beginning.

He looked over at their newborn son lying quietly in the bassinette. He remembered Lois examining every finger and every toe... and her comment that his bottom really was smooth. “Smooth as a baby’s bottom,” she’d said. Clark smiled. It was definitely just beginning.

~~~~~

I love the title, Barbara. Great drabble. It’s an interesting idea - kill the bad guy when he’s a baby - or not.

Oh, Catherine... er, Mayson, I loved the bit about the boots. I think there’s no help (or improvement) for boots skidding across pavement.

Ah, Symbolic, that was so sad - so sweet.

Jessi, I loved that! It made me smile.

Well, Wendy, I’ve already commented. Are you sure we can’t entice you back to LnC?

Very nice, Darcy, but I’m not sure I know what a zamboni is.

Well, Catherine, I’m not quite sure I understood the ending to the second one... Duh... But up till where I got lost, I really liked it. But I did notice the time you posted it... All the water and all, you know...

Ah, Dandello, I loved the bit about baby Clark.

Ooh, JoJo, I loved the Phoenix bit.
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 04/02/07 04:35 AM
Very nice, Darcy, but I’m not sure I know what a zamboni is.
A zamboni is that big machine they drive out onto the ice in skating rinks that makes it all smooth again--it's an ice rink resurfacer.
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 04/08/07 02:57 PM
I love all of these, they are so original!

Here's mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--Learning--

The glass was smooth and cool between my fingers. I studied my reflection on the mirrored surface, having second thoughts. But I had to do it. How else would I know?

I pressed the sharp edge against the skin of the inside of my arm, just below my elbow, and hesitantly slid it across. There wasn’t even a faint mark or whisper of pain. I tried again with more force and watched in wonder as the glass shattered and rained fine pieces down onto the soft earth.

My mother’s voice floated over the field and I headed home for dinner.
Posted By: BJ Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 04/11/07 02:43 PM
I've really enjoyed all of your drabbles. Thanks for sharing.

After 'smooth' rumbled around in my head for about a week, this drabble finally fell out. laugh

~~~~~
Clark’s eyes slid over the casing as he inspected the illuminated, continental borders. No cracks or seals were visible, even when using telescopic vision, but there must be a way inside. It had called to him, beckoning from under the dusty tarp and one word reverberated through his mind.

Krypton. He was from the planet Krypton.

Please, he begged. Locked within the smooth surface were the answers he desired, but the now-dark globe remained stubbornly silent. As footsteps approached, he gave it another yearning glance before pocketing the globe and covering the ship.

The answers would have to wait.
~~~~~
BJ
Posted By: tipiwoman Re: Drabble Challenge: #5 Smooth - 04/12/07 05:24 PM
Smooth
By Nancy V. Sont

“Well, I headed to return the video…and on the way I…ran into Superman. He took me along with him to the volcano. I guess I wasn’t looking where I was going because my shoes got stuck in the mudflow. When he saw I was barefoot he offered to let me wear his boots, since his feet are invulnerable anyway.”

Lois scowled at the dirty red boots showing under Clark’s pant legs.

“Anyway, I got the story!”

He turned to pick up his laptop.

Lois eyed the ripped trousers. “Red underwear, Clark?”

He rolled his eyes…*Smooth Kent!*
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards