Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/23/07 08:58 AM
Are you guys getting bored with these yet?? This weeks is simple but I think you guys do the best with the simple themes. ^_^

Here are the rules if you haven’t posted a response yet: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000615

This weeks theme: Lightning
Posted By: Dandello Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/23/07 10:17 AM
Yay! another theme hyper

So here's two:

Lightning. He was a god able swallow explosives with only a burp, lift an entire space shuttle into the sky and beyond. A god able to see everything in a glance, move faster than the mortal eye could see. He could fly.

Her body thrummed as he held her high above the city. She thrilled at his touch on her hand. The blue spandex of his costume left little to the imagination: he was David in a red cape, Apollo with black hair and brown eyes. He was a god. She’d been struck by lightning and she was his forever.

-----------------------------------------------

Lightning. She was a goddess stalking the earth, her prey: the truth to be written out and spread over the city like a blanket of justice. She was beautiful, brilliant, complicated, domineering, uncompromising, pig-headed, stubborn, bold. No doe-eyed Aphrodite, but Athena, girded for battle.

His body thrummed at her scent, her voice. He thrilled at her words, the touch of her hand on his. Did he dare approach a goddess? Dare try to love her? He was only a man. She was a goddess with dark hair and hazel eyes. He’d been struck by lightning and he was hers forever.
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/23/07 10:29 AM
Great job on your two, Dandello!

I'm still sticking to my traditional "using the word as theme without using it in the drabble" thing. That said, here's my shortest drabble ever, only 69 words:

The older man was giving him the boot when she entered. A spitfire whirlwind, all eyes and hair and purpose, she took no notice of him as he stood and offered his hand in introduction. He watched and listened as she wheedled her editor into granting her request in his busy and frazzled state, and knew in split milliseconds that he would never meet another woman like Lois Lane.
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/23/07 10:53 AM
Ohhh!!! You guys did well with this one.

Mine is dorky:

---- Lightning ----
Once when he was seven years old he had touched an electric fence. It had sent a jolt of electricity down his entire body and had almost knocked him off his feet. He had always imagined that would be what it felt like to be struck by lightning… that was until the first time he had laid eyes on Lois Lane. Looking at the beautiful woman who had just stormed into the middle of his interview, he was certain life would never be the same for him. He could only hope that this lightning would strike him more than twice.
Posted By: bakasi Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/23/07 11:54 AM
Okay, this is a rather bad one... Hope you'll enjoy, though.

***Lightning***

Clark lay in bed. His room was dark but for the flashes of lightning, illuminating it briefly. When the thunder came, he shivered and grabbed his blanket. He would neither scream nor hide. This thunderstorm was different. Though it was frightening, he could hear a promising whisper in the pouring rain. He listened. With the next stroke of lighting, he knew that something important had happened. Far away and inaudible for his young ears a new voice had cried out. He wouldn’t remember the night, but a brief flash had brought him his soul mate to change his life forever.
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/23/07 12:48 PM
Great job, Jojo and Bakasi!

I have to wonder though, how Clark could know that that particular storm was different when he was less than two years old. (I'm assuming that you meant the reason the storm was different was because Lois--his soul mate, as you said in the drabble--was being born somewhere else.) After all, the two of them are only a year or so apart.
Posted By: bakasi Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/23/07 01:24 PM
Who knows what a child knows, Darcy? Can you remember the time when you've barely been two years old? Did you already think, or didn't you? Besides, I said this was bad wink
Posted By: BJ Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/23/07 05:31 PM
Here's my contribution.

~~~~~
His differences had always set him apart from the human race and no one, not even Lois, could understand how that felt. Inhuman powers slowly acquired had been terrifying, but he’d survived with his parents’ support. Now, a feeling of companionship stole over Clark as he glanced at the boy floating next to him. How much worse to have unexplained superpowers all at once?

Clark’s heart melted at Jesse’s trusting smile. It didn’t matter that he wasn’t his son. Whether caused by experiment or force of nature, they would discover the cause. Whatever the consequence, Superman would never abandon him.
~~~~~

It's been a while since I watched "Chip Off the Old Clark", so I hope I remembered the boy's name correctly.
BJ
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/23/07 10:44 PM
I can't tell you how excited I was about this week's theme! smile1 So very very cool! In fact, I should have been in bed by now, but Jessi reminded me about it (so insanely tired I had actually forgotten!) and so I had to open Word up and write this. smile

A quick note before anyone complains that this isn't really L&C... there's this little fic out there that I wrote, which is called All Weathered Out and for which I was going to write a prologue. Well... this drabble is it. *This* is the prologue to my fic.

(and *this* is me doing the happy dance!)

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

From the first second, she had hated him. With all her heart and soul, she had despised everything he did, everything that he stood for. People saw only the hero, but she knew… She knew that his presence in Metropolis caused more problems than it brought solutions. And every single day she campaigned against him with all the energy she possessed.

Until tonight.

Tonight, lightning had struck. Twice. And she had died. But through Superman’s carelessness, she was reborn; a being of pure electric energy, hatred and an insatiable craving for revenge.

Leslie Willis was no more… Long live Livewire!
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/26/07 06:51 PM
Here's my first drabble contribution. I am not absolutely happy with it, but I don't think continuing to play with it will make it any better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He accepted my outstretched hand and my first reaction was a wild desire to laugh. Shouldn’t a straight-from-the-movies moment like this have a fantasy setting? A tropical island, perhaps, surrounded by chorus girls wearing gold lame evening gowns and eating ambrosia with silver spoons. Not a police station at three o’clock on a dreary Tuesday.

Had this really been an ordinary day until now? Breakfast, court, laughing about last night’s Friends. Shouldn’t have fate warned me that this was coming?

<Speak>, my inner voice prompted. What should I say? <Your name would be a good start.>

“Mayson Drake, Deputy DA”
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/26/07 07:16 PM
Oooh! Lisa, that's very good! thumbsup
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/26/07 07:23 PM
Thanks, Lara!

And I forgot to say that I did read the earlier entries and I think they're all great.

This is such a fun exercise, Jojo. Thank you for introducing it and I definitely hope you keep posting them.
Posted By: Shadow Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/26/07 10:19 PM
Ooh, lightning sounds like fun. Funny, I seem to be geared towards episodes for my drabbles...

----

From suicide to superhero.

I raised my gun in a cemetery, and instead of a trip to the morgue, I’m taking a trip to the bank! For the first time in my life, I’ve got something good, and I’m about to cash in on it. I’ll have to join you later, Momma; I’ve got a costume to pick out and price list to publish. Who would have known that my life would change with a bolt of lightning and a nosy Superman. There’s a new crusader in town, and my name is…wellll…I guess I can’t put Waldecker on my costume…
Posted By: Laura S Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/27/07 06:38 PM
Shadow! Great idea on using Waldecker for lighting. thumbsup Good one.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/29/07 08:01 AM
Besides, I said this was bad
Actually, I thought it was beautiful, bakasi. The whole idea of him knowing the moment Lois was born was just WAFFy. And, since they have that connection, it didn't strike me as odd that he would recognise that there was something different about this particular storm, that it would seem to speak to him in ways previous storms had not.

What an original way to use the theme. clap

LabRat smile
Posted By: bakasi Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/29/07 08:45 AM
Oh, wow, thank you Labby. To read these words from you, I'm speechless. Well, not overly so, after all I'm saying something, so to speak wink
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 03/29/07 10:45 AM
I'm glad you guys are still enjoying this. ^_^

Remember if you have an idea for a theme please let me know. I'm totally open to suggestions. laugh
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 04/02/07 12:38 AM
Well, I haven't read any of these yet because I wanted to write my own first. So here it is - 101 words:

~~~~~

Lightning

Lightning flashing across the sky. Lightning lighting up the night. It felt like lightning had pierced his heart.

She didn’t remember him and Lex had taken advantage of that. Wanda Detroit had given her heart to Lex Luthor.

Then she had seemingly come back to him. But she had no memory and Maxwell had taken advantage of that. Lois Lane had given her heart to Dr. Maxwell Dieter.

But didn’t her heart belong to him? Why couldn’t she remember?

Lightning flashing across her mind. Lois remembered! Lightning smile flashing at him. Her heart belonged to Clark Kent. And it always would.

~~~~~

And now for some feedback...

Oooh, Dandello, I really like your first one. The second one was nice, too, but I really liked the first one the best.

Nice, Darcy.

I like that JoJo. There seems to be a frequent theme here... Lois Lane is like lightning.

Nice, Barbara. I thought that was really beautiful.
Who knows what a child knows, Darcy? Can you remember the time when you've barely been two years old? Did you already think, or didn't you? Besides, I said this was bad
The first distinct memory that I have was from when I was 18 months old. So yes, I think it’s very possible that Clark would have known something was different about the storm - and that he could remember it.

Ah, BJ, that was so sweet. I loved that scene where Jessie was floating beside Clark.

*This* is the prologue to my fic.
Yeah! Somebody else did a drabble relating to one of their fics. (I did ‘Weapon’ and related it to A New Hero.)

I loved that bit about Livewire, Lara. You so captured her angst.

Loved it, Lisa. Mayson felt lightning strike when she met Clark Kent!

Jen! Resplendent Man! Cute.
-Lightning-

The storm was still raging.

She liked storms, she had nothing against them. Tonight was different.

He had come in soaked tonight but now he was dozing off on the sofa. She turned to look at him, his head adorably lolling forward onto his chest.

It had changed - she had changed. She no longer wanted the same things. Everything now seemed less real unless she experienced it with him. He had to be there.

And what did she want now? She wanted to be with him, whatever it was that they did.

She walked over and snuggled up to him.

---------------

The Little Tornado.
Posted By: Catherine Bruce Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 04/06/07 10:49 AM
When he was thirteen, Clark was struck by lightning.

Of course, he was rather quite surprised that all he suffered from was a bad 70’s afro for the next couple of days. Thank goodness it was summer!

He saw the look of worry and fear in his mother’s eyes when he told her. Not fear of him, but for him. He knew, though, that if he told anyone else, the fear would be of.

“Mom, I’ve decided something,” he told her one day while baking cookies. “I don’t want people to know. I just want to fit in.”

She gave him that same look then, full of worry for the loneliness she knew his future held.
Posted By: tipiwoman Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 04/12/07 04:57 PM
Lightning
By Nancy V. Sont

The clouds over Kansas were throbbing with light as Clark stood in the open field. He sensed it coming and prepared to race it. The tingle. He shot to the cloud, watching the lightning beside him. Beaten again.

Again on the ground he prepared himself, felt it. In sync with the ions, he shot into the cloud. A tie.

He stood in the wet grass, every sense on high alert. Off like a rocket.

His mother stood on the porch watching, his father’s arm around her shoulders.

“I think he won, Jonathan!”

“No. Another tie.”
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 10/08/07 12:55 PM
I'm sending this one off to the archive tomorrow. So if anyone wants to get in on this one... do it now. thumbsup
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Drabble Challenge: #4 Lightning - 10/10/07 10:56 AM
Okay, this is officially closed and being sent to the archive. You are of course welcome to write more drabbles on this theme but they won't be included on the archive. ^_^
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards