Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/16/07 09:24 AM
I almost picked one of the hard ones today... but I'm just not sure how they would go over. Still holding off on that one. smile

If you don't know the rules by now read them here: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000615

This weeks theme: Pandora’s Box

Sorry last weeks didn't go over as well. Hopefully you guys enjoy this one a bit more. ^_~
Posted By: bakasi Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/16/07 10:48 AM
Oh, Jojo, I love this topic! Am I allowed to try? Am I , am I? Please say yes!!! Okay, I'll do it anyway. wink

------------------------------------------

***Pandora’s Box***

He should never have followed the strange looking man. The adventures H. G. Wells had promised him had turned out to be Pandora’s Box. What he had believed to be the fulfilment of all his dreams was only the beginning of a never ending nightmare. He had come to see everything that made life worth living, everything that he hadn’t known. Whenever he had tried to wrest a better life from his fate, he had lost. Despite all his efforts he wasn’t stronger than those forces that protected the future to keep it this horribly peaceful place that it was.
So this was about Tempus, right, Barbara?

Nice, by the way...
Posted By: bakasi Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/16/07 01:35 PM
Yes, Nancy. You caught me, I wrote something about Tempus
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/16/07 01:36 PM
Oooh! Barbara! I love that! Very nice!!

Haven't been able to think of one yet, but I'm going for my "bus nap" soon (ie: sleeping on the bus, on my way home from work) so there's high chance I'll wake up with an idea for it. laugh
Posted By: Laura S Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/16/07 07:54 PM
Hmm... I've never actually tried this before, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I tried to make it humorous, but then I realized exactly how difficult it was to try and convey emotion in 100 words! jeez. I have a new respect for anyone who's done it. Anyway, this is back in the days when "Mad Dog" Lane started creating her legacy.

+++

He panicked. He had really done it this time. The chances of forgiveness were about zero. No, knowing Lois they were less than zero. She’d find some way of holding on to this, some way to make him pay. Some twisted, horrible sort of revenge. His veins filled with ice at the macabre thought of it. He hadn’t planned on misplacing the file. Or botching her story. Or even coming to work today. He should really look into leaving the country. When she found out that he had lost her work, all hell would let loose. Jimmy. Olsen. Was. Dead.
Posted By: Dandello Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/16/07 08:16 PM
My contribution to the cause:

Feelings

Who would have thought that blue spandex and a red cape could mean so much. Most people looked up to the alien who flew in to the rescue, aiding the emergency workers. He saw relief, joy, hope, even love, on their faces when he swooped in to do what he saw needed to be done. It felt good to be appreciated, even though those with baser motives frequently responded with fear, distaste, even hatred.

A Pandora’s Box of feelings. All for a refugee from another planet who wore blue tights, a red cape and a funny symbol on his chest.
Posted By: BJ Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/17/07 08:09 PM
It's only a drabble, but be kind. It's my first attempt at writing anything Lois and Clark. /me covers eyes and clicks the "post" button.

Pandora's Box

Always curious, her questions drove her relentlessly to discover truth. But everything changed when she fell in love. He discovered her secret desires and used her curiosity to satisfy his own lust for power.

Now, her fingers trembled as they slid over her triumph, his perfect form hidden from her gaze by only the green, translucent casing. His glass tomb embodied years of research, her efforts fulfilled with its restorative capabilities. It was time – time to conquer death and release her beloved. Gretchen threw the switch and smiled as the box opened, unleashing misery upon mankind.

Lex Luthor lives again!

evil

ETA: Gah! I knew I'd obsess about the word order. I edited to rearrange it a bit. blush
BJ
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/19/07 09:25 AM
Oooh! Good topic. I like everyone's drabbles so far.

I'm going to have to hold off on writing one myself for now though--It's 12:25pm, and I haven't done really ANY work today yet because I've been catching up on the boards. I haven't had lunch yet either.
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/19/07 09:30 AM
I wanted to write something. I really, really did. I thought about it, I tried... but there's nothing coming to me. whinging

Maybe I'll do better with next week's challenge!
Ohhh you guys did such a good job with this one!!!

I have been super busy myself so I am hoping to get my written in the next few days. My motivation has been nil lately. frown
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/19/07 07:41 PM
I'm kind of unsatisfied with the ending, but it just wouldn't tie up the way I envisioned it. It is, however, exactly 100 words.

One word—that was all it took. One word, not even backed by any feeling stronger than curiosity, forged a bond of eternal enmity between them.

As Clark remembered his first years in Metropolis, he wondered what might have become of the very first year if he had not so cavalierly thrown out that one word.

A challenge, an intellectual hiccough, an entropic event which sent them spiraling into the duel of the ages.

Clark remembered, and he wondered, how would his life have changed had he not felt the urge to point out that the blade was “Macedonian?”
Posted By: Laura S Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/19/07 09:54 PM
Nice one Darcy. smile
Posted By: Shadow Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/20/07 12:27 AM
Hey, nice one, Darcy!

Okay, here's my first themed drabble. You can't spell 'tragedy' without the T in TOGOM.<g> Or maybe I'm just amusing myself because it's 2:30am. Man, it's HARD to cram something into 100 words!

---

She attracted too much attention and opened Pandora’s Box.

In a horrible, split second, her life collapsed.

Because her job was more than a pencil and some copy. It was even bigger than the criminals she put away and the daily risks she took.

Her job was to keep her partner alive. She would never have admitted it before, but she needed his cautious step to balance her uneven stride. He wasn’t supposed to be as forthright as she was. He wasn’t supposed to protect her tonight.

She may not have pulled the trigger, but she sentenced him to death.
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/20/07 05:42 AM
Oooh! Good one, Darcy!

And Jen... whinging
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/20/07 06:14 AM
Thanks, Laura, Jen and Lara!

I actually went back and edited the last sentence, so it reflected what was actually said in the show.
Posted By: BJ Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/20/07 08:59 AM
Darcy - Oooh, Clark's challenge to Luthor was a nice choice.

A challenge, an intellectual hiccough, an entropic event which sent them spiraling into the duel of the ages.
Smooth. thumbsup It's lines like this that discourage me from writing more L&C.

Jen - Let me add my whinging
He wasn’t supposed to protect her tonight.

She may not have pulled the trigger, but she sentenced him to death.
Poor Clark didn't follow the script and paid the price. mecry

BJ
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/20/07 10:05 AM
Smooth. It's lines like this that discourage me from writing more L&C.
Don't let lines like anything stop you from writing!

Actually, the end of that sentence didn't even come out the way I wanted it to either. But I loved the first part of it, up until "spiralling." I think I originally meant to finish it up with another reference to entropy, and therefore chaos, but I had a brain fart while I was typing that sentence and couldn't think of it until afterward.

What's my point? I think the point I'm trying to make here is that even if you think your own writing isn't good enough, post it anyway--there's bound to be someone who at least appreciates the effort. smile
Posted By: Shadow Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/20/07 11:00 AM
I think the point I'm trying to make here is that even if you think your own writing isn't good enough, post it anyway--there's bound to be someone who at least appreciates the effort.
I'll add a huge ditto! There's something out there for everyone, so never be afraid to try your own twist with words.

JD
Can I also add that the more you write the better you get at it? Especially if you listen to the advice people have to give. I'm sure some of our best writers on the board would cringe if they had to show you some of their first attempts. Everyone has to start somewhere. smile thumbsup
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/20/07 12:19 PM
Yes, exactly, jojo!
Posted By: BJ Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/20/07 02:04 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Don't worry - I plan to continue writing and will post ... eventually. I have a couple of ideas rumbling around in my head, but I promised to finish my other-fandom WIPs before writing L&C stuff.

Unfortunately, I write really slowly mostly due to a vindictive muse. I swear, she's evil.

I'm also a jigsaw puzzle writer, which makes regular posting near impossible. You guys that write stories sequentially and can stick to a regular posting schedule amaze me.
hail
BJ
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/20/07 03:36 PM
Well, I write sequentially, and have nowhere NEAR a regular posting schedule, simply because I may have ideas for the next parts, but until I get the motivation to start typing, the next part just won't come out of my brain, through my fingers, and onto the screen.
Posted By: Dandello Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 03/21/07 08:48 AM
Since a lot of other threads are dealing with Miranda and her potion:

He’d opened Pandora’s Box. There was no going back. He’d thought it was a good idea at the time – pretend to be under the influence of Miranda’s magic potion and declare his love for her, publicly, loudly. That she ran into his arms meant he had beaten his despised rival. It was something they could laugh about later.

There would be no later. He was dying in a kryptonite cage, listening to her marry him, the one who finally beat him. It was his fault insane jealousy got loose, was killing him. All his fault - he’d opened Pandora’s Box.
Cute, Laura. Leading us to believe that was Clark and all...

Interesting take on Clark's views of others feelings for him, Dandello.

Oooh, BJ, I liked the one about Gretchen. It sounded (at least to me) very reminiscent of Superman being revived after his 'death' in the comics.

Nice take on Lex and Clark, Darcy! I love the sword play.

Loved your mini TOGOM, Jen. It nicely summed up Lois' feelings.

Dandello - nice imagery of the feeling of Pandora's Box while Clark lay dying in a Kryptonite cage.

~~

Okay, it took me a while to come up with one (or actually to get it short enough), but here it is. 104 words.

The Gift

Mister Mxyzptlk hated that overdressed clown in a cape. Every time he tried to bring chaos to *his* dimension, Superman always... *always* managed to get him to say Kltpzyxm. Well, this time he had an unshakeable plan. He would present Superman with a gift in the guise of a Kryptonian artifact.

When Clark got home from work, he was wary of the thing sitting on his kitchen table. Although it was covered with Kryptonian symbols, something was wrong - it was most assuredly not from his home planet. Upon touching the box, voices of *evil* invaded his mind. Pandora’s Box would remain closed forever.
I think I'm too verbose for 100 word limitations... Woe me!

Trunk

For almost twenty-five years, it had sat in her trunk. When he was a boy, she would sometime take it out to study it, trying to figure out where her precious little angel had come from. For some reason, she could never bring herself to show him, even when he would ask countless questions revolving around the word ‘why.’ Eventually, she would tell him truthfully that he was simply the answer to every single prayer she’d ever had.

Now, she knew the time had come to open the box. When she held up the piece of cloth to her son, she couldn’t help but smile adoringly at him, at the blanket. Everything was set free now, and with this symbol, she knew she had to share her baby boy with the world.
Posted By: tipiwoman Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 04/12/07 04:43 PM
Pandora’s Box
By Nancy V. Sont

He sat at his large desk and twirled his pencil, remembering. Clark about to open the storage room window. Disappearing under the desk. Pulling on his tie. Running out. His partner always rescued. Sonic booms after he’d leave. Superman stories in his lap. Superman his close friend.

“Kent! My office!”

“Yes, Chief?”

“It may be Pandora’s Box, but you’re going to sit here until you tell me everything.”

“Everything, sir?”

Perry nodded slowly, bore into his eyes and enunciated, “EV-RY-THING!”

Clark raised his eyebrows. “Everything?”

“What? There’s an echo in here?”

Clark shifted uncomfortably.
I am sending this collection to the archive at the end of the day. So if you have anything you would like to add... now is the time to do it. smile
Posted By: LabRat Re: Drabble Challenge: #3 Pandora’s Box - 09/04/07 01:32 PM
I am sending this collection to the archive at the end of the day.
clap

LabRat laugh
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards