Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/28/06 12:49 PM
Does anyone ever wonder how our favorite characters would be different if everyone's gender were reversed? Aside from the obvious, of course.

Let's face it; men and women *are* different. Society expects different things from us. We're raised different, and may even be naturally disposed to different patterns of behavior, and different ways of looking at things. How much does gender affect our very personalities?

Would Clark Kent be so easy-going if (s)he had to fend off guys? Would Lois have gotten engaged to Luthor if, traditionally, *(s)he* was supposed to be the one sweeping damsels off their feet?

Or would they all be the same, just with different parts and lower/higher voices?

You tell me. huh
Posted By: alcyone Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/28/06 01:36 PM
Fun! If done right, this could be so interesting.

Almost makes me want to try my hand at it...*mentally files idea away*
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/28/06 05:32 PM
Ooohhh... Great idea. I'd like to see it!

<giggles...>

Claire Kent becomes Superwoman.

Somebody Lane becomes Mad Dog Lane.

So does that mean Lex Luthor sweeps Ms. Kent off her feet? Or does that mean Mad Dog Lane sweeps Alexa or Lexa Luthor off her feet?

Or does Somebody Lane sweep Superwoman off her feet?

I like this idea. Great concept!!

I'd like to see it.
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/29/06 07:09 PM
After hearing shayne talk about about this in the IRC channel I have to say it has gotten me thinking all day on this one.

I imagine male Lois (Louis as Shayne suggested) would still jump into things head first. I imagine him being a smooth talker who is very good at convincing you of going along with their wild schemes and almost goes into babble mode but not quite. I imagine they would still be agressive but not quite so much as Lois is since they are a man in a mans world... instead of a woman in a mans world proving herself. I still imagine the background of having been jilted by several ladies however and that makes him a bit spooked on love. Maybe Claudette (surelly we could think of a better than than this) had come into his life and made him fall in love with him. He was going to propose only to have her laugh in his face. Maybe we change the story a bit to make it so that Louis was the veteran at the time and Claudette was using him to get experience in reporting and that was why she was so chummy with him. She turns down the proposal and throws it in his face making him skittish on love.

Then we have Claire. I imagine her as being quiet and polite and a bit more aggressive than her make counterpart Clark. She is in this story trying to make her name in reporting. I still think she should cover more of the touchy feely stuff though like Clark always did. She wears her hair in a ponytail and has dark heavy glasses (Think Jill Carroll style http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2006/0601/jill_carroll0110.jpg) and makes her way to the Daily Planet to make a name for herself. I imagine she has the same problems as Clark did proving herself and getting a job though. smile I think she would still deeply care for people though. I see her having a past though where she is also a bit scarred as she isn't very confident in herself because she has always been stronger than most men and this has intimidated them. She tries to assume a shy demure persona with most people to cover up that strength lest anyone find out more of her secret. I imagine her starting off a bit shy around Louis only to come out of her shell as she gets to know him better personally and be a smart *** like Clark was. However, she would always have lots of confidence in her reporting.

I see Perry pairing her and Louis up only to have Louis push her away as she might be trying to ride his coat tails to reporting fame. Eventually Claire's personality starts to win him over and they would settle into a great friendship from there.

I imagine "Superwoman" would give Claire the freedom to be a bit more confident and aware of herself. I can see her beig able to express some of the feelings she has for Louis through this persona and she does so with out feeling like she would be rejected. Instead of being jealous that Louis is infatuated with Superwoman... she becomes upset that she has created such a web of lies that he may not trust her now. She knows that he is okay with her strength but finds herself in a delima to get him to see her for everything she is.

Hmm just rough thoughts on it. I really really wish I could write well enough to do this one.
Posted By: alcyone Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/29/06 09:42 PM
That's interesting, I hadn't thought about it that way. What popped into my mind originally was some scenario where they switched bodies.

I imagined a scene where before the body switch they interview with guy X who ignores Lois and only answers Clark's questions. As she flies off the handle, Clark calms her down telling her that what happened wasn't related to her being female. Post body switch they interview the guy again and this time Clark-in-Lois gets pretty much ignored. Thus, Lois gets the 'I told you so' trophy. Ha.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/29/06 10:57 PM
I just love this idea. I can also envision Claire to not be quite as self assured as Clark.

What about Luthor - Lex or Alexa??

And would Claire need to use glasses? Wouldn't a super tight outfit and a wig do the trick, too? Although, glasses should just really be part of it all, shouldn't it?
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/29/06 11:13 PM
Luthor would have to be Alexa. I can't imagine Claire being both Superwoman and her normal persona and being fooled by a male Lex.

I would invision Claire with glasses and pulled back hair in her normal persona and in the Superwoman persona no glasses and hair down.

Then again... we could have her costume have a mask. Although I'm pretty fond of this costume:
http://www.superman-v.com/images/supergirl%202.jpg

It pretty much kicks butt.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/30/06 12:22 AM
Oh, my, yes that's a great costume, but I can't imagine sweet Claire bearing her belly. Maybe like this, but no bare abdomen.

I kind of like the idea of Lex fruitlessly trying to win Claire's heart.

I really, really like this idea. I'm thinking maybe I'd even consider writing it. Maybe.

More ideas!!
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/30/06 07:17 AM
Now that I think about it, having Lex chase after her might be fun. I could see her going along with it just to bring him down. Of course poor Louis would be extremely jealous about the whole thing. laugh

Also, the original Supergirl suit didn't show the belly, but in the latest comics for her they do. smile

If you write the story, I could probably be persuaded to beta for you and help throw some ideas around. smile
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/30/06 07:56 AM
Years ago, I thought of an idea where Clark, or Lois, gets thrown into a way far parallel by Tempus and end up in a universe where the genders were reversed.

Clara Kent
Louis Lane
Priscilla & Alex White
Jamie Olsen
Kit Grant
Lexa Luthor
Joanna & Martin Kent
Rachel(Ralph)
Claudette
Lance Lang
Samantha Lane & Eli Lane

This universe was a matriarchal society, so the names would still be the same.

I never got past the basics of the story, but I did think that the Clark and Louis would become good friends.

Soulmates does not mean that there has to be a sexual element to it. I thought of it as more like Alan and Mark from Nan Smith's wonderful Terran Underground series or David and Jonathan from the Bible. Two men that were closer than brothers, willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of the other. Ditto for Clara and Lois.

James
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/30/06 03:26 PM
Hmm...The Louis & Clark Expidition! goofy
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/30/06 05:45 PM
I think I like the idea of Claire or Clara being a woman in a man's world.

Pitch out some more ideas. I'm really considering doing this.
Posted By: Catherine Bruce Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/30/06 09:06 PM
For some reason, with all the gender changes, I couldn't see Martha and Jonathan switching roles... I don't know why!

This one's got me thinking, too... smirk

And hee! You know, Clara Kent would probably remind me of that Disney show 'Hannah Montana.' (Shoosh I watch it! Leemee aloooone!) Maybe, like her, Superwoman could wear a blond wig laugh Maybe some contacts, but eh.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/30/06 09:56 PM
No, I don't see Martha and Jonathan switching either, except maybe Martha might not ever pose in the nude.

Yeah, maybe a blond wig would be good. Gentlemen seem to like blonds....

Contacts would never work. I remember reading a story (very good author) where one of our heroes wore contacts. They'd never work - how would one use one's heat vision without melting said contacts? I suppose Bernie could come up with something special, but I'd think they'd either diminish the power of the heat vision or if they have a hole in the middle of them the contacts could still be melted. Oh, I can see it - melt the contact and it falls out (wouldn't hurt the hero, you know) and somebody says, "Oh, wow, your eyes are really brown."

I've never heard of Hannah Montana, but hey, I used to watch 'HeMan'. Hehehehe...

Ah, hey, Queen of the Capes, I just re-read your first post. Imagine a premenstral or menstral Ms. Kent up against a bad guy. He'd head for the hills....
Posted By: Catherine Bruce Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/31/06 01:13 AM
*giggles* I can imagine, somewhere down the road, Clara telling someone about how she stumbled along in the beginning...

"Yeah, I tried contacts in the beginning, and everything worked fine! ...Until I had to use my heat vision, and I had to find a way to explain to the poor lady why I sudden;y had brown eyes instead of Violet... yeah I know, Violet. I was young! They were cool!"
Posted By: ccmalo Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/31/06 04:22 AM
This thread reminded me of Sheila Harper's story: Walk in My Shoes web page Lois & Clark fanfic archive - very, very gender bending <g>

(hope I got the link to work smile )

c.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 08/31/06 07:53 AM
It works. I'll put it on my list.
Posted By: ShayneT Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/02/06 08:03 AM
So when are people going to start writing the stories?

I've been talking about this story idea for years but never did anything with it. I think that a lot of traits that are cute in a female Lois wouldn't be nearly attractive in a male- the workaholism, the bruqueness, the abrasiveness.

Some things might be less prominent- as a man in a man's world, Louis wouldn't have to prove himself as much. He might not have quite the same drive.

He might be even more of a risk taker, what with all the testosterone <g>. I see him as being something of a war correspondant, and not the kind that sits in a hotel room and takes stories from the army.

Claire, I think, couldn't be as open as the male Clark has been. She'd have been propositioned many times, and wouldn't be able to pretend to be oblivious like Clark had. She'd be more sophisticated and more subtle.

Anyway, to start things off, I've written a vignette based off a twist on this idea. Role reversal, over in the fanfic section.

Lets see the stories folcs<g>.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/02/06 10:40 AM
Okay, when I originally posted feedback on your story and asked if you had written the story based on this thread, I mentioned that I was writing a story - then I edited my post and deleted that part. I didn't want you to think I was stepping on your toes or vice versa.

Anyway, I liked your story. It was great. And yes, I'm writing a story. But before I can give it my full attention, I have to finish A New Hero. Just trying to edit the round robin and writing A New Hero at the same time darn near drove me crazy (I'm close enough as it it - hehe).

I so love this idea. This was something new to me (other than the body switch idea). And yes, Lois as Louis or whomever (I doubt I'll use that name.) would not come across as brusque as Lois. But then if 'Louis' had those qualities, he might not be seen the same way. I do like the idea of him having done war journalism. I can imagine an embedded journalist in Iraq or some such.

I don't see Claire as being so oblivious or innocent as Clark would have been. She would be a beautiful woman and even a super beautiful woman could fall charms to a wilely male. I can especially see this happening when she was younger.

I also like the idea of Lex Luthor pursuing Claire endlessly. She will tease him and give him hope in order to bring him down. She is a woman after all and she will use her womanly charms. But in most ways, she will be sweet and trusting.

Mostly what I have now is disjointed notes, but if I can get some little snippet of a story together, I'll post something here. So Shayne, since you like this idea, do you want to be beta on it?
Posted By: alcyone Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/02/06 11:33 AM
Thanks for the link CC, that's exactly what I was looking for!

alcyone
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/12/06 06:23 PM
So Classicalla are you still planning on writing something for this?
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/13/06 01:45 PM
Yes, jojo, I do have some ideas and have even written a bit, but I have to finish my other story first.

Here's a little bit of what I've written. It hasn't been edited yet.

They had been to town to pick up a few things for the farm and were now on their way back home. The day was quiet and sunny and they were having a lovely conversation. As they listened to Patsy Cline on the radio they noticed a sudden streak rage across the sky. It came so close to the truck that the driver nearly wrecked but he was able to regain control of the truck at the last moment.

"Jonathan! Stop the truck! Did you see that?"

"Did I *see* that?! Of course I did. It almost caused me to drive off the side of the road."

"I said stop the truck. You obviously didn't see what I saw."

"Okay, okay already. Don't get your panties in a wad. I know something came out of the sky and it almost hit the truck. What the heck? Do you think that was some satellite or something?"

"Maybe. Whatever it was, I saw it land." Martha pointed. "There, in Shuster's (ck spelling) field." She got out of the truck and started running toward to object."

"Now, Martha. Wait a minute. We don't know what that is."

"I'm going, Jonathan. And that's it!"

When Jonathan caught up to her, she was picking up something. She turned to him and said, "Look, Jonathan it's a baby. Will you look at these big ole' beautiful brown eyes."

"Well, we can't keep him."

"Why not? If someone thought so little of this baby to shoot him into space then why should we report this. This was meant to be Jonathan. I feel it in my bones. This baby was sent to us. Oh, my, Jonathan. This little one just wet all over the place."

"Well, what do you want me to do about that. Isn't that what babies do?"

"I'm just saying that because we are going to need some diapers. I'm sure I've got something I can use at home as a temporary fix for this, but after you take me to the house you are going to have to go back to town. We need some diapers and rubber pants, and some baby t-shirts and some bottles and formula. Oh, I'll have to make you a list. Oh, and you are going to have to do something with that... that... thing they had him in. You get the truck and bring it over here and I'll help you get it in the back of the truck."

As he knew there was no sense argueing with Martha Clark Kent, he complied with her wishes. When he pulled up beside the spaceship, she lay the baby in the seat. Then she helped Jonathan put the ship in the truckbed. Then they quietly drove back to the farm.

When they arrived back at the farmhouse, Martha smiled and said, "Well, I guess we'll have to unload that thing before you go to town. Then we can figure out what to do with it later." They quickly unloaded the spaceship then walked into the house.

"He's awful quiet Martha. Is that normal?"

"Some babies are quieter than others. This one's just takin' in the sites."

"Oh. Well make me that list so I can go to town. What are we gonna tell folks?"

"Oh, we'll say he is the illegitimate child of my cousin. Give me a couple of those good linen dish towels."

"What for?"

"I'm going to use them for a diaper until you bring some home."

"Now, Martha, you can't do that."

"Would you rather me use one of your undershirts?" He handed her the good dish towels. She smiled. "Well, Jonathan, youv'e been calling this little one a him but she's not a him."

After she changed the baby, Martha quickly wrote down a list of the most necessary items. "Now you be thinking about a name on your way to town. You might want to fetch Ethan or ask him to come as soon as possible."

"Ethan? Is the baby sick?"

"No, but I believe he'll help us with the birth certificate."

"Oh. Doc Ethan's a good man."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Jonathan returned, he found Martha in the rocking chair singing to their new daughter. "Martha, I got the stuff you needed. She must be pretty hungry. Ethan said he'd stop by this evening."

"Did you tell him why?"

"No. I just told him we needed to talk to him. I couldn't think of a name one, Martha, except Clark for your maiden name and we can't name a girl Clark."

"Well, how about Claire? That's a good solid name."

"Yes, I think you're right, Martha. It seems to fit. She sure is beautiful, isn't she?"

"Yes, she is Jonathan. Yes, she is."
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/13/06 04:33 PM
By the way, I'm going to need help from a male to get the male Lois right. Any takers??
Posted By: bakasi Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/15/06 05:15 AM
I have another interesting idea....What if Claire Kent gets pregnant? The father would of course be Mr. Lane. Even for a Superheroine a pregnancy wouldn't be easy to hide. Would she retire for about nine month (boring !!!!)?

Everyone would know, that she has to have a boy-friend. I can see the press chasing her. wildguy wildguy wildguy

And what an incident that Claire is pregnant, too.

And what about the symptoms of a pregnancy? Nausea in the morning, Superwoman has to hide away somewhere to - you know what I speak of.
And there could also be some weirder things, we are speaking about a Kryptonian girl.... wink
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/15/06 12:40 PM
Ooooooh!

Bakasi, I like the way you think! laugh

Everyone has so many great ideas. There are so many possibilities! Ya think this could be a new genre of fic?? eek
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/15/06 04:18 PM
Believe it or not, I've actually considered this idea! The story isn't that far along yet, though. She hasn't even met Mr. Lane yet!

The bit about Martha and Jonathan finding her is mostly a prologue. There won't be much to that.

I believe that I will Ms. Kent, Claire, but I've thought that instead of using the term 'farmboy' (obviously) Mr. Lane would call her Clara Belle. What do you think?

I still don't know about an idea for a male name for Lois. I'm not keen on the idea of Louis or Lowell. Any ideas??

I have a nice little scene in mind where a menopausal Claire gets a little huffy. laugh

I'll consider any and all suggestions!! You've already seen the baby Claire scene (pre-edit).
I plan on having a very amorous Lex chasing Claire and she will use her feminine charms to get the goods on him.

Okay, I don't necessarily see Claire as virginal when she first gets together with Mr. Lane. Of course, Mr. Lane would still be the love of her life. I was thinking of not only making Mr. Lane having been hurt by women, but also having Claire hurt by a man. But she will still have a good outlook and won't be jaded. Comments? What do you all want to see??
Posted By: bakasi Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/17/06 01:23 AM
What about Lucas? That wouldn't be so far away either. Or Liam? A Mr. Kent with an Irish background could be interesting, too. Would fit to the "Lois is catholic" - thoughts(Drinks too much and Clara/Claire has to stop him !? Would be interesting too if he makes her drink a lot and she remains sober wink That could be damaging his male pride laugh )
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/17/06 03:12 AM
I like Lucas. Or how about Luca?
Posted By: bakasi Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/17/06 05:06 AM
Luca sounds nice too, though in my language it would be more a girl's name ( I think. It's not very common). Of course a possible misunderstanding is always something good! smile1 smile1

One of my fellow students is a boy called Nicola. During one of the classes he was called Frau (Ms./Mrs.) .... several times. laugh laugh

Poor guy!
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/18/06 02:54 PM
I've had a thought that I've been thinking about lately...

Um...regarding Clara's...virginity....

*cough*

Would it even be possible, given that she's...um...invulnerable? (If nobody knows what I mean, then I'll just shut up and slowly shuffle away.)
Posted By: Matrix Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/18/06 03:36 PM
Oooh, I know what you mean! Wow! Hadn't thought of that one... hmm... interesting problem.
Posted By: ccmalo Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/19/06 04:14 AM
re the , uh, interesting problem. Irene Dutch deals with this in one of her family series, as does Gerry A. in 'Northern Lights'. laugh

c.
Posted By: JoMurf Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/19/06 04:47 AM
Thank you, CC. I was trying to think of Gerry's story title (as well as the author's name) for quite some time. Northern Lights is one of the few fics that stuck with me for a long time that I haven't had a chance to re-read as I had forgotten the key information. Very good fic!

Julie
Posted By: bakasi Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/19/06 09:19 AM
As to your problem: It's not necessaryly a problem. It depends on how well developed the...you know is. That's different with every woman.

But you could of course make it a problem. I won't stop you there. blush
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/19/06 10:19 AM
I've actually thought about that, but as bakasi said it's different for most women. The pain of the first time is not necessarily from the hymen breaking. I'd say it's usually more from things being 'tight' due to relative non use before. Most of the time the hymen breaks when a girl is growing up and playing rowdily anyway. Then too, think about certain feminine products. There is a rare condition that can prevent sexual relations and requires surgery, but have no fear, our hero won't have that problem. Even if she did have a minor problem, wouldn't she be able to fix it herself - if you know what I mean?

I've decided to make her somewhat 'experienced', but she will be an actual virgin in the way most people view that. A nice little scene popped in my head the other day, and it cried out that Lucas, or what ever his name will be, would be the 'first'.

Any more suggestions, plot lines, or names are appreciated. Bring them on!

I've decided that the only players who will be a different sex will be Claire / Clara and the Lois character. Cat will try to take Claire under her wing. Haha! laugh
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/19/06 10:30 AM
Ah....I see. Ok.

Clas, Would Lucas and Cat have been an item at one point? *Hee* laugh
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/19/06 05:44 PM
Well, Capes, I've considered that, but I don't know how that would go over. What do you all think? Will Lucas have been one of Cat's conquests?
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/19/06 07:11 PM
For those of you curious... it seems someone did take on a premise kind of like this a few years ago:

http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2003/grassis.txt

They pointed me to their story when we were talking about it tonight. ^_^
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/19/06 08:33 PM
Talking about it where? (just curious) On the IRC?

I put it on my list, but I did see at the beginning that it mentioned Shayne, and since he has commented here, I wonder if the premise is slightly different? It appears to be based on a dream. It's short, and I'd love to read it now, but I'm developing a migraine.

I know I've read some body swapping fics, too.

I hope mine will be as enjoyable as some of the other stuff I've read, but it won't be a dream or include any body swapping.
Posted By: alcyone Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/19/06 09:45 PM
Oooh let me know if you remember what body swapping ones you've read. I read one someone recommended here, but I'd love to read some more. It's always fun to see what chaos ensues.
Posted By: bakasi Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/20/06 08:02 AM
I'm starting to wonder how the risk taking character of Mr. Lane will cope with a female Superhero rescuing him all the time....

And how can Clara/Claire step in front of him to protect him? I can imagine that he would react like this... mad

Would he really be a Superwoman-Groupie? Or is he rather embarrased? confused
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/20/06 01:43 PM
I believe Superwoman will have to be a little more subtle with her rescues. Wouldn't want to hurt the male ego, now would we?

I don't imagine Mr. Lane will openly a groupie, but he will be an big admirer of Superwoman and a 'private' groupie.
Posted By: bakasi Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 09/22/06 10:35 AM
But I think it might be intersting to have a Mr. Lane paying a little more attention to Claire first, but maybe not the way she likes to be noticed: As human being with a brain.

He could also have a Mayson Drake kind of attitude towards Superwoman until she is able to impress him.

And then we might see Claire doing this: wallbash wallbash wallbash wallbash
She might ask herself why she had destroyed every hope to get him as a normal woman when she rescued him being that incredible strong lady with long legs and a so fantastic body...
Posted By: JudeMustard Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 10/07/06 03:46 AM
ML Thompson has written a trilogy that explores this idea. It's called "A Matter of Destiny" and this is the link to the first story .

Be sure to send her lots of lovely FDK after you read it! smile

-- Jude
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 10/07/06 07:32 AM
Well, I've got some interestingm ideas on this one:

People:
Louis (or Lewis?) Lane, hopping in and out of women's beds on a regular basis (Just like his dad, Sam Lane); male ego in overplus

Claire (Jessica) Kent, also known as Kala Jor-El (Kryptonian females usually don't bear the family name, but their father's full name instead!) or Superwoman; developing a soft spot for Louis, but being put off by his constantly changing affairs

Jane Olsen, cub reporter and photographer with no ego whatsoever

Cat Grant, Louis' lover - whenever it suits hiM

Lex Luthor, local billionaire and criminal mastermind, fascinated with Superwoman - What could maké him feel more powerful than having her for a wife?

Lance Lang, first born son of his parents (he has four younger sisters), lots of male ego, Clara's still possessive and jealous high-school boyfriend

Perry White, Martha and Jonathan Kent as usual

I like the idea of the virginity problem. In fact, that was about the first problems that sprang to my mind (I know, it's telling..).
This could lead to an interesting plotline. Perhaps Claire tries to have sex with someone (Lex? Louis?) but it just doesn't work because she is , well, built tightly and invulnerable on top. Or perhaps Louis later tries to get to her (I'm talking pheromone-induced lust here) while Claire is still suffering from exposure to kryptonite, meaning vulnerable and maybe even affected by Miranda's "Eau de Sweat Socks"...

Of course, there is the pregnancy problem as well. Perhaps Claire can get her powers transferred to Louis - or maybe Jane? If the Superwoman costume indeed contained a blond wig, this could probably work! Of course, Jane would have to know the secret, but it would be funny all the same.

Another idea: Claire and Jane hang out together and get stuck by lightning, so Jane posseses the same power as Claire. They might decide to share the superhero duties in Metropolis. This would give them both some time to themselves as well as securing their secret identities.

Better still, have Jane's powers transferred to Louis afterwards (as in the Ultrawoman plot), leaving her powerless. Then Ultraman (or what do we call him?) will try to hit on Superwoman. There's some potential..

Louis, on the other hand, would not particularly like to be saved by a woman all the time, but he certainly will make comments about her physique - preferably in the newsroom, maybe even to Claire (or Jane, for that matter!)

If I weren't writing another story right now, I'd start with this one. Well, it is on my to do list! Perhaps I'll get it done till the end of November...
Posted By: ShayneT Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 10/07/06 08:34 AM
Well, I've written one interpretation of this, entitled Gender Bender. I'm sure everybody else would have a different interpretation.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 10/07/06 10:46 PM
Interesting ideas, Olympe.

I have planned for Louis or Luca to have a tryst history with Cat Grant, but he won't be actively bed hopping from one person to another.

For the story I'm working on, I still haven't decided on a name for 'Lois'. I've been thinking of using Luca.

I have also been thinking of using the name 'Kala', but I was reluctant because, well, Kala-El sounds a little unwieldy.

I hadn't come up with a middle name for Claire. Jessica sounds good.

Jimmy will still be Jimmy.

I have also chosen the name Lance Lang who will indeed be an ex-boyfriend. He won't be the only one around from her past, though.

Lex Luthor will be enamored with Claire - not Superwoman.

~~~

I like the idea of the virginity problem.
I will probably not use the 'romantic' view of virginity. Being a nurse, I very much plan to be pragmatic.

Bakasi, also a person knowledgeable about medical things, said this:

As to your problem: It's not necessarily a problem. It depends on how well developed the...you know is. That's different with every woman.
Then I said this:

I've actually thought about that, but as bakasi said it's different for most women. The pain of the first time is not necessarily from the hymen breaking. I'd say it's usually more from things being 'tight' due to relative non use before. Most of the time the hymen breaks when a girl is growing up and playing rowdily anyway.
I won't say things won't be bit difficult, but it won't be 'typical'.
~~~~

Hmmm... yes, I'm considering a pregnancy. A transfer of powers might be interesting, but I doubt I'll use that.

The general consensus seems to be the Superwoman be a brunette. I have a solution, but I'm not telling right now...
If the Superwoman costume indeed contained a blond wig,
Yes, I'm using this idea. It's already been suggested to me.
Louis, on the other hand, would not particularly like to be saved by a woman all the time, but he certainly will make comments about her physique - preferably in the newsroom, maybe even to Claire
Go for it, Olympe. I just hope we don't start posting at the same time. That might be a disaster...
If I weren't writing another story right now, I'd start with this one. Well, it is on my to do list
And finally, my story won't be the hard hitting story that Shayne's was. I'm more a waffy, romantic type of person...
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 10/08/06 09:51 AM
I wouldn't call Lois' male counterpart Luca, though. I believe that Luca or maybe Luke would be much better suited for his 'younger brother'...

Besides, we could e-mail when we intend to start posting.
Posted By: ShayneT Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 10/08/06 05:50 PM
Hard hitting? I didn't know it was. Hmmm...
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 10/09/06 07:42 AM
Well, it was set in a war zone. It was a compliment! Nancy
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 10/26/06 12:11 PM
I've just found something interesting:
In Superman (volume 1) #349 (in a story entitled "The Turnabout Trap!"), Superman returns from an interstellar mission to find that everyone on Earth are of opposite sex. Among them are Penny White (a female Perry White), Jenny Olsen (a female Jimmy Olsen), Louis Lane (a male Lois Lane), Batwoman (a female Batman, rather than the actual character), Wonder Warrior (a male Wonder Woman), Black Condor (a male Black Canary), and Superwoman (his female counterpart) herself. Believing he crossed into a parallel universe, Superman flies back to space to find a dimensional portal, but is blocked by an invisible barrier. He notices the parallelism fails when he sees Superwoman and Clara Kent (Superwoman's presumed secret identity) are two separate people.

After a battle with Superwoman, Superboy (a male Supergirl), and Wonder Warrior, Superman figures out that his foe Mr. Mxyzptlk is behind this gender-reversed world; Superman discovers as well as that he was never in a parallel universe, but rather on Earth, which Mxyzptlk had altered with his magic. After making Mxyzptlk say his name backwards and thus returning to his native dimension, the effects of Mxyzptlk's magic (including the existence of Superwoman) vanish, returning the Earth to normal.
(from wikipedia )
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 10/26/06 07:41 PM
Oh, that's marvelous. I think I actually have that issue. It must have been one that I didn't manage to read for some reason....
Posted By: ealperin Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/15/12 11:40 PM
Just popping in... Was directed here by some lovely folks, in regards to my own genderbend Clois fic... wink Using Claire for Clark, and Louis for Lois...

Skimmed through the posts... Very interesting discussion you folks have, up here! smile

Problem is, for mine, I'm thinking of using some episode where Lois, either already knows about Clark's secret ID, or she's just finding out about it....

Planning to have drama, sexual tension, sarcasm, and...well, of course Superheroics with Louis "smitten" by Superwoman, everytime she comes by. wink

Any sugesstions would be awesome! smile .
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/16/12 12:54 PM
Somethign I've been thinking about (way back then) is the following scenario:
Although Louis is pretty smitten with Superwoman, he would never admit it freely. After all, a super-strong, invulnerable, better-than-everyone woman is not considered cool by most of his male peers. So, he resorts to making off-handed comments about her looks or other attributes. (I imagine that especially the nickname "Maid of Steel" won't sit well with Claire, if only because it hits too close to home.)
Posted By: ealperin Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/16/12 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
Somethign I've been thinking about (way back then) is the following scenario:
Although Louis is pretty smitten with Superwoman, he would never admit it freely. After all, a super-strong, invulnerable, better-than-everyone woman is not considered cool by most of his male peers. So, he resorts to making off-handed comments about her looks or other attributes. (I imagine that especially the nickname "Maid of Steel" won't sit well with Claire, if only because it hits too close to home.)
YES!!! You just hit it on the nail, there!!!

notworthy
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/16/12 02:19 PM
Well, I did consider writing it, but shied away from the task because it was too much work. As a matter of fact, I still have the first two or three chapters on my hard drive...

Another thing I've been thinking about is Claire's Superwoman disguise. A wig might not work so well, as it would easily come off if she flies too fast. However, what if she wears her hair really long, like down to her knees, usually open or partially open? As Superwoman, she could wear her hair as a braid, most of which could be hidden in a pouch in the cape.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/16/12 03:00 PM
A wig might not work so well, as it would easily come off if she flies too fast.
wave Michael
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/16/12 03:47 PM
Don't know what you're talking about. (Jaded?) Besides, you know much more about computers than I do... It's just common sense applied to a hypothetical scenario.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/16/12 03:56 PM
As Superwoman, she could wear her hair as a braid, most of which could be hidden in a pouch in the cape.
The one problem with the braid idea (which I've tossed around for one my fics) is that wouldn't it become unraveled during the course of a rescue, especially one dealing with mud, or high winds, or fire, or falling debris, or a fistfight, or some such thing.

The pocket is an interesting idea, but I can't see her leaving her hair really long. Wouldn't it get caught in stuff? "Superwoman was on the way to rescue today, when her hair got tangled up in some trees in the Amazon..." This would explain why the writers / producer / actress wink decided to cut Lois' hair. laugh
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/17/12 07:03 AM
Why would hair get caught up in anything if it's braided and the braid securely stuffed into a pouch?
Posted By: ealperin Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/17/12 08:12 AM
Why would hair get caught up in anything if it's braided and the braid securely stuffed into a pouch?
Don't know, but.. maybe flyaway strands? Just guessing, here... frown
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/17/12 09:20 AM
Because unless the pouch covers her entire head or reaches up to where her head meets her neck at least, there is still hair long enough to get tangled in branches. I'm sure Superman could pull out of such entanglements easily, but it couldn't be good for the trees. wink
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/18/12 12:45 PM
Don't know what you're talking about. (Jaded?) Besides, you know much more about computers than I do... It's just common sense applied to a hypothetical scenario.
cool

Michael
Posted By: BJ Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/18/12 04:46 PM
I'm sure Superman could pull out of such entanglements easily, but it couldn't be good for the trees.
rotflol rotflol rotflol
I just got this great mental image of superwoman flying through the air with a couple of trees (roots and all) trailing along behind her.

LOL!

Thanks,
B
Posted By: ealperin Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/18/12 07:26 PM
Originally posted by BJ:
I'm sure Superman could pull out of such entanglements easily, but it couldn't be good for the trees.
rotflol rotflol rotflol
I just got this great mental image of superwoman flying through the air with a couple of trees (roots and all) trailing along behind her.

LOL!

Thanks,
B
^FLAWLESS IMAGERY PERFECTION.^
Posted By: Christina Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/21/12 02:54 AM
Just adding my two cents. In both Supergirl and the imaginary stories involving a superpowered Lois (aka Krypton Girl, "The Superwoman of Metropolis" and "Lois Lane's Super Dream" mostly) both have her wearing wigs so it's not completely far-fetched that she (Claire/female Clark) would wear one. I do know that the Rule 63 cosplay of Superman just pulls her hair back a little in both versions and wears glasses as Clarissa Kent (Clark) but makes the Superwoman hair a little more poofy on top (source: Kit Quinn\'s Tumblr .)

Source info on a Superpowered Lois
Posted By: ealperin Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/30/12 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Christina:
Just adding my two cents. In both Supergirl and the imaginary stories involving a superpowered Lois (aka Krypton Girl, "The Superwoman of Metropolis" and "Lois Lane's Super Dream" mostly) both have her wearing wigs so it's not completely far-fetched that she (Claire/female Clark) would wear one. I do know that the Rule 63 cosplay of Superman just pulls her hair back a little in both versions and wears glasses as Clarissa Kent (Clark) but makes the Superwoman hair a little more poofy on top (source: Kit Quinn\'s Tumblr .)

Source info on a Superpowered Lois
Sorry to get off on a tangent, but, I KNOW KIT!!!! laugh I follow & chat with her on Tumblr. Her cosplay's are fantastic!!!! Every. Single. One. Of. Them. Great cosplayer, and talented individual, at that. Kind-hearted & lovely lady to speak with, too.
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/30/12 03:07 PM
Well, I did consider writing it, but shied away from the task because it was too much work. As a matter of fact, I still have the first two or three chapters on my hard drive...

Another thing I've been thinking about is Claire's Superwoman disguise. A wig might not work so well, as it would easily come off if she flies too fast. However, what if she wears her hair really long, like down to her knees, usually open or partially open? As Superwoman, she could wear her hair as a braid, most of which could be hidden in a pouch in the cape.
The methods Supergirl uses in my latest Supergirl story might be of interest. It's my feeling that there are very few people so unique that they don't have some doubles, and one way to make people discount the resemblance is to lamplight it - e.g. someone who says "Do you think this hairstyle makes me look like Superwoman?" is probably not Superwoman, however much she looks like her.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/17/13 02:37 PM
There's now a taker: Thread in Fanfic Related
Louis and Clara

wave Michael
Posted By: John Lambert Re: Gender-Bender Challenge - 04/24/13 04:37 PM
I have to say that story is really good, and more than living up to any expectations.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards