Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: LabRat Story Idea - 05/27/04 04:48 AM
Posting this on behalf of a lurker, who has the following idea for any author who wants to take up the challenge and write it up:

this idea came about because of JAG's season finale, where Sarah has an unknown health problem, at least to us, the viewers. I thought the problem could be endometrosis, where the treatment would be for her to get pregnant ASAP, giving her body a rest from having cycles, or taking shots to put her in menopause for many months. Those are actual treatments, btw. Anyway, since there was no guarantee that the forced menopause would work, having this problem forces Lois to realize that she doesn't like the possibility that she might have to have a hysterectomy if the temporary menopause doesn't work, removing all chance of her having a baby in the future. Lois decides to take the pregnancy route, but, alas, who could be the father?

BTW, I realize that Clark volunteering to father a baby for Lois has already been written, but this story would add a health aspect to the situation...
LabRat smile
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Story Idea - 05/27/04 05:32 AM
BTW, I realize that Clark volunteering to father a baby for Lois has already been written, but this story would add a health aspect to the situation...
Where?! Where has it been written???

And what's endo-whatsis? confused
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Story Idea - 05/27/04 08:11 AM
SQD did one in Nfic on www.annesplace.com called "What are Friends For"

I just recently read it and the love scenes are yummy.

TEEEEJ
Posted By: SuperRoo Re: Story Idea - 05/27/04 10:25 AM
Yeah! I just read that one a day or two ago. It was a VERY good read. I wish there where more like it.
Posted By: DocJill Re: Story Idea - 05/28/04 01:39 PM
It's an interesting idea. Pregnancy would give the woman a break from her menstrual cycles, but I've never heard any of the OB/Gyns that I've worked with suggest that as a treatment. The most common treatment for endometriosis is to just put the woman on birth control pills, to regulate her cycles and control the hormones.
Endometriosis is actually considered a fairly common cause of infertility - so actually most people would have difficulty getting pregnant with endometriosis.

Oh, and endometriosis is when there is endometrial tissue (the stuff that lines the inside of our uteruses and that we shed (bleed) during periods) in places that it shouldn't be - like the ovaries, on the outside of the uterus and inside the abdomen. It usually causes a lot of pelvic pain and heavy, painful periods.

Could get an interesting story out of the idea; if I had more time I'd try to play with it, but alas...

Jill goofy
Posted By: HatMan Re: Story Idea - 05/28/04 02:02 PM
Actually, Jill, I know someone who did use that as a treatment. I'm pretty sure it was the same condition.

Basically, they said that getting pregnant would work as a temporary solution. No periods while she's pregnant, so she'd be out of danger during that time. Afterwards, they'd probably have to do some surgical work. So, she could either have one more baby or none at all.

She and her husband wanted more kids, so they agreed to try it. She had to take some fertility drugs to help the process (like you said, it's more difficult), but eventually, it did work.

Of course, with fertility drugs, you get a higher incidence of multiple births, but that didn't happen this time.

Anyway, my point is that her doc did suggest it, and it did eventually work. The situation was a lot different than they would be for this 1st or 2nd season Lois. The person I know was already married with one child. Lois isn't even dating. Still, the doc could mention it in passing, I guess, and then Lois's brain would latch onto the idea...

<shrug>

Paul
Posted By: Shadow Re: Story Idea - 05/28/04 03:05 PM
And just to further babble (because I consider talking a hobby), complete hysterectomies aren't always necessary. One of my friends had endometriosis in high school, and she just had to have one of her ovaries (or whatever you call it...science is not my forte) taken out. So she still has a chance to have a baby. But anyway, if anyone wants to take up the story...there are plenty of junkies who'll read it! Like me! goofy

JD
Posted By: rivka Re: Story Idea - 05/28/04 04:40 PM
science is not my forte
dizzy Remind me what your major is again, Jen?
Posted By: CC Aiken Re: Story Idea - 05/28/04 05:00 PM
We should all start nagging Tank to write this one right away.

Just a thought...
Posted By: Tank Re: Story Idea - 05/28/04 06:04 PM
No

Tank (who thinks that pretty much says it all)
Posted By: CC Aiken Re: Story Idea - 05/28/04 06:21 PM
Then again, our campaign may have to be a bit more subtle.
Posted By: Tank Re: Story Idea - 05/29/04 08:32 AM
Okay, okay, enough already, I give up. I'll write it.

So, without further ado...

Lois' Little Problem
by Tank

Lois Lane had a grim look on her face when she came off the elevator and moved toward her desk. Typically, before she'd even gotten her chair seat warm, both Clark and Jimmy were hovering next to her desk. Great, now she supposed she have to tell them, or she wouldn't get any peace.

"So, Lois, how did your doctor's appointment go?" She gave Clark credit. He may only have been her partner for a few months, but he did look concerned. "Did he know why you've been feeling poorly?"

Lois nodded. "Yeah, I've got endosomethingorother. If I don't take steps to alleviate the problem I could die."

"Gosh!" added Jimmy with his typical brilliance.

"So," Clark began. "What do you have to do?"

Lois frowned as she gazed at her handsome partner, and burgeoning friend. "The doctor says that the best course of action would be for me to get pregnant."

Clark looked shocked. Jimmy's jaw dropped. "Golly, Lois, what are you going to do?"

It was funny that Lois had never realized how annoying Jimmy's voice was before. In answer to his question, she shrugged. "Nothing."

"What?" both men exclaimed in unison.

"Let's face it." Lois spoke in a calm, level tone. "I'd rather die than have to deal with children." She turned away and booted up her computer. "Now, can we get back to work?"

the end.

Tank (who says there is nothing like a happy ending)
Posted By: ethnica Re: Story Idea - 05/29/04 10:53 AM
Cute, Tank. laugh Where's your real story?
Posted By: lynnm Re: Story Idea - 05/29/04 11:37 AM
Tank! thumbsup

Lynn
Posted By: CC Aiken Re: Story Idea - 05/29/04 03:42 PM
Thank you, Tank. Though short, this story had all the elements I look for in a great story.

One handsome,concerned Clark.
A slightly dim Jimmy.
An in charge and focused Lois.

Beautiful. Lyrical, even. And yes, I'll say it, you've melted me into that waffy-gooey puddle we all love to swim in.

Did I say thanks? sloppy Because, by golly, I meant it!

CC
Posted By: ethnica Re: Story Idea - 05/30/04 07:10 AM
Waitaminute! This is Tank we're talking about. You're gonna let him get away with that ? No haircuts?! No Lois going through mental agony after agony that would defeat a lesser woman?!! goofy

Now on the serious side, what happened to this part?

Lois decides to take the pregnancy route, but, alas, who could be the father?
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Story Idea - 05/30/04 07:25 AM
LOL, Tank! goofy
Posted By: Schoolmarm Re: Story Idea - 06/02/04 11:18 PM
Coming out of lurkdom to say that as a JAG fan, the buzz in that fandom is extremely negative about the whole Mac has a "condition" thing -- the fans are speculating that it is endometriosis, but it's only speculation. After all, it's the cliffhanger for the season. I've yet to read a post on any list or mb that says anything other than "what a terrible idea." Can't really say that I like the idea as a fic for L&C either. wink

Schoolmarm
Posted By: Sheila Re: Story Idea - 06/03/04 04:26 PM
Jill,

As a veteran high risk OB nurse (once), pregnancy was a temporary cure for endometriosis, which had not progressed to the adhesion state. In addition to no periods for the time of the pregnancy, there is also a shift in hormones in a good way which actually alleviates some of the complications for a short time. Surgery is usually always inevitable.
I did high risk OB for 7 years, cardiac, mother baby and now I am an OR nurse! dance
Posted By: Shadow Re: Story Idea - 06/03/04 07:49 PM
Originally posted by rivka:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> science is not my forte
goofy ...and I might change it to studio art, I'm still deciding...

Edit: Okay, I'll concede. If nothing else, I remember my organic...well...I suppose I'm still a closet chem geek.
Posted By: Kitty Re: Story Idea - 06/04/04 08:24 PM
all I wish is to know how I can post my own fics on my website and how a search engine will be able to guide people to my site.

Any how it's too techy kind of thing for me.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Story Idea - 06/05/04 03:24 AM
Kitty, I would suggest that you post your question in either Off Topic or the How To forum, where it's much more likely to be seen by someone who can help you than in a thread about pregnancy entitled 'Story Idea'.

Also, if members start to answer your question in this thread it takes it wildly off topic and destroys the point of the thread.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Meredith Re: Story Idea - 09/04/04 07:05 AM
I just thought I should mention in this thread that my rather delayed take on the idea is currently being posted in the nfic folder: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000753

Mere smile
Posted By: TicAndToc Re: Story Idea - 09/04/04 03:13 PM
This story

One Strange Year (by Queen of the Capes)

starts with the same premise, as well. It's not finished yet, but is a good read.

And Meredith-- wow!! Wonderful! I can't wait for more!

~Toc
Posted By: Artemis Re: Story Idea - 12/13/04 08:47 AM
Well, I loved Meredith's "Rest and Reproduction" and then I found "One Strange Year" and my mind detected a trend, so I search for a challenge thread and here you are! Great take, Tank! On a more sombre note, endometriosis can be fatal if not treated. I've had several friends who have died from it. They had already had many children and got it later in life. Of course, this was the stone age when I was younger. I think doctors are more alert to the condition now. So if any of you gals are having pain during periods, get checked out!
cool
Artemis
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards