Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Crossword puzzle clue - 08/04/15 11:23 AM
Last night, I thought up a fun crossword puzzle clue. Once upon a time, I had made a couple of L&C-related crossword puzzles. Unfortunately, I no longer have any place to host such puzzles. (This site is the closest I will come to joining any social media sites.) But I wanted to share this one clue, for your amusement.

Clue: I'm a fowl place, but remove my middle and flip my ends and I become fair.

Any guesses?

I'll end with some spoiler space, so that if anyone posts an answer, subsequent readers won't accidentally see it.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I purposely did not state how long the answer was, but if you wish a hint, consider where this clue is posted. If no one guesses the answer in a day or two, I'll provide some spoiler-tag-protected hints, including the length of the answer.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/04/15 01:20 PM
Just for future reference, Lynn - this forum comes with a handy spoiler tag, since the upgrade, which saves you having to type in space fillers. Somewhere. <g> I've never had need of it so I can't figure out how you access it, but I'm sure someone out there will know.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/04/15 01:31 PM
Thanks LabRat, but I don't think the spoiler tag would do what I want. I wanted to have the space to prevent readers of my post from accidentally seeing subsequent posts. The spoiler tag would be to hide part of one's own posts.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: LabRat Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/04/15 07:37 PM
No, my thought was if you asked those trying the puzzle to use the spoiler tag on their guesses there would be no need for you to type out a spoiler space. The suggested answers would be hidden.

Wouldn't that work for you?

LabRat smile
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/04/15 07:45 PM
Hi LabRat,

It would, but I didn't want to make work for others by asking them to do something when I could use the old-fashioned method myself. However, our correspondences basically take up enough room to negate the need for the spoiler space in my original post, so I'll go ahead and delete that space.

Thanks,
Lynn
Posted By: LabRat Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/05/15 10:09 AM
Ah - okay. Glad to have been of help, one way or another. <g>

LabRat smile
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/05/15 07:59 PM
No takers? Was the clue too hard or is no one interested?

Here are some hints, in case it was the former:

Hint #1:
The clue did not contain any typos.
Hint #2 (answer length):
The answer is three characters long.
Hint #3:
Although people in the U.S. might be more likely to get the answer, much of the rest of the world has had the very dubious pleasure of experiencing this bit of American "culture." (I use the term loosely.)

If no one gets the answer by this time tomorrow, I'll go ahead and post it (spoiler protected), along with the explanation.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/06/15 09:47 PM
Complete silence. I'm guessing no one is interested, but in case I am mistaken, here's the answer and the explanation:

The answer is KFC. My research leads me to believe that this fast food chain has invaded most of the countries of the world.

The explanation:

I'm a fowl place, KFC's signature dish is fried chicken. (The letters hearken back to the chain's original name: Kentucky Fried Chicken)

but remove my middle Delete the "F" to get "KC"

and flip my ends Reverse the order of the remaining letters: CK

and I become fair. Surely Clark (C.K.) must be among the fairest of all journalists. As the old Superman shows said in the opening sequence, "... who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way."

So there you have it. I hope somebody found this clue to be at least somewhat enjoyable.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: groobie Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/06/15 10:06 PM
Not that I wasn't interested, just that I was clueless! Lol
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/06/15 10:35 PM
Hi Susan,

Thanks. It's nice to know that there was at least one person interested. smile

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/06/15 11:13 PM
Yeah, I've been trying to figure it out to no avail.
Posted By: Annie B. Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/06/15 11:21 PM
I kept trying to figure it out, too, but my brain wouldn't cooperate.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/07/15 05:52 AM
Too difficult for me too, Lynn. This is why I don't crossword. I can never get the clues. I was thinking it had something to do with air, and the fowl place being sky. But I couldn't think of a word with fair in it with the middle removed. dizzy

Yes, sadly, your fowl place has branched out to other countries.
Posted By: groobie Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/07/15 06:03 AM
There is a KFC at the Badaling section of the Great Wall of China. I relented for the sake of my hungry, complaining son, so we stepped inside to order. They were out of chicken. I am serious.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Crossword puzzle clue - 08/07/15 10:04 PM
I thank you four for chiming in. I feel better now. smile

Groobie, I guess there's a reason they abbreviated their name, even beyond their probably not wanting to tie the chain down to being identified with one state from the U.S...

My favourite fast-food-in-another-country story is this: First, let me say that I dislike fast food in general and McDonalds in particular. But when I went to Scotland once, I couldn't resist eating at a McDonald's... Fear not, though, it wasn't part of the chain. It was a McDonald's Brothers' butcher shop and I had a bridie.

Tempus isn't the only one who appreciates irony, I guess.

Joy,
Lynn
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards