Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: groobie Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/28/15 12:27 AM
Posted on Deadline and other outlets today...AWESOME! smile1
Deadline article

Text of the article:

CBS is drawing from the DC Comics superhero TV and film universe for the latest additions to its Supergirl pilot. Dean Cain, who played Clark Kent/Superman in the 1990s TV series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures Of Superman, and Helen Slater, who played Kara Zor-El/Supergirl in the 1984 film Supergirl, are set to guest star in what is described only as “mystery roles.”

Based on the DC Comics characters, Supergirl — from Warner Bros. TV and Berlanti Prods. — centers on Kara Zor-El (Melissa Benoist). Since arriving on Earth, the Krypton-born Kara has been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin, Superman. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she always was meant to be. They join previously announced Benoist, Chyler Leigh, Calista Flockhart, and David Harewood.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/28/15 12:30 AM
I know it's unlikely, but wouldn't it be cool if they asked Dean to don the suit again. smile I mean, Superman is supposed to be "older" (in that he arrived on Earth earlier than Kara. I know that some canon has Kara as originally the elder of the two cousins).
Posted By: groobie Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/28/15 12:41 AM
I doubt he'd want to try squeezing his butt into the Spandex again...but, by all means, feel free! grin devil Speculation so far has circled around Jor-El, Jonathan Kent, Curtis Knox, or Dr. Virgil Swann. I'm just happy he's attached to the show in any role, and hopefully it will extend past the pilot.
Posted By: LMA Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/28/15 01:19 AM
Awesome news! clap dance

Really excited to hear about this, and will be curious to find out what character Dean will play.

Thanks for the link sloppy
Laura
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/28/15 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by groobie
I doubt he'd want to try squeezing his butt into the Spandex again...but, by all means, feel free! grin devil
I doubt he'd want to either, but if they asked... his ego might be flattered enough to say 'yes' with certain conditions. wink Hey, we can daydream, can't we?

Speculation so far has circled around Jor-El, Jonathan Kent, or Dr. Virgil Swann. I'm just happy he's attached to the show in any role, and hopefully it will extend past the pilot.
I thought the Virgil Swann character was created for the Smallville (tv show) universe and wasn't Superman (comics) canon. Is this Supergirl show supposed to be set in the same universe as Smallville (tv show)? Because from what you've said about Kara's character, that doesn't really fit. Unless they've finally found her again (if they hadn't during the course of that show). / wallbash Really have to finish watching S9 and S10 of Smallville / Kara isn't raised by the Kents, so I doubt he'd be cast as Jonathan.

I really thought that they came up with a great guest starring role for Dean on Smallville (Vandal Savage) because for us LnC fans, we could picture our Clark willing to do almost anything to save his Lois. I loved those parallels.
Posted By: groobie Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/28/15 02:20 AM
I don't know much about the new show. From reading a bit today, it seems the writers and producers are comic fans and involved in "The Flash", which has been having a real success with casting nods to previous versions. Kara herself is sometimes older, sometimes younger than Superman, and colorblind casting has apparently already led to changes in some of the characters. BTW: Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant?! dizzy I have no clue how this show is going to play out, but "The Flash" turned out to be good, so I'm hoping for the best.

Additional speculation: Dean and Helen as Kara's foster parents.
Posted By: Christina Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/28/15 10:29 AM
I think Dean's going to play Zor-El. They don't say who he'll be, and as far as I can tell they're keeping in a closely guarded secret, so that's who I'm speculations he's going to be,
Posted By: Artemis Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/28/15 04:02 PM
Hot dog!!!! Great news. I hadn't heard that. I have a touch more faith in the Supergirl show now.
cool
Artemis
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/28/15 09:58 PM
Waiting with great interest to see what this show is like, and if I can incorporate any of it into my Supergirl Returns series. If it's a long way off what I've written so far, I may end up having it in the background of future stories as a Superman Foundation authorised TV show (naturally not using her real secret identity etc.), with a running joke about how inaccurate it all is.
Posted By: Artemis Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 03/19/15 02:26 AM
I just went on IMDB and Dean's character's name is Fred Danvers and his daughter is Kara Danvers.
cool
Artemis
Posted By: RJS Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/13/15 11:24 PM
Don't Blink or you'll miss him.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/14/15 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by RJS
Don't Blink or you'll miss him.
I must of blinked. He was in a background shot, wasn't he?
Posted By: RJS Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/14/15 12:19 AM
Starting at 27 sec. or so for no more than a blink.
Posted By: LMA Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/14/15 12:44 AM
I think I might have seen him? smile.

Laura
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/14/15 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by RJS
Starting at 27 sec. or so for no more than a blink.
Oh, there he is. Just have to work the pause button super quickly.
Posted By: groobie Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/14/15 12:59 AM
Uggghhh...is this going to be as bad as that promo was? Calista is certainly as annoying as she was in Ally McBeal. It felt as lightweight as "Not Another Teen Movie"...but they were serious. frown I hold out hope for the guy from Smash...he at least seemed likeable.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/14/15 01:18 AM
Uggghhh...is this going to be as bad as that promo was? Calista is certainly as annoying as she was in Ally McBeal. It felt as lightweight as "Not Another Teen Movie"...but they were serious. frown
Really? I didn't think it was too bad, except that Kara can't keep a secret.

I hold out hope for the guy from Smash...he at least seemed likeable.
No idea who that is.

LATER: AND that they've given Kara Clark's life, including his associates, his career, and his glasses.
Posted By: HiddenMoon Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/14/15 02:23 AM
Uggghhh...is this going to be as bad as that promo was? Calista is certainly as annoying as she was in Ally McBeal. It felt as lightweight as "Not Another Teen Movie"...but they were serious. frown I hold out hope for the guy from Smash...he at least seemed likeable.

I agree. Devil wears Prada-cheap version* + your average teenage movie on (super)steroids. The leading actress puts too much emphasis in her acting, it's irritating...
*: Calista, drop the botox! Boy, why people in the showbiz can't resolve to age gracefully?!

RJS, do you have super vision, or what? Must be a "Kansas" thing... wink
Posted By: groobie Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/14/15 02:24 AM
Jeremy Jordon (after searching for him online...couldn't remember his last name earlier). Looks like he's Kara's good friend or boyfriend...the guy in all of the scenes with her trying on new outfits and capes. He's a Broadway kid...was in Newsies. He was great in Smash - 2nd season, where that show really hit its stride (before cancellation!). The scenes with him in the trailer were they only ones I enjoyed, along with the military thing (Bureau 39?). Chyler Leigh (had to look up her last name, too) gets cast in a ton of stuff, but never really delivers...Oooh, I just looked her up in IMDB - she was in Not Another Teen Movie! Calista Flockhart is chewing up the scenery like she's Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada.

Melissa was weak in Glee - blame her or the roll? - she looked like a stronger actor in this trailer. But what is the focus of this show? Her whining about wanting to do more for the world while being unappreciated and belittled at work? Her being a strong, powerful, feminist icon saving the world? Her balancing work, superwork, and life with her boyfriend? (Ooops...guess not...I just looked it up - Jeremy Jordon is apparently Winslow Schott, so that's not destined to work out so well!)

I wanted this to be good...really, I did. But I did not particularly enjoy this trailer. frown
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/14/15 12:03 PM
Sorry to disagree, but I really like the look of this - my impression is that they're showing her at the very beginning, when she's still figuring out what she can do and learning to use her powers effectively. For example, it looks like she's using excessive force and being very careless about ricochets in some scenes, and I suspect that both will cause her serious problems. It doesn't look like we're getting a "training with Superman" montage, which is a real shame.

Is it just me, or does she sound and look a lot like Emily Bett Rickards, Felicity Smoak in Arrow?
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/14/15 12:20 PM
Trailer looks entertaining and Kara seems spunky. It does look like it should be on TheCW though wink

Michael wave
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/14/15 12:45 PM
Looking up the characters I discovered that the guy running the anti-alien organisation is Hank Henshaw, who in the comics eventually becomes the evil cyborg Superman.
Posted By: Christina Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/16/15 12:51 PM
I just found the time to watch it and man, it got me teary-eyed watching it. I think this is the first time that I got teary-over Supergirl. I was going to give away/toss out my Supergirl shirt (it's just the shield with Supergirl on the back, and it didn't feel like it made as much sense now that I have a little Supergirl of my own) but now I think I'll have to see if I fit in it properly.
Posted By: Morgana Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/16/15 09:09 PM
I like it.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/16/15 09:12 PM
For those of us (myself included) who blinked:

[Linked Image]

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/16/15 11:43 PM
Just saw the Saturday Night Live spoof trailer for a Black Widow movie - there are some startling similarities

Posted By: HiddenMoon Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/16/15 11:54 PM
ROTFL!
The thing is: that was a parody, this is not... :P
Posted By: groobie Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/17/15 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Marcus Rowland
Just saw the Saturday Night Live spoof trailer for a Black Widow movie - there are some startling similarities

Yes! This is exactly what I was trying to express! I really hope that the show turns out to have a more substantial feeling than the trailer. I think The Flash has found the perfect tone.
Posted By: Lady Loisette Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/17/15 04:46 AM
The preview interested me enough to want to check the show out, but even if I decided that I didn't really like the show, I'd probably still end up watching anyway.
Posted By: HiddenMoon Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/21/15 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Marcus Rowland

Apparently, we weren't the only ones to notice wink
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/13/supergirl-black-widow-comparison

Yet, this trailer has been a great success, so far:
http://www.adweek.com/news/television/how-cbs-supergirl-trailer-became-viral-sensation-164878
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/22/15 09:15 PM
The Supergirl pilot episode has apparently been leaked - haven't seen it yet but by all accounts it's pretty good, much better than the trailer.

http://io9.com/i-saw-the-supergirl-pilot-and-it-s-actually-pretty-sup-1706318019
Posted By: groobie Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/23/15 02:10 AM
I just watched it. Dean was in it for maybe a minute, but didn't even have one line. I liked it better than the trailer but wasn't blown away by it. I'll give the series a try and hope it finds its voice. My son kept finding fault with it, asking where Superman was. wink In the end, he concluded that I shouldn't have woken him from his nap. Lol
Posted By: MrsLuthor Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/24/15 03:24 AM
I am just starting it, and had to pause to giggle & post here about where Kara works/who her boss is. *SPOILER*

Cat Grant!?
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 05/26/15 12:53 AM
Saw it on Saturday - it's fun, though suffers from the usual pilot episode thing of too much exposition. Hopefully it'll get into its stride after a few episodes, as The Flash did, without getting too dark.

It already has its own TV Tropes page which means that the fans are taking it reasonably seriously.
Posted By: groobie Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 07/12/15 05:42 AM
Article from Deadline has a small hint that Dean will be in more than just the Supergirl pilot:
Deadline interview

The relevant excerpt:

DEADLINE: One thing that is similar in several of your shows is casting actors who have either played the role before or have a strong previous connection to it, like Lois & Clark’s Dean Cain. Why do you like to do that?

BERLANTI: It’s fun. It’s one of the real nice benefits of doing the job that you get to work with people like John Wesley Shipp, and Mark Hamill, and Dean Cain, and Helen Slater. Part of the fun of making these things is actually that we’ve enjoyed other incarnations of them. So, it’s part homage and it’s part a celebration of the property, and a celebration of the characters. With Dean and Helen in Supergirl, we have some good storylines for them this season too.
Posted By: groobie Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 08/04/15 03:24 AM
More Supergirl news from Deadline:
Deadline article

Relevant quote:
Jenna Dewan-Tatum has joined the cast of CBS’ upcoming drama series Supergirl. She will play Lucy Lane, as brash, funny and beautiful as her older sister Lois Lane and strong, smart and successful in her own right. She’s got a history with Jimmy Olsen and she’s come to town to right a previous wrong. The series centers on Kara Zor-El (Melissa Benoist). Since arriving on Earth from Krypton, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin, Superman. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Dewan-Tatum starred on Witches Of East End, was a regular on The Playboy Club and appeared in American Horror Story: Asylum. She is repped by UTA, Management 360 and Bloom Hergott.

Jenna is Channing Tatum's wife. She has been a guest judge on "So You Think You Can Dance" several times and has always seemed to be a very likeable person. I actually think this is a pretty good casting choice. We didn't see much of Lucy on L&C or Smallville - I hope this allows the character to be more fully developed, and I can imagine Jenna bringing a lot of personality to the role.
Posted By: Lois_Lane_Fan Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 10/08/15 02:24 AM
If anyone is interested, I've created a "Supergirl" forum. It's pretty bare at the moment, but the show still hasn't premiered yet. Hopefully, things will pick up soon. Feel free to join.

http://supergirlcbs.proboards.com/
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 10/09/15 01:47 AM
Thanks - I've just joined (admittedly mainly to plug my Supergirl Returns fanfic series) but I'll try to look in as the show airs.
Posted By: HappyGirl Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 10/27/15 02:07 PM
I was disappointed in the pilot. I liked the work/friends scenes (Jimmy and the work buddy), but I thought they tried to fit what should have been two hours of development into one. Also, the dialog with the villains sounded like it was aimed at an eight-year-old. I thought everything, especially the relationship issues (betrayal/reconciliation with Alex, the director of the watchdog agency suddenly accepting Kara) happened way too fast with too little time to actually work issues out. And OMG, Cat is over the top. I'm telling myself to take it as a comic and accept that it's not trying to be even remotely realistic (yes, I acknowledge the irony of that idea in any Superhero universe) or subtle. We'll see.
Posted By: groobie Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 10/27/15 04:23 PM
I agree with everything you said, HappyGirl! Cat, in particular, is unbearable. I hope the show settles down and finds its voice.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 10/28/15 01:53 AM
I've just watched about half of the pilot so far. (I'll probably watch the other half over the next night or two.) I want to give the show another episode or two before I form an opinion; I could go either way with it so far. (Unlike L&C, the pilot of which had me hooked within a few minutes.)

There is one thing, however, that bugs me. I realize that they want to let Supergirl shine on her own show, and so they must of necessity keep Superman off of it as much as possible. I get that; I truly do. (I don't like it, but I do understand their reasoning.) But what bothers me is that they couldn't even bring themselves to say the name "Superman" or "Clark." They went to contortions of language to avoid doing so: A few of their circumlocutions: "he"/"him" (without giving any explicit antecedent), "the big fellow," and "my friend in blue." The closest they got to calling him Clark or Superman was calling him "Kal-El." It's almost as if her cousin were Lord Voldemort.

Am I being overly sensitive on this one, or was anyone else irritated by their avoiding even mentioning Kara's cousin by either of his Terran names?

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 10/28/15 03:57 AM
Bugged the absolutely living daylights out of me. And my husband. And a few people I regularly chat with on IRC.

At first, I thought that maybe there was some kind of issue with the rights, but they were using Superman characters - James, Cat, mentioned the Daily Planet. I think they used "Superman" once when he brought Kara to the Danvers.

I don't get it. And I'm underwhelmed by the pilot. I'll give it a few more episodes, but it better find a heart and soul fast (unlike L&C, which worked double time to flesh out the characters and make us care).

And, um, 10 bucks says James is totally in the CK=S know.
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 10/29/15 12:45 AM
I think my "Supergirl Returns" series is going to have a TV show called "Ultragirl," obviously based on Kara, where they have made some hilariously wrong guesses about her interests, secret ID etc. and she's torn between laughing and writing nit-picking criticism.
Posted By: Sue S. Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 10/29/15 03:17 AM
Overall, I liked it. Yeah, there was a lot of exposition, but it was sure nice to see a superhero who actually LIKES being a superhero and isn't overburdened with angst. I hated what they've made Cat Grant into. Boo!

On the plus side, though, I'm loving the grown-up and yummy version of James Olsen. It feels wrong to have lustful thoughts about Jimmy, but here I am. smile
Posted By: HappyGirl Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 10/31/15 02:15 AM
Sue, on behalf of grown women everywhere, I hereby absolve you of any misplaced guilt over lustful thoughts about this James Olsen. He's all grown up now (not Jimmy anymore), a Pulitzer Prize winner, and entirely lust-worthy. Plus, I loved his attitude toward Cat. ("Her loss.")
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/02/15 08:18 AM
I second just about everything Sue said above. goofy

I just watched the pilot (finally) and I have to say, it's not half as bad as I was expecting. (I've decided keeping my expectations low is the key for everything, barring the upcoming Star Wars that I'm trying and failing to remain neutral about.) It's got a bit more life to it than most of the superhero movies we've been getting as of late, and I'm honestly getting so tired of the whole my-life-was-awful-so-I-became-a-superhero motif. Too much angst and tragedy— and this coming from someone who LOVES angst and tragedy!!!

I think it has a lot of potential, provided CBS doesn't pull the plug early. The gal that plays Kara is downright adorable, and her enthusiasm is contagious. I'm anxious to see how they bring her adoptive family in more— I'm already loving everything they've done with the sister, and it's already one of the healthiest sibling relationships portrayed since I can't remember when. I'm assuming Dean (!! hyper DEAN!!!) will have a larger part in the season to come, simply because there would be absolutely no point in showing him if they weren't going to use him, or paying him for that small a cameo.

The lack of mentioning Clark thing didn't really bother me so much (yet), because I think it was very strategic. They're probably holding off on showing/mentioning Superman so much because they want to go over casting and do a big mid-season/season finale reveal. I hope she at least knows that Clark=Superman, but maybe they're saving that for some fun reveal down the line as well. The one thing that would disappoint me at this point would be if they somehow managed to wrangle Henry Cavill into the part, because I do not want to attach the DC movieverse and tv-verse like that. Frankly, I think DC is at their best when they're working in television format, as their movies have been proving as of late (NOT excited for Superman v. Batman based on every preview I've seen).

So far, I think it's good, wholesome, mostly lighthearted fun. I can't wait to see where they take it.

And finally... yes, James Olsen is positively drool -worthy. I think I'm in love. love
Posted By: Artemis Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/03/15 05:55 PM
I hope Dean gets some dialog sometime. He was basically furniture in the first ep. Surprisingly to me, hubby liked it too. He can't take Flash or Arrow.
Strangely, I thought I would dislike this James Olson, but I don't and I like where he is coming from, being the buddy of "The Big Guy."
Basically, I like the Berlanti & team stuff. It started out more rapidly than Smallville for sure.
Is it just me, but I got the impression that Kara's workplace buddy designed the costume for her after she demonstrated her powers to him. She seemed inept in the costume design area.
Also I like Calista's pale eyebrows on the super smooth forehead. I think it works for the role and is probably a make-up piece. It adds to her air of mean vacuity.
Hoping for more.
r/
Artemis
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/03/15 11:12 PM
Reliably informed episode 2 mentions Superman repeatedly, and refers to Clark Kent and Lois Lane by name.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/03/15 11:33 PM
That it does, Marcus. I've only watched the first 15 minutes or so (Guess what I did during my lunch break today?), but in that time, Superman, Clark Kent, and Lois Lane were all mentioned. We also found out that
Virginia(? - I think it was her) was right -- Jimmy does know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Clark Kent is Superman.

My thoughts on the show thus far: Although the program's creators might not admit to it, I suspect the target audience for the show is girls in their mid-to-late teens. Although I am enjoying the show for what it is, I know I would have liked it a whole lot more when I was in that age range. Cat's lack of depth would not have bothered me at all then. (Even now it grates on me a lot less than it does on some of the other posters here.) I really like the upbeat feel to the show; that seems to be something lacking in most things Superman-related recently. I am definitely interested in watching the rest of the first non-pilot episode when I get the chance.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: HappyGirl Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/04/15 02:52 AM
I enjoyed the second episode better. I accepted that it's target audience is younger than me, so they are intentionally telling things that I would show and making nothing subtle so the kids can follow the story. I actually liked Cat 's speech to Kara about what Supergirl should do.

Now, was it just me, or are they trying to hint at some possible romantic attraction between Kara and James? Their faces seemed awfully close together in one scene and they both looked uncomfortable about it.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/04/15 02:58 AM
It definitely is not just you, HappyGirl. The two of them are definitely attracted to each other, and Win is none too happy about that. I think she see's Win as just a friend.

Love triangle, anyone?

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: HappyGirl Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/05/15 03:00 AM
Yeah, that bit of unrequited interest was pretty obvious.

Now I'm thinking about James: Look, Kara, I'm not sure this is a good idea. I mean, I really like you, but you're a lot younger than me and I don't want your cousin going all Protective Big Brother on me.
Posted By: Christina Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/17/15 03:40 AM
Whelp it sounds like we have an explanation for Dean's character's non-presence. He's supposedly dead. I really enjoyed the little looks back, though and hope we get more of them.
Posted By: groobie Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/17/15 03:06 PM
I wouldn't be so sure, Christina. This is sci-fi and he's working for a government agency. He could very well be undercover/on a mission to another planet/hurt in an accident and now has superpowers, etc. The family could have merely been told he died. After laying out that line about how he knows so much information about Superman, I doubt that's the last we'll see of him. Dean Cain is a hotter commodity than Helen Slater, and certainly a bigger tv audience draw (he is constantly showing up on Fox News), and Supergirl needs all the ratings it can get. He only has a supporting role on Hit the Floor, which was taping around the same time as these Supergirl episodes, which could easily be worked around since they both shoot in LA. Hit the Floor filming is done now, so his schedule would be open again.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/17/15 07:34 PM
I haven't had a chance to see last night's show yet, but I would guess that there is always the possibility that even if he is dead, his character could still show up periodically in flashbacks.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Artemis Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/18/15 04:45 PM
Loved Monday's episode, "Livewire". We see it on Tuesday's because we record so we can skip the commercials. Hubby even likes it. I'm betting Jerimiah Danvers isn't really dead. I just
hope he hasn't been turned into a monster by the DEO and HH and has to fight Kara. I bet there is more to his story line.
r/
Artemis
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 11/19/15 02:50 AM
I just finished watching this episode. I am increasingly impressed with the series. It's nice to see Cat being fleshed out a bit. I continue to be amazed that they are able to have such good special effects in a weekly series; although they wouldn't be particularly impressive in a movie, given the limited time and budget they have to work with, they are really making the most of what they have.

I'll put in spoiler tags any even remotely substantive comments I have about the episode, since I don't want to give anything away to anyone who has not yet seen Livewire.

I love the East egg meaning with Dean's line about knowing everything there is to know about Superman. I could also easily see L&C's Clark having a talk with his daughters similar to the one Jeremiah Danvers had in this show. Although I would expect Clark to convey the "Don't ever do that again; it's too dangerous" message in a much more understanding and much less severe manner. And having said that, I am glad to see that Dean is playing this character very differently than he played our favourite Kryptonian. I agree with other posters here that thereis a very real possibility that Henshaw lied to Eliza Danvers about her husbands having died. But even if he is dead, I would be very surprised if Dean weren't in most of the the next few episodes, at least, via flashbacks.

The first few episodes have done an excellent job of setting the stage for more than one multi-episode story arc. And I, for one, am looking forward to the ride.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Artemis Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 12/08/15 11:34 PM
*Possible spoiler alert if you haven't seen Monday's episode*

Well, now we have the mystery of Hank Henshaw's red eyes. He is really J'Onn J'Onzz from Mars and a shapeshifter. He said Hank Henshaw died in this dustup in Peru, but *did not* specifically say that Jeramiah Danvers was dead. I still hope for the sight of
Dean again on the the show.
CBS bought the next set of episodes for this year. Yay team!
Berlanti has a magic touch.
r/
Artemis
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 12/09/15 12:18 AM
Yes! I had heard a fan podcaster (Michael Bailey) speculating for weeks that Henshaw was really the Martian Manhunter, but I had thought that that was a longshot. I know that J'onn has appeared in animated shows, but is this the first live action depiction of him? I thought it very well done.

He did say several times that Jeremiah was dead. Among other things, he said that Henshaw had died the same night as Jeremiah, that Jeremiah made the ultimate sacrifice to save him (i.e., J'onn), and that he had died a hero. Of course, it is possible that he was mistaken or is flat-out lying to her.

Each week I look forward to the show a bit more, and I am delighted that it will get, at minimum, one full season. (I fully expect it to be renewed, but that's another story.)

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Christina Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 12/09/15 02:21 AM
I'm 100 percent certain that J'onn J'onzz showed up in Smallville I just don't remember the episodes (I know they were the later seasons of the series). I think it's really cool that he's the MM. We'll have to see what that means.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 12/09/15 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by Christina
I'm 100 percent certain that J'onn J'onzz showed up in Smallville I just don't remember the episodes (I know they were the later seasons of the series).
It's been a while, but he did show up in Smallville. Somehow, he lost his powers (saving Clark, it might have had to do with Brainiac or Supergirl or Bizarro -- I really narrowed it down there, didn't I? lol ). Then, he was a human police detective for a while. This was in Metropolis. I can't recall how he left the show. That reminds me, I really need to finish S9. Sigh. I just *HATE* Zod with a passion. This isn't anything new. I hated him back in the 80s in that Christopher Reeves film, too. I just dislike all Kryptonian back story characters. He lives on Earth now and has a family who loves him for him; move on, already. It's the whole nature vs. nurture argument. Krypton is his nature (gave him powers) vs. Earth is his nature (made him Superman).

I now return you to your show.
Posted By: groobie Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 12/09/15 07:34 AM
According to IMDB, he was in 11 episodes:
Salvation (2010)
Checkmate (2010)
Absolute Justice (2010)
Bulletproof (2009)
Prey (2008)
Odyssey (2008)
Cure (2007)
Bizarro (2007)
Phantom (2007)
Labyrinth (2007)
Static (2006) - uncredited

BTW, Phil Morris was hysterical as Jackie Chiles on Seinfeld.
Posted By: Morgana Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 12/19/15 07:07 PM
Totally enjoying this show. I tape it on Monday and watch on Friday. Do not like this Cat Grant. She is a stereotype. Hate that she knows who Kara is.

Love James! Yummo!
Posted By: Annie B. Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 12/20/15 04:31 AM
This Cat Grant reminds me of Miranda in 'The Devil Wears Prada'. I have to admit that I like the LnC version better.
Posted By: HappyGirl Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 12/28/15 06:39 PM
I didn't like her at all at first, but she's growing on me. I think she knows that she's not a nice person, but she's afraid that nice equals weak. I think maybe Supergirl can help change her mind. I find her hate/hate attitude to the daily Planet and its staff amusing.
Posted By: HiddenMoon Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/04/16 11:34 PM
Are you guys enjoying the series so far? I read somewhere on Tumblr that there's a bit of a controversy, since Lois' fans don't appreciate how she's depicted (even if only by references from other characters' lines): they say she comes out as a bit... Bitchy :P
Posted By: Christina Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/05/16 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by HiddenMoon
Are you guys enjoying the series so far? I read somewhere on Tumblr that there's a bit of a controversy, since Lois' fans don't appreciate how she's depicted (even if only by references from other characters' lines): they say she comes out as a bit... Bitchy :P

I think everyone that's said something about her have been in the "adversary" column when it comes to interactions with Lois. I haven't one thing come out of Jimmy's mouth with regards to Lois. I've only heard about her from Cat. I think Lucy in this version may not have as close of a relationship as ours did.
Posted By: Framework4 Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/10/16 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by HiddenMoon
Are you guys enjoying the series so far?

I find it great fun. I just wish we'd see more of a Karen Starr then Kara Danvers mindset but hey such is life.
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/17/16 07:51 PM
Next Monday's episode is apparently called "Truth, Justice and the American Way" - I'm wondering if we'll be seeing Clark.
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/24/16 12:32 AM
Unfortunately not.
Posted By: Artemis Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 03/16/16 01:32 AM
Dean is on the next ep of Supergirl when Hank Henshaw explains what happened to J. Danvers. Next Monday March 21, same Supergirl time, same Supergirl channel.
r/
Artemis
Posted By: Morgana Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 03/17/16 01:12 PM
Thanks Artemis!!
Posted By: EL Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 03/24/16 02:37 AM
Finally saw the episode on cbs.com. Don't want to spoil it, but interesting development!
Posted By: Artemis Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 03/24/16 03:44 AM
And I thought that was the end of Dean's role until the very last of the episode. So - stay tuned!.
r/
Artemis
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 01/31/17 06:39 PM
Family Reunion!

Teri Hatcher will show up in arc in the back half of Season 2 smile1

http://tinyurl.com/hqbfg6s

wave Michael
Posted By: Millefeuilles Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/01/17 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Family Reunion!

Teri Hatcher will show up in arc in the back half of Season 2 smile1

http://tinyurl.com/hqbfg6s

wave Michael

OMG!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! clap
Could it be too much to ask for some scenes with Jeremiah Danvers?
I really love this series which reminds me a lot of the lightness and cheer of LnC. A positive spin on things is sorely needed in our difficult times.
Posted By: LMA Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/01/17 10:52 PM
Awesome!!! clap hyper clap hyper clap

I've been meaning to get into this series, but gotta confess, still haven't watched it yet.

This news though? Wow jump Will definitely be tuning in!!!

Here's hoping for some scenes together,
Laura
Posted By: Millefeuilles Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 02/21/17 12:37 PM
Jeremiah Danvers will be back in next week episode... hyper

Trailer here:
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/d...h-danvers-in-this-promo-for-next-a149113
Posted By: DalekDoh Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 03/08/17 10:12 AM
smile1 There were quite a few moments in this week's episode would make folcs happy!!
Lillian Luther called Jeremiah "the only superman we need".
Kara said"Supergirl is what I can do, Kara is who I am."
Teri!
Posted By: TaliaJoy Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 03/08/17 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by DalekDoh
smile1 There were quite a few moments in this week's episode would make folcs happy!!
Lillian Luther called Jeremiah "the only superman we need".
Kara said"Supergirl is what I can do, Kara is who I am."
Teri!

Sounds cool! Maybe someday I'll actually be able to get into this show. I've only watched a couple of episodes and found it mediocre, and during the first season schoolwork keep me from watching it much anyway. Eventually I'd like to give it another shot, especially seeing Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher are in it.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 08/11/17 05:43 AM
I've just started watching Supergirl on Netflix (and hyper able to get my 10 y.o. son interested after FORCING him to watch a couple of episodes. ASIDE: He wasn't too keen on WW movie either. We had to drag him to that and he said it was 'ok'. Where did he learn female superheroes weren't worth watching??? Not from me! End aside.)

Did anyone else notice that S1.E5 "How Does She Do It" (the one where Kara babysits -- very badly -- Cat's son) was REALLY similar to Neverending Battle? I mean, come on! How could that episode NOT have been based on it? I knew that Lord character was bad news when I first saw him, but I didn't know he was going to be Supergirl's Lex Luthor. There's the tests and then Supergirl even has a confrontation with him ala Superman's speech to Lex at the end of NB -- it's basically the SAME speech. Interesting dynamic between Lord and Alex that makes me worried that Alex is going to turn bad at some point. eek
Posted By: Millefeuilles Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 03/15/18 11:09 PM
Anyone still watching Supergirl? I like this show, but unfortunately the plot holes are horrendous. The 3rd season scripts seem to jettison characters along the way: Jeremiah Danvers's fate doesn't seem to interest the writers anymore. huh
However, I admit I really like the Mon-El/Kara pairing: they were cute together, before they had to complicate everything. Hoping for a few more Superman sightings, though.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 03/15/18 11:32 PM
I'm still watching, but as for Superman-actor sightings, I think we're more likely to see Brandon Routh than Dean Cain on the show.

I'm hoping we get to see Supergirl's Superman again; I like Tyler Hoechlin in the role.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Lady Loisette Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 03/20/18 03:39 AM
I'm still watching the show and looking forward to when the new episodes return after Legends of Tomorrow finishes its season.
Posted By: Thaeri Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 03/31/18 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I'm still watching, but as for Superman-actor sightings, I think we're more likely to see Brandon Routh than Dean Cain on the show.

I'm hoping we get to see Supergirl's Superman again; I like Tyler Hoechlin in the role.

Joy,
Lynn
I don't really like what they're doing to Ray (Brandon Rouths's character) on Legends of Tomorrow to be honest. He's supposed to be an actual super hero in his own right and a darn good engineer, right?

He was all of that on Arrow, and for a while on Legends of Tomorrow, but now he's mostly the comic relief and playing second fiddle to the neanderthal on the team.

As far as as sightings go, Brandon is much more likely to show up on Supergirl. He plays a character on a show in the same multiverse with a bunch of crossovers, so bringing him in won't cost that much extra. But to be fair, he was on Arrow before Supergirl premiered.

I also really like Tyler Hoechlin as Superman/Clark.
Posted By: mrsMxyzptlk Re: Dean Cain in "Supergirl" - 04/14/18 04:37 AM
Originally Posted by Thaeri
I also really like Tyler Hoechlin as Superman/Clark.

I would totally watch a Superman show with that guy. He was like a breath of fresh air. I loved that scene in the first episode he was in where Clark and Kara are coming out of the elevator and Clark has knocked someone's papers all over the floor. Kara tells him that he's kind of overdoing his Clark Kent routine, and he replies, a bit embarrassed, that it was a genuine accident. It was just so cute an exchange!

I am completely not caught up on Supergirl (I'm somewhere in the middle of season 2...)
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards