Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Kitty giving a name. - 02/07/06 08:36 PM
Just want to know what you think of this. I'm gonna try voting first...I think...maybe.
Posted By: sheilah Re: giving a name. - 02/07/06 11:52 PM
When I was growing up, shortened versions or diminutives of names in our family were common. Thus, Debra, James, and Perry were Debbie, Jimmy, and Perry when they were little and are now Deb, Jim, and Per. In addition to those kinds of names, I called my kids by "love" names for years: dumplin', pun'kin, sweeting, dearling. Those kinds of nicknames were never intended to be teasing or taunting, but were ways of making the public name more familiar and intimate.

On the other hand, my kids used more teasing nicknames for each other, particularly for their younger brother, who was in a wheelchair. He got called "short stuff" for years.

Nonetheless, I think most nicknames I've been around have been motivated by the desire for a more familiar or private form of the formal name, so I chose "other."
Posted By: Dave Re: giving a name. - 02/08/06 12:52 AM
I picked 'other'. As far as I'm concerned, they're a form of endearment. Even if I'm teasing, it's all in good fun. smile
Posted By: Capes Re: giving a name. - 02/08/06 08:08 PM
To me a nickname is something given by someone who cares about you. I chose other. Therefore, I have many nicknames because my mother has turned it into an artform.
Posted By: Carolyn Re: giving a name. - 02/13/06 07:11 PM
I think it depends who's creating the nickname and to whom, sometimes I've heard nicknames that were meant to tease,sometimes as a compliment (to highlight a good quality's person) or just as an endearment.

Carolyn smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards