Lois & Clark Forums
We've been having an interesting discussion on IRC, so I thought I'd broaden it out...

I'll confess up front that I've read these books too many times to count, starting when I was ten or eleven... smile
Count me in as one of those who's lost count of how many times I've read the books. I'm sure it's been over a dozen times, and well before the current movies were in the works.

I've even suffered through the Rankin-Bass efforts of the Hobbit and Return of the King, just because I loved Tolkien so much. I liked the Ralph Bakshi version of "Lord of the Rings", even though it covers only half the trilogy, ending with the victory at Helm's Deep.

"Where there's a whip, there is a way!" Ack.

Despite a few gripes about the current movies, they are the best I've seen at re-creating Tolkien's vision of the epic. Definitely worth seeing, IMO.

An even more challenging question is, who's read the Silmarillion? <bg>
I read the trilogy once when I found out that Peter Jackson was making the movies. I think I'm going to have to read them again, though, since people keep mentioning things that I don't remember. blush
Devoured The Hobbit in third grade. Plowed through the first two LoR books almost as fast, although the writing was more difficult. (I remember being quizzed by a colleague of my English teacher's, who didn't believe I was really reading and understanding the first book. Showed her! laugh ) Ran aground about half-way thru book three. So many characters to keep straight! So much stuff happening all at once!

Gave up, read other stuff. In HS, I tried to read book three again. Trouble was, I didn't really remember any of these characters any more. The notion of starting the series from the beginning didn't appeal.

When the first movie came out, I bought the trilogy. It's still on my shelf . . . One of these days, maybe. huh
I voted for "Heard of it, don't especially care to hear more." Through the years a number of people have tried to convince me to read the books, but I just can't get excited about them. In general, I strongly dislike sci fi/fantasy stories. They just don't appeal to me. Mythical creatures (unicorns, trolls, leprechauns, fairies, etc) never interested me at all, not even as a child. I don't even normally like books/movies where the main character is an animal (dogs, horses, etc).

That said, I'm sure there is the possibility that I would read the books and enjoy them. Every once in awhile I discover a great book/movie that I would expect to hate. (I loved Orson Scott Card's book Ender's Game) However, I have a list a mile long of books I *really* want to read but haven't got around to yet. So when I do get a chance to read, I'm going to choose a book off that list rather than something like LotR which I might like, but probably won't.

Annie
I have happily never read the trillogy. I don't really like to read, and I absolutely despise anything SciFi or fantasy. Therefore, I know I won't like it, so I never read it smile . When I was in 6th grade, I was in accellerated reading class (I know, if you looked at me now, you'd never guess it) and I was assigned to read 'The Hobbit' and that was the most horrifically boring book imaginable. That is the book that taught me that I don't actually need to read the book to get A's on the tests laugh . I hated that book so much, I never had any urge to read the other books.

I have seen the first movie because my parents dragged me to the theater with them, but I did not like it. I thought the cinamatography was amazing, but I had trouble following the story and I got really bored after the first 20 minutes.

A group of my friends are going to see the last movie on Wednesday and I am happily not. I'll meet them for dinner after the movie, thank you very much smile .
I never read the books. I saw the first movie when I was in summer camp last year and they rented it, and for the second one my friend dragged me to the movie theatre even though I was sick and really wanted to stay home ("But Julie! I already got the tickets! You promised!" *sigh*). I guess I'm going to have to see the third one because I'm curious to see the end. I did NOT sit in a movie theatre wanting to throw up for nearly 3 hours (or however long it is), for nothing- I want to see the end. smile

In general, I strongly dislike sci fi/fantasy stories. They just don't appeal to me.
LOL, and what would you call Superman?

Julie
The books were fabulous, but I read them ages ago. After seeing the movies so far, I want to re-read them.

Ahh, I hope this is a recommendation. I almost bought it over the summer, but then chickened out at the last minute just because I hate buying books when I haven't heard anything about them. (As it is, I ended up buying some sci-fi book I never heard anything about and trashed it because it was simply awful. goofy )

Jen
I read the first book after I had seen the movie. I had heard of the book before, but it wasn't like anyone had said, "You *have* to read it!!", so it didn't really catch my interest till after I'd seen the film.

However, the remaining two are a bit...delayed. Haven't had the time yet, but I do plan on reading them after school's finished.

I think the movies are terific - spectacular cinematography, great actors, wonderful story and so on... smile

And...WOHOOO!! smile1
quote:

Ahh, I hope this is a recommendation. I almost bought it over the summer, but then chickened out at the last minute just because I hate buying books when I haven't heard anything about them. (As it is, I ended up buying some sci-fi book I never heard anything about and trashed it because it was simply awful. )
Jen,

One thing to know about the Silmarillion is that it is not your typical narrative. In the LotR, you have wonderful characters on their quest. In the Silmarillion, you have a true epic that spans millenia. It reads more like a history book describing events and characters from a distance with little to no dialogue.

For instance, you heard a brief tale told by Aragorn on Weathertop (Amon-Sul in the movie) in the Fellowship of the Ring about the story of Beren and Luthien and Beren's quest for the Silmarils, great fiery jewels made by the most powerful elf who ever lived, Feanor, stolen by Melkor. The Silmarillion tells just that tale from that sort of perspective, not from their points of view, but that of a storyteller.

The range of the book covers from the very beginning of time when the One, Eru, created the Valar and their servants, the Maiar. It was those servants of Eru who created Ea (known as Middle Earth) through their music.

It tells the tale of the renegade Valar, Melkor (or Morgoth), who nearly destroyed Middle Earth through the first age by sewing discord in the music of the Valar, and bending many of the Maiar to his cause, such as the mighty balrogs. You see the rise of the Elves, the firstborn, followed by the secondborn, man. And you feel the pain of the ages through the curse of the Noldor and the fall of the great elven kings, including the last of the Noldor kings, Gil-galad, who fell at the foot of Mount Doom alongside his friend, Elendil, fighting in the Last Alliance of Men and Elves to close out the second age. And the one Elf who witnessed it all, the oldest of all elves remaining in Middle Earth, Galadriel.

After the overthrow of Morgoth, you see the tale of Morgoth's chief lieutenant, who also dreams of conquest. How he befriends the great Numenoreans, the ancestors of Aragorn, and how he eventually betrays them, causing the downfall of Numenor. The only ones who escaped the sinking of the great island were Elendil and his sons Isildur and Anarion and their followers. And how Morgoth's lieutenant befriends the Elves, learning their secrets of ringmaking, eventually betraying them and making the one master ring, the ring to rule them all. Can you guess who? And then there's the Istari, five Maiar wizards sent to Middle Earth in the guise of old men, whose purpose is to guide men and Elves against the great evil. Two of the Istari are known as Saruman and Gandalf.

Because of the way the book is written, it is not everyone's cup of tea. But if you like a good epic, the Silmarillion is an excellent book. It is somewhat like reading a history book, but it's a history of make-believe. If you want to know the background of the LotR, the Silmarillion is the best place to look. As I said, it's not an easy read, but the stories within are absolutely amazing. I've read it about five times myself.

If you're like Tank or Saskia and absolutely love angst and WHAMs, this book is for you!
I have read the Silmarillion. It was quite grand in it's scope, but you are correct in that it reads more like a history book then a narrative.

It's been quite a while since I read it, but I do remember it being dry as toast.

Tank (who as a high schooler many many years ago, read the Harvard Lampoon's parody "Bored with the Rings" and found it humorous)
Just the Silmarillion? goofy What about Book of Lost Tales and HOME? I admit I haven't read POME yet... smile

I read Hobbit when I was nine and devoured LotR when I was ten, although a great many nuances went way over my head. They haven't since then, but when you read something literally dozens of times, you tend to get to know it rather well. :rolleyes:

Still have that crush on Aragorn, too... smile

For anyone who is interested in reading Silm, I refer you to Roger's excellent post. I will add that the book can be rather depressing -- after all, you're warned up front that the good guys can't possibly win, and then you have to read through all their futile efforts. (Or even wondering who *are* the good guys, after a while!) But the richness and incredible panaroma draw you in inexorably. I would definitely recommend skimming the first few chapters of the Valaquenta, though. (Although it's interesting to see why dwarves aren't quite like men, and how the Ents came into being...) It's one of the few frustrating things re Tolkien: he was more interested in the creation of an entire, complete world then in writing a gripping book, and you might find it hard to get through the background sketching before you hit the actual plot. Mind you, I'm as much in love with Middle-earth itself as I am with the characters by now, so perhaps the good professor was right, after all. smile

For those who don't really want to read the extras (it's surely not for everyone), I would recommend one extra reading: Book of Lost Tales , part 2, I think, in which Gimli, Frodo, and Gandalf are sitting in Minas Tirith and chatting, and Gandalf tells the story of The Hobbit from *his* point of view. Fascinating stuff. That same volume also includes the first Numenorean feminist, although she got rather carried away at the end and didn't have a very happy ending. (Not that her husband was much help, mind you.)

One of these days, I will write that crossover! Tempus sabotages Herb's time machine, and LnC find themselves several thousand years in the past, trying all 347 of Clark's languages on this 6'6" fellow with dark hair and grey eyes who is eyeing them very suspiciously... I can't decide if Arien will increase Clark's powers tenfold or dampen them, since she's not really the sun as we know it. Ah, well. Someday. Maybe. goofy

Hazel, still obsessed with Elessar Telcontar, and who would've gone with a Tolkien nick if Watership Down wasn't available wink
As SF fantasy is my favourite genre and has been for a long time, I did try to read the books more than once in my teen years and just couldn't get past the first couple of chapters. (From various irc conversations I know this is sacrilege, but what can you do? <g>)

So I wasn't expecting much from the movies. Then, one evening when my husband was at work, I was really, really, really bored <g>, and finally picked up the second movie and shoved it into the DVD player. And I was entranced throughout.

I have to say that if I'd watched them in the proper order like someone normal wink I might not have seen movie two at all. Although I really enjoyed the first movie once it got going and was just as enchanted by it in the end, I did find it slow to get started and I might well have given up on it if it had been the first movie I'd watched. As it was, it all worked out quite well and I'm looking forward to seeing part three.

Well...I was looking forward to seeing part three until I discovered it has no happy ending and now I'm not so sure. <G> I love watching my favourite movies again and again, but can't bear to watch those with unhappy endings more than once (witness Dances With Wolves), so that's something of a downer really.

Still not in the camp of being a fanatic and still not sure I'll ever read the books (they're probably in the same camp as Harry Potter - I might give them a try eventually, but in the meantime there are so many other books I'm desperate to buy and read, so they're way down on the list), but I think the movies are a superb achievement and great entertainment. One of those happy collaborations where every aspect comes together perfectly.

LabRat (who has no idea why everyone lusts after Aragon; Legolas is far cuter... <g>)
The third movie has no happy ending? I hadn't heard that, and it doesn't really fit with what I know from the books. Book three has a nice romance sub-thread with Faramir -- though they've changed Faramir already grumble , so who knows... And if they're cutting off before the scouring of the Shire, we can't see Sam's happy ending... Or maybe happy just isn't the right word to describe the ending. Personally, I'm always a little sad reaching the end, because then there's no more to read!

I *will* look up that Book of Lost Tales, though, so thanks for the tip, Hazel!

Can't say as I ever had much of a crush on any of the characters, as such. Except maybe Faramir laugh

PJ
There really isn't a category for me on your poll. I haven't read the books. I've only seen the first movie. But it isn't as if I'm not curious to know what it's all about.

Like, Labrat, I've tried reading the books. But I never could get past the first couple of chapters. I'm not much of a reader. Being dyslexic, you have to capture my attention immediately before I'm willing to put in the work required to read a book.

I watched the first movie. But it didn't do much for me. As a result, I haven't watched the second movie. But after reading this thread, I might give it another a try smile

ML wave
The third movie has no happy ending?
So, I'd heard. And now I'm racking my brains to remember where I heard it. On the radio or something. And Stuart had heard that a couple of the prime characters died. So I wasn't a happy camper. <G>

Sounds as though maybe I don't have much to worry about then. Yay!!!

LabRat smile (much happier)
And if they're cutting off before the scouring of the Shire, we can't see Sam's happy ending
grumble grumble grumble
That's all I have to say about that.

Jen
Tireless Defender of the Shire
*ahem* Just because there is no scouring of the Shire, does not mean Sam doesn't get his happy ending. And that's all I'll say about that, as what I have heard counts as rumors/spoilers, and I won't see the movie until tomorrow.
I'd tried to read The Hobbit as a child and could never get into it. And when Fellowship came out as a movie, we skipped it in the theatres. Then we rented the DVD, and it was all over for me!

I fell in love with Tolkein and Peter Jackson and hobbits and Legolas and Aragorn. After watching TTT, I read all three books of the trilogy within a week, needing to know how the story ended. I devoured anything I could get my hands on that discussed Middle Earth and its history. And if I could, I would be standing in line at 12:01 am to see ROTK.

This weekend I picked up the Silmarillion and may try to slog through it over the holidays - it's amazing what knowing some of the history behind the story does for your appreciation of the films - much more makes sense.

As for the no-happy-ending, as I understand it, Peter Jackson has remained as true to the books as he could, and he has already said that there will be no Scouring of the Shire. However, just because a movie doesn't end with Richard Gere carrying Debra Winger into the sunset doesn't mean that it doesn't have a satisfying ending. I reference the movie Green Card, as its ending wasn't Hollywood happy but still gave you hope for a future for the two main characters. So give the movie a go, then decide if you think the ending was happy or a let-down.

Regardless of what you think of Tolkein and LOTR, you have to appreciate the shere magnitude and amazing way that Peter Jackson and his crew have tackled this story and done it such justice. For any movie trilogy to garner this much praise and attention, there has to be something there.

I feel sorry for those who despise Tolkein's books so much that they can't enjoy the movies for what they are after you strip away the fantasy - a breathtaking story about good vs. evil, the power of friendship and loyalty, and how every person, no matter how small or unimportant, can make a difference.

Lynn
In general, I strongly dislike sci fi/fantasy stories. They just don't appeal to me.
LOL, and what would you call Superman?

Julie [/QB]
I'd say you had a point if I was at all interested in the Superman aspect of the myth or of the television show. But I'm not and I never have been. I'm interested in the romance between Lois and Clark and the in their jobs as reporters. Actually, Lois has always been my favorite character (in the movies as well as in the show). I fast forward through all the A-plots. And when I write, I often forget to include any superman activity at all and have to add it as an afterthought.

Annie
LabRat wrote:
As SF fantasy is my favourite genre and has been for a long time, I did try to read the books more than once in my teen years and just couldn't get past the first couple of chapters.
That's quite understandable. Tolkien sometimes gets carried away with his descriptions and can carry on ad nauseum about things for dozens of pages. There are as many pages about Bilbo's birthday party as there are years under his belt. So for those who have trouble getting past the first couple of chapters, I suggest skimming or skipping the birthday party, paying attention only to the part when Bilbo starts to give his speech. Once you get past the birthday party, the action begins.

As for a happy ending, it's all a matter of opinion.

SPOILERS below for those who haven't read the books.

I would say that the ending of Return of the King was rather depressing. Frodo tires of life and decides to take Arwen's seat on the ship to the undying lands. You have Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf, Bilbo, etc. all leaving Middle Earth, leaving it to the younger races. I wouldn't necessarily call that a happy ending.

Good things do happen to some of the characters, though. Gimli and Legolas go exploring all over Middle Earth. Aragorn, or Elessar Telcontar, marries his love and lives to a ripe old age. Sam gets married and has children.

But the ending, itself, was rather depressing with Sam coming home after riding back alone from the Grey Havens.

And on the matter of some of the major characters dying, note I haven't seen the third movie yet, but some do die. We already witnessed the death of Boromir. Denethor, who we haven't met yet, and King Theoden do die, while Faramir, Merry, Eowyn almost die in the books.
Peter Jackson has remained as true to the books as he could
razz ) And I understand that Denethor will be completely robbed of any nobility in RotK, too.

I was willing to overlook the more minor details that were changed for cinematic reasons, like Arwen replacing Glorfindel. (Her grandma took down Sauron's BOSS with one hand tied behind her back. She should be able to handle some wraiths. wink ) I was awed by how gorgeous New Zealand apparently is, and how much so much of it looked just as I'd always pictured M-e. The music, especially in FotR, was absolutely phenomenal. But characterization is soooo off it makes me cringe. It was so much worse in Two Towers that I dread to think what RotK is going to be like.

I will be fair, though; some characterization was dead-on. Aragorn as Strider, Sam, Gandalf (except for the fatherly hugs), Eowyn, Grima Wormtongue, Boromir, the background hobbits, and Eowyn, who was so good she deserves to be mentioned twice, too. laugh

Regarding crushes on Aragorn vs Faramir, Pam: Hey, Faramir belongs to Eowyn. (I wonder if that will even get into the movie... sigh.) And I always rooted for the Lady of the Shield-Arm. Arwen was always remote enough that my crush on Aragorn didn't get in her way. smile

I will add, for the non-fantasy lovers, that I don't read LotR for the fantasy aspect, but for the wonderful characters you get to know, the grand themes (maturity through both joy and sorrow, the inevitability of things changing and leaving, the power of hope, and a few other religious aspects I'll keep to myself wink ), and the fascination with how neatly and beautifully Tolkien created an entire world. Like Annie with the Superman aspect of LnC, the magical bits are merely window dressing for me.

Ooh, this is getting my all nostalgic. Maybe I'll pull out my ISIS CDs and listen to one of my favorite chapters when I go to sleep tonight...

Hazel, who saw the EE of FotR in the summer and thinks the actor who played a very good Celeborn should sue for having his entire part cut out of the cinematic version

EDIT: Roger went in and posted his own megillah while I was composing this one! So I'll just add this: no, RotK doesn't have a wholly happy ending, but it does have a realistic happy ending, which is one reason I like it so much. Eowyn and Faramir, and Aragorn and Arwen, find happiness (A&A get 120 years of married bliss); Frodo finds release and solace when Arwen gifts him with her ticket, so to speak, to Valinor. Sam, Pippin, and Merry lead long and happy lives, and Legolas and Gimli remain close friends till the end (or possibly even afterwards, according to the appendix). As for the elves leaving: well, that's interwoven throughout the entire book. The Third Age ends, a new age begins. It's not as if they're dying; they're simply going somewhere else, where they'll have to spend a lot of time composing songs to alleviate the boredom of immortality.

And Roger, Sam *isn't* alone when he rides back; Gandalf made sure Merry and Pippin would be there for him, and he *is* returning to his wife and daughter. Personally, I think Sam's final line in the book is one of the best endings to a novel I've ever read.

"Well, I'm back."

smile
I haven't read the other posts, in order to avoid the spoilers that may exist.

As I love reading, I have these books in my 'to be read' list. The problem is that I haven't had much time to do it, and I hate reading, say, one chapter a day, so I've left it for whenever I have lots of spare time to read them and enjoy them.

I haven't watched the movies either - they'd spoil the book for me.

Interesting poll smile
See ya,
AnnaBtG.
Er... you didn't mean that seriously, did you?
Well, yes, sort of seriously. I know it's been said by many, but take a look at the task in front of this director. Take a book of nearly 1,000 pages - some 1/2 million words - and beloved by legions of people all over the world and compress it down into three movies that, in order to be even remotely successful, must somehow conform to the loosest of movie industry norms.

Just looking at length alone, they faced an impossible task. How can you delve into the pasts and events that make the characters who they are when you can barely get people to sit still for three hours, let alone for three hours at three different times. Even now people are complaining about the length of ROTK and the fact that a meager 20-minute epilogue keeps people in their seats after the final climactic battle scenes.

So what's a poor guy to do?

I'm not a Tolkein purist. For that matter, I'm not a Superman purist. Which brings me to an interesting parallel. I'm sure that many a Superman comic fan cringed every week IF they even watched Lois and Clark, for I'm sure that it strayed far from canon when necessary to make for good TV. But still, I'm sure that there are Superman purists out there who found enough true to form to enjoy it for what it was - a great TV show that explored the lives of Lois and Clark and that other guy, Superman.

I don't mind when artists take a bit of creative license with a story in order to present it in a new way that might interest me. I'd even go so far as to say that I'm thankful I'm not a purist because I would hate to hate these movies. Yes, I would have serious issues if it were Sam tossing that ring into Mt. Doom while Aragorn stood by and watched and Gandalf and Sauron sat down to discuss their issues over a cup of tea, but for the most part, I think I got a good feel for who these characters were and what part in the story they played and felt none the poorer if I didn't get to see every facet of their personalities.

And if Peter Jackson played a little loose with characterizations, at least give him the credit of creating scores of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of new LOTR fans - me being one of them. Without his movies, I would never have picked up the books.

So in the end, I will buy my ticket, sit back in my seat with my super-sized diet Coke and bucket-o-corn, shed a few tears, cheer and jeer, and marvel at the story I'm being shown, just as I did when I read the books.
wink
Lynn
I'm an 'other'. I'm ambivalent about LotR. My Mum read me the Hobbit when I was little, which I seem to remember enjoying tremendously, but I never got interested in the other books. I missed watching the first film at the cinema, so now I kind of feel I've missed the boat. I don't think they'd be the same on a small portable TV, somehow, so I haven't rented the DVDs. Plus, I heard the second film featured two armies fighting each other, which didn't exactly thrill me, and all the clips I've ever seen seem to feature long-haired men - can't stand long hair on men <vbg>. One of these days I'll probably end up watching the films, but I'm not rushing.

Yvonne
Yes, I would have serious issues if ... Gandalf and Sauron sat down to discuss their issues over a cup of tea
Oh, my lord, Lynn, I'm about to fall over laughing at that mental image! rotflol Thanks!

PJ
Just this morning I read an article that I think really clarifies what I was trying to explain in my post a few steps back. It is written by someone who didn't automatically love FoTR and TTT, so it seems like a fairly realistic viewpoint going in.

Take a look - I don't think it contains any spoilers that would ruin the movie, but if you want to go see RoTK a complete spoiler-virgin, you may not want to read it.

FoTK Review at theonering.net

See ya at the movies.
Lynn
Thanks, Lynn, that was an interesting perspective.

I also ran across something, on my favorite satire-news site...
\'Rings\' Fans Awed by Sequel\'s Car Chase Scene

goofy

PJ
rotflol

That was priceless, Pam! I still have tears streaming down my face!!

Thanks for the great laugh.
Lynn
Plus, I heard the second film featured two armies fighting each other, which didn't exactly thrill me,
Don't let that put you off, Yvonne. <G> I'm usually bored rigid by that kind of thing too, but the direction on that epic battle was so superb I was rivetted to my chair throughout and actually yelled out 'No, don't let them get through!' at one climatic moment, embarrassing myself mightily. <G> Luckily I was on my own and not in the cinema. goofy My heart was in my throat all the way through.

LabRat smile
LabRat wrote:
I did try to read the books more than once in my teen years and just couldn't get past the first couple of chapters. (From various irc conversations I know this is sacrilege, but what can you do? <g>)
Sounds familiar! I've tried a couple of times. I guess I'm a lazy reader; I have to read too much inpenetrable text for work. I'm not going to do it for pleasure! And I do remember LotR being quite impenetrable. wink

Also, like Annie, I'm not a fan of fantasy... as a general rule. I have read one or two things, and I've been let down by books that others have strongly recommended to me.

I had to think about what it was about fantasy that doesn't appeal, and I came up with the following. I am quite happy for the stories I read to have elements of the fantastic to them, but I would like them to have at least a toe-hold of a relationship to reality.

That's why I can cope with Superman and the occasional other superhero. It's also why I loved Matt Ruff's 'Fool On The Hill' when I read it. And it helps to explain why I am also besotted with young Mr Potter.

H'm. Maybe I have a lazy imagination, too! smile

I used to go past Sarehole Mill very regularly on the number 11 bus when I was living in Birmingham. Can't quite remember the significance of that; was it Tolkein's childhood home or where he wrote the books? Whatever, it did reinforce both my view that I should read the books and the guilt I feel that I haven't.

I think I'm going to continue to live with the guilt, though. There are plenty of other Great Books that I haven't read that I'd like to read first. (Now, where is my Complete Works of Charles Dickens? wink )

Incidentally, I gather that LotR is, according to the BBC's Big Read, the UK's favourite novel. I was quite shocked by that result. Then again, I was pleasantly surprised when my personal favourite had managed to make it into slot number 44!

Chris
Incidentally, I gather that LotR is, according to the BBC's Big Read, the UK's favourite novel. I was quite shocked by that result.
LOL, seems you're not alone, Chris. It raised a few eyebrows and started a lot of grumbling from various quarters about how this was supposed to be a quest to find Britain's best book and how it only got to no. one on the back of some multi-million dollar publicity for the movies.

I'm not sure how I feel about that one myself. I think it's probably true that a chunk of votes did come from people who've never even read the books, but only seen the movies - which as the grumblers note rather defeats the purpose of the entire exercise. But I tend to also think that those who have read the books adore them and are not shy about saying so. goofy Or voting so. wink

So I guess we'll never know whether it got in by default or not.

I hear that the exercise was a roaring success though with book sales and library checkouts of all of the shortlisted books rising by a massive percentage. Way to go! hyper

LabRat smile
I voted for "haven't read the books but have enjoyed the movies." Also, we play a couple different versions of role playing games. My hubby has read all three books about 40 times and he has ALL of the other books released before and after Tolkien died. I've given up on trying to buy books for him. Every time I find one that I don't recognize, he's already got it.

Now that the third movie is out, we'll probably see it this weekend (Craig saw it last night and can't wait to see it again) and then I'll finally read all three books. When I wrote The Forgotten Folk , this conversation was based on Craig and me...

"Didn't you ever read Tolkien?" he asked her.

"No," she admitted.

"How could I have married someone who hasn't read 'The Lord of the Rings'?" he teased her.
laugh
Ok I have read the books. They are my favorite all time books and yes I want to be burried with them! I fell in love with Tolkien's world in 9th grade when I was asigned the Hobbit for a class reading. Since then I have purchased at least 4 sets over time of the trilogy and a couple of the Hobbit. I read them every fall. I may have missed a few years but I think I have read them about 30 times. I love fantasy, but I have enjoyed few books, well no other books, the way I have the LOTR. Lothlorien is my dream place and my favorite part of the book. Like watching Its A wonderful Life every Christmas, reading LOTR every fall is like visiting old friends.

If I could have met anyone in the world living or deceased, Tolkien would be on my list next to Titian and Van Gogh. I have also read the Silmarilian but that was more like muddling through the Bible. It is by all accounts Tokiens Bible. I have audio tapes and have seen the few cartoon versions as well, including Ralph Bashki's version. That started out good then fizzled half way.

So far I think the movies are pretty good for effects and filming location. I think the characters for the most part, are done fairly well. Though Frodo should be a young 50, Sam I didn't picture like that at all, but Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf and Aragorn were all pretty good. Boromir was also well done, but Faramir so far is a big dissapointment. Also I don't like what they did with Merry and Pippin.

I wish they stayed with the story and didn't veer off from the books as much as they did. But I am still enjoying them somewhat. I give the director credit for attempting such a HUGE job. I wish I could have been part of the backdrop in the film. Too bad I live on the other side of the world<g> Anyway, I wonder if there are many fans as big of a fan as I am. Oh and I do own a ring<g> Laura
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards