Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Endelda Message Indicator Always Flashing - 05/31/18 10:00 PM
Is the little envelope/message indicator in the top menu bar meant to flash all the time?

I thought it was only supposed to flash when you had an unread message, but it's been blinking at me non-stop since I created this account.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 06/03/18 04:13 PM
Hi Endelda,

no, it's not supposed to do that. Just to make sure, you did check that you don't have an unread welcome-to-the-boards message sticking around in your message board inbox?

wave Michael
Posted By: Endelda Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 06/04/18 01:48 AM
Hi Michael!

I just double checked; I only had a few message threads (is that the right term?), and I just deleted all but one and then made sure it was fully read. I'm still blinking frown

I'm using Chrome and Windows 10, if that helps.

huh Endelda
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 06/07/18 06:17 PM
Hi Endela,

hmm...okay, then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, too.

But according to the software support forum, this appears to be a known issue:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/247807/ubb-7-5-6-flashing-new-messages-icon
and
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/212363/new-pm-indicator-always-flashing

The second thread offers an admin solution, so maybe Annette could help smile1

wave Michael
Posted By: Endelda Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 06/07/18 11:49 PM
Thanks Michael!
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 07/13/23 10:40 PM
I’m bumping this old thread here so that Michael knows it’s still an issue for FoLCs (since he’s now the tech lead after Annette stepping back to take care of family stuff).

Drdeathdefying, SuperBek, and Carrie Rene just today reported that it still happens for them.

Sara smile
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 07/13/23 11:32 PM
Me tooo! I just stopped looking at it.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 07/15/23 04:34 PM
Hi guys!

I have manually adjusted the database for Toomi8, Drdeathdefying, SuperBek, and Carrie Rene. Please let me know if things are fixed.

wave Michael
Posted By: JadedEvie Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 07/16/23 06:20 AM
May I please ask for this fix, as well? It's on every time I log in, regardless of whether there is a message or not. It's a very hard working little indicator.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 07/20/23 05:47 AM
Hi Evie, on my list for today/tomorrow smile

wave Michael
Posted By: PuffyTiger Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 07/21/23 01:10 PM
Mine does too!

But... I'm not sure I actually want you to fix it. It's done it so long I might really miss it if you did...

(no, that's OK, go ahead and fix it, lol)
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 07/22/23 05:43 PM
Hi guys,

I just purged all suspected records from the system. The notification icon should now work correctly for everyone. I can't say how long the fix will hold though.

wave Michael
Posted By: JadedEvie Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 07/24/23 06:14 AM
Thank you so much, Michael! It's been working correctly for the first time over the last two days!
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Message Indicator Always Flashing - 07/24/23 12:44 PM
You're welcome! smile1
wave Michael
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards