Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Avatar? Help! - 05/23/11 10:33 PM
I've been trying to set my avatar to one of the pre-loaded ones on the site. I select the pic, hit the "Select" button, and update my profile, but the avatar still doesn't "stick" - what am I doing wrong?
Posted By: LabRat Re: Avatar? Help! - 05/24/11 07:29 AM
It's been so long since I had to choose an Avatar that I can't recall the specifics, but try following the step by step instructions here , DC.

If that doesn't solve the problem, let the admins know and we'll work on it. smile

LabRat smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Avatar? Help! - 05/24/11 12:04 PM
Still no dice LabRat. It's like the preloaded ones are bugged or something. I'll just have to look around for another one I guess.
Posted By: bobbart Re: Avatar? Help! - 05/24/11 01:58 PM
1. In your profile, select “Select a different Avatar image”
2. Find the Avatar you want.
3. Right click on it and select “Copy Image Location”. Depending on your OS, you might have to open the picture properties window and then copy the address of the image. The key for this step is to get the address of the picture and copy it.
4. Select “Cancel” on the left side of the screen to exit.
5. Go back into the “Select a different Avatar image” screen.
6. Go the the bottom of the first Avatar selection screen.
7. Go to the “Use Custom URL” window.
8. Clear it out.
9. Right click and select “Paste” to paste in the URL of the image you picked.
10. Then press “Set URL”
11. Then go to the upper left and click “Select This Avatar”

I just verified that this works. BTW: This was the process I had to use 3+ years ago when I picked my first Avatar. I think there is supposed to be an easier way, but if so it has been broken for a long time. Since I found a workaround on my own, I never thought to mention it. Sorry. huh
Bob
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Avatar? Help! - 05/24/11 03:50 PM
Thanks bobbart! I think that time it worked!
Posted By: LabRat Re: Avatar? Help! - 05/24/11 05:47 PM
Thanks, Bob. I've added in your set of instructions to the Avatar instructions thread - hopefully one set or another will solve any issues in the future.

LabRat smile
Posted By: AmyN Re: Avatar? Help! - 05/24/11 06:11 PM
Here's a related question. When I first set up my profile years ago, I checked a box to not show avatars. Now I can only see avatars when I'm not logged in (and I'm almost always logged in). There doesn't seem to be an option to turn avatars back on in my profile. Any ideas dizzy

Amy
Posted By: LabRat Re: Avatar? Help! - 05/25/11 02:33 AM
No idea why the option isn't showing up for you, Amy, but I've switched avatars back on for you. They should work now - let me know if they don't. smile

LabRat smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards