Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Darth Michael Board downtimes? - 01/27/08 10:53 AM
Hi

Since I'm not the only one who noticed a problem, I thought, I'd post instead of PM.

The server seemed to have been offline for the past 8(?) hours and just came back online about an hour ago. Since I have noticed several downtimes over the last few months, I thought, I'd ask what the story behind them is?

Edit:
And the access seems to keep being a bit unstable (server time 13:00). The boards become inaccessible for a few minutes before they are reachable again.

Regards, Michael
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Board downtimes? - 01/27/08 01:51 PM
I don't know if it's the same as what you're describing, but I found out earlier this afternoon that when I tried to use one particular URL to go to the boards (http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php) it wouldn't work. I would just get a blank white screen, the browser would hang for a while, and then it would stop--still on the blank white screen.

But then I went through the front end of the site (www.lcficmbs.com) and clicked the image link on the splash page. The URL it took me to then was http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php, and it's worked fine for me ever since. Could that be the problem?

Did the board's location get changed or something?
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Board downtimes? - 01/27/08 01:59 PM
Hm, good point. Normally, the server should at least respond with something, even if the path is invalid. But if it's all part of some maintenance work it might be two symptoms of the same cause.

Michael
Posted By: Crazy_Babe Re: Board downtimes? - 01/27/08 02:31 PM
I've only just managed to get back on today. I had tried all day yesterday and kept getting the unable to find server page.
Posted By: kmar Re: Board downtimes? - 01/27/08 02:45 PM
I got the website found waiting for site to respond message. First time I ever got that message for hours.
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Board downtimes? - 01/27/08 07:17 PM
I got the website found waiting for site to respond message. First time I ever got that message for hours.
That's the same type of message I got, but then after a long time (I mean, at least half an hour) it finally said "Done" down in the status tray, but the page was all white.

I tried it both last night before I went to sleep, then again early this afternoon. Neither time worked, until I switched to the other URL.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Board downtimes? - 01/27/08 10:09 PM
I don't know about the last few months - the last problem I recall was back in September. But, anyway, here's the thread on that. Whether it's relevant or not, I have no clue. laugh
Board Problem

LabRat smile
Posted By: carolm Re: Board downtimes? - 01/27/08 10:22 PM
I get this problem from time to time - more lately it seems, but I don't know if it's a boards thing or not...

I hit refresh and get a time out message basically. I got it this afternoon as I was posting the first hangman with letters in it so it's not just when I hit refresh. It was for several hours yesterday and for about 20 minutes or so today - maybe an hour or so.

Eventually, I hit refresh again and it works... *shrug*.
Carol
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Board downtimes? - 01/28/08 01:17 PM
Originally posted by LabRat:
I don't know about the last few months - the last problem I recall was back in September. But, anyway, here's the thread on that. Whether it's relevant or not, I have no clue. laugh
Board Problem

LabRat smile
I checked that out first. But since the IP-address stayed the same during the downtime and after, I'm leaning towards ruling it out as an issue.

Michael
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Board downtimes? - 04/19/08 10:43 AM
It looks like the boards had been down today for about 12 hours (till just about half an hour ago or so). I'm reasonably certain it was not a dns issue but rather a normal server downtime.

The last long outage that I remember was the one I mentioned in the first post. Given both happened on a Sunday (for me) and lasted from early in the morning (some might call it night time wink ) till about noon (server time), I wonder if there is a maintenance window or something going on that takes the server offline.

Michael
Posted By: coolgirl Re: Board downtimes? - 04/19/08 11:32 AM
The Message Boards will be shut down on Friday April 25th and will not return until April 27th. We are moving to a new Web Host. We appreciate the patience with the issues and hope you hang in there until the move is complete.
Thank you,
Annette.
Thanks for the info, Annette! And yes... we'll hang in here!
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Board downtimes? - 04/19/08 11:53 AM
Yes, thank you Annette for the heads up.
Michael
Posted By: carolm Re: Board downtimes? - 04/19/08 08:02 PM
Thanks Annette!

Carol
Posted By: TOC Re: Board downtimes? - 04/19/08 11:45 PM
Yes, thank you, Annette!

Ann
Posted By: Mrs. McLeod Re: Board downtimes? - 04/20/08 03:51 AM
Thank you.. and hopefully there will be no more problems smile

Camy
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: Board downtimes? - 04/27/08 03:12 PM
We're back! clap