Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: amciotola Showing off the Avatar! - 08/03/05 06:22 PM
Woot!!

I'm delusional. <G>
Posted By: Julie S Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/03/05 06:27 PM
/me shows off her own... laugh

Julie smile
Posted By: Karen Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/03/05 08:26 PM
Do you know how hard it is to pick an avatar? I wish I could figure out a way to rotate them...
Posted By: HatMan Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/03/05 09:30 PM
Rotate how? Any decent image editing program should be able to rotate a pic. MS Paint can do it, but only by 90 degree increments. If you want to do better than that, you'll need more powerful software. ThumbsPlus should be able to do it, IIRC, and that's shareware (you get 30 days or so before it turns off some features).

Paul
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/03/05 10:41 PM
I think Karen means a way of cycling through several different avatars over a time-period... wink

Wendy smile
Posted By: Shadow Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/03/05 11:00 PM
LOL Julie. That kicks butt. Wait, I mean ur real neat, l8er...or something like that. It's hard enough trying to type out that garble. <g>

Jen
Posted By: Karen Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/04/05 09:02 AM
Wendy was right. laugh I want a way for it to pull a random avatar off my webserver, so I can use all of my favorites without having to go in and keep changing the url. Lazy? Mebbe. Silly? Definitely. lol
Posted By: Elena Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/04/05 11:54 AM
I want a way for it to pull a random avatar off my webserver, so I can use all of my favorites without having to go in and keep changing the url.
Oh yeah! Me too! That would be so cool. smile1
Posted By: HatMan Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/04/05 01:03 PM
Oh. Right. Silly me. That makes more sense. blush

Hmm. There are some other boards I visit which have rotating images... but that uses javascript, and the avatar image here has to be an image file rather than a pointer.

Unless... what would happen if you kept the same file name, but changed the image? The boards would update that, right?

So... you could tell the boards that your avatar should be ~/myavatar.jpg and then just change the image in that file.

You should be able to create a program that does that for you. Let's say you have 10 avatars that you want to use. Give each one a number (either in the program or by naming them avatar1.jpg, avatar2.jpg, etc). Then...

1. select a random number from 1 to 10.
2. delete myavatar.jpg
3. make a copy of the file that corresponds to the number chosen in step 1
4. name the copy myavatar.jpg

Shouldn't be too hard. Then, you can run the program whenever you feel like it, or find some way to automate it (have the program run periodically, or be called when myavatar.jpg has been accessed x number of times, or something like that).

Should work, right?

Paul
Posted By: Karen Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/04/05 05:28 PM
I've found something here , but I haven't been able to get it to work yet. Maybe you can take a stab at it, El.

I found a way to get a php file to randomly pick a picture, but the boards won't keep a php file as an avatar. So this script tries to get a jpg file (really a php file) to run as php, but it's not wanting to work on my computer.
Posted By: Elena Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/04/05 06:01 PM
Let's say you have 10 avatars that you want to use.
Err...112 as of today. blush

Elena blush

P.S. Thanks for the link, Karen. Dunno if it will work, but it's worth checking. smile
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/12/05 04:53 AM
YAY!!! Look at the icon Julie made for me!!! smile1

Thanks, Julie!!! sloppy
Posted By: Sorcha Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/12/05 05:14 PM
Oooh look at me, I got one too!!!!!!

Julie, we love you!!!!!!!!!!! notworthy sloppy

Sorcha [bouncing!]
Posted By: BanAnna Re: Showing off the Avatar! - 08/13/05 11:20 PM
New icon! laugh

~Anna
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards