Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Vicki AAARG! What am I doing wrong? - 11/30/04 04:22 PM
I'm attempting to add an avatar.

I go to my profile page and click on "Select a different avatar image"

I paste the URL in where it says "Use Custom URL"

I click "Set URL" and my avatar appears up in the top right hand corner.

I click "Select this Avatar" and I'm taken back to my profile page, where I can see the pic I selected in my avatar image box.

I click "Update Profile".

I post a test and get no avatar.

I go back to my profile, and my avatar image box is blank.

What am I doing wrong?

- Vicki
Posted By: HatMan Re: AAARG! What am I doing wrong? - 11/30/04 05:21 PM
My fault. I resized it so it would fit within the allowed pixel size, but forgot to check the file size. I converted the image to jpg format, which greatly reduced the file size, and uploaded it again. Should work now. Use the same URL, but change the file name to squirrel.JPG and everything should be fine. Sorry for the mix-up.

Paul
Posted By: Vicki Re: AAARG! What am I doing wrong? - 11/30/04 08:36 PM
Paul,

Now I get a box with a red X in it. huh

- Vicki
Posted By: Wendymr Re: AAARG! What am I doing wrong? - 11/30/04 08:52 PM
Paul, Vicki, I took a look in Vicki's profile, using admin privileges, to see what was going on. Found the URL of her avatar, pasted it in a browser window... and got

file not found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Vicki, if you email Elena at elena@lcficmbs.com and attach the photo you want to use, she'll resize it for you and host it on the boards server. El's pretty much our resident avatar magician. wink

Wendy smile
Posted By: malu Re: AAARG! What am I doing wrong? - 12/01/04 12:03 AM
Wendy, Vicki, and Paul,

There is no need. I looked at the properties for the avatar (mouse right-click over avatar, and "Properties"), and there you can see the path and filename for the avatar being used. I also got the "Page not found" for that address, but you can access the folder where the avatar is supposed to be (by erasing the filename).

The file is in the folder, but the filename is "squirrel.JPG" (JPG in capital letters). If you use the capital letters on the address, or change the filename to "squirrel.jpg", it might work.

Malu
Posted By: Vicki Re: AAARG! What am I doing wrong? - 12/01/04 03:22 AM
Aha! Thank you, Malu.

I thought when Paul said the file was squirrel.JPG he was using the caps for emphasis. I didn't know I had to use them, too. blush

Thanks for your help, everyone. A special Thank You to Paul! wave

- Vicki
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards