Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Annie B. Solar Eclipse - 08/21/17 11:56 PM
So, FOLCs, who saw the solar eclipse today? Were you in an area where the sun was completely blocked out, or just partially?

I got to go outside and view it just for a moment today, when one of the science teachers at my school lent me a pair of eclipse glasses and I was able to see it at about the peak amount of darkness in this area (SoCal).
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Solar Eclipse - 08/22/17 12:54 AM
I was in an area with a partial eclipse. I hadn't had a chance to get the glasses, so all I did was look out an east-facing window. (I purposely chose a window opposite where the sun would be so that I wouldn't have the temptation of looking up.) From where I was, the eclipse was a disappointment; what little it darkened outside could just as easily have been from cloud cover; even in the darkest time, I could still see shadows of trees. I've experienced far more spectacular lunar eclipses (plural) than this solar eclipse had been for me.

I imagine those in the path of totality had a different, far more compelling, experience.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: Solar Eclipse - 08/22/17 01:02 AM
My boss made a solar eclipse viewing box. We went outside and looked at it through the box and ooh'd and ahh'd over it. We are in Birmingham so we had about 90%. It was pretty neat. There were little crescents all over the ground. It did get pretty dark over here for a few minutes and then brightened up.
Posted By: CarrieRene Re: Solar Eclipse - 08/22/17 02:45 AM
We made 3 viewing boxes for my girls. We had about 96% coverage and it was pretty cool. My 3 year old thought it was time to sit outside in the heat. The older girls learned a few things today. An overall fun homeschool experience for my house.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: Solar Eclipse - 08/22/17 11:47 AM
I was in an area where you could see the total eclipse. It was cloudy a few moments before the event but otherwise you could see everything using eclipse glasses.
Posted By: Morgana Re: Solar Eclipse - 08/22/17 07:50 PM
Where I live it was a red point of light in the sky. Kind of reminded me of Krypton.
Posted By: Lady Loisette Re: Solar Eclipse - 08/24/17 03:19 AM
I was just outside the path of totality, as in less than a half hour's drive, so my dad and I made the short trip needed to be in the path of totality that morning and spent the day in a grocery store parking lot. There was some cloud cover which caused the sun to go in and out of view throughout the event. Luckily just about a minute before totality the sun came back into view and allowed us to view totality. It was beautiful and everyone who had come to the parking lot to view the eclipse broke out in cheers and applause. For a minute we had some confused street lights and crickets that thought it was nighttime. Overall it was a pretty nice eclipse viewing experience.
Posted By: Annie B. Re: Solar Eclipse - 08/24/17 06:13 PM
I found this and thought it was relevant:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Solar Eclipse - 08/24/17 07:37 PM
rotflol

Of course, with his invulnerable eyes, Clark doesn't need the glasses. I guess he is using them to be a good role model for those around him.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Solar Eclipse - 08/27/17 07:32 AM
rotflol Annie for some reason your pic makes me think more of a "Weekend at Bernies" situation. lol

Saw the eclipse! It was pretty cool. We had like 80% coverage or something here which was cool but my grandparents went up to Oregon and saw it in totality so they had it way better. goofy
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards