Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Mouserocks Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/18/12 07:50 PM
Just a quick question to see what everyone thinks about this. Would anyone be interested in being interviewed/adding some commentary about fanfiction? It can be about anything you want really, or whatever ideas you have. I'm writing a blog for my class based on fanfiction- and I won't post a link yet because I'm fabulously behind in it. laugh

Anyway, if anyone is interested in providing any extra information on the topic, please respond here. Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks!
wave
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/18/12 09:17 PM
I wouldn't mind!

wave
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/19/12 05:38 AM
As time permits, I'd be happy to be interviewed.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/19/12 03:16 PM
Thanks gals! I have a feeling that you might just save my life on this one! I'll be sure to message you when the assignment comes up. help grovel
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/19/12 03:18 PM
I have a feeling that you might just save my life on this one!
Oooh... I get to play Superman? Cool! (Of course, it would be even more cool if I got to play *with* Superman... wink )

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Olive Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/19/12 05:15 PM
I'm only a reader, but I'd like to help you too. smile
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/19/12 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Of course, it would be even more cool if I got to play *with* Superman... wink
/sigh/ Don't we all wish that... smile1
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/19/12 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Olive:
I'm only a reader, but I'd like to help you too. smile
Sure thing! A different perspective might be nice, too. The more the merrier! laugh
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/19/12 06:15 PM
I'd like to help you if you're interested! In fact, I've been interviewed about fanfiction in the past for a Greek magazine as well... cool
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/19/12 10:44 PM
Great! Adding you to the current list, Anna... Thanks!
Posted By: MLT Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/23/12 04:06 PM
I don't know if this will help, but interviews were done of both readers and writers of Lois and Clark fanfiction a number of years ago.

If you want to see these interviews, they are posted at Annesplace at http://www.nfanfic.net under 'Writer's Showcase' and 'Reader's Showcase'. Depending on what exactly you're looking for, these might be helpful.

ML wave
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/23/12 09:50 PM
Originally posted by MLT:
I don't know if this will help, but interviews were done of both readers and writers of Lois and Clark fanfiction a number of years ago.

If you want to see these interviews, they are posted at Annesplace at http://www.nfanfic.net under 'Writer's Showcase' and 'Reader's Showcase'. Depending on what exactly you're looking for, these might be helpful.

ML wave
Thanks, ML. It's not quite what I'm looking for, because my instructor's looking for some very specific things, but it's a good resource. smile
Posted By: dcarson Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/25/12 03:39 AM
If you want a heavy reader who can't manage to write to save his life I'm up for it.
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/25/12 03:50 PM
Ditto. smile
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/27/12 04:24 PM
Thanks, all! Check your pm box for the questions. smile1

WHOOPS!!!

*ALSO*:
Extremely important final question that I forgot to mention on the list!!!

21. What is your opinion on the SOPA/PIPA Acts and how it will affect the fanfiction community?

A couple of sites to hit up about this topic, in case you're out of the loop:

SOPA and PIPA

SOPA and PIPA affects

Blackout Aftermath

Edit: In case you're wondering, the first question is optional, but since I am trying to pull statistics out of it, I'd appreciate as much information as you could provide. If you do not want this information to displayed through the interviews, but are okay with sharing, I will cooperate with that. That goes for anything you answer- your secrets are safe with me. wink

Thanks again!!!
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/27/12 09:53 PM
Got it! I'm working on it right now in Word. I'll email you over the document as soon as I am done!
Posted By: dcarson Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/28/12 02:01 AM
Reply sent via email.
Posted By: Olive Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/28/12 05:41 AM
I'm working on it. Can't record my answers in audio at the moment, so I'm going to send them in word.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/28/12 05:54 AM
I e-mailed my reply.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Olive Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/28/12 10:42 AM
My answers are in your mail. smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/28/12 01:40 PM
Emailed you a Word Document with my answers last night. smile
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 02/28/12 09:19 PM
Thanks to one and all!

I think I've got just about everyone's responses (all who said they've sent them, anyway)~ great submissions. In case anyone is curious about whether they can audio record some answers, let me know. If tech is a problem, I can give you some help. wink /shameless guilt-tripping/

I've already got one taker, though, so it's alright.

Thanks again, FoLCs! You've got me just about on my way to success!
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/08/12 06:57 PM
Just a quick update and acknowledgement. I'm working with the interviews currently, and would like to just thank all of you who participated once again. I'd also like to let you know that for those of you who mentioned story titles in their interviews (so far Lynn and DC wink ), I'm posting as many links of the stories as I can into the blog as well. Provided I can find them easily, of course.

Just to let you all know. smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/08/12 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
Just a quick update and acknowledgement. I'm working with the interviews currently, and would like to just thank all of you who participated once again. I'd also like to let you know that for those of you who mentioned story titles in their interviews (so far Lynn and DC wink ), I'm posting as many links of the stories as I can into the blog as well. Provided I can find them easily, of course.

Just to let you all know. smile
Links to the stories? WOW! You rock! dance

All of mine are on fanfiction.net and most of the L&C ones are on the archive, save for about four of them that are with betas/waiting for upload.

Hope your project is going smoothly and please post the link to it when you are finished!
Posted By: Olive Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/10/12 07:49 AM
Please link when you're finished! Good luck!
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/10/12 04:34 PM
I have included my story title too - it's a Harry Potter fic I have been posting on Fanfiction.net. My stories are under the name Anna B. the Greek.

Good luck with the rest of the work! smile
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/17/12 04:17 AM
Whew!!!

So, this assignment is done! (Still going to work on developing the blog more, but for class, it is where it is.) dance I'm working on transferring some of the interviews to audio still, but we'll see when that gets done. huh

Thanks to anyone and everyone who had a hand in helping me with this project- and even to everyone on the boards in general, who inspire me on a daily basis to be proud of participating in this community. notworthy I owe you one, big time.

For anyone curious, here's a couple of links to my project.

Video Project (Be warned- I did this in under three days, and I hate the sound of my voice... so I'm a little disappointed, but oh well.)

Interviews on Fanfiction

Fan Fiction Fan - Home Page

*PLEASE NOTE: This is uncomfortable for me, but since you've all been so fabulous about helping me out, I'm giving you a pass on this one and letting you sneak a peek into my real life. laugh Please no stalking. wink
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/17/12 05:33 AM
I just checked out the video. (I plan to follow your other links later today, as time permits.)

The video was super! The script is good, and the visuals you chose for it were fantastic. (Monk and "my Superman" both had me laughing.)

Thanks for taking the risk to share this with us.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Sue S. Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/17/12 10:23 AM
I'm with Lynn - the video was well done. I, too, laughed at "my Superman". And "delusions of grandeur". Heh. lol I think you're being unnecessarily hard on yourself. You have a charming voice. laugh
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/17/12 02:23 PM
Just checked out the video, interviews, and blog. Awesome looking. I loved the video - too funny! "My Superman" indeed! Is there really any other? wink
Posted By: Olive Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/17/12 04:27 PM
Great Work!! I especially loved the graphics of the blog clap
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/17/12 04:56 PM
Great work there! Loved the video, it was really fun. smile And I read all of your blog, too!

After some data scraping from Fanfiction.net, it appears (unexpectedly) that when compared directly, tv shows beat out films over 3 to 1!

I was actually quite surprised to learn this. When you think about what might be the most popular fandoms, typically things like “Harry Potter”, “Star Wars”, and “Star Trek” come to mind. So it was interesting to learn that those topics combined did not even outweigh the number of stories people write about the television show “Glee”.
Hm, that's weird! Though something that crosses my mind is that these fandoms have (or may have) their own archives.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/17/12 05:58 PM
That was a great video, Mouse! thumbsup

I liked your interviews and how people got started in writing/reading fanfiction. Very enlightening. I feel like even more of a newbie, because I didn't start reading fanfiction until 2010, when I stumbled upon the Archives, when looking for something on LnC online because I'd watched all 4 seasons through in two months (twice) and I needed MORE. MLT's excellent Time Traveler\'s Wife made me realize how good fanfiction could be (so blame her, not me if I drive any of you nuts on a regular basis. wink Just kidding. I know that's my fault. laugh )

I, personally, don't outline... until my current WIP. And I NEEDED to because of bouncing between time and space (dimensions), but I'm only using it as a general guideline. In the case of ML, I didn't want to write *another* ten chapters to get to the end (trust me, I could have), so I did write out all those dangling threads that needed to be tied up by the last chapter to make sure I didn't forget anything. Usually, I tell my characters either where they will start or where they will end and let them go. GEM started out as writing experiment/test to see if I could write a longer short to mid-length story (failed that one - big time :rolleyes: ), a romantic comedy (did okay there), and take the characters out of their comfort zones (their usual backstory -- familiar careers) and drop them somewhere else and see if they would still work (strangely, they did).

Like everyone else, I'm an FDK junkie (if you couldn't tell), but know I have a tendancy to scare people (readers) away with the topics I choose (my current WIP will be no exception to that rule).

Okay, I'm babbling. See, reading all those interviews and I'm adding in my 2 cents worth. Sorry.

Great job, Mouserocks! Throughly enjoyed your video and interviews. I'll shut up now. wink
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/17/12 09:21 PM
eek Wow! Thanks for all the positive feedback! Glad you all thought I did it justice...
Originally posted by Deadly Chackram:
"My Superman" indeed! Is there really any other?
Not any others worth looking at... or drooling over drool
Originally posted by Olive:
I especially loved the graphics of the blog.
Thank you. blush
Originally posted by Anna B. the Greek:
And I read all of your blog, too!
Wow! That's quite a compliment! Thank you.
Hm, that's weird! Though something that crosses my mind is that these fandoms have (or may have) their own archives.
Surprisingly, I think not. Fanfiction really started out with tv (Star Trek being the first fanzine) and fanfiction.net, being one of the largest fanfiction sites, is probably a good testing site. A lot of shows have their own sites, too (like this one). But yeah, it was definitely unexpected to learn for me, too.
Orignially posted by VriginiaR:
So, are you writing that Superman falls from the sky story or was it just an example?
It's funny. I really did write that into the script for the video, thinking that it would be stupid... and then I really did learn to like it. I'd like to write it, but I've got so much going on right now that I don't know if I'll ever get around to it. Plus I've got too many other stories I'm trying to write right now that are bouncing around in my head... So I think I'm just going to post it as a challenge. I really want to see it written, though.
Okay, I'm babbling. See, reading all those interviews and I'm adding in my 2 cents worth. Sorry.
laugh No apologies, necessary! I like hearing more interviews and tidbits of information!
Great job, Mouserocks! Throughly enjoyed your video and interviews.
Thanks! Glad everybody liked it so much! With some time, I'm hoping to expand it a little more as I go, but we'll see.

And thanks for all the compliments on the video! I really do wish I took more time on it, because I know I could have made it better with time (and I did have the time, I'm not gonna lie, just had other things to attend to). But oh well. Doing it in two days has actually made me realize that I'm not living up to my potential- heck, I could do a lot more if I actually cared. :rolleyes: So I might have to re-prioritize...

Anyways. Thanks ya'll! cool
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/20/12 09:52 PM
Okay, quick update for this. This post is mostly for random class assignments, but since I used some of Anna's interview for the audio piece, I figured it should be posted here, too. smile Thanks, Anna!

Blog post

^follow the soundcloud url for the interview. For some reason, there's an awkward white box where the html code is supposed to be embedded. confused
Posted By: dcarson Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/21/12 04:56 PM
One motive to write fanfiction is to fix something. The number of TOGOM stories I think shows that. A TV series because of multiple writers and usually not having a overall plan so things get made up on the fly and contradictions happen makes for a lot more things that need fixing. So more stories get written.

OTOH there are half a million Harry Potter stories under the book section of FF.Net which includes the movie universe. Glee has less than 70 thousand.

Lots of people hate their own voice when recorded. When you hear it recorded it doesn't have the parts that conduct straight through the bones so it sounds off. To everyone else it sounds normal.
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Interviews on Fanfiction... - 03/22/12 02:52 PM
I AM A ROBOT!!

(Sorry for the bad sound and the bad accent... if it's any consolation, I hardly understand myself in that clip... goofy )
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards