Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: LabRat Downloading videos from You Tube - 06/15/10 07:42 AM
I remember, a long time back, someone posted a program to enable you to download YT vids to your hd. I've long since lost it - anyone know where I can find it again? Or, if there's any other way to do it?

LabRat smile
Posted By: Chaos Re: Downloading videos from You Tube - 06/15/10 08:24 AM
There's tons of different programmes or even just websites capable doing that.

I personally like youtube downloader , even so it doesn't spit out the original flv.
Posted By: Kathryn84 Re: Downloading videos from You Tube - 06/15/10 03:10 PM
If you use firefox, there is an Add-On "downloadhelper".

If I remember correctly you can even decide which format the video has.

Kathryn
Posted By: malu Re: Downloading videos from You Tube - 06/15/10 03:50 PM
If you have Safari, you can open the Activity window while the video is being uploaded, look for the file that has a big size (in the tens or hundreds of MB), and by clicking on the file name, it is downloaded to your computer (at least on Mac OS it does).

malu
Posted By: carolm Re: Downloading videos from You Tube - 06/15/10 07:48 PM
On a related note... I need to DL a vid from Oprah's site: this one .

I tried opening it in Safari and using the activity window and it opened the website instead of downloading the file. Have always had trouble with add ons for FF but...

Any other thoughts?
Posted By: malu Re: Downloading videos from You Tube - 06/15/10 09:04 PM
Yeah, that one seems to have the video hidden with JavaScript or Shockwave Flash (probably on purpose). The tip I gave above works better with pages that have flv or other video type directly embedded. Sorry, Carol.

malu
Posted By: Saori Fujiwara Re: Downloading videos from You Tube - 06/15/10 09:29 PM
you could try MediaConverter.org -- they have a cap of 5 a day, but it's fool-proof. laugh
Posted By: carolm Re: Downloading videos from You Tube - 06/15/10 10:24 PM
Nope doesn't work.

Think you've got it Malu.

DH needs it for work and their internet is spotty at best at the moment. Hoping he can stream it tomorrow or get ahold of the Oprah folks and get a copy for future use.
Posted By: Ultra Woman Re: Downloading videos from You Tube - 06/16/10 05:39 AM
You can try Orbit downloader . It has the Grab++ resource that can save streaming media. I've always been able to download any video with this resource.

Andreia
Posted By: carolm Re: Downloading videos from You Tube - 06/16/10 06:56 AM
I tried GrabPro with Orbit but not Grab++. Will look at it...
Posted By: LabRat Re: Downloading videos from You Tube - 06/16/10 07:29 AM
Thanks, everyone! I should really have thought to ask before - it's been frustrating me for quite some time not being able to do this. laugh

LabRat smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards