Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Out of Pocket - 10/24/08 04:58 PM
My wife is having a biventricular pacemaker with built-in automatic defibrillator installed on Monday, so I'm going to be away from the boards for a few days. (I told her she was getting an upgrade and she laughed. Then she gave me a 'look.')

The doctor seems to think this is a fairly routine procedure, but I've come to realize that a routine procedure is something done on someone else's wife. I'm going to be at home all next week to take care of her, but I'll also be working online for three days, so my board access will be spotty at best. But I will post here to let y'all know how she's doing when I can.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Our 17-year-old daughter (youngest) just got her driver's license today, so she'll be flying solo to school next week. Oh, well, what's one more source of stress?
Posted By: Zoar3 Re: Out of Pocket - 10/24/08 06:32 PM
All good, healthy and speedy recovery wishes for your wife, Terry. On a lighter note, for some reason all this time I thought, or more correctly assumed you were female-guess not! blush

Aw, hug, and I'm sure your daughter will be fine. I remember soon after I got my license, how my Dad was adamant at first that there was no way in well heck that I was going to drive to school, which was probably a half hour so away by streets as opposed to freeway which for sure was a big no way! He was all for my sticking to the bus. It was my Grandma, who convinced him to lighten up and give me a chance. Everything went fine.

Again best to your wife and you take care yourself.

Mona
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Out of Pocket - 10/24/08 07:24 PM
You, your wife, your doctor & their assistants and your daughter have been prayed for.

James
Posted By: Nan Re: Out of Pocket - 10/24/08 08:44 PM
You have my prayers and good wishes, Terry. Remember, it may be an unusual thing for you, but the doctors do it all the time. And I'm sure your daughter will exercise due care. Four of my 7 kids are driving at this point, and one is getting ready to take driver's training, and so far (knock on wood) they've survived. My Marine daughter (who is now in CID in North Carolina) managed to skid her SUV into the guard rail of a bridge a couple of years ago, but that was on an icy road, and she and the kids came out fine. That was when she was unused to driving in snow and ice.

I'm going in for some surgical repair next month, myself, and expect to be hors de combat for about 6 weeks following that. Hopefully everything will work out as well. My best wishes to you and your wife.

Nan
Posted By: Shadow Re: Out of Pocket - 10/24/08 08:50 PM
Best wishes for your wife's speedy recovery, Terry. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

God bless,
JD
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Out of Pocket - 10/25/08 01:05 AM
Hope everything goes really well.
Posted By: Mrs. McLeod Re: Out of Pocket - 10/25/08 04:45 AM
Your family will also be in my thoughts and prayers, Terry!

-Camy
Posted By: bobbart Re: Out of Pocket - 10/25/08 11:56 AM
Somehow these two statements don't seem to go together.
biventricular pacemaker with built-in automatic defibrillator installed on Monday
fairly routine procedure
It's wonderful that we live in a time in which advances allow a procedure such as this to take place but it can certainly be overwhelming.

My prayers will be with both you and your wife.

Bob
Posted By: carolm Re: Out of Pocket - 10/25/08 12:27 PM
Terry -

I understand. DS' surgery last year was 'routine' [even though it hadn't been done on an 8lb 3mo old in our area in years - our doc had done it elsewhere before moving here not too long before - isn't God good? He arranged the doc's move so he'd be here for DS? Sorry - tangent wink .] but it still felt anything but routine to us even though we knew several people who'd actually had the same surgery as adults.

You and the whole team will be in our prayers.

[Nan - will you keep us posted too?]

Carol
Posted By: LabRat Re: Out of Pocket - 10/25/08 01:43 PM
Sending all good thoughts your way, Terry and Nan.

LabRat smile
Posted By: kmar Re: Out of Pocket - 10/25/08 02:37 PM
Face it the doctors call so many things routine but when it is happening to someone you love it is and will always be more than routine. If truth be told doctors feel the same way when it is their loved one in question. You and your wife are in my thoughts and prayers Terry.
Posted By: Beth S. Re: Out of Pocket - 10/25/08 02:47 PM
Your family is in my prayers, Terry. As well as those performing the procedure.
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: Out of Pocket - 10/25/08 07:44 PM
Thanks, y'all. Susan (my wife) works for a Christian radio station, and they told her that they will all pause in their work at 1:00 pm on Monday to pray for her.
Posted By: Lisamaree, the Evil Kiwi Re: Out of Pocket - 10/26/08 07:58 PM
I hope it all goes well Terry *fingers crossed*.

I also hope she has a quick recovery...

keep us informed...

*huge hugs*
Posted By: TOC Re: Out of Pocket - 10/26/08 08:11 PM
I hope all goes well, Terry and Nan.

Ann
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Out of Pocket - 10/26/08 09:30 PM
Terry, I hope all goes well for your wife, and that you're able to stay calm and reassuring for her.

Nan, my good wishes for your surgery also! No matter how routine we're told any surgery is - and some non-emergency surgery is obviously less so than others - it's always scary.

BTW, Terry, now that I've read your post I remember that we did indeed have this discussion before, but to me 'out of pocket' still means that you're owed some money! wink

Wendy smile
Posted By: Squirky Re: Out of Pocket - 10/26/08 09:31 PM
I wish you and your wife all the best! I'll be thinking about y'all. smile

(If it makes you feel any better, my classmate just had a pacemaker put in, and she's only 23. She was fine a few days later, and I hope that your wife will be, too!)

Keep the faith!
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: Out of Pocket - 10/28/08 03:31 PM
My thanks to each and every one of you for your kind words, positive messages, and for your prayers. Susan came through the surgery yesterday just fine and she's home today, although she's pretty tired (neither of us is all that young any more). And my daughter took her older sister back home last night, and when she left the apartment parking lot, the car (her mother's car) began making a weird noise and was handling funny. Instead of stopping and calling me to help her, she drove the car about six miles back home on a flat tire, which I had replaced today.

Life is so much fun. But we all face such interesting episodes, so I don't feel singled out. I'm just thankful that Susan's surgery went as well as it did, that the wheel wasn't damaged on the car, and that my daughter has learned a valuable lesson about cars.
Posted By: Zoar3 Re: Out of Pocket - 10/28/08 09:50 PM
Terry, I am so happy to hear all went well with your wife. smile

Nan, best to you next month as well. smile

Mona
Posted By: TOC Re: Out of Pocket - 10/28/08 10:49 PM
I'm glad everything went well, Terry.

Ann
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Out of Pocket - 10/29/08 08:48 AM
Great to hear, Terry. Hope her recovery goes smoothly, too.

PJ
Posted By: Elisabeth Re: Out of Pocket - 10/29/08 07:09 PM
Thanks for the update. If only your wife's work had paused to pray for your daughter's driving. wink

Elisabeth
who once drove home after blowing a tire--Man! What a noise!
Posted By: stephnachia Re: Out of Pocket - 10/30/08 11:04 AM
Glad to hear everything went well Terry! Wishing her a quick recovery!
Posted By: cp33 Re: Out of Pocket - 11/01/08 08:38 PM
Glad everything went well Terry. I hope your new driver is still doing well.
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: Out of Pocket - 11/01/08 11:26 PM
It has been almost a week, and Susan has more energy and better color in her face. Her speech is crisper than before the surgery, too, something I hadn't noticed before. She doesn't want to wear the sling, but I told her she needs to wear it to church tomorrow so the people in our congregation can see who and what they were praying for.

Our new driver is doing very well too. There have been no more incidents and no damage to the vehicle, so we're all smiling here at the moment.

Thanks to all of you once again for your kind words and for your prayers. It means a lot to us to know that people we've never met are taking time out of their lives to ask the Lord for His help in ours.
Posted By: Elisabeth Re: Out of Pocket - 11/09/08 03:28 PM
Just checked in to see if there were any more updates. Still thinking of you in my prayer time.

Elisabeth
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Out of Pocket - 11/09/08 04:17 PM
I'm just now seeing this, Terry, and I'm glad all went well. And I said a little prayer of thanks.

Also, Nan, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Nancy
Posted By: anonpip Re: Out of Pocket - 11/09/08 05:27 PM
I also just saw this thread, and I'm happy to hear all went well with both your wife and your daughter, Terry.

Nan - I hope your surgery goes smoothly as well.
Posted By: RL Re: Out of Pocket - 11/10/08 03:02 PM
Same with me. I hadn't seen this thread until now. I'm glad everyone's doing well. smile
Posted By: ccmalo Re: Out of Pocket - 11/11/08 04:12 AM
me too. I hadn't sween this thread either - good to know everything's well, Terry. smile

c.
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: Out of Pocket - 11/11/08 07:36 AM
Thanks, y'all. Most everything's going well, and with the price of gasoline down a bit (I paid $1.80.9 per gallon the other day) it looks like we'll be able to afford a used car for our daughter to drive so Mom will get hers back. God does take care of His own.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards