Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: carolm Medical Update on DS - 07/29/08 01:19 PM
Many of you remember that I spent nearly half of Nov with DS in the hospital trying to determine why he wasn't gaining weight and then recovering from surgery to fix the valve at the bottom of his esophagus. We thought that was the only problem - and it may still be - but...

Today we went in for his 1yr check up. Developmentally, he looks great. He's doing all the things he's supposed to be doing - pulling up, starting to cruise, crawling like crazy, eating, banging blocks, babbling, etc. - but he's still very small - 13lb 1oz. That's up 6oz in 8 weeks. Not bad, but not great at all.

They're consulting with a much larger children's hospital to see if we need to be consulting with someone else - some of the possibilities mentioned included a geneticist or an endocrinologist. The concern is that he may not be processing what he's taking in properly. We live in a small town and our doc is in the medium sized city nearby but they don't get kids like DS often at all so they're consulting with someone with more experience/expertise before they decide if we still need to be concerned or not.

Now that he's a year, he can have things like peanut butter and eggs and whole milk that are higher fat that what he's been having. We're praying that that's enough to fix the problem. We go back in a month for a weight check.

We'd appreciate any prayers, good thoughts, etc. that anyone wants to send our way.

Thanks smile .
Carol
Posted By: stephnachia Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/29/08 02:17 PM
Carol, you will be in my thoughts & prayers.

<<<hugs>>>
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/29/08 05:25 PM
/sends loads of positive vibes your way.

And some *hugs* too. smile
Posted By: EditorJax Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/29/08 05:26 PM
/me sends positive vibes and hugs, too.
Posted By: Beth S. Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/29/08 06:57 PM
Carol, my prayers are with you and your family, of course. I hope all goes well for you.
Posted By: Shadow Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/29/08 07:02 PM
Definitely good thoughts your way, Carol! Please update us again if there are any new developments.

Hugs and best wishes,
JD
Posted By: cp33 Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/29/08 08:12 PM
Carol your family is in my prayers. Hopefully all with be well with him. Please keep us posted on his progress.
Posted By: Sheila Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/29/08 08:24 PM
Oh, Carol I'm sorry to hear this. I know first hand what its like t have a sick/disabled child. My prayers are with you and your family.

~Sheila
Posted By: carolm Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/29/08 10:34 PM
and now he's got a tummy bug - not good at his size...
Posted By: kmar Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/30/08 02:49 AM
Carol my prayers are with you. Hopefully they will finally get you some real answers as to what is going on with your little boy and that they can then set a true treatment program.
Posted By: Vanda Detroit Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/30/08 03:15 AM
/me is sending good thoughts your way.

I hope everything will be good soon!

*hugs*
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/30/08 07:01 AM
you have our prayers. And I will mention y'all when we are on our mission trip to Texas.

James
Posted By: Nan Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/31/08 01:54 PM
I just saw this, Carol. You and your little boy are in my prayers.

Nan
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/31/08 02:25 PM
/me too.

I hope everything turns out all right and your little one gets well soon.

Michael
Posted By: LabRat Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/31/08 03:26 PM
All best wishes for a speedy recovery for the little guy, Carol. I'll be sending all good thoughts your way.

LabRat smile
Posted By: alcyone Re: Medical Update on DS - 07/31/08 04:16 PM
Same here. Hope he gets well soon.

alcyone
Posted By: bakasi Re: Medical Update on DS - 08/01/08 02:17 AM
I'm sorry to read that your child has still difficulties with gaining weight. I'm almost sure that this was already tested, because it's pretty common, but just in case it wasn't: it might be "celiac disease". this disorder usually starts when you start changing your babies meal from milk to mash. It's sort of an allergy against a certain protein in cereal.

I hope that your baby will get better soon, my thoughts are with you, Carol.
Posted By: TOC Re: Medical Update on DS - 08/01/08 02:50 PM
My thoughts are with you and your little boy too, Carol.

Ann
Posted By: carolm Re: Medical Update on DS - 08/02/08 10:58 PM
DS is still sick frown . He seems to be staying hydrated - which is good, but he's still so obviously not... right. There's been a gastrointestinal bug going around our area [apparently] and nearly everyone here's had it at least a little bit and he just can't afford that. If he's not doing MUCH better by Monday, we'll be going back to the doc. If he gets much worse, we'll be in the ER or urgent care before then.

Normally I'm not too much of a worry wart about this kind of stuff. I mean, I hate throwing up and I don't deal well with it in the best of times and a little stomach bug usually isn't anything to freak out about... but DS... he's so little... And his tummy is swollen half the time and looks odd and he just doesn't have any reserves whatsoever. The kid is literally skin, bones and organs. He can't afford to lose weight or anything like that.

'They' said the bug is running 3-4 days and this was day 4 so hopefully tomorrow will see a turning point...

Carol [who is exhausted and having gotten her ML fix is off to bed]
Posted By: Rona V. Re: Medical Update on DS - 08/03/08 12:35 AM
I'm sorry to hear that your son is still having medical problems, Carol. You, your son, and your family are definitely in my thoughts.
Posted By: Zoar3 Re: Medical Update on DS - 08/03/08 04:50 PM
My good wishes and hug to you as well, Carol.

Mona
Posted By: carolm Re: Medical Update on DS - 08/04/08 09:56 PM
Took DS to the doc today - he's lost 8oz in the last week. Back down to 8lb 9oz.

They said the stomach/intestinal bug could last a few more days. He looks good - not dehydrated or anything but still not well. We go back on Thursday for a weight check.

Thanks again smile .

Carol [who is now having computer problems frown ]
Posted By: carolm Re: Medical Update on DS - 08/05/08 08:14 AM
Tuesday we are going to the Failure to Thrive [or something like that] Clinic in one of the large cities about 3 hours from here.

They could say that there's nothing going on - he's just little, has a fast metabolism, whatever, but it's always possible that there's more to it than that...

Carol
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: Medical Update on DS - 08/05/08 04:27 PM
*hugs* I hope everything turns out OK.

/sends positive vibes
Posted By: cp33 Re: Medical Update on DS - 08/05/08 04:30 PM
Carol, thanks for keeping us posted on your little guy. Still keeping you in my thoughts.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards