Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: MrsMosley Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/28/08 06:04 PM
I discovered Firefly this weekend.

I am in love.

(Especially with Nathan Fillion.)

So - any other fans around here? Specifically, does anybody know of any good fic?
Posted By: Catherine Bruce Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/28/08 06:12 PM
Oooh I LOVE Firefly, and the movie was awesome! Sadly I haven't watched either in over two years... :p (It was one of my daddy's favorite shows laugh )

Sadly I know nothing about Firefly fanfic... I think the only ones I've read was a Farscape crossover and a few vignettes that a friend of mine wrote.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/28/08 07:28 PM
Oh, I'm a huge Firefly fan. I discovered it after the fact, too. Bought the boxset on the basis of seeing two episodes on the SciFi channel.

Have to say that the last time I went looking for fanfic it was to find the quality was poor at best. I don't think I ever did find anything worth reading.

Mind you, that was a fair time back, so things could have improved by now.

LabRat smile
Posted By: shimauma Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/28/08 07:54 PM
HUGE Jayne Cobb (HERO OF CANTON!!) fan HERE!!!! wave My signature line is one of Jayne's from the movie, Serenity.

There is some great fic out there. Check out Fireflyfans.net. I recommend Shieldmaid for her yummy Jayne N-fic, her "Shying Away" trilogy. There are no passwords to read the stories either, you don't even have to register.

here's one of my icons I use online:
[Linked Image]

I've even played the RPG!

If you haven't seen the movie SERENITY yet it is a MUST SEE!!! be prepared for heartache.... mecry

TEEEEEEEEEJ
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/28/08 07:55 PM
Ahhh I love Firefly. *hug*

Like Labrat said... it is hard to find good fanfiction. Sorta pick and choose on that one.

If you find some good ones though I'd love to read them. smile
Posted By: shimauma Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/28/08 09:15 PM
Actually Shieldmaid's "Shying Away" series is up to 5 parts now. Makes me glad because I've really enjoyed it, but I've stayed off the site ever since the RPG group I was with slacked off.

I know some of the fics are kind of amateur, maybe I just got lucky 'cause I like Jayne. But check out this excerpt from part 4

And if he didn’t know better, he’d have believed the praise made her blush a little. “It isn’t anything, really. Just seeing if I recall how to do it. Kaylee, though, she made me these clever stretchers right handy out of something she had--blown valve collars, she said, or some damn thing. And the preacher gave me a needle and colored thread from his sewing kit and rustled up some cloth for practice.” She held up the scrap again and chuckled. “I think this is a piece of his pillowcase.” But then the humor drained right out of her face. “The captain thinks I might be able to get work with a tailor or a seamstress or something, if I can remember how to work a needle.”

Jayne waited for her to go on, but she said nothing more. Instead, she sat silent and still within his arm around her, looking down at her handful of thread flowers. Didn’t take a rutting magistrate to name the sadness that had settled into her face for what it was. Sadness, and fear as well. And Jayne felt the same thing trying to refashion his expression as well so he frowned instead. “It’ll beat the gos se out of humping fuel jockeys for some pissant hwundan like Gustin, I conjure.” The sudden, unbidden image of Shy humping some guy—any guy--for money or pure whimsy made his chest hurt bad, bad enough to threaten him with a right ugly mood. And whether that guy made her weep or sing didn’t enter into it one iota. But he didn’t say any of that.
This author uses Firefly speak to spin a great story and to take someone like Jayne Cobb and make him look like he cares...that's just talent. notworthy

TEEEEEEJ
Posted By: LaurenW Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/28/08 10:59 PM
I just got into Firely too! I was browsing around over on hulu.com and saw the episodes there, free for the watching, so I couldn't resist seeing what all the buzz was about. Another show I got into thanks to hulu -- and could kick myself for not watching while it was still airing -- is Arrested Development. Too funny.

But back to Nathan Fillion... drool
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/29/08 12:43 AM
Been a fan for quite a while - have the series and movie on DVD, played the RPG at a convention, mentioned it in passing in a couple of stories (e.g. I have Clark (or possibly Lois) wearing a Firefly T-shirt to blend in with media fans in California Cousin), but for some reason I've never felt like writing fanfic for it, or had a huge interest in reading Firefly fanfic, and I'm not sure why.

Later - I checked California Cousin and I'm wrong, it's an Incredibles T-shirt for Clark and a Stargate cap for Lois. The reason I got it wrong was that in the first draft it was Firefly, but California Cousin is a Buffy crossover and it occurred to me that without the Buffy TV series Joss Whedon wouldn't have been in a position to sell Firefly to the networks...
Posted By: stephnachia Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/29/08 08:29 AM
It's in my Netflix queue! I've always wanted to watch it cause I love Joss Whedon cause of Buffy! Also Serenity is in my queue cause that's my fave Sci-fi author's (Orson Scott Card) fave Sci-fi movie. I can't wait to watch them!!
Posted By: Saffron Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/30/08 10:22 AM
*raises hand*

Huge fan here but sorry to say I've never found any fan-fic that really did it for me. Great tv series despite it's short (FUX-addled!!)life. Of course the concept was a very hard sell and to be honest, I think Joss's other series at the time suffered because he was splitting his attention between too many projects but still, it's one of the tv highlights of the past few years to me.
Posted By: Tzigone Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 05/02/08 11:44 AM
I love Firefly and I've found some fantastic fic for it. But I read River/Simon (non-incest) fic. Though I like the 'ships, they aren't my primary interest in the show. And I run from any Simon/Jayne or River/Jayne fic, so if that's your cup of tea, I can't help. Also, frequently people mark the story as being about River and Simon and don't put a warning that it's incest instead of a sibling relationship fic, so that can be very annoying.
Posted By: Nautica7mk Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 05/03/08 01:02 PM
I recommend A Windsor's Pirate Children\'s series. Wonderfully written stories of Mal and Inara that later centers around their two children.

There's also Stay that I found to be extremely well-written.

Lastly, anything HawkMoth writes is worth reading. Since you're a Mal fan, you should read his story " Bloodlines ." It's a story about where Malcolm Reynold's came from.
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 05/03/08 04:03 PM
I forgot to say that I have a spare copy of the complete Firefly DVD collection - the region 2 British edition, so no use for anyone in the US, but if anyone in the UK / Europe wants it before I get round to listing it on eBay please let me know. It's used but in good condition, complete but lacking the outer sleeve around the case. I bought it thinking that the copy I had was American (region 1), but it turns out I was wrong.

Basically, I'll be happy to get what I paid for it plus postage, so say nine pounds to someone in the UK, ten pounds for Europe.
Posted By: L Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 05/03/08 09:34 PM
love all things whedon
Posted By: Tzigone Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 05/04/08 08:41 PM
Anyone else like Firefly vids - I love vids.

Here are a few recs of ones I like (none shippy, though I do like some shippy vids). I'd love it if anyone else has as recs. Humor or not. Based on any character. Or ensemble. Or Simon/Kaylee, or Zoe/Wash or Mal/Inara or Mal/Serenity, or sibling Simon & River. 'Ships aren't my favorite genre for this show, but if the vid/fic is good, I'll look.

Inara Vid to Patty Griffin\'s Mary

Blaze of Glory (Ensemble)

Time (River)

River of Confusion (River)
Posted By: BJ Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 06/28/09 10:50 AM
I discovered the series recently when my brother invited me to watch "Serenity" and then had to explain a bit of the backstory. I'm now watching "Firefly" (about 1/2 way through the series) and am loving it.

BTW, for those DW/Firefly fans, I found a good crossover story by lurking in LJ. It's long, but very well done. Stars the 10th Doctor post Doomsday.

A Man with No Name by Frostfyre
Posted By: stephnachia Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 06/28/09 10:59 AM
Firefly and Serenity are related? I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan so I have Firefly in my queue but I just watched Serenity a month or so ago and didn't realize the show and the movie are related. Now I really need to watch Firefly and then rewatch Serenity.
Posted By: Artemis Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 06/28/09 11:54 AM
Serenity was the movie J.W. made after Firefly was canceled by the network.
cool
Artemis
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 06/28/09 01:52 PM
Totally Firefly/Serenity (or rather, ANY Joss show/movie) fan here!

I've found a lot of fanfic for it at www.fireflyfans.net, but you have to really look hard for the good stuff. I've also found some gems at fanfiction.net . . . I especially recommend anything by Peptuck ("Forward" is especially good) or by mal4prez (the "Back Stories" series, which starts with "The Fish Job" is really good).

I've also written a few Firefly vignettes myself, and those can be found at either fireflyfans.net or at my profile on FF.net.
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 06/28/09 02:44 PM
Belatedly remember to post a link to one of my favourite fanfics - it's an AU version of Firefly set in the Buffy universe, in which Mal is the sheriff and Inara the mayor of a small town called Serenity, Nevada, which suddenly aquires some supernatural problems. All of the other main Firefly characters are in there too. Considering how strange the idea is it works surprisingly well.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4552093/1/Serenity_Nevada
Posted By: Karen Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 06/28/09 04:13 PM
My coworker loved Serenity, but hadn't seen Firefly at all. I lent him the dvds, and I had to keep reminding him, for some odd reason, that the series came BEFORE the movie. The movie did not come first. laugh
Posted By: cookiesmom Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 06/30/09 06:12 PM
Thanks to all who posted links to Firefly fanfic. I didn't get into it until after the series went off the air. We now have the DVDs and watch them every so often but I've never read any the fanfic. I asked my daughter about it and she said it follows Sturgeon's Law (90% of everything is cr_p) but that a good place to start is www.browncoats.com.
Posted By: BJ Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 07/31/09 07:49 AM
Thanks for the browncoats link, Cookiesmom. I've been exploring and enjoying the recommended stories.

I've another DW/Firefly crossover recommendation. Out of Joint by Honorh. I'd read it before, but had forgotten author and title until I stumbled across it again. Features the Serenity crew before Book and Inara leave and the 9th Doctor, Captain Jack and Rose.
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 07/31/09 08:09 AM
HonorH is a fantastic writer, one of my favourites. I haven't read Out Of Joint as I dislike crossovers, but her DW fic is excellent and very much in character, so I'd expect no less from that fic. It was very popular in DW fandom.

Another DW author, who has also written in Harry Potter fandom, is currently writing a Firefly/DW crossover. It's still a WIP, with I think one chapter posted, and in terms of DW it's set after the end of S4 (the episode Journey's End) and after Torchwood's Children of Earth mini-series. You'll find Aibhinn's Ulysses on the DW fic archive. Aibhinn is another of my favourite DW writers, so I have no doubt that this story will be good.

Wendy smile
Posted By: Shallowford Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 02/09/16 10:25 AM
Watched the series and movie as a result of a Stargate swap. Yep. Another great show cancelled.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 02/09/16 02:25 PM
Firefly had so much potential. It's a shame the network showed the original episodes out of order and the show was pre-empted several times. It was hard to find it. The story was just starting to get really interesting when it was cancelled.

Joan
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 02/10/16 07:06 AM
I've been meaning to watch it again, since it's one Netflix's Instant List, but I never have. I did enjoy it and was disappointed that it got canceled while other mindless drivel remained. I didn't realize that it had been shown in the wrong order.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 02/10/16 05:12 PM
Some of the episodes were never even aired originally.
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 03/29/16 10:39 PM
I love Firefly! It's one of my go-to shows for when I'm sick (also Lois and Clark and Castle... Nathan Fillion might be the reason for two of those drool ) For whatever reason though, I never got into Firefly fanfiction (unlike the other two). I'd definitely give some a read though if anybody's got recommendations. smile
Posted By: Lady Loisette Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/08/16 03:46 AM
I didn't watch the show when it originally aired, but I've seen it since. I've also seen the movie Serenity. And when one of my cousins upgraded to Blu-Ray he gave me his old DVD set of the show. So I can watch an episode whenever I want. smile

That show had a lot of great characters, but River has to be my favorite.

The closest I ever got to fanfiction for the show is a series of stories I wrote for Chuck that are Firefly themed and reference the show.
Posted By: Shallowford Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/08/16 09:32 AM
Political issues aside--Does anyone else think that Ted Cruz looks like he could be related to Nathan Fillion?
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 04/09/16 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Shallowford
Political issues aside--Does anyone else think that Ted Cruz looks like he could be related to Nathan Fillion?
No. Not in the least.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Any Firefly fans around here? - 05/28/16 06:19 AM
Just found this thread, and I am a Firefly fan....
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards