Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: stopquitdont Searching for locals! - 09/24/07 04:22 PM
Everyone (and I mean everyone!),

I'm in need of a little assistance. I homeschool my gang (three boys now), and we're about to embark on a year long geography/cultural project. My vision is for them to learn a little about the world and the people in it. And I thought what better way than from those who live there!

What I need from you is information! I know there might be times when our featured continent/country might be void of fellow Folc's, but any time there does happen to be someone who lives in the country we're studying, I would appreciate you volunteering some info. I was thinking of creating an essay type questionaire that you could answer. I'd also like it if you could post pictures of your hometown/city/family-anything that would be interesting to someone discovering your culture first hand. Links to interesting websites would be great- anything at all you might think would define your culture (and its differences to the southern US).

So, what do you say? Anyone game? I've already had one fellow Folc send me tons of stuff on Colorado for when we start our US study. But since we decided to start with Ancient history, we'll follow along that line with modern geographical history as well.

Our first quest sent us to Ancient Egypt. Even if you're not from Egypt, Africa would do. Or, if you've ever visited, we'll settle for a story. We'll also settle for any interesting/odd cultural differences you might know of. Anything! (We're not picky. We just thought it would be much funner to study places with the people who actually live there or have been there!)

SQD (who says thank you in advance to anyone brave enough to step forward to help out- and my sons appreciate it, too)
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Searching for locals! - 09/24/07 06:37 PM
Hey there, SQD,

I can't help you with Egypt, I'm afraid, but this is a neat idea you have there! I'd like to help you out if you decide to study Greece at some point laugh

See ya,
AnnaBtG.
Posted By: Ultra Woman Re: Searching for locals! - 09/24/07 06:51 PM
Great idea, Squid. thumbsup If you need something from Brazil at some time, let me know. I'd be glad to help. smile

Andreia
Posted By: anagram Re: Searching for locals! - 09/24/07 07:43 PM
Happy to help... if/when you need anything on Australia, let me know smile
Posted By: kmar Re: Searching for locals! - 09/24/07 08:05 PM
When you get to the US - Delaware and Maryland let me know. I live 2 blocks from the state line at the shore. We still have coast watch towers from War World II standing in Delaware. I have picture of them and from the top of them. Plus we have a life saving museum etc.
Posted By: SuperRoo Re: Searching for locals! - 09/24/07 08:29 PM
I live in Manitoba....it's kinda boring, but I majored in geography in University so I know a lot of the physical history of the region. If I pull out my books I could do a brief cultural history. Or if you just want something modern, I can do that too.

The offer is open to you.

If you want me to help, please PM me. It's the best way to get my attention smile I often forget to view my hotmail for weeks at a time. blush
Posted By: bakasi Re: Searching for locals! - 09/25/07 01:12 AM
If you ever want to have information on Germany, don't be shy to ask. I've had extensive history classes at school and we learned a lot about the political developement in the 1920ies and early 1930ies that ultimately let to the catastrophic Nazi regime. Of course I also know about the more recent Germany wink
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: Searching for locals! - 09/25/07 07:55 AM
I'm from Africa, although about as far away from Egypt as you can get. If you're interested in South Africa, I'll do my best to help you. We're at least as politically interesting as Germany. frown And don't get me started on Zimbabwe. grumble

Good luck finding other FoLCs from Africa. I've never come across any.

(I know my profile says from UK - been living here for the last 3 years.)
Posted By: JoMurf Re: Searching for locals! - 09/25/07 09:19 AM
I'd be happy to help out for anything Iowa/Illinois/mid-west US related!

I did live in Portugal and Guatemala for a summer apiece and may be able to rummage up some of my photos/souvenirs for those as well!

Jo
Posted By: stopquitdont Re: Searching for locals! - 09/25/07 01:31 PM
This is great! I knew I could count on my fellow Folc's! And when our project is said and done, I'll list exactly how many localities we represent. Thanks everyone.

SQD
Posted By: stephnachia Re: Searching for locals! - 09/25/07 01:40 PM
Local Texan here, born n' raised! Let me know if you need any info!
Posted By: shimauma Re: Searching for locals! - 09/25/07 07:03 PM
I can give you info about Tennessee, Arizona, Minnesota and Upstate New York. I once lived in a town where the writer of our National Anthem is buried. I have a ton of little factoids about most states I've lived in stored in my brain pan.
Posted By: groobie Re: Searching for locals! - 09/25/07 11:29 PM
I'm in Southern California and would be happy to help. smile
Posted By: Jenni Debb Re: Searching for locals! - 09/27/07 01:32 AM
Hi,

You already know you'll have help from Scotland. smile

Yours Jenni
Posted By: Vanda Detroit Re: Searching for locals! - 09/27/07 02:37 AM
I live in Austria. If you need anything, write me and I'm trying to help smile
Posted By: stopquitdont Re: Searching for locals! - 09/27/07 05:01 AM
Wow! This study is going to be amazing!

SQD (who has to write down all these things so that I'll know who to ask for what)
Posted By: Trinity Re: Searching for locals! - 09/27/07 08:31 AM
I'm from Chicago. You wanna know about Prohibition and Al Capone? I'm your gal. wink

Also, last year I wrote a huge paper on military dictatorship in Uganda, if that helps at all. huh My cousin-in-law is from Uganda as well.

Oh! And there's a professor at my university from Nigeria!

Also, I'm not sure exactly what kind of cultural things you're looking at, but I should also mention that I'm a sociology major and this past summer I took a class where we went down to Memphis, TN and the Mississippi Delta (the poorest part of the United States) to do a cultural study on poverty and the blues/gospel culture.
Posted By: Elisabeth Re: Searching for locals! - 09/30/07 02:15 PM
Will you share your results with other homeschoolers? (We have three girls in 2nd, Kindergarten and pre-school.)

Elisabeth
Posted By: Simona Re: Searching for locals! - 10/01/07 09:08 AM
As you know, I'm from Italy, so when you want to know about my country in general or cities near my town (Pisa and Firenze for example) ask me everything! smile

Simona smile
Posted By: Sue S. Re: Searching for locals! - 10/01/07 10:31 AM
I can serve up the Intermountain West - I've lived in California, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. Also West Virginia and Pennsylvania. And Ireland. <g> I've been there and my office mate was born and raised there. He's always telling me stories and is also perfectly willing to answer questions.
Posted By: EditorJax Re: Searching for locals! - 10/01/07 10:33 AM
I can help! I'm in the Northwest (Washington) and I'm also very knowledgable about Colorado and Hawaii.
Posted By: madmommy59 Re: Searching for locals! - 10/01/07 02:55 PM
If you cover Alaska, I'm ready to help.
Posted By: Carolyn Re: Searching for locals! - 10/01/07 05:15 PM
I'm from Peru. I live in Lima (capital) so if you need help, count me in.

Carolyn smile
Posted By: stopquitdont Re: Searching for locals! - 10/05/07 05:33 PM
Sorry it's been so long since I've visited this thread. More health problems plaguing our little family...

We're still going to do this study. I thought with so many responses, I could come up with an overall questionaire for everyone. (I could always print out all the answers and store them away until we study that region.) Anyway, I'm interested in stuff that you can't get from a text book. Sites, smells, people... all the little quirks that make the place unique or not so unique. I also would like to see favorite pictures or anything else that you feel would be something you couldn't learn from a textbook.

I promise I'll the questionaire together. Until then, if anyone has any suggestions/ideas, please feel free to send them along!

Thanks again for the wonderful responses.

SQD
Posted By: princessanna Re: Searching for locals! - 10/05/07 06:10 PM
When you get that questionnaire ready, I'd be happy to help with New Zealand. laugh

~Anna.
Posted By: Kathryn84 Re: Searching for locals! - 10/06/07 03:30 AM
If you need information on Germany I'll be glad to help.
Just say what you need. smile
Posted By: lovesuper97 Re: Searching for locals! - 10/08/07 10:45 AM
I from texas right here in houston. need any help give me an holla laugh
Posted By: judy Re: Searching for locals! - 10/11/07 05:21 PM
I have family in Hungary, Holland and Brazil and whenever we get together to better understand our daily lives we ask questions like- how many hours do you work to pay rent, buy meat, bread, milk, wine, GAS and automobiles. It gives us an understanding of the local economy. I'll never forget the folks in Hungary asking how many chickens we had at home in NJ... We told them that they were in the grocery store in neat packages.
Posted By: metwin1 Re: Searching for locals! - 10/12/07 07:54 AM
I haven't seen any representatives from East Asia/South East Asia yet. smile I'm from Singapore, and I'd be happy to help too.

twins
metwin1
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Searching for locals! - 10/12/07 04:22 PM
Thought I'd commented earlier but I must have missed - I'm in London, if you need any information from this neck of the woods, but right now I'm up to my eyes in work so don't expect fast replies.
Posted By: Crazy_Babe Re: Searching for locals! - 10/12/07 09:43 PM
If you need anything about modern and ancient history in general I'd be glad to help! I'd also be glad to help if you are thinking of teaching them about WWII.
Posted By: Superdiva Re: Searching for locals! - 10/16/07 12:47 AM
Although I live in California, I am Indian. I have visited India many times in my life and in fact, I will be there again in December. I would be more than happy to share some customs and pictures with you. I am also a history major, and am doing a lot of research on ancient, modern, present day South Asia. Feel free to let me know if you want to know more or see some pictures.
Posted By: woody Re: Searching for locals! - 10/16/07 01:03 AM
I'm from Washington (Hey, EditorJax) but I'm a U.S. History buff, know World Geography pretty well, have an uncle who's a missionary in Africa that I could probably ask questions of, and an aunt who just live three years in Thailand. Mozambique I know the most about right now (my uncle's there). If you need any practically useless trivia, I have plenty.
Posted By: Xanabee Re: Searching for locals! - 10/17/07 04:00 PM
I'd be happy to give you information about the Netherlands, Robin. smile

Also, this website could be very helpful. There are lots of personal accounts of life in the city in there. Just check it out. Someday I'll submit a tale of mine, I think it's a very cool site.

Here's the url: City Stories

Ursie
Posted By: stopquitdont Re: Searching for locals! - 10/19/07 07:28 AM
Thanks everybody who's responded. This will be wonderful in filling in our map! I'm going to post the questionaire in a separate thread. Hopefully, it'll be up in a day or two. (Been really swamped with RL!)

Thanks and look for the other post!
SQD
Posted By: TOC Re: Searching for locals! - 10/19/07 08:14 AM
Certainly I could give you some facts about Sweden if you are interested, Squid!

Ann
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: Searching for locals! - 11/05/07 03:38 PM
So where's this questionnaire, SQD? I need a project. goofy
A couple of days has turned into a few weeks. Or did I miss it somewhere else?
Posted By: Zoar3 Re: Searching for locals! - 11/05/07 03:41 PM
I'll help if I can, too.

Mona
Posted By: smileyd Re: Searching for locals! - 11/05/07 04:28 PM
Hey, I'm in Nova Scotia. I'll help out too if you study my region. good luck!
Posted By: The Little Tornado Re: Searching for locals! - 11/16/07 12:33 AM
I want to help too!!! *jumps up and down*

I am from Sri Lanka but I live in Australia at the moment and I have lived in Ohio as well and I am also ..... a GEOGRAPHY major!

So I can help you out with anything if you need it.

Also Lady Mirth is also from Sri Lanka so you can talk to her as well.

Cheers, The Little Tornado.
Posted By: FraNciScA Re: Searching for locals! - 12/05/07 07:27 PM
I would love to help too! I'm from Chile, but I've been in Egypt, France and Argentina so I've got a few anectdotes to share.

Francisca.
Posted By: Mad Dog Lane Re: Searching for locals! - 12/10/07 04:20 AM
Hi SQD!!

Long time no see!!

Ask me away about egypt. Have been there 3 times and married to a true Egyptian. I am waiting for your e-mail.

Love you loads.

Erica.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Searching for locals! - 12/11/07 03:11 AM
Erica!!!! How wonderful to see you back! We've missed you. dance

LabRat smile
Posted By: Mad Dog Lane Re: Searching for locals! - 12/11/07 09:34 AM
Indeed Indeed Long time. blush

I am sorry I have been away for so long. London has been a handful these days, but everything is fine.

Egypt is also part of my quaterly route as I visit my in-laws periodically.

I am looking forward to catching up with everything and everyone as well.

Mostly important a few incoming b-days to celebrate. wink

SQD - I have a few pictures if you would like to have a look at My Photos from Egypt

They are pictures from Cairo and Alexandria.

Hope you are all well.

I promise I will visit the boards more often.

MDL. wave
Posted By: IreneD Re: Searching for locals! - 12/11/07 06:43 PM
I'm happy to talk about Ontario, Canada.

Irene smile
Posted By: HatMan Re: Searching for locals! - 12/11/07 06:49 PM
I believe the requested assistance is to fill out this questionnaire .

If that's all there is to it, SQD, you might want to edit your original post to let people know.

(Sorry I haven't chipped in. But (a) NJ is boring (b) I'm not good with questionnaires lately.)
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards