Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: angelic_editor *New* New Krypton? - 12/01/06 11:01 PM
So I'm currently filling in as a news assistant on the business desk at my paper, and it involves a couple of tedious tasks.

Namely, the weekly list of bankruptcies across the state. Who (or what business) has filed for Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12 or Chapter 13. File number, name, address and town.

This is usually more than a little mind-numbing.

Until yesterday.

Because someone filed for Chapter 7 in Krypton.

As in, Kentucky.

rotflol

I laughed for at least five minutes.

No, really: Krypton, Ky.
Posted By: TOC Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/02/06 06:25 AM
Oh, wow, Crystal! rotflol

I have to say that there were other names to laugh at on that map, however. Like Happy, Busy and Bonnyman. And what about places called Jeff, Emmalena and Carrie? laugh

So funny!

Ann
Posted By: DSDragon Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/02/06 10:47 AM
Oh, don't forget, Intercourse, PA!
Posted By: angelic_editor Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/02/06 12:02 PM
Hah! Niiiiice. Kentucky also has a Monkey's Eyebrow.
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/02/06 12:46 PM
In Mississippi (my home state), we have lots of towns with interesting names. My favorite is Hushpuckena, which vaguely sounds like a bad word. smile
Posted By: woody Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/02/06 03:16 PM
And wouldn't we all want to live in Moose Droppings , Alaska
Posted By: Classicalla Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/02/06 04:21 PM
Haha... Don't forget Metropolis. I think it's in Illinois.
Posted By: Karen Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/03/06 06:59 AM
Sure is, right on the Ohio River, not too far from Paducah. (Which is a nice Indian name in itself)
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/03/06 07:05 AM
Paducah - didn't that mean something like "land that shakes" or something, referring to recurring earthquakes in that area?
Posted By: Karen Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/03/06 06:30 PM
It was actually named after Chief Paduke, according to wiki . I don't think they had frequent earthquakes... while it's fairly close to the New Madrid seismic zone, they don't have very frequent earthquakes. At least, I never felt one in the 8 years I lived in the region.
Posted By: Mister Data Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/05/06 02:29 PM
My personal favorite is from my home state.

What Cheer, IA, in Keokuk county.

Rumor has it that way back when the town was first being founded, they got all the people together to put forward names. An older gentleman was late coming to the meeting. Names were being called out as he was shown a chair up front. Being hard of hearing and poor eye sight, he bellowed at the attendant, "WHAT CHAIR!" which sounded like 'cheer'. The town had been going through hard times and everyone liked the What Cheer name.

Try these sites.

Weird Town Names and Origins

Strange City Names

Funny Town Names, Rude Town Names, Weird Place Names around the world

And even more

Weird Town Names - Google Search
Posted By: C_A Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/05/06 02:37 PM
Imagine moving from Krypton, KY, to Metropolis, IL, and the comments you'd keep getting from people. goofy
Posted By: Classicalla Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/05/06 06:47 PM
It was actually named after Chief Paduke, according to wiki . I don't think they had frequent earthquakes... while it's fairly close to the New Madrid seismic zone, they don't have very frequent earthquakes. At least, I never felt one in the 8 years I lived in the region.
You must not been around the time I remember it quaking. I think it was in the early 80's. It was felt at least all the way to northeastern Kentucky. Having never felt an earthquake before, I thought my car was acting up. I didn't know til later that it was an earthquake.
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/06/06 03:00 AM
The only earthquake that happened to grace our region several years back took place in the middle of the night. Of course, I was the only one in the family who has slept through it.
Posted By: angelic_editor Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/06/06 11:18 AM
Eep! Can't say that I've ever felt an earthquake in Lexington or in my hometown in south-central Kentucky. Have survived a couple of tornadoes, though.

My older sister, who grew up in California, moved back here a few years ago and is absolutely *terrified* of tornadoes. She always says she'd much rather deal with an earthquake. (Which stuns me every time. I mean, really? Of the two, at least tornadoes are kind of concentrated ... but, then again, she bases her fear of tornadoes on Twister.)
Posted By: LabRat Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/06/06 11:34 AM
C_A:

[Linked Image]

on your avatar. I'd vote for them! laugh

LabRat smile
Posted By: C_A Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/07/06 02:40 PM
I'd vote for them!
thumbsup
Posted By: rivka Re: *New* New Krypton? - 12/08/06 12:42 PM
Originally posted by angelic_editor:
My older sister, who grew up in California, moved back here a few years ago and is absolutely *terrified* of tornadoes. She always says she'd much rather deal with an earthquake.
I'm with her. Earthquakes almost never kill anyone, and the big ones come every decade or so. Tornadoes kill people every year.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards