Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: stopquitdont Quick Q&A!!!! - 09/11/03 04:53 AM
Hey,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how many kb=mb=bytes... or however it works. I sure would appreciate it. Thanks a ton!
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Quick Q&A!!!! - 09/11/03 05:00 AM
kb stands for kilobytes, which means 1000 bytes. Megabytes (Mb) are a million bytes, I think.

Kilo = thousand
Mega = million
Giga = billion

PJ
Posted By: Melisma Re: Quick Q&A!!!! - 09/11/03 05:09 AM
Actually, there are just over 1000 bytes in a kilobyte - 1024 to be exact. And 1024 KB to a megabyte, and 1024 MEG to a gigabyte, etc. I remember having to figure that out from trying to get the max amount of fic on a floppy that I could, back before I had a computer of my own smile And if I recall the explanation for the odd number, it's because there are 8 bits to a byte, or something like that. I'm sure the resident computer-heads (said with the greatest affection and respect, BTW) can tell us more...

Melisma (sliding back under her Rock to enjoy the rest of her Chuseok vacation as much as possible after her wallet was stolen two hours before everything closed down for the holiday :p )
Posted By: stopquitdont Re: Quick Q&A!!!! - 09/11/03 05:38 AM
Hey guys, I really appreciate this... and the fast response, WOW! smile1

SQD (who wishes she'd have known about her computer's CD burning capabilities before a floppy containing six stories died on her cat )
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards