Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: ChiefPam Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 08:05 AM
Well, here it is... hope you guys enjoyed my little romp. smile

PJ
Posted By: Joy Moony Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 08:33 AM
Yay!!!

I just *LOVED* this story, especially how L&C make the intelligent choices in the circumstances,( which kept them in character but made me not want to smack them for idiocy ).

I can't wait for "J is for...", your writing is a treat to read.
Posted By: IreneD Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 08:36 AM
*Happy, happy sigh*

Well done, Pam. This wasn't just a little romp. It was a fun, WAFFy treasure!

I'm not sure that this needs a sequel, but I'd welcome one with open arms!

Irene
Posted By: MissyG Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 08:47 AM
Wonderful story, Pam!

Lovely revelation smile No fuss, no muss!!!

Their preparations for the morning brunch was adorable between Clark trying to figure out what to bring her and Lois fussing over clothes and such...

Great story!

Missy
Posted By: Laurach Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 09:07 AM
Aw good job Pam I think I missed the first part though. Is there a TOC for this? Laura
*Big WAFFy sigh*

Well, its about dang time! <g> Absolutely wonderful! I agree with the general opinion... Yay sequel!

I loved how Clark was fussing over the flowers. I would love to see that on the screen. LOL I can picture it in my head too.

You handled the A-Plot of IGACOY perfectly. It was different enough not to be just a rewrite of the show but it still kept the basic plot line. And of course all the B-Plot stuff was fantastic. Keep writing!

Caroline
Posted By: Tank Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 10:05 AM
Mmmmm, did you forget something, Pam? Like the WHAM!

I'm surprized at you. This flowed along in its sweet and uncomplicated way all the way to its waffy ending. I'd call that VERY predictable. Shame on you.

Good story, though, if you're into those sweet waffy stories with all that yucky stuff in them. wink

Tank (who hopes that the gentle writers aren't forgetting the advantages that whams can give to a story)
Posted By: Shadow Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 11:52 AM
Good story, though, if you're into those sweet waffy stories with all that yucky stuff in them.
I am, I am! Who needs all that messy WHAM stuff? *ducks and runs*

Brunch really was adorable. I cannot believe Clark pulled those flowers out of the dumpster. That was really funny.

hyper YAY hyper
Jen
Posted By: Gabriele Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 11:52 AM
Marvelous tale. I simply adored it. It was so funny sometimes, and Lois and Clark acted and thought just right.

I especially liked the revelation and how calmly Lois took it: she was kind of pleased with herself about figuring out herself. And Clark was relieved that Lois knew! Wow!

I also liked how Clark wants Lois treat him as a partner and how he compliments her for her work. What a quy!
Posted By: stopquitdont Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 12:17 PM
Pam,

I haven't commented on each part, but I enjoyed this story a lot. Very well done!

I also went back and read HIFH; so I'll tell you that enjoyed that again, too. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: RetroRose Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 12:27 PM
Wow Pam, terrific fic!!! smile1 )
Posted By: Melisa Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 12:34 PM
Wow that was terrific. I really enjoyed this story. clap

Melisa
Hazzah! smile Pam, you always fix everything so logically and Lois never forgets that she's brilliant, even when she's insecure wink . I just adore that in a heroine.

Another marvelous tale....you should do more of them...this instant. thumbsup

Sherry
I loved this story!!! The part where Clark is thinking about buying her flowers and then throwing them away and then getting them back from the dumpster is so cute!

She didn't quite know who he was anymore, but she was looking forward to finding out.
Awww! That is so sweet. She isn't angry about finding out that he's Superman, and she is accepting it in stride. I always like revelations where Lois isn't mad laugh .

mean, we've slept together, broken up, kissed, *and* gotten back together, but did you ever buy me dinner? Noooo..."
LOL!!! laugh

I certainly wouldn't complain if there was another sequel wink .

- Alicia smile
Posted By: Nan Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 01:42 PM
Nice, waffy and above all, the two of them used their heads! I always prefer my heroes to be intelligent, and better, to actually show it!

Nan
Posted By: Supes1fan Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 01:50 PM
Awww..I loved it!

Nice story..really a great twist on a fun episode.

Can't wait for "J"! wink

~Liz
Posted By: Helga Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 02:09 PM
Yay Pam!

That was fabulous!

I'm with the others on nice intellegent choices... smile

And I loved the revelation.

Thank you

Helga
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 02:25 PM
Hi,

Geat story. smile1
Can't wait for "J"!
Me neither!!
But why did you start from the "H", and not the "A"? thumbsup
See you soon.
AnnaBtG.
Posted By: BarbP Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/05/03 05:33 PM
Pam,

I, too, loved the intelligence that two great reporters leant to their relationship. Great adaptation of the episode--all the parts there but in a much more logical and wonderfully waffy way.

Barb.
Posted By: rivka Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/06/03 02:21 AM
Well, Pam, you know I love this story. notworthy

And ONLY a guy would fish the flowers back out! wink

Ooh, I like Anna's idea. Prequels! laugh
Posted By: gerry Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/06/03 08:03 AM
Great little story, Pam. Loved the way Lois realized Clark was Superman and just told him to fly them out of the building. (Okay that was Part 4, but I'm still catching up!)

And Pam, I think we actually have more in common in the way we look at our Lois and Clarks than you think. Like others, I appreciated their intelligent approach to each other.

gerry
Posted By: Meni Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/06/03 01:43 PM
Hey Pam...

I love this story wave
Posted By: klairl Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/06/03 01:47 PM
Great story, Pam; I've said a lot about this story, one way and another, but reading it again on the Boards inspires another burst of enthusiasm. If you've heard it before, you'll just have to take it again. :p

Condensed List of ChiefPam's Lois&Clark and Literary Virtues drool

6. You always make a better story in your rewrites of episodes.

42. You make a Waff Waffier by means of an Aplot-a real achievement.

271. You have great insights and deliver them with a subtle force, like a touché not immediately felt, but lethal all the same.

Others have mentioned some of these, but here again are some of great insights:
When Lois was scared, she was quite capable of believing all sorts of things without regard for such mundane matters as evidence.

She'd certainly grabbed his attention when she'd asked if he hadn't liked the kiss. It wasn't just the question, but also the way she'd managed to combine sensual smugness with an unholy amusement.

Lois blinked. It had been strange, talking to Clark, knowing he was Superman. Talking to Superman, knowing he was Clark, was positively surreal.

The newsroom was fairly deserted, with no one paying attention, so it didn't take long to type up his report of the night's excitement. It seemed a little on the dull side, but he fixed that by giving himself an exclusive Superman quote.
575. You can turn a phrase:
And then everything fell into place, and out of all recognition.

"Oh, right. Um, hi, Superman. Can we go now?"
789. You make repetition a delight that illumines.
(Clark)&#8230;work himself into a nervous wreck./ Lois was a nervous wreck

Clark "I'm only back-up, remember?"/Lois "You're darned right. Now get back out there!" She pushed him back out...
900. Your revelation came like raindrops in a pool.

A single large crystalline drop comes before the shower:
There was something different, though, something about his eyes... oh, of course; the last time he'd looked at her like that, he hadn't been wearing his glasses. Really, it was surprising how much the lack of them changed the look of his face. His hair had been tumbled forward, and he'd looked so serious, so intent... she sighed happily. She hadn't ever believed she could find someone who'd look at her like that, as if she were the most precious thing in the world.
How exquisite that Lois sees that he loves her before she sees what that face without glasses means!

Tiny drops come quickly until the drops become a wave Pam and her Lois ride it to land.
It had been hard for her to choose between Clark and Superman, but she had done so, and she was happy with her choice. She didn't need wild fantasies about Clark leading some sort of double life... though she knew he was hiding some kind of big secret...

Feeling shaky, she looked up at Clark. He was looking steadily toward the pile of crates between them and Toni. With his glasses halfway down his nose. What sort of person sees better without glasses?
1003. After the best dream opening, you have the best awake ending:
Then rational thought slipped away, as Lois surrendered to the pleasure of being cherished.
thanks for a great story,
claire
Posted By: TriciaW Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/06/03 06:24 PM
Pam

WOW! I've just read the last two parts. smile1
The revelation is wonderful. Just perfect in these circumstances! goofy
Your characterizations are great. thumbsup

Congratulations on a superbly written story! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tricia cool
Posted By: daneel Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/06/03 11:45 PM
wave
Posted By: Cristina Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/07/03 08:42 AM
I'm sorry I'm so late. I've been meaning to do this from part one, just never got around to it blush

This was so much fun!!!!! I think I'm going to follow Jose's example (a graemlin -or two, three.... laugh is better than many of my words)

clap clap

Cris
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/07/03 10:11 AM
Well, I'd like to reply to everyone individually, but with this embarrassment of riches, comments-wise blush I just don't think I can manage it smile Just rest assured that every single reply was appreciated.

A few bits I wanted to reply to:

The revelation -- this was one of the main reasons I wrote this story. I wanted to set up a situation where Lois would be relieved not to have to choose between Clark and Superman. Of course, that required her to be seriously interested in Clark, and by the time she gets there in the series, she's got plenty of reasons to react badly... so this idea intersected very nicely with the "Hubris" universe.

Clark's brunch preparations -- that was a case of transference, or something... I got to that part, and realized I had no idea what Clark should bring with him. goofy So then it seemed logical that *Clark* wouldn't know, either. smile The chocolate kisses, btw, were a gift from Paul, when I was panicking about this on IRC. Thanks, Paul!

Rewriting techniques -- I'm glad you guys enjoyed my twists... honestly though, I think I take such liberties with rewrites to avoid boring *myself* when I'm writing! :p

Tank -- don't give up yet wink

Luthor -- well, I considered wrapping him up "off-stage" -- maybe the cops would overhear him threatening Toni -- but I thought it would seem unsatisfying if L&C weren't working together to bring him down. Anything more involved, though, wouldn't have fit in this one.

Why did I start this series at H? Um, because I was *not* planning on it becoming a series smile I just wanted some way to get "Hubris" into the title <g> and it worked with *H*G Wells. For almost all of the time writing this story, it was called "I've Got a Crush on Two." But while plotting out the second one, I decided a third one was probably called for, and then when I was brainstorming the third, I noticed that I already had "H" and "I" in sequence, so maybe it'd be fun to re-title this one and continue the sequence... I've already got a plotline for J, but the title's not definite yet -- and I have a really cool title for K, but I still have to come up with a plot to match goofy

Claire... this is why I love having you on my beta-reading team <g>

Thanks *very* much to *everyone* who's commented, either here or earlier, or on IRC, or wherever... You guys are too kind, and your comments are greatly appreciated!

PJ
Posted By: merry Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/09/03 02:12 PM
Pam,
wonderful story - I loved it
sorry I'm late in posting
merry
Posted By: Xanabee Re: Comments: I is for Illusions, 5/5 - 07/11/03 04:10 AM
I enjoyed this so much - I love your stories, Pam! I loved 'H for Hubris' and this rewrite is just marvelous. Sooo much better than the episode! I'm all for a sequel so I'm adding my plea to those of the other readers. laugh

And you know what will follow, don't you? Nag, nag, nag! wink

Ursie
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards