Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: AmandaK FDK: Smart Kids Revisited - 04/04/24 01:39 AM
Story

This was probably the toughest challenge I have ever taken on, having never done an episode rewrite or adaptation before. I will admit that, by the end, I was sort of tired of slogging through scenes and trying to change them up to fit the world I've created here. It's not one of my favorite episodes by any means. Besides, it was more fun to focus on L&C's relationship. Hope you enjoyed reading!
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: FDK: Smart Kids Revisited - 04/04/24 04:02 AM
clap clap clap
I Love It!!! I love this series, and I love everything about this story! The episode choice fits the premise like a glove! I love the way Lois relates to Aymee, and the way Clark's discussion with Philip made him rethink his own choices. I have a new motivation to fix my printer now because I just want to print these out and put them in a binder to keep always. They're wonderful! <3
Posted By: Mike M Re: FDK: Smart Kids Revisited - 04/04/24 03:36 PM
The slog was worth it. A couple of very important points were revealed here. First Clark's perfect memory and how it is impacting him. He needs to quit holding it in and let Lois know, she can probably figure out a way to use it to their advantage. Second and most obviously, they just need to get on with their lives. They are close enough to back where they left that it probably won't matter as much as the changes they have already made. At least the almost wedding disaster can be avoided.

Mike
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Smart Kids Revisited - 04/05/24 12:57 AM
Yay! Glad Clark FINALLY realized the time to try to keep the timeline the same had long since passed. And man, Lois was certainly patient with him in this, though I suppose it was certainly her turn (after how many times Clark had been patient with her wink )

Liked the changes you've done with them. They're so sweet love
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Smart Kids Revisited - 05/12/24 10:25 AM
Hi Amanda!
Looking forward to seeing what you will do with our two smart kids wink
they have begun dating again, but are keeping it quiet at work.
So as not to attract attention to the storage closet being often locked during the lunch break?

Since I am adapting almost the entire episode, this story is somewhat longer than the others in the series.
/Eyes estimated reading time indicator skeptically/

Long author’s note is now complete. Enjoy the story.
Longer than some stories, shorter than some other’s author notes. All good. /decides to not list story in the Best Long Author Notes category/

It had been a slow news week for everyone, but that was about to change.
Fun how you can read this both as Lois narrating or omniscient narrator.

Lois grinned and trotted up to him, swiping the apple and taking a big bite as she sat down in its place.
Makes me grin. And wonder what would happen if Clark mentioned he prefers the apple. Was that from the show?

He frowned slightly when he noticed the apple. “I was saving that, you know,” he pointed out.
Oooh, fun. He didn’t notice the apple with all the leg until much later!

Lois smirked, enjoying the effect she still had on him after eight long years apart.
There’s a reason he wears a blue suit?

Everything was just as it had once been.
Except she has a couch that’s comfortable. Also, did Lucy already move out?

Simply put – Clark worried too much.
rotflol And they already broke the curse! There’s nothing to prevent snuggling.

She agreed that just up and getting married out of the blue would seem strange to everyone.
It’s helpful with undercover work. They can book a room as a married couple, hiding the fact they’re there to investigate why the councilman and his niece have taken a room there for the night.

“You can have another doughnut and not have to put in an extra hour at the gym. I can’t. So, I get the healthy snacks.”
laugh plus, he denies her other ways of exercising.

Clark frowned, thinking back to recall where he knew that name from. “Aymee Valdes… the smart kids? Is it that time already?”
It must be really difficult to get your old news stories straight. It’s not like they catalogued the smaller ones.

Which reminds me, just how are they gonna handle PML? Get Lois out of the newsroom before Miranda shows up? And will Lois get sprayed later on? Because with their history and active dating, she might be far less conservative in her approach to scoring with Clark this time around.

; they couldn’t find any proof that would possibly hold up in court. Without proof, they had nothing.
Maybe Lex’s girlfriend or fiancée could get the goods on him?

So, they needed to expose him another way.
Or Lex’s plane vanishes over the Bermuda triangle.

“Staff meeting! Or did you think you two were exempt?”
Ever since Lois started dating the new guy, her work went down the drain. She’s late, distracted, doesn’t get the big Luthor interview.

“You won’t believe the night I had,” the gossip columnist bemoaned, draping her arm on the back of Clark’s chair, and turning, just so, to make sure he had a great view of her… assets.
That’s what you get for dating privately.

She wanted nothing more than to stand up and stake her claim. Clark was hers. She was his.
Oooooh fun! Jealous Lois is so much fun!

Once upon a time, in the not-so-distant future, they were married.
Time whimey fun clap

She focused instead on Clark, leaning close to him with her hand on his shoulder for balance. And if that hand happened to slide down and across his chest a way, prompting Clark to capture it in his own and raise it to his lips for a brief, absentminded kiss, well… maybe Cat would finally get the idea and back off.
She’s sneaky!

So that’s how he got the paper shreds, she thought to herself.
laugh

“Why, I believe he was recommended by LexCorp. Mr. Luthor has been so generous to the school. He’s one of our top donors you know.”

Lois nodded and plastered on a neutral smile, but inside she was cheering. Got him! Well, not yet. But it was a start anyway. She turned to look at her partner and grinned.
Wouldn’t it be awkward if they got slapped with a cease and desist by Bender?

Inez nodded and smiled. “Thank you,” she mouthed, and then quickly trotted off back the way she came.
Awwwww

“I am clearly better at handling children this time around.”
Aww… does this mean she’ll be more open to having kids with Clark? I mean, she doesn’t even have her “Pulitzer comes first” excuse, this time around.

His thoughts were constantly drifting to the past… or the future… or the here and now as it once was.
Poor guy with an eidetic memory.

His perfect memory was both a boon and a burden.
evil

Of course he wasn’t about to complain about the slightly shorter skirts, slightly lower-cut blouses, and that perfume which she originally hadn’t discovered until they were engaged.
Wait, is she wearing *shorter* wardrobe than originally in Season One?
CAT: /prepares claim on prior art/

She knew perfectly well that she was driving him crazy. She was doing it on purpose.
LOIS: He knows where to find my bedroom.

Which brings up an interesting point: might she expose herself intentionally to Revenge? Or actually avoid it and fully consciously play-act the whole thing?

“We won’t let the kids get hurt. We’ll get them out before it goes that far. But I’m not ready to give up just yet. Catching Luthor is too important. We have to pursue every avenue available.”
Obsessive Lois might become a problem.

He loved taking kids flying. They had the best reactions.
What about Lois?
LOIS: be a dear and put me down behind CostMart? I need to get some milk and DFCBs.

Lois frowned and lowered her voice as well. “I handled it before, didn’t I?”

“As I recall, she tied you up with some sort of sticky rope shot from a water gun.”
laugh

“Are you two, like, together or something?” Aymee asked without looking up from whatever she was doing.
laugh

Then the girl just shook her head and shrugged. “Whatever. You guys just act like an old married couple is all.”
evil

. “Sixteen years and counting,” Lois muttered so only Clark could hear her.
She’s evil.
LOIS: She’s frustrated.

Lois lifted a spoonful of gloopy oatmeal from the pot on the stove, wondering if her eleven-year-old house guest would deem it edible.
Better than the slob at the Beckworth School.

So, she had set Aymee up in Lucy’s old room
/points at earlier remark/

even going so far as to take an extra semester of Home Economics in High School –
clap

Lois plugged in the toaster and popped a couple pastries inside, carefully setting the dial halfway and praying the whole thing didn’t catch fire.
evil it’s also good to only plug in the toaster when you need it. There’s criminals out there who can turn a toaster into a remote bomb.

But I didn’t become an investigative reporter just to get my byline on the front page.
/clocks eyebrow/
LOIS: I am allowed to grow, aren’t I?

As much as she was glad to almost be done with their repeat years, a part of her was glad for the experience.
Awwwww

The waiting for her husband to marry her again and finally go on their honeymoon… that part could go away.
laugh

“No, but after a while, you won’t notice anymore. You’ll go back to being who you are meant to be and learning things the way you are meant to learn them. And one day, all of that learning will let you do whatever you set your mind to doing.”
Awww… also, neither Mentamide 5 nor soul travel nor soul transfer actually work that way. Mentamide 5 you could explain with brain damage upon withdrawal. But soul travel, that’s just mumbo jumbo with its rewiring of the brain. Best not dwell on it.

Lois pouted and sunk back onto her feet. “In sync in everything except that.” She turned away; her good mood clearly deflated.
She just need to up the pressure. It’s not like he would complain about sexual harassment to the HR department. Or that the HR department would do something.

“We’ll get him next time,” was all she had to say in the aftermath.
I’m sure they can catch him after he imprisons Superman in a Kryptonite cage.

It was his job to make the woman he loved happy and he could start right now.
Look who’s grown up!
LOIS: He better make me happy three times tonight.

And then he leaned in close and sealed his mouth over hers, making it clear to anyone who could see that Lois and Clark were more than just partners.
Well, well, Wells.

That was a great rewrite. Well worth the effort! Now, I know that you already mentioned you don’t like episode rewrites, but I’m sure you can’t fault an old romantic for shoving PML, HiM and ASU towards writer. ASU should be very interesting with the question on Clark getting amnesia again. And I already did a treatise on PML earlier.

LOIS: Yes, Martha. I understand. The baseball bat is in the cupboard to the left? Got it, thanks!

wave Michael
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards