Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Lynn S. M. FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/03/22 11:01 AM
This is a variant of my weekly post to the Friday Flash Fiction web site. I tweaked it slightly to make it more Superman-related, although even the original included a mention of Lex.

As always, all feedback appreciated.
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/03/22 02:58 PM
clap

Not so smart indeed!
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/03/22 09:50 PM
Thank you, Morgana.
Posted By: Penny_Lane Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/03/22 11:53 PM
I love it when the evil villain gets caught in his own trap!! clap clap

Very good!

Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/04/22 12:18 AM
Hello Penny_Lane,

I've always found such stories fun, too. And given how grim the news is these days, I thought a fun story was just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks for your feedback. smile

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/04/22 04:28 AM
Shortest LnC episode ever! XD clap
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/04/22 09:43 AM
Short and to the point. clap
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/04/22 11:50 AM
Thank you, Queenie and Barbara.

I could see my story being the opener for a longer one. In fact, although I hadn't thought about this episode when I wrote the story, it could almost be an opener to Meet John Doe. The device, with a bit of tweaking, might have turned into The Sublimator.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/04/22 11:32 PM
Haha, whoops! Love it when a plan backfires. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/05/22 02:00 PM
Hi DC,

Thank you. You and me both. A love of irony may be able the only thing Tempus and I have in common.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/05/22 04:29 PM
Head villain definitely didn't think this through.
I wonder what the police report said goofy
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/05/22 04:47 PM
Hi Blueowl,

Agreed; the villain might be as evil as Lex, but he sure isn't as smart as him.

The police are probably used to odd goings-on. As Jimmy said, "It's all weird; we live in Metropolis." What I wonder is what they will do with those living statues and what will happen to the device.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/10/22 04:56 PM
Haha, oops!

And you know what’s funny? I had to look up “Cogitationist“ before I could read…and I felt not so smart. lol But in any case, thanks for the chuckle!

Sara smile
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/10/22 07:11 PM
Hi Sara,

I had to reject a lot of names I liked (e.g., "The Thinker") because they were already in use. I find "Cogitationist" rather clumsy; I'm guessing other creators think so, too, since a search of the web did not reveal any superhero or villain with that name. But while part of me is not fond of that moniker, another part is delighted with it, since it is very in keeping with the thinks-he-is-smarter-than-he-actually-is-and-never-misses-an-opportunity-to-advertise-his-supposed-brilliance character in my story.

This was definitely a case where a seeming obstacle resulted in a stronger story.

Thanks for the feedback,
Lynn
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/11/22 05:44 PM
Hahahah oops!! That was a good one!
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/11/22 06:07 PM
Hi Anna,

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. The Cogitationist epitomizes the saying about someone being "too smart by half."

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/11/22 08:00 PM
Since these two were still alive, their autonomic processes would continue to function - respiration and perspiration and the blinking reflex and - ew - the waste elimination systems.

I'd guess that Superman could smell them before he actually saw them. And I loved the name Cogitationist, meaning the one who thinks. Ergo cogito sum, as it were.

Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 06/11/22 08:43 PM
Hi Terry,

I know your on the MB now than in the past; I'm honoured that you chose to spend some of your time here reading and replying to my story.

I had imagined the two as being in a state similar to cryogenic suspension; their metabolisms would have been slowed to the point that Clark's nose wouldn't have been offended. Otherwise, I'm with you -- ew! Then again, given the things that Clark has had to deal with as Superman, he has probably become accustomed to turning off his super-olfactory sense just to be able to concentrate on his superdeeds. Even human noses, however, would not be happy with the odors.

I'm glad you liked the villain's handle.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 08/17/22 08:39 PM

Hi Lynn!

Time for one more… okay, more than one…

The Cogitationist monologued to his henchman.
So, this means many syllables as a theme of the story?

“‘Not as smart as Lex Luthor,’ they called me.
Yep, smart is the theme.

“Yes, boss.”
With a simpleminded henchman.

“You will stand still and await further orders.” “Ye—” The next day, Superman discovered two living statues.
So… oops?

Then again, given the things that Clark has had to deal with as Superman, he has probably become accustomed to turning off his super-olfactory sense just to be able to concentrate on his superdeeds.
Well, there *is* Lois’s cooking to be considered.

CLARK: [Linked Image]

I like the crossover ideas with the Sublimator laugh And as to the bodily functions, in the first season of Marvel's Jessica Jones the bad guy was able to tell people what to do, e.g. stay in the bed. Yeah, certain parallels may be drawn eek

wave Michael
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Not So Smart (1/1) - 08/18/22 02:34 PM
Then again, given the things that Clark has had to deal with as Superman, he has probably become accustomed to turning off his super-olfactory sense just to be able to concentrate on his superdeeds.

Well, there *is* Lois’s cooking to be considered.
I can't argue with that.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards