Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: folc4evernaday FDK: Flowers of Hope - 05/14/18 04:05 AM
All comments welcome.

This is a response to the Mother's Day challenge.

I decided to take the road less traveled on this one. thumbsup
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Flowers of Hope - 05/14/18 04:19 AM
Good story. The pain of infertility is one that's hard to put into words sometimes. The emptiness you feel inside. They questions of "why me?" and "what did I do wrong to deserve this?" The uncertainty of the future. The rage felt against the universe and life and God and whatever else you believe in. Watching hope die. Being too afraid to hope for the future (another cycle, another round of IF treatment, another month spent on an adoption waiting list).

You've done a commendable job of capturing a small snapshot of that, during one particular moment in Martha and Jonathan's life. And that's IF in a nutshell - a series of really crummy moments (for lack of the ability to use a LOT stronger language) that just keep beating a couple down.

But yay for Martha, she got not only a miracle child, but a super savior of mankind!

Great story. I'll be kissing my two little nuggets extra before I head to bed tonight. For me, the torment of IF is never far from my thoughts. Thanks for remembering those who hurt, rather than celebrate, on Mother's Day.
Posted By: Dandello Re: FDK: Flowers of Hope - 05/14/18 01:01 PM
A lovely reminder to remember the mothers-who-aren't-but-not-by-choice.
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK: Flowers of Hope - 05/14/18 01:44 PM
What a beautiful story!
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Flowers of Hope - 05/14/18 03:56 PM
Wow, This was so beautiful. mecry Very well done, Val. Great introspection. And I really liked that you brought Clark into it (cute little baby Clark helping out) and that she never forgot. Very touching.
Posted By: jackiek Re: FDK: Flowers of Hope - 05/14/18 04:21 PM
A beautiful story. Very well done.
Posted By: Millefeuilles Re: FDK: Flowers of Hope - 05/14/18 05:23 PM
What a profound and beautiful story! I was deeply moved.
The first scene where Martha and Jonathan waited for the doctor’s answer was masterfully and tactfully described, and your writing engulfs the reader in their emotions.
Young Clark is already Clark : his joy and love for life, added with Martha’s compassion and empathy make a powerful reminder that Hope is sometimes all we have, but that we must hold on to it.
Beautiful writing for a very unexplored subject in fanfic.
Posted By: Annie B. Re: FDK: Flowers of Hope - 05/14/18 06:16 PM
Beautiful.
Posted By: Kathryn84 Re: FDK: Flowers of Hope - 05/14/18 07:18 PM
I loved the story. It really seems like something Martha would do.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Flowers of Hope - 05/14/18 07:19 PM
A powerful story.

- Lynn
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Flowers of Hope - 01/06/19 03:51 PM
Hi Val!
Mother’s Day 1963

Tick tock. Tick tock. The minute hand moved across the face of the clock, inching its way to the six. Five thirty. She had told them to be there at five. It had now been thirty minutes and all they could do was sit in the office, covered in pictures of happy families and babies...so many babies.
So, Martha and Jonathan.

She wanted to scream.
She wanted to yell.
She wanted to throw something.
Even though everything screams *Lois*. No wonder she and Martha got along as well as they did.

Mother’s Day 1969

She held her adopted son’s hand,
And now they found one. Nice balance with the +/- three years thing.

What a sweet story and wonderful tribute!

wave Michael
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards