Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: folc4evernaday My Own Worst Enemy 17/20 - 12/06/17 06:06 PM
My Own Worst Enemy
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 17

Lucy felt a cold object against the back of her head. She did her best not to react as she began to take in her surroundings. She could feel the pain in the back of her head from where she’d been hit. The cold object disappeared and she suppressed the urge to sigh in relief. She didn’t dare move and give away the advantage she had at the moment. Whoever it was appeared to think she was unconscious.

Lois.

She remembered her sister going limp in her arms. Then a hard blow to the back of her head.

Jon.

Where was Jon?

“Find the baby.” a man’s voice she didn’t recognize spoke.

As carefully as she could Lucy fluttered her eyes open, peering into the brightly lit townhome. She had to find Jon before they did.

Who was they?

She tilted her head to the side ever so slightly and suppressed a gasp when she recognized Daniel Raymond standing with another familiar looking man. ‘The man that tried to push Lois off the roof.’ she recalled mentally.

They’d never caught him.

Daniel Raymond was a dirty cop.

She suppressed her revulsion at the idea that he’d been trying to pursue her months ago when she and Jimmy had been having problems. She’d actually danced with him. She’d actually…

‘Don’t think about that now.’ she told herself, watching as the two men disappeared into the kitchen.

It came out of nowhere.

The green glowing beam that shot out of Metallo’s chest and into Clark, knocking him down. It hurt like nothing he’d ever experienced before. He looked to the side and saw his double was suffering just as much.

“A two for one deal.” Metallo cheered happily as he approached Clark. “I’m going to enjoy this.”

“Corbin, you don’t want to….do this.” He tried to reason, looking up at the barely stable bridge he’d been working on repairing.

“Oh, but I do.” Corbin shot a beam of green at the bridge causing it to crumble. “You almost killed me last time. I’m not going to make the same mistake again.”

“No…” Clark heard a crack above him and shot a beam of heat vision to where Metallo had separated the two beams.

It wasn’t enough.

Mayson looked over the paperwork in her hand, scanning Bill Church’s contract. For the most part it covered everything. She made a few notes on errors she found in the margin. A spelling error here or question there. She was just about done when she came across a clause that had been added to the contract that seemed out of place.

‘Church Network accepts no liability for the actions taken by users….’

Mayson frowned as she read the statement again and again. “Why would they need a Release of Liability clause?” she wondered aloud.

The room was dark.

It hurt.

Her face. Her body. Her limbs. Even her eyes…

It all hurt.

Lois let out a muffled groan as she forced herself to open her eyes. A bright fluorescent light shone brightly in her eyes. She reached her hand up to cover them but found her arms unmoving. She felt a pain against her wrists as she tried to move. Her fingers moved up, feeling the edge of the the robe fibers against her wrists.

‘Where am I?’ she tried to pull her head out of the fog it was in as she looked around the room.

“Regaining your wits I see.” the smooth voice of her captor spoke as he neared her. She strained her neck to see his face. She felt a lump in her throat form when she saw him step into the light.

“You.” she gasped in surprise.

“I know it’s been some time, Lois, but I’d really thought I’d left some sort of lasting impression with you,” Lex said, running a hand across her cheek.

She flinched away from his grasp. “You won’t get away with this.” She snapped angrily.

“Oh, I beg to differ,” he said with a sinister expression on his face, pulling out a small lead box. His face scowled as he approached, “All that time wondering how you could choose a hack like Kent over me...even in death.”

His eyes darkened, and she glared at him, daring him to make the wrong move. “People will be looking for me. Clark will…”

Lex chuckled an eerie laugh that sent a chill down her spine. “Ah, yes, Kent. So many questions and so many clues. Now it all makes sense.”

“What makes sense?” She asked, suppressing a gasp when she saw the green glowing stone in his hands.

Lex’s face pursed into a satisfied smile as he leaned in and hissed, “Now why would the tenacious Lois Lane be afraid of a rock?” She flinched as she felt his breath against her face. “Maybe because you know it’s more than just a rock? A meteorite? A deadly meteorite...to someone important?” She didn’t react, hoping to keep her reaction in check as he continued. “No reaction, hmm? Well, you’re certainly loyal. I’ll give you that.” He stepped away from her, and she sighed in relief. “I’ll prove my theory when he arrives.”

“When who arrives?” She asked, uncertain if she wanted to know the answer.

“It’s only a matter of time when Superman finds you.” Lex mused, tossing the green glowing stone in his hand as he paced in front of her.

“What makes you think he’ll come for me?” she asked shakily.

“Why wouldn’t he?” Lex asked with a sinister smile. “Hard to stay away when both his wife and child have been abducted.”

Lucy stared at the baby monitor on the coffee table from where she laid at the foot of the stairs. She could hear the two men talking about ‘the baby’ and ‘the boss’ orders.’ Who the boss was she wasn’t sure, but she knew she had to get herself and Jon out of here.

Keeping her eyes on the corridor where the kitchen was, she began to crawl backward, nearing the staircase. She let out a sigh of relief when she didn’t see either man exit from the kitchen. She looked back at the stairs. It was a straight shot. She just had to find Jon and call for help. Mustering up all the energy she could she stood up and started up the stairs. She made it up three stairs when she felt two cold hands grab her from behind.

“Going somewhere?” the familiar voice of Daniel Raymond hissed in her ear. All nerves went on edge as she felt his grip on her.

“Get your hands ...off of me.” She struggled to free herself from his grasp.

“The boss won’t appreciate any loose ends.” He tightened his grasp on her arm, pulling a pistol up and pressing the barrel against her neck, “It seems I underestimated you,” the barrel pressed hard against her throat as he hissed in her ear.

She hocked a spit wad and spat in his face, smiling to herself when his grip on her loosened. Before he could wipe the fluid off his face, she delivered a hard blow to his stomach then another behind his knees, causing him to lose balance and drop the pistol. She reached down to grab it and held him at bay, “Seems you’ve underestimated me again, Captain.”

“And you’ve underestimated me.” She felt a cold object press against her back. “Drop the weapon.”

Clark stared at the bridge above him, willing it to mold together as he’d once had it before Metallo had shown up. It was no use. As hard as he tried his heat vision wasn’t enough. Nothing was enough.

Then it happened.

Out of nowhere another beam of heat vision joined his.

‘You get the left side I’ll get the right.’ the thought entered his mind, but it didn’t feel like it was his own. ‘The double.’ he reasoned to himself, focusing on what he was doing before he felt another hard blow from the green meteorite beam.

“Do you really think it’s going to be that easy?” Metallo taunted. “You destroyed my chance at a normal life.” He pointed to the metal face and body he was left with.

“I didn’t….do ….anything.” Clark struggled to hold his breath as Corbin opened the chest compartment, revealing the poisonous green rock once more. It hurt. His body ached. He looked to the side and could see his double was struggling with the same symptoms.

‘I’ve got to get rid of it.’ he thought to himself.

A memory popped into his head. An experiment Trask had done on the meteorite years ago. Too much heat caused it to explode.

‘Heat.’ he thought to himself. He aimed his heat vision at the meteorite, hoping his double would catch on to what he was doing. A few moments later another beam of heat vision joined his. The light from the meteorite changed from green to red then to black and then white before a loud explosion filled the air.

He took a shallow breath, looking to the side where the other Clark sat, hanging his head in his hand. He then looked to Metallo where the metal chest cavity that once had been glowing green from the meteorite was a melted discombobulated mess with a bright white stone inside his chest. The radiation that had once been there was gone.

“Is he?” the other Clark asked, standing to his feet.

“I don’t know.” Clark shook his head.

“Help! Superman!” the sound of Lucy’s cry for help reached both of their ears.

“Go.” the other Clark ordered. “I’ll get him to STAR Labs. You take care of Lucy. Lois might be in danger.”

Clark nodded, not allowing himself to ponder the situation any longer. He had to admit; it was helpful having someone to help on rescues. Though when he imagined having help, he always imagined it to be his son, not a less than ethical part of him that had been split from him by a meteorite.

“Help! Superman!” Lucy cried trying to run up the stairs and away from Captain Raymond and the mysterious man that had overpowered her.

‘Jon.’ she had to get to Jon. She had to….

“Your time just ran out.” the mysterious man said, grabbing her from behind.

She closed her eyes, preparing herself for the worst when a burst of cold air brushed against her face.

“I’ll say,” Superman’s stern voice came from behind her.

She looked over her shoulder and sighed in relief when she saw the very angry face of Superman hoisting both men in his arms with ease several feet off the ground. “Oh, thank God!”

“Ms. Lane, are you all right?” He asked, not taking his eyes off of the two men.

“I need to check on my nephew. I need to…” She stammered shakily.

He looked up for a split second. “He’s sleeping.” He said quickly, his face full of concern. “Where’s Lois?”

“I don’t know,” Lucy said in tears.

Dr. Klein looked at the sample under the microscope, tightening the knob and zooming in. "Definitely a human organism." He looked up at Dr. Hamilton. "I'm not sure what to tell you."

"It was a prototype, Dr. Klein...for a proposal to the military." Dr. Hamilton paced in front of him. "It was never meant to ..."

"Obviously you weren't given all the information." Dr. Klein said with a concerned expression. "Who brought the plans to you?"

"I wasn't ever given a name." Dr. Hamilton said shamefully. "I know his face. If I ever saw him again, I'd..."

"Dr. Klein!"

They both looked up and saw Superman carrying the metal body of Metallo in his arms.

"Superman!" Dr. Klein rushed to his feet to help him. "What happened?"

"I don't know," Superman said remorsefully. "I was trying to stop the radiation from the meteorite, and then this happened." He pointed to the white stone in Metallo's chest.

Dr. Klein peered at the stone and looked back up at Superman, "I'd have to examine it further, but that doesn't look to be the meteorite you described."

"Can you help him?" He pointed to the powered down Metallo.

"I can try." Dr. Klein assured.

Mayson picked up her phone and began to dial, uncertain if she was being paranoid about what she’d uncovered. Why would a cable network company need a liability clause in their contract? Why would Cost Mart? Why would Bill Church require a liability clause in a contract for a satellite weapon only meant to hurt Superman?

It didn’t make any sense.

Nothing made sense.

The more she thought about it, the more she felt Bill Church wasn’t being upfront about what he was doing. That bothered her.

“Yes, Cyber Crimes Unit? This is Mayson Drake.”

Lucy held Jon in her arms, bouncing him as she tried to soothe him. After Superman had left to deliver Captain Raymond and the man finally identified as Joey Bermuda to the police station she’d found her nephew waking up. After giving him a bottle and changing him, she did her best to keep him calm but was finding herself failing miserably at the task.

“I know sweetie I know.” She cried, setting the phone down. “I’ve left a message everywhere, but I can’t find your daddy. I don’t know where your mommy is, but I promise you we’re going to find them.”

Jon wailed louder.

“I know I suck at the pep talks.” Lucy whimpered to herself.

A sonic boom could be heard outside. She carried Jon downstairs with her. Hopefully, Superman had some news for her. When she arrived downstairs, she found both Clark and Superman in the living room.

“Clark!” she ran up to him, offering him a sideways hug.

“Are you all right?” He asked, taking Jon from her.

Lucy shook her head, unsure of how to respond. “I’m so sorry.”

“Captain Raymond has been turned over to Internal Affairs for investigation. Inspector Henderson assured me he would be detained without bail for at least twenty-four hours.” Superman said, looking at her with concern.

“Any sign of Lois?” Lucy asked.

“He, uh,” Clark shook his head. “He’s been looking.” He was quiet before he finally asked her. “Lucy, what happened?”

Lucy looked down shamefully, “I came over. We were talking, and the next thing I remember was her going unconscious in my arms and something hitting me from behind. I woke up, and she was gone, and those two were talking about finding the baby…” She burst into tears. “I’m so sorry, Clark.”

“You protected my son, Lucy,” Clark reminded her gently. “Given the circumstances, you did everything you could.”

“Why would Captain Raymond be involved in kidnapping Lois?” Superman asked.

“I don’t know. I don’t even know who that Joey Bermuda was.” Lucy shrugged, “except he was the same man that tried to attack Lois the night of Pete’s showing.”

“He’s involved in this up to his neck. I can feel it.” Clark muttered. “Did they say anything?”

“No, I heard that one guy...Bermuda something? He kept referring to a boss.”

“Boss?” both Clark and Superman exchanged a look.

“Yeah, does that mean anything to you?” Lucy asked.

Dinner was exquisite. The food was the best money could buy. The atmosphere was something Bill Church could only dream of as a child. “You understand no one can know about this.” He told his guest.

Asabi wore a satisfied smile as he sipped his wine. “Discretion is one of my strong suits, Mr. Church.”

“This young woman has become a problem for my son. When he comes to you and tries to have, you kill her you bring her to me.” Bill Church instructed.

“Of course, Mr. Church,” Asabi nodded his understanding. A quiet chirp came from his jacket, and Bill Church padded his jacket. “Left pocket,” Asabi instructed.

“This better be good news.” He spoke into the phone with a bark. After a few moments, he nodded and smiled. “The satellite’s in place? Yes, that will be all. I’ll let the president know.”

“The only boss that I’ve known of was Lex Luthor,” Superman said carefully.

“Who has been on the run for months.” Clark finished his thought for him as he stared down at Jon, nestled up against his chest with a sigh of relief.

“You think Lex Luthor has Lois?” Lucy asked in surprise. “Why?”

“There’s no telling,” Superman said, sharing a look of concern with Clark.

Clark nodded, understanding the silent message he was trying to send. “Lucy, do you think you could watch Jon for me while I help try and find Lois? There might be something in all our research that could help us find where he might have taken her.”

Lucy seemed uncertain but agreed. “Just bring her home.”

“I will,” Clark promised.

Henderson slammed six twelve inch binders on the table one by one. “Joey Bermuda.” A smile spread across his face, and he took a chair across from the dark-haired man. “I’ve been waiting a long time for this.”

“Keep waiting.” Bermuda shot back. “I ain’t saying nothing without my lawyer.”

“Yeah, about that,” Henderson shrugged. “Seems Mr. Bender informed the captain you’re no longer represented by him.”

“What?!” Bermuda’s face went pale, and his eyes widened. “He can’t do that to me!”

“He did,” Henderson said with a smug expression. “Hey, what can you do?”

“That low-life, scum sucking…”

Henderson grabbed him by the collar and pulled him to him, “You’re going to go away for a long time unless you start talking.”

“What do you want to know?” Bermuda asked.

“Where’s Lois Lane?” Henderson growled.

“Bermuda has failed the test.” Bill Church Jr. said, tapping his hand on his desk. “It’s time he was taken out. My men are working on taking care of Captain Raymond as well.”

“And the girl?” Asabi prompted.

“Make sure she disappears. I can’t have anyone pointing the finger at Intergang.” Bill Jr. looked at the television, showing his latest ad. “Who knew stealing an election would be so easy?’

“Yes, Mr. Church,” Asabi nodded.

TBC...

Comments Go Here
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards