Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Wendymr WHAM Warning Thread - 04/10/05 07:20 PM
As a result of the poll thread here , here is a new thread where authors may post WHAM warnings, 'broken toys' reassurances etc, rather than including them at the start of their story, thus spoiling some readers who don't want to be spoiled.

Use of this thread is by no means compulsory! But if you wish to use this thread, here's what to do:

Authors:

If you don't want to post the warning yourself - because your name showing as the last poster might alert readers to the fact that you've posted a warning - send your warning to admins@lcficmbs.com. Include your name and your story title plus the warning you'd like to have posted. In the subject-line of your email, please write WHAM warning thread.

For example, if I'd used this thread for A Twist of Fates, I would have posted something like this:

A Twist of Fates by Wendy Richards

This is a TOGOM adaptation in which Lois is killed stopping the bullet which was meant for Clark. However, I promise to put all my toys back together by the end.
Readers:

If you prefer to know about WHAMs, or want to be reassured that authors will fix their toys etc, then check this thread whenever there's a new story, or whenever you notice that there's a new post here.

If you don't want to know any spoilers, just don't open this thread!

As soon as this thread gets to one complete page, it will be unstickied and a new one started. That way you won't have to scroll through two pages to see the latest warnings.

Hoping this helps.

Wendy smile
Boards Administrator
Posted By: LabRat Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 09/23/05 10:37 AM
The Road Taken
by Terry Leatherwood

"The Road Taken" contains an ending where one of the main characters of the story dies. I mean, the character REALLY DIES! No magic comebacks, no miracles, no Superman interventions, no "deus ex machina" saved-at-the-last-nanosecond reprieves. This character dies and stays dead. The toy stays busted.

Sorry about that. I honestly can't resolve the conflict any other way.
Posted By: Wendymr Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 10/21/05 05:05 PM
WHAM warning for a new story:

24 Hours
by Wendy Richards

This story, which I will start posting some time in the next few days, begins with a very serious WHAM. Scroll down if you want more details.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

The story places Lois in a life-and-death situation. For most of the story, she is critically ill. As always, I intend to put my toys back safely - well, more or less safely wink - before the end, so never fear: it's not a deathfic.

Wendy smile
Posted By: lisime12 Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 12/19/05 05:55 PM
Have a Little Faith in Me
By Shannon & Lisa

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Our story has Lois and Clark coping with the death of their son, which has put a strain on LnC marraige> Yes, it does get worse b/c Clark is called back to Krypton. But don't worry there will be a happy ending
Posted By: Kaethel Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 05/28/06 12:40 PM
Near Wild Heaven II - Belonging, by Kaethel

I originally didn't plan on posting a warning for the next part as in concerns a minor character, but since so many readers seemed to like Dave (Lois's editor-in-chief), I must warn you that that first part was the only section where you'll see him, since he dies in the part I'm going to post tonight.

Sorry guys!

Kaethel smile
Posted By: Matrix Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 06/14/06 04:56 PM
Remember Me
By MetroRhodes

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

I will begin posting this story tomorrow, June 15th. 2 characters die in this story, although I do not consider this story a deathfic. One is a major character and one is a supporting character. I wasn't originally going to post a WHAM warning because the death of the major character isn't permanent. The character is alive and well at the end of the story. Also, the supporting character who dies - I didn't really kill this character off, the series did that. They died in the series. But since there are strong feelings about deathfics, I thought a warning would be appropriate.

If you feel that you need further information before you would feel comfortable reading this story, go to my profile and e-mail me at my e-mail address - I'll provide you with as much or few extra details as you want.

Thanks!
Posted By: Classicalla Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 07/06/06 03:29 AM
I've been writing a story and it has been suggested that I add a wham warning, so here it is..

The story: 'A New Hero' (formerly 'Zared')

The wham: Lois is dead.

I hope you like the story anyway.

Nancy
Posted By: bakasi Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 08/22/06 05:16 AM
Silent Agreements by bakasi

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Certainly not deathfic, but if you're unhappy with one of the main characters being injured, just stay away.
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 08/23/06 03:56 AM
Choices and Consequences Take One and Two deal with the aftermath of tragic deaths in Lois's life, but Resolution puts all the toys back where they were.
Posted By: Rac Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 09/06/06 05:22 PM
The Roads They Walked Alone Part 42

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

A tertiary character (but one I liked a lot) is about to buy the farm and in a rather unpleasant way. Unfortunately, such is the nature of war. My apologies if the death of a minor character is upsetting.
Posted By: Dandello Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 09/24/06 08:27 AM
Time Doesn’t Heal by Dandello

A year after Lois’s death, Clark can’t take it any more. Deaths of two major characters, one by their own hand. The toys stay busted. (Until the sequel at least.)
Posted By: Elisabeth Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 01/31/07 09:39 PM
Part 13 is the one and only part of No, In Any Language that may bother some readers. While the violence is mild and mostly inoffensive I wanted to warn the readers that if they are particularly sensitive to discussions about rape or campus violence they might want to avoid this part.

Elisabeth
Posted By: Henry Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 04/12/07 05:35 PM
Men of Steele 13 contains a fair bit of violence that might offend some readers it isnt' anything you'd see in a Tarantino film, but it's defintly more then you'd see on LnC.
Posted By: clrgard Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 10/02/07 04:31 PM
For those who like to be forwarned of WHAMs...

The story Zenith posted by clrgard has a WHAM in that Clark/Superman is blind as a result of Dr. Leit's device and his eyesight did not improve with the use of the infrared light.
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 05/10/08 11:20 PM
"Further On Down The Road" has a character death coming. I really can't tell you any more than that, except that it's a permanent death and no sleight of hand will bring the victim back.
Posted By: carolm Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 09/23/08 05:40 AM
This is a general warning for On The Other Hand.

Besides what is mentioned more specifically below, the characters do find themselves in life and death situations on more than one occasion. However, this is *not* a death fic of any kind - in fact, I can only think of a couple periphery characters that may die so...

There are also the general life difficulties that tend to come over the course of several years.

In Ch. 7, there is a potential implied sort of WHAM as in - the characters aren't sure if something bad happened or not - there's no clear memory or way to know the whole truth about what happened at the this point [though they do later]. I honestly did try to find another way around this particular plot point, but I just couldn't. I would imagine by Ch. 10-11 or so, it'll probably start to become clear why the plot point had to be there. It will become clearer still in Ch. 20 or 21 why it was needed.

If you feel that you need more details, please email or PM either now or later smile .

Thanks smile .
Carol
Posted By: LabRat Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 11/12/08 06:36 AM
Sleep
by Classicalla

A short deathfic.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Sara K M Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 12/17/08 10:04 AM
I've been debating for weeks whether to post a WHAM for this chapter of "A Box of Swiss Chocolates", but I finally decided I'd better be safe in case it really bothers some readers.

As any reader who read chapter 21 knows, Kiley is sick. In chapter 22, she is critically ill.

For those who need to know the outcome of this,
*S
*P
*O
*I
*L
*I
*E
*R
*S
*P
*A
*C
*E

Kiley is fine by the end of the chapter.
Posted By: Female Hawk Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 04/28/09 10:50 PM
Adrift involves death.

If you need to know more, feel free to PM me.
Posted By: Kathryn84 Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 05/18/09 01:33 PM
I'm going to post a short story which deals with the death of a main character.

If someone needs more information just send me a message.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 05/08/10 06:52 PM
For some reason, when I tried to post this earlier, I had not been able to reply in this thread. The only button available at the time had been the "New Topic" button. huh But I have access to the "Post Reply" button now. So just to make sure that my story doesn't blindside anyone (After all, my previous stories have all been pretty light fare), I'm going to add my WHAM warning to this folder.

If Looks Could Kill - WHAM warning
by Lynn S. M.

Lois is dead at the start of this story. She remains dead throughout the story. She stays dead at the end of the story.

This story is rated "M" for "Major Angst" by the newly invented "Lynn S. M. rating system."

- Lynn
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 09/28/10 01:59 PM
The Wonder of Love

This story NOT a Lois deathfic or a Clark deathfic, but it’s rated PG-13 for both sexuality and graphic violence. If you don’t like seeing Lois Lane badly hurt, please stop now. And if you don’t like seeing Superman push the envelope of acceptable Superman behavior, please stop now. I promise I won’t be offended.

If you want to take a chance on this story, however, I will tell you that Lois survives this tale. I will also tell you that Lois and Clark as a couple survive the narrative. But that’s all I promise. So if you have the Amazonian strength to continue, I invite you to do so – with the following words of warning (cribbed from Dante and slightly mangled) before your eyes.

“Abandon (nearly) all hope, all who enter here.”
Posted By: Female Hawk Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 11/04/10 05:08 PM
'Trusting Me, Trusting You' by Female Hawk.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

This fic has some dark moments. It has implied violence - results, not the actual events themselves. I skip over a lot of detail, hoping that individual readers will fill in the blanks or not - depending on their own preferences.

In places, it is sad.

Language - the word 'hell' appears a couple of times.

It is not a deathfic. That doesn't mean there is no death, but that death isn't a major theme. (And both Lois and Clark will be alive at the end.)

Most of the WHAMs come early in the fic.

Corrina.

ETA

As mentioned in the FDK thread for the prologue, Part 1 has a section which could seem to hint at something chilling.

Here's the section ...

Today, I strengthened my position over the enemy. We exposed him ... for a full twelve hours overnight, leaving him weak and defenceless this morning. The surgery was performed by Moyne and Shadbolt.
The *surgery* referred to is the issue. If your imagination leaps to gruesome stuff, it's almost certainly *not* as bad as what you're thinking.

I'm not willing to publicly say what the surgery was, but when it is revealed, I think most people's reaction will be 'OK, that's not as bad as I'd feared.'

I hope this helps,

Corrina.
Posted By: Jenna Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 03/19/11 09:59 PM
Somewhere between Heaven and Hope by Jenna

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Lois and Clark deal with one of their children being missing. And Superman has to come to terms with one of his hardest struggles yet.

Can't promise that I will fix all my broken toys.

"Even with all my abilties there's nothing I can do." -Clark Kent.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 05/09/11 02:46 PM
Ok. Well, it's time. I don't want to lose any readers, but I can't deliver any more parts of Missing Lois without the first of my WHAM warnings.

Firstly, I'd like to remind my readers as I did at the beginning, nobody dies but the characters do get banged up from time to time.

The first time is coming up in Chapter 2-Part 5.

Another WHAM happens in Chapter 3 as well as a WHAM, Bam... Sorry, Relationship WHAM. But I reassure you, if you stick it out... wounds do heal and everyone lives happily ever after again by the end of Chapter 10.

I'll post again, when we get closer to the next WHAMs in Chapters 4 and 5... Oh, wait. Someone does die. Ooops. blush But not a main character and not someone who survives in the regular canon.
Posted By: KenJ Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 06/08/11 05:02 PM
In Borrowed Time - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 2 part 5 of 8. A very poinient account of Lois' passing a she dies of natual causes - old age.

In Clark and Lois - Dispair to Hope - Matchmaker Chronicles Volume 4.

We will see how the Lois of Alt 1 died before Clark actually would have met her and Clark is with her at the time. It is a convoluted story involving multiple universes and time travel. It will be best understood by reading the Matchaker Chronicles set in order leading up to it. Volumes 1 and 2 have been posted already. Volume 3 will be posted shortly on both fanfic and nfic boards.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 07/19/11 07:45 AM
Lois has died prior to the start of 'Moving On'. The story does touch lightly on Clark's feelings, but the overall tone of the story is contemplative and introspective rather than emotional.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 07/29/11 12:16 PM
I know I should have posted something earlier (like when I started posting Chapter 5), but better late than never. blush laugh

As I mentioned before, my characters do get banged up a bit in Missing Lois and coming up towards the end of Chapter 5, bad WHAMy things happen. Someone does die, a minor character, but the effects of this death will affect our characters for a long time to come.

In Chapter 6 we have a red-herring death and in Chapter 7, canon Lois finally gets around to having her baby and dealing with her curse (WHAM), but she does survive (kind of).

If these WHAM warnings were too vague for you, I apologize; I hate to do more spoilers. If you HAVE to know the type of WHAM mentioned above, before it is posted, feel free to contact me and I'll give you a private spoiler WHAM warning.

I'll post more WHAM warnings for the last chapters (8-10) closer to their posting dates.
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 07/30/11 04:59 PM
WHAM warning for my story, "Distraught" that should be going up in the next day or so. Take this WHAM very seriously. None of it is fake. This is a deathfic.

Also, it is very long! I should break it up into more pieces, and I can, but I tried it and I still like it best as a one-shot. So there.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
Lois is dead before the start of story (in childbirth). Clark is in a bad place... Very serious and angsty and sad. If you want more of a warning, feel free to contact me. For those of you who think this is too sad or serious, I'm also planning on posting an alternate/companion piece where Lois is dead but the story ends happier... whinging , and it had to be written. wallbash
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 08/16/11 02:13 PM
WHAM warning once again for my story "Distraught- Alternate Ending". Again, very serious WHAM (for those of you who did not in fact read the first one).

Will probably go up in the next couple of days. Sorry about the delay. huh Life caught up...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E

Lois is (still) dead. As is Clark and Lois's baby boy. Not discussed very much in this version. This version of the story picks up after Clark tells Lois's parents the truth and goes very differently from there. While Clark does not actually commit suicide in this version, there is a lot of talk about it and he does attempt. So just giving you fair warning. But... he does live. So you can breathe easy. wink Oh, and there's a little more backstory in here with how Clark coped up until this point- including his parent's role in it all.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 10/27/11 10:19 AM
In Just a Little Too Far someone from canon is dead. It's not sudden and happened before the action of the story. Due to a disaggreement wink with my Beta, I will also be posting a Happily Ever After ending for those who cannot handle a bit of grim reality. laugh
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 02/05/12 05:27 AM
Afterwards details the aftermath of a particularly disturbing crime. I have tried to keep it as free of graphic details as possible, but the implications of what took place are clear. It is NOT a cheery story, nor does it have a happy ending.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 02/09/12 10:29 PM
The Passing Of A Legend

Perry White dies. Sorry, folcs. But I felt like it needed to be written.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 04/01/12 11:57 PM
Another Dimension, Another Time, Another Lois

First off, let me inform you that this story is set in an alt-canon-dimension. No harm comes to canon Lois, canon Clark, or alt-Clark in this story. That being said, this is technically a “deathfic” in that alt-canon-Clark is killed and alt-Clark decides to go save this new Lois instead of saving his alt-Lois, who died back in the Congo. (I do not consider these spoilers as these facts are known within the first few lines of the Prologue and Part 1.)

WARNING: If you continue to read, you *will* be spoiled. Don’t read the rest of this unless you really want to know major plot points (no details) of this story.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

A
N
D

R
E
A
S
S
U
R
A
N
C
E
S

SPOILERS and REASSURANCES. SPOILERS and REASSURANCES. SPOILERS and REASSURANCES. SPOILERS and REASSURANCES. SPOILERS and REASSURANCES.

Clark is killed as a baby by Tempus back in 1966. By killing Clark, Tempus inadvertently wipes out his own existence. This event causes time to shatter and the formation of another dimension in which Clark doesn’t exist. (Canon Dimension is fine though; canon Clark and canon Lois return to their time and S2 continues as in canon – no harm, no foul.) The shattering of time means that this new Lois and new Wells can only travel forward in time, not backwards to right this horrible wrong. Baby Clark’s death also means that when Lois and H.G. Wells leave 1966, they will no longer remember Clark, Superman, or Tempus, because they will no longer meet them or each other in the future.

Lois refuses to accept this fate for Clark or herself. H.G. Wells informs her that the only way to “unshatter” time is to figure out how Tempus’s destiny is linked to Clark’s/Superman’s and find some other way to save the man from the future. If they can figure out a way to make Tempus survive, then they can “unshatter” time and go back into the past to save baby Clark. Lois and Wells give each other notes to explain what has happened and what their assignment is to save Tempus.

Upon returning to 1995, Lois is thrown into a world where she no longer remembers Clark and where Superman never existed. Season 2 continues… only without him and his influence in it. Since there has been no Clark or Superman in this new destiny, many people who survived in canon dimension will not do so intact, or at all, in this dimension. This includes people around the world, in Metropolis, in Smallville, and even within the Daily Planet family. It also means that Clark isn’t there to distract Lois from Dan Scardino, so he also will have a larger romantic part in her life than in canon. (All sorts of WHAM warnings here.)

Be reassured that not all is without hope – Clark hasn’t disappeared completely. Lois starts having dreams of her previous life with Clark and Superman in it. These dreams influence Lois’s real life and makes her question so-called truths that she had once considered facts. Then she discovers that Clark hasn’t completely abandoned her, either that or she’s going crazy.

My Betas reassure me that Book 1 can be considered a Dark Comedy (either that or I have a real sick sense of humor). The darkest and hardest parts to read (unless you have some gag-reflux to Dan Scardino) will be Parts 1, 23, and 24. Everything else is somewhere between the silliness of Green Eyed Monster and the drama of Missing Lois. Be warned though, since there is no Superman or Clark Kent alive in this story, many people *will* die. Also, not everything in Lois' life will be sunshine and roses.

If my reassurances have not relayed your fears for a future lightness after the darkness of this story, please feel free to skip Book 1 entirely and start with Book 2, which will have a real, living, breathing Clark and a flying Superman and not so many deaths of canon characters. Book 1 is recommend prior to reading Book 2, but not required. Each Book in this trilogy is a separate story and can be read alone or as part of the whole series. You could even read Book 1 after reading Book 2. Feel free to email me at lc.virginiaR@gmail.com, if you need to know in more detail who will die or get injured or how close Lois and Dan become in Book 1.

Personal WHAM Warnings:

Tank – because of no Clark Kent, Jimmy Olsen will have a bigger part in Lois’s life and he will *not* die. (Sorry). The only ‘kid’ though is alt-canon-Clark as a baby.

Ray – I’ve tried my best not to include those plot devices that you hate in my stories, but I cannot guarantee that I’ve gotten rid of all of them.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 05/25/12 07:08 PM
Wrong Place, Wrong Time, Wrong Clark

First off, let me inform you that this story is set in an alt-canon-dimension. No harm comes to canon Lois or canon Clark in this story. That being said, this is technically a “deathfic” in that the original Clark of this new dimension (alt-canon-Clark) died back in 1966, leaving Lois and the Kent family essentially Clark-less. Alt-Clark decides to leave his dimension and move to this new dimension to save this alt-canon-Lois instead of going back in time to save his alt-Lois, who died back in the Congo. (I do not consider these spoilers as these facts are learned during the Prologue and Part 1.)

Because there is no Clark Kent in this alt-canon dimension until alt-Clark arrives in May 1993, several people who are alive in canon dimension will already be dead or injured in this story upon alt-Clark’s arrival. The death and injuries happen prior to the beginning of this story, but could be considered a WHAM when you learn about them during the course of the story, especially if you haven’t read Book 1: Another Dimension, Another Time, Another Lois[/i] .

If you have read [i]Another Lois
, don’t worry the death and injuries are ones you have already learned about in Book 1, and be rest assured the body count diminishes down to single digits.

If you get uncomfortable with Clark (alt-Clark, in this case) romancing someone other than his direct soulmate (alt-Lois), you may feel uncomfortable with this story… as that one of the main reasons that alt-Clark moves to this new dimension is to woo this alt-canon-Lois.

Feel free to email me, if you need to know in more detail who died or got injured. If you want to know if this alt-canon-Lois will end up with alt-Clark or her own alt-canon-Clark (resurrected from the death – hey, it could happen!) during the course of this story, I’m sorry, I will not be handing out that information, you’ll have to read and find out.

04/25/14 - EDIT: In Lois's previous life (described in Book 1: Another Dimension, Another Time, Another Lois) Lois gets sexually attacked (although, not raped). The memory of that attack is described in detail here (and alluded to in Book 1). The Lex Luthor of this story is a horrible man who enjoys inflicting pain on others, especially women. Some of his thoughts and actions shown in his POV scenes (and a couple of other characters's as well) may be uncomfortable for some readers. While he may at times fantasize and/or plan to do bodily harm to Lois, he never succeeds. He is, however, successful with others, and these acts are alluded to and the outcome described.

WARNING: If you continue to read, you *will* read spoilers!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

A
N
D

R
E
A
S
S
U
R
A
N
C
E
S

SPOILERS and REASSURANCES. SPOILERS and REASSURANCES. SPOILERS and REASSURANCES. SPOILERS and REASSURANCES. SPOILERS and REASSURANCES.

TANK: (Spoiler) There are more than one Jimmy Olsen and they will both not only be interacting with L&C, but with each other during the course of this Book. Neither of them is currently slated to die. (Reassurance) Lois will cut her hair earlier than she did in canon and it will be approximately half way through the story. Lois and Clark will not be directly involved with any of their own children during the course of the story (i.e. all references to children, pregnancies, etc. will be vague and non-specific.)

General Spoilers & Reassurances: Alt-canon-Lois will fall in love and become married to a Clark by the end of this story. Alt-Clark will be with a Lois at the end of this story. I will not tell you if they will end up with each other or another set of (possibly resurrected) Loises or Clarks.
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 12/12/12 11:38 PM
Yep. I did it again. I killed Superman.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

In the first chapter of "Kill Your Heroes," I knock off Supes under mysterious sort of circumstances. The story does not get any lighter by the end. Just to warn ya'll. smile
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: WHAM Warning Thread - 01/25/15 09:15 PM
*bump*

I expect to be posting a warning here in the near future anyways and this way it'll be easier for me to find. wink
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards