Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: tipiwoman FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 08:14 AM
Well SQD, You've outdone yourself again. I love the way you write. You've really got the true personality of Superman in this story. I love it. He's strong. He's protecting his secret. He's honest. He's all that Superman is supposed to be. It's great.

I didn't read the warning stuff, I'll just take what comes. I trust you!

I hope you've written a lot on this story. I also hope you'll be posting frequently! smile1
Posted By: stopquitdont Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 08:38 AM
tipi, got it all written, hope to post weekly if not twice weekly, but be advised... I had a LOT of help on this one. My good friend, and inspiration, Jenni Debbage poured just as much, if not more(she had to fix all my mistakes goofy ), blood sweat, and tears into this baby (as she calls it laugh )! Can't wait to see if your opinion changes as this goes on. thumbsup

SQD
Posted By: Jenni Debb Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 09:05 AM
Hi all,

I'm really so glad to see this go up on the MBs.

As SQD has said, there were times we thought we'd never get through this.

I also have to say that I'm very nervous about this 'baby'. It's a complete departure from my usual premise, and I would never have tackled it if SQD hadn't asked me to co-write with her.

Thanks for giving me the chance to try something different, SQD, and I hope you've enjoyed the experience too. wink

But mainly, I hope you readers appreciate the story. smile

Yours Jenni
Posted By: Supes1fan Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 09:50 AM
Well I think it has a wonderful start and I'm very excited about reading this.

I am thinking I better get out the tissues for this b/c I already have a heartache for Clark. mecry

Hope you post twice weekly, since I already can't wait for part 2!

~Liz
Posted By: Mad Dog Lane Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 10:37 AM
SQDDDDD, thumbsup

MDL. laugh
Posted By: Shadow Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 10:39 AM
mecry

Just to cry along with everyone else.

*Great* start. I can't wait to see if and how Lois is going to find out about it...

JD
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 12:37 PM
Hi,

Great start. smile1
Posted By: daneel Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 02:27 PM
Wow! eek

smile1
Posted By: Ingra Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 02:47 PM
Interesting premise! smile1

Here in Brazil there was a soup opera that aproached this subject as well, and although I didn't watch it, I think it is a very interesting subject and even more so with someone like Clark, an unique alien with super powers. Well done! hyper

Ingra
Posted By: Gabriele Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 02:51 PM
Ditto others.

Well, I am not sure what this means

having a child as a donor to cure a loved one
but if it is what I believe, then I have a little unsure if it's right or not in RL! But I trust on you!

Post more soon!
Posted By: Simona Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 03:25 PM
Finally a new story from SQD and Jenny!
you are dealing with a very difficult subject, but I do know you are able to do very skilfully: your stories prove it! wink
I can understand the difficulties you have had to tackle: I had a friend who died when she was only fourteen years old, but I was only a kid too, so in spite of the fact that I knew she had leukemia, I was taken by surprise by her death; I think I had an childish confidence that, because she was so young, she could not die. But only one year ago a friend of my brother died because of a rare version of cancer, and I saw the despair of his relatives, but also the great love of his parents, brothers and friends: for example his sister-in-law gave up her job (and I think neglected a little her own kids) to be near him and follow him and his parents during his many trips in Paris for his treatments, and studied that branch of medicine to question the many different opinions of so many doctors.
I look forward to see Clark's reaction to his illness in the long term, and his friends's too, and how this mess'll push things with Lois.

Simona smile
Posted By: Julia Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 03:32 PM
Wow, great job, SQD and Jenni. This is an amazing start. whinging

I can't wait to see what happens next. Are they trying more treatments and what's this all about that
having a child as a donor to cure a loved one
?

Looking forward to part 2

~Julia
Posted By: Psychofurball Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 03:41 PM
Wow, This is alot different then the other fanfics I'm use too. I have a feeling I'm gonna need some tissues. *sigh*. Great job!! I love the way you write. Can't wait for some more.

Rach
Posted By: SuperRoo Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/05/04 06:05 PM
I don't know where that quote came from.

Some people who have leukemia may have to have a bone marrow transplant as a part of their treatment.

Though Clark's background may pose a challenge. If Clark needs a bone marrow transplant he MAY not be able to look to other humans because he is Kryptonian. thumbsup

Maybe he can just fly out to the Sun to radiate it out of him or something....? confused
Posted By: ethnica Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/06/04 01:58 PM
Wow! thumbsup You been talking to Tank? laugh
Posted By: Sheila Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/05/07 08:40 PM
I'm reading this for the umpteenth time and I just love it. It was such a sweet story, the love that is shown throughout. Just in case I didn't tell you before...Great Job!
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/05/07 11:16 PM
Yes, this is an amazing story. To everyone who hasn't read it, you are in for a treat!

Ann
Posted By: Poussin Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/06/07 02:17 AM
I agree. That's one of my favourites story out there.
Posted By: rkn Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/19/07 07:03 AM
Ditto- Gift for Life is one of the stories I printed out so I can read it anytime anywhere. Definitely in my top ten L&C stories.
Posted By: Tahu Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/19/07 03:20 PM
yeah it is one of my favorite's too and I cry every time.
Posted By: Jenni Debb Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/21/07 03:08 AM
Hi everyone,

I can't believe that A Gift For Life's fdk folder has been resurrected on the MBs.

It seems so long ago since SQD and I posted it, yet believe me, it's wonderful to know that it's still a favourite. smile

Thanks again for taking time to let us know. Writers always like to hear nice things about their 'babies', even when their kids are years old. wink

Yours Jenni
Posted By: lcfan4ever Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/21/07 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Jenni Debb:
...It seems so long ago since SQD and I posted it, yet believe me, it's wonderful to know that it's still a favourite. smile
I can't be that long ago, because I only read it last weekend after I'd found it at lcfanfic.com smile . I'm just sorry that my english is so poor that I can't tell you my exact thoughts about this story, except: I loved it smile1 clap
Posted By: Matrix Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/21/07 06:31 PM
Okay, I'll admit that I haven't read a lot of stories on the archive... I've only been here for a year. So when I see an old thread revived (like this one) it always makes me want to go off and read the story...

So I did, a few days ago, I found this fic and read it (hardly was able to put it down, except to sleep) and was utterly blown away by it. Jenny & SQD, wonderful job. Amazing. I find that I don't even have words to describe how much I enjoyed it...

So....

I did a little trailer for it to show my appreciation. I figured you already had a trailer (and once I finished mine, I checked... and yes, Poussin did one for you and hers was amazing) but I hope you enjoy mine too. Just my little way of saying thank you. I will definitely be re-reading this one. I downloaded it to my favorites file.

-- DJ
Posted By: stopquitdont Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/21/07 07:03 PM
I see Jenni beat me in here to tell everyone how much we appreciate you all resurrecting this file and not forgetting this story. She's (Jenni) right- it's wonderful this is still stirring readers. I'm almost blown away. Thank you all so much for reading and taking the time to comment.

And, DJ, Wow! A trailer-- I'm off to find it!

SQD (who wonders if she and Jenni need to revisit the hard drive together thumbsup )
Posted By: lcfan4ever Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/22/07 03:30 AM
Originally posted by stopquitdont:
...(who wonders if she and Jenni need to revisit the hard drive together thumbsup )
Of course you need to [Linked Image]
Posted By: Poussin Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/22/07 03:48 AM
SQD (who wonders if she and Jenni need to revisit the hard drive together )
Definitely! There is no doubt here that you should. I am reading again "A gift for life", said for the 10th time at least, and I'm still crying as much as the first time...
Posted By: mmouse Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/23/07 11:14 AM
Jenni and SQD,

SQD (who wonders if she and Jenni need to revisit the hard drive together )
The answer is yes. You both are wonderful writers, but together, you were magic. Please do consider doing another story together.

mmouse
Posted By: Ultra Woman Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/23/07 11:45 AM
The answer is yes. You both are wonderful writers, but together, you were magic. Please do consider doing another story together.
Ditto. thumbsup I couldn't pass up the chance to say once more how much I loved this story. It's my first recommendation for anyone interested in fanfic. I've always been a fan of SQD's and Jenni's stories, then a story written by both of them just could be on my top list. One of the greatest L&C stories I ever read. notworthy notworthy notworthy
Posted By: Patti Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/25/07 03:51 PM
I read the story for the first time I believe in December. I've since reread it at least two more times. It's a beautiful and romantic fic. I'd definitely place it in my top 10 favorite fics in this fandom . I don't suppose the author ever wrote a
sequel to it did she? I think i'll mosey over to
the archive to her listing and see if i've read
everything of hers' there. Does she have a web page? Anyone know?
Patti
Posted By: silm Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/26/07 07:21 AM
That's one of my favourites stories, and I printed it to reread anytime and anywhere, too.
It´s a such wonderful, moving work!
Thanks again!
Sil
Posted By: Mrs. McLeod Re: FDK: A gift for life - 04/29/07 02:05 AM
I was so glad I found the new trailer, because I didn't know the story before. But it's definitely a jawdrop beautiful story!!
and I liked how you named every chapter after an episode wink
Posted By: Sheila Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/23/09 12:15 AM
I'm reading this...again!

~Sheila
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: A gift for life - 08/23/09 02:45 AM
It's fantastic, isn't it?

Ann
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards