Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: hopeless chocoholic FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 02:44 PM
I was online when you were posting this and was on the edge of my seat at the end of part one! So so beautiful, and I love the pictures smile1

Thank you for sharing

Hopeless chocoholic smile
Posted By: lois13270 Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 02:58 PM
wendy, your story is so wonderful and you posted part 2 just in that moment, I finnished reading part 1 smile1

petra
Posted By: Vicki K Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 03:12 PM
Wow. I'm in awe of how completely marvelous this story was, Wendy.

The first person perspective you used was perfect for this, and you portrayed both Lois and Clark so believably. I loved every word. clap

What's next? wink

Vicki (who has a birthday coming up in June, so start planning now... laugh )
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 03:39 PM
Awww... nice. As much as I wanted to bang their heads together, their doubts and worries and emotional cowardice were very much in character for both of them. Thanks for putting them out of my misery wink

And I was very impressed at your use of first-person all the way through. Very well done.

PJ
Posted By: Karen Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 03:49 PM
Aww, what a wonderful story! If there's ever a need for a melting goo smilie, this is it. I love the introspection and how both of them wanted to go after the other. And the ending! *melt*
Posted By: Melisa Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 03:51 PM
Awwww! Very Very Cute. I loved the internal emotional arguments they were having with themselves and the revelation at the end. Well done.

Melisa
Posted By: DocJill Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 04:51 PM
Awwww, Wendy, that was so sweet and wonderful!!! They're both so cute when they're cowards. wink

I’m an idiot. Worse, I’m verging on a stalker! I need to go home.
smile1
Jill goofy
Posted By: MissyG Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 04:52 PM
Awww!!

Wonderful, Wendy!!!

Loved all the internal battles, each wanting more from the other and so afraid to be the first to burst the friendship bubble!

Loved the kisses and the blissful blanks in memory!

It was perfect the way you ended it also -- quiet happy revelation...

Fantastic!!!!

Missy (still in waffy puddle of goo and who is rethinking her vote for EvilWendy)
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 04:54 PM
Hi,

Great story. smile1
Posted By: merry Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 05:17 PM
Wendy,
wonderful, beautiful, sweet

merry
Posted By: Tank Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 05:54 PM
Gasp! Choke! AcK! (THUD)

Tank (who is diabetic and can only take so much sugary sweetness)
Posted By: MissyG Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 06:05 PM
/me gives Tank a shot of insulin (with DocJill's guidance) and forces him to read Wendy's story again.... slowly!

Missy
Posted By: Jalmg16 Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 06:29 PM
I'm diabetic too, but I handled it just fine.

Great story! clap
Posted By: YellowDartVader Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 07:01 PM
Wendy,

Wow, I love it. Smoochies, revelations, wonderful pictures wink . I love the line that Jill quoted! So, so, so great!

- Alicia smile
Posted By: rivka Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 07:14 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWWW! grumble ). And just so, so, WAFFY!

I enjoyed the alternating first person -- it really let us inside their heads. That's a very difficult perspective to do effectively, but you certainly did! clap clap

Thank you for this beautiful fic! jump
Posted By: AnnieM Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 07:28 PM
Absolutely wonderful! I adored it. Normally I'm not a fan of first person narrative, but I think this was one of those rare stories that was better because of it. I don't think that without the first-person narrative we would have been able to truly understand how nervous and torn both of them were. I felt so bad for Clark when he was sitting outside, unable to work up the energy to walk away. And I was so happy for them when they finally made it inside together.

It was great, Wendy. I loved it.

Annie
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 07:36 PM
Aw Wendy that was sweeter then a Flake! And so are you<g> What a sweet beautiful little story. Ah if the feeling of a first kiss could be verbalized, I think this little story would do it justice. Laura
Posted By: TriciaW Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 09:08 PM
Wendy

WOW! WOW! smile1

Tricia cool
Posted By: Melisma Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/12/03 09:51 PM
So am I a diabetic - and I loved it! Why don't we form a diabetic FoLCs mini-group? That way we can have mutual support when such sweet fics come out... LOL

Good work, and please write something (long or short, sweet or angsty, I don't care!) soon...

Melisma (going back to re-read this, here under her Rock - that's how much she loved it)
Posted By: IreneD Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/13/03 12:23 AM
Awww! Very nice! No A-plot, nice kisses, lots of WAFFs. What more can anyone ask for?

Irene
Posted By: Loriel Eris Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/13/03 07:01 AM
Wonderful... Can't think coherently yet, am too busy melting into a puddle of waffy goo.

I really enjoyed the style of the story too, the way it was told entirely from POV and we got to see *both* sides. smile1

Loved the ending too, that just finished me completely - there is now a big puddle-of-goo stain in the computing lab! laugh

Loriel
Posted By: Joy Moony Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/13/03 11:14 AM
This was a wonderful read! I loved both perspectives, I loved the self-doubt, the internal monologues, the sweetness and I just adored the happy ending. Thank you!!!!
Posted By: Kaethel Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/13/03 11:25 AM
I adored it! From first line to finish. smile It was so bittersweet at first, when they both wished for more but wouldn't take that final step. I wanted to hug my poor boy (okay, no comment on me *always* wanting to do that :p ) when he kicked himself for standing outside Lois's apartment and itching to go back and grab her and kiss her senseless.

And then they met on the steps, both driven by the same need. Sniffle. There was a moment when I literally felt that time stopped: when Lois took his hand and reached up to kiss him for the first time. It was very sensual without hinting at anything more than tentative: very romantic. smile

And the revelation was just perfect, too!

Kaethel smile
Posted By: amciotola Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/13/03 11:41 AM
What can I say that hasn't already been said!?

*waffy sigh*
Posted By: Trenna Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/13/03 01:58 PM
OMG! smile1 smile1

Everyone has said what makes this story special. I was thinking when I started the story that not many are written in first person and it must be harder to do. You did it beautifully!

This story is about the most difficult part of any relationship, being vulnerable. I admired Lois when she acknowledged that, after slapping Clark down twice, she needed to make the first move.

I enfold her in my arms, and she lays her head against my shoulder. “And you caught me,” I tell her. “And I caught you - and I’m not going to let you go.”
Sighhh!

I've loved this song since it first came out on Days of Our Lives, but it fits Lois and Clark even better. clap

Thank you, Wendy, for writing this with great pictures. Lois and Clark will always be the best Friends and Lovers!
Posted By: LabRat Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/13/03 02:42 PM
Late again, but...ohhhhhhhh, Wendy, this was beautiful. Bittersweet (thanks, H! <g>), poignant, waffy and the first person narrative throughout was perfect, as others have already noted.

Absolutely superb!

LabRat smile (sighing happily as she wafts off in a haze of smoochies...)
Posted By: traceylynn Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/13/03 02:43 PM
Hey Wendy smile

I don't really have anything else to add. I have a soft spot for first-person pov, and I loved the way you wrote this one. Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

Enjoyed every word smile

Tracey smile
Posted By: KathyM Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/14/03 09:13 AM
Wendy, I read this very soon after you posted, but I just haven't had a chance before now to get back to comment on it.

And so now I pretty much have to say ditto to what everyone else (except Tank) has said. I think the first person POV back and forth worked really well, with each of them sharing the same fears and doubts and concerns and you just wanted to call out to both of them "just do it!". In fact, I know I said that to each of them at least once while reading the story - and Lois listened! I love that Lois recognized that she was the one who needed to make the move, and that she followed through.

And the emotions of the moment - when they did finally kiss - were just beautiful. Everything that had built up to this was worth it.

And such a lovely revelation! As a writer, Clark obviously remembered learning "show, don't tell" - much more effective than words in this case. smile I'm so glad Lois didn't get mad.

Such a tremendously waffy story, Wendy. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

KathyM
Posted By: Saskia Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/14/03 03:18 PM
This was so sweet and waffy, Wendy, I tremendously enjoyed it. The pictures really helped too... cool

I can't say much more then what has been said by others. Just wonderfull, really. SO bring us more of your stories!

Saskia (eagerly awaiting more WLMC wink )
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/15/03 05:55 AM
Sorry for being so late to comment.

GREAT STORY!!

What more can I say??

I liked the way Lois and Clark were thinking... it made me laugh several times. And yet, it was very realistic - does anybody doubt it??

A friendly advice:
Don't listen to any diabetics! It's true that romantic stuff sometimes gets just too boring or even disgusting, but this was just as sweet as it can be, and yet not boring or disgusting at all!

Great work!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Anna_B.

P.S.:
Vicki (who has a birthday coming up in June, so start planning now... laugh )
Ha, ha, my birthday's on Saturday!! laugh laugh
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/15/03 06:52 PM
This was just great, as usual Wendy. I loved the revelation. I don't usually take to POV fiction, but you did it well and had very nice transitions.
smile1
O.K., the discussion on the list got me to get my butt in gear here.
Artemis
Posted By: Wendymr Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 05/17/03 01:52 PM
Hi everyone. smile

I don't know what to say. I'm speechless! blush

Trenna, I am delighted that you enjoyed the story. If it even gave you a fraction of the pleasure that your music videos continue to give to all of us, then I'm very happy. You are a terrific FoLC! smile1
Posted By: Shallowford Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 08/09/15 12:13 AM
Wonderful WAFF. Thanks. I'm hoping someday to write half as clearly and detailed as you do. thumbsup
Posted By: Mike M Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 08/09/15 12:47 AM
I just seem to be following you around here. First the Nan story I had never read and now a Wendy story that I read so long ago that I had almost forgotten about. Keep it up Shallowford! I loved the older stories before dark became the norm.

Mike
Posted By: Shallowford Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 08/09/15 11:04 AM
Yeah. I've deliberately been cruising through the older pages during lunch lately. I realized that there were a lot of stories that weren't on the archive and almost seven years of the Fanfic TOC isn't searchable.

I've debated putting a link to the TOC page when posting on older stories so that would be searchable and anyone interested could follow the new link. Does that make sense, or would it be annoying, particularly for stories on the Archive?
Posted By: Annie B. Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 08/09/15 12:37 PM
I'd like to see links to the TOCs of these older stories when readers give FDK. I see the FDK and wonder where the story is.
Posted By: Mike M Re: FDK: Friends and Lovers - 08/09/15 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Shallowford
Yeah. I've deliberately been cruising through the older pages during lunch lately. I realized that there were a lot of stories that weren't on the archive and almost seven years of the Fanfic TOC isn't searchable.

There are a large number of stories here that never were archived (the author had to compile them and send them to LabRat). The two you mentioned recently were in the archive. I actually also find a large number of old stories in the archive but the original postings in the boards (if there ever were any) are not available due to board upgrades losing stories, posting to other sites that have been taken down, etc. I always wonder what the FDK was like for some of the older stories (1998-2002 era).

Thanks for pulling these up and getting me back where I started (the archives).

Mike
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards