Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Krissie FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/19/04 08:21 AM
Well, I've just read both parts of your story, Roger, and all I can say is that you are one big softie! smile Also, this is proof positive, as if there were ever any doubt, that guys can write romance.

The first part is good -- waffy, happy, sentimental -- but it was the second part that left me staring at my computer with a big, soppy smile on my face. goofy

First -- and foremost -- I love what you did with Clark's apartment and the whole holiday thing. That was delightfully original. Then, that last line was so, so perfect.

So, to you for writing this and for Kaethel for inspiring it, thank you both very, very much!

Chris (who still doesn't understand what Arbor Day is)
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/19/04 08:34 AM
lol, Happy Arbor Day! This is wonderful, Roger. Lois took care of business with Dan -- for a moment, you had me worried that Clark might have been playing stalker-boy again and would have seen that last kiss and gone into jealous fits... thank goodness you didn't <g> And I love the idea of him giving her the truth as a present, especially as represented by the globe.

You and Kae have to chat more often! goofy

PJ
Posted By: daneel Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/19/04 08:51 AM
smile1
Posted By: Supes1fan Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/19/04 10:01 AM
Very nice Roger! A nice, warm and fuzzy fic on a snowy day!

~Liz
Posted By: Kaethel Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/19/04 11:27 AM
Awww, Roger! That was so sweet! goofy

But in the meantime, I intend to discuss my WIP-related frustrations with you a lot more often if it makes you write things like this lovely fanfic. smile

Thank you so much for sharing it!

Kaethel smile
Posted By: Gabriele Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/19/04 11:46 AM
Beautiful story! party

But what's "Arbor Day"? The day when one plants trees, says my dictionary, but why is it a holiday?

Happy birthday, Kaethel!
Posted By: gerry Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/19/04 12:12 PM
What a delightful story. I thought that the gift of the globe was a perfect one for Clark to give Lois. It also gave him the opportunity for him to tell her more about himself.

Good idea to celebrate trees. We need them.

gerry
Hi,

Beautiful story. thumbsup

MAF thumbsup
Posted By: Vicki Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/19/04 02:37 PM
notworthy Wonderful story, Roger!

I loved this from start to finish, but most of all, I loved the revelation. It wasn't a confession, it was a gift. A gift of love to Lois. Now, *that* is romantic! <sigh>

- Vicki
Just finished reading both parts, Roger. What a nice story! smile

Also, this is proof positive, as if there were ever any doubt, that guys can write romance.
My thoughts exactly, Chris smile

Back to the story:

He grinned at her. "I asked you, 'Don’t you just love Christmas, Lois?' You answered, 'It's okay. It's a very nice holiday like Fourth of July or Arbor Day.' I then asked you, 'Are you comparing Christmas to Arbor Day?' And you told me, 'No, I'm not comparing them. They're both holidays and they're both... fine.'"

Both of her eyebrows went up. "I don't understand."

"What's today, Lois?"

"April 28, 1995. What's so special about today?"

Clark's grin grew even wider. "Today's Arbor Day."
LOL! laugh

Very well done!! thumbsup
Keep writing.
AnnaBtG.

P.S.: I also would like to know what the 'Arbor Day' is.
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/19/04 06:27 PM
"Wow," exclaimed Clark.
"Yeah. Wow," said Lois.
"Wow", uttered AnKS. goofy

Sweet story. Another instance of modulus revelation thumbsup laugh dance
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/19/04 07:45 PM
Aw Roger this was very sweet. Your girl/wife whoever she is must be a very lucky girl<g> laura
Posted By: Tank Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/19/04 08:28 PM
Roger! What happened?

That wasn't evil. It was, was... sweet; and, and... waffy.

I don't get it.

Tank (who figures that Roger just mentioned Lois' long hair to appease Kae, since it was her birthday fic, and not because he thinks that she looks best that way)
Posted By: TriciaW Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/20/04 01:54 AM
Roger

A wonderful story! smile1
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tricia cool
Posted By: Saskia Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/20/04 06:22 AM
Aww, Roger, that was very waffy and sweet. smile The idea to use Arbor Day with Christmas decorations was original. I like it! Even though I'm not completely sure yet I know what Arbor Day is.

I just have one tiny worry. Great, all those waffs, but what happened to you? Do be aware of your reputation. wink

Saskia
Posted By: Wendymr Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/20/04 07:42 AM
Aww! Lovely Part 2, Roger - not at all what I expected, but WAFFy and romantic all the same. Nice work! We'll have to revoke that evil label of yours now! goofy

Okay, for all of us who simply haven't a clue... what the heck is Arbor Day?? huh

Wendy smile
Posted By: RL Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/20/04 07:53 AM
Hi all! I'm stopping in briefly because there seems to be a burning question on what Arbor Day is. It is a holiday to celebrate the planting of trees. It's not a major holiday, as seen by Lois' ignorance as to when the holiday actually takes place, which is generally the last Friday of April. Kids don't get the day off and neither do banks (who seem to get everything off). I would put it on par with Groundhog Day in its importance, but more people seem to know when that is than when Arbor Day takes place. smile

There's actually a National Arbor Day Foundation that tells the history of the holiday and the various ways people celebrate it. And apparently, this holiday is not just confined to the United States.

The link to the National Arbor Day Foundation is at:

The National Arbor Day Foundation

And here's their link for the holiday's history:

This History of Arbor Day
Roger,

As I told you before when I beta read this, I think you have a really cute idea. This story was so sweet and so WAFFy -- you are definitely going to have to lose that Evil label.

This was a beautiful revelation. And what a creative use of the globe! thumbsup

- Laura

PS: For anyone who doesn't know about Arbor Day, I found this site. Actually, I knew it was a day where people plant trees, but I never knew anything more about it. So please don't get the idea that all Americans go out and celebrate this holiday. I don't even know when Arbor day is! I have always thought that the analogy Lois made to Arbor Day was that it was a holiday she didn't really care about, and Christmas was the same way. huh
Posted By: Julia Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/21/04 11:03 AM
Wow, that went surprisingly smooth wink

Very sweet and waffy!! blush

Julia smile
Posted By: Crazy_Babe Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/21/04 01:35 PM
Awww...too cute 4 words
Posted By: lynnm Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/22/04 07:55 AM
Roger - what a lovely ending to a great story!

Some of my favorite parts:

"Oh, god. I always know what to say. Why don't I know what to say? Yes, I know. Dan, wecan'tseeeachotheranymorebecauseI'minlovewithClark!" She winced and looked up at a dazed Dan.
I was ROTFLOL on this - thinking of Lois just blurting it out like ripping the bandaid off as fast as she could. Poor Dan!

And this:
With satisfaction, she put on a pair of tight jeans with brown belt and a gold, heart-shaped pendant worn on the outside of the sweater to complete the ensemble.
What a very lovely outfit wink You have great taste!!!

Also love the way Lois reacted to Clark's revelation. The stunned "no feeling" at first makes sense, as she allows her brain to digest what he's telling her. And I love that she listens to him rather than going off all crazy mad first. That's my favorite kind of Lois.

And then you give us such a lovely promising ending. All in all, a very satisfying Arbor Day story that had my heart all gooey.

Thanks for sharing,
Lynn
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/22/04 11:44 AM
Ah, that's gotta be the best Arbor Day story I've ever read! laugh

Great stuff, Roger!

PJ
Posted By: RL Re: FDK: Every Day's a Holiday... (2/2) - 03/29/04 10:30 AM
Thank you all for such wonderful comments and for reading my story!

First of all, Happy Birthday, Kae, in another few days! I'm glad you liked your present? I think Lois liked hers, too. smile

Well, I've just read both parts of your story, Roger, and all I can say is that you are one big softie! Also, this is proof positive, as if there were ever any doubt, that guys can write romance.
Thanks, Chris! I don't know about being a softie, but I mostly wrote this to see if I even could write something waffy and romantic. This probably doesn't indicate a trend since I write whatever seems to come to mind. I have no idea where I got a reputation for evil. huh

Pam, Jose, Gerry, Vicki, Tricia, and Laura:
And I love the idea of him giving her the truth as a present, especially as represented by the globe.
See!! The globe is useful!!
I thought that the gift of the globe was a perfect one for Clark to give Lois. It also gave him the opportunity for him to tell her more about himself.
I loved this from start to finish, but most of all, I loved the revelation. It wasn't a confession, it was a gift. A gift of love to Lois. Now, *that* is romantic!
The idea of using the globe as a present is excellent. So WAFFy!
This was a beautiful revelation. And what a creative use of the globe!
I'm glad you liked how the revelation went. Since I was using Arbor Day as a Christmas substitute, it followed that Clark should give Lois a gift. The gift just worked for what he had to tell her. And I think it helped to make the revelation fairly low-angst since it was clear that Clark was giving her this gift out of love. I always thought Lois was a softie, herself, underneath her tough exterior.

For those who asked about what Arbor Day is, I hope the links provided by Laura and me were useful.

Thanks so much to Kaethel for giving me the inspiration for this story by being late with her Christmas story. I just thought it was a great premise given what Lois had said in "Season's Greedings." And it just happens Arbor Day is only in another short month from now. smile

LauraC wrote:
Your girl/wife whoever she is must be a very lucky girl<g>
I certainly hope she thinks so. I know I'm a very lucky guy to have such a wonderful wife. smile

Tank wrote:
Roger! What happened?

That wasn't evil. It was, was... sweet; and, and... waffy.

I don't get it.
Tank, what made you think I was evil? If anything, I like to do the unexpected, whether it's evil or not. Since you had this reaction, I guess I was successful. wink Now don't tell me you've never written anything waffy. We all know better.

Wendy wrote:
Aww! Lovely Part 2, Roger - not at all what I expected, but WAFFy and romantic all the same.
Now I'm really curious what you were actually expecting.

Lynn wrote:
I was ROTFLOL on this - thinking of Lois just blurting it out like ripping the bandaid off as fast as she could. Poor Dan!
Writing babbling Lois is one of my favorite things to do in L&C fanfic. Glad you liked it.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With satisfaction, she put on a pair of tight jeans with brown belt and a gold, heart-shaped pendant worn on the outside of the sweater to complete the ensemble.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a very lovely outfit You have great taste!!!
Thank you. smile Of course our conversation on IRC about what Lois should be wearing had absolutely nothing to do with this. NOT! rotflol

Pam wrote:
Ah, that's gotta be the best Arbor Day story I've ever read!
Makes me wonder now how many Arbor Day stories you have read.

Thanks to Chris, Pam, Jose, Liz, Kaethel, Gabriele, Gerry, Maria, Vicki, Anna, AnKS, LauraC, Tank, Tricia, Saskia, Wendy, LauraU, Julia, Crazy_Babe, Lynn, and Pam again for all your wonderful comments!
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards