Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Tank COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/14/04 11:57 AM
Okay, I felt before I slipped quietly into my retirement, that I'd best write my one TOGoM story for the year, and get it out of the way.

I'd like to acknowledge the classic works of BB Medos as a partial inspiration. It was in one of Beverly's stories where I first came across the doodled glasses on a picture of Superman revelation trigger.

Any comments, complaints, fresh fruit or vegatables can go here.

Tank (who would be interested to hear what the gentle readers think that Lois and Clark will come up with this time)
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/14/04 12:20 PM
<snicker>

Cute idea! I figured there was something up with all the evasive could-mean-anything language at the beginning, but it was still fun to watch it all unfold smile

PJ
Posted By: Wendymr Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/14/04 12:33 PM
ROFL!!! Now there's a new twist on TOGOM, Tank! Lois is shown up in the observation department by her own sister! goofy

Now, when can we expect to see your next story? wink

Wendy smile
Posted By: ChaaBreh Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/14/04 12:35 PM
Tank who are you kidding? You can't retire...it's in your blood to write FANFIC!

Interesting idea having Lucy be the one to figure out that Clark is Superman. I loved her conversation with Martha~~ LMAO.

AS to what they will come up with...I like the idea that Superman disguised himself as Clark Kent!! HA HA
Hi,

Great piece. drool
Posted By: Melisa Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/14/04 01:47 PM
Great Story.

Melisa
Posted By: HatMan Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/14/04 02:00 PM
hee-hee. fun, tank. smile lucy knows and lois doesn't and lucy just assumed lois would have figured it out... priceless scene. nice ending, too, with most, if not all, of the explanations that have shown up in other fics. wonder what they'll come up with this time.

hmm... i guess that would require a sequel, wouldn't it? good thing you're retired, then. you'll have plenty of time to write. evil

great story. smile

Paul
Posted By: Helga Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/14/04 02:01 PM
Tank,

Good story jump

It was interesting to see the usual Lois and Clark 'discussion' from another person's perspective...

I had a niggling feeling that Lucy should've quietly slipped out of the room out of politeness once the 'discussion' had started. But you know, if I'd been in that situation I'd have wanted to watch the fireworks too wink

Helga
Posted By: Julie S Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/14/04 04:02 PM
"Martha? Sorry to be waking you at this hour. Yes, this is Lois. Please don't talk, just listen. I assume *he's* there now, and if he isn't he probably soon will be. As soon as you see him, tell him to fly his shiny red butt over to my place. I'm awake, and I'll be waiting. He has a lot of explaining to do."
whinging whinging rotflol

I can't help but imagine Martha laughing like a loon after recieving a phone call like that.

Great story!

Julie
Posted By: Laurach Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/14/04 06:05 PM
Very cute story. Loved the phone call to Martha too. Good job. Laura
Posted By: IreneD Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/14/04 06:14 PM
rotflol

Good job, Tank!

Irene
Posted By: Supes1fan Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/14/04 07:10 PM
VERY fun read Tank!

Still laughing at the 'shiny red butt' comment!

rotflol

~Liz
lol, great fic Tank thumbsup
Posted By: RL Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/15/04 02:22 AM
You should retire every day, Tank. Gives you lots of time to produce fic for us to read. smile

Nice angle with Lucy being far more observant than her sister, who's supposed to be the observant one in the family.

There's only one thing I would have liked better. It would have been terribly amusing to actually watch the whole fight from Lucy's perspective, rather than told through her after-the-fact introspection. Maybe an epilogue might be in order? And no, I'm not writing it this time. smile

Keep writing, Tank. We need you to hold up the guys' end of the fic-writing (so the rest of us can retire wink ).
Posted By: daneel Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/15/04 06:50 AM
New angle on ToGoM!! smile

Fantastic story!! smile1
Posted By: Krissie Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/15/04 07:17 AM
Hi Tank

Along with everyone else, I want to say "Great story!"

I, too, liked the "shiny red butt" line, but that wasn't, surprisingly enough, my favourite in the story. My favourite line?

She was aghast. Lucy had never seen Lois this upset before. Not even when their father had walked out for good.
Okay, so it doesn't provoke a laugh and it's certainly not central to the story. What it does do, though, is in ten words show the wealth of shared experience the two sisters have. It's a wonderfully understated way of showing how close they are.

Re Roger's comment:
There's only one thing I would have liked better. It would have been terribly amusing to actually watch the whole fight from Lucy's perspective, rather than told through her after-the-fact introspection.
I have to disagree here. I thought your telling this part of the story in flashback worked very well. I've seen all the arguments and rages in fanfics before; I probably would have got bored seeing them rehashed once again. As it was, I could imagine them perfectly well without seeing them written out word for word. This way, we get a clear summary of everything that has been said as well as Lucy's response to it.

All told, I liked it, but I think you've worked that out already, right? smile

Chris
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/15/04 10:08 AM
Lucy gasped as she took in the forlorn, disheveled woman sitting on the edge of her couch. Lois had clearly been out during the evening since she was still wearing a stylish red dress. But now it looked almost as if she had slept in it. Her hands were shredding a tissue. A large pile of similar tissues littered the floor in front of her. The half empty box was next to her on the couch. Lois' face was tear-streaked, and her eyes were red and puffy from what had obviously been a long crying jag. She knelt down in front of the distraught woman and gently began to wipe her sister's cheeks with her thumbs. She was aghast. Lucy had never seen Lois this upset before. Not even when their father had walked out for good.
Lois' external appearances absolutely hint to her internal chaos and grief-stricken plight.

Feeling the hot prick of her own tears beginning to form in the back of her eyes, Lucy had to take a breath before she could speak. "It's okay, Lois, it's me Luce. Can you tell me what's wrong?"
Very poignant!

Definitely a unique TOGOM variant and very interesting. thumbsup
Posted By: Hazel Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/15/04 12:32 PM
Tank's dislike for Jimmy seems to be in direct proportion to his admiration for Lucy. laugh I will concede that he did kill her off once, but Lucy usually does come out looking verrry good in Tankfics!

Great little story, Tank. I continue to be utterly astonished that there are still new twists to TOGOM out there. When's the next one? goofy

Hazel
Posted By: LabRat Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/15/04 01:07 PM
You know I could have been first to leave a comment on this one...if I hadn't been laughing too hard when I read it last night to leave fdk.

rotflol

Loved it! Original, cute and a lot of fun.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Mister Data Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/15/04 08:11 PM
I think this is a thinly veiled challenge to his favorite BR to come up with a solution...

What do you think y'all? Should a certain someone by the initials WR take up the cause?

James
Posted By: Bumpkin Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/15/04 09:03 PM
Tank,

A hoot! You had me grinning away as I read it and I can say that its been the most original take on TOGoM yet.(It would have to be by now wouldn't it?) dizzy

Anyway, you can't retire, if you leave us hanging on how you ended To Serve and Protect we are just going to have to come to Minn and hunt you down and waff torture you till you write the sequel! wildguy wildguy wildguy
Posted By: Tank Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/16/04 05:17 PM
Okay, lets see if I can wade through some of the comments.

First off, there seems to be some confusion as to what this story was. I write this sad, emotionally angst-ridden vignette and everyone says they thought is was funny. The gentle readers seem to have a twisted idea of what humor.

Also, there seems to be some confusion as to my retirement. I'm not retired from working for a living (in fact I had to work an 18 hour day yesterday) just so I can write more fanfiction. I'm retiring from fanfic so all the new writers coming into their own on the boards have more room to showcase their stuff. Aren't I just the most noble guy. You know what they say about me. I'm just a darn nice guy.

This also brings up Wendy's comment about what would be next... peace? Actually, the only thing I've had any thoughts on would be a sequel to 'To Protect and Serve', because I think I just might have left a tiny, niggling, unresolved thread or two, but probably not. But, I don't think it would be a good idea to waste a lot of time writing another loooong story that no one really wants to read.

Now, as for this story. I'm glad that some of you liked the handling of the 'argument' as a flashback recapsulization as Lucy lay in bed. We've all seen just about every version of this 'fight' that can be imagined, from loud and accusitory, to restrained and forgiving. I didn't want to bore everyone by trotting that out again.

Also this was by no means a 'hidden' challenge for Wendy. Again, we've all seen dozens of different 'miraculous' cures for Clark's deadness so I didn't think it would be necessary to invent another strange way to do it. That wasn't the point of the story, nor did I plan a 'punchline'. I thought it would be more fun to let the gentle readers provide their own miracle return. Actually I kind of like ChaaBreh's idea of Superman going in disguise as Clark. I also think that it would be fun if Lucy was the one who came up with it. That would fit in with the general tone of the story.

Time to get comfy in my Herman Miller Ambi office chair, which I got cheap (an advantage of working for a company that installs office furniture), and sit in front of my computer screen and read fanfic. So get writing out there.

Tank (who admits that he likes the concept of Lucy Lane even if she hasn't always been done very well in the various medium)
Posted By: abe Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/17/04 06:04 PM
This comes a bit late but I just want to post comments as often as I can to show my appreciation to the writers.

I loved this Tank! thumbsup I never get tired of reading different takes on TOGOM. I also enjoy reading how writers depict Lucy Lane since her character wasn't really developed in the series.

Looking forward to your next fic.
Posted By: TriciaW Re: COMMENTS: That Blind Sister of Mine - 03/18/04 12:12 AM
Tank

Great idea, LOL! smile1
I enjoyed it immensely. I look forward to reading your next one.

Tricia cool
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards