Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: AntiKryptonite FDK: That's Who He is - 02/01/11 10:43 PM
Just a short little story that came out of nowhere and almost wrote itself, but I'd love to know what you think--never tried first person/present tense before. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Posted By: Female Hawk Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/01/11 11:00 PM
That was lovely. /happy sigh/

You've pinned down all the facets of Clark and explored them thoroughly - and in such an accurate but almost poetic way.

I love how you wove the little details that we're all familiar with into the fabric of the story.

Wonderful!

Corrina.
Posted By: bellarase Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/02/11 12:17 AM
Oh this was amazing! It gave me chills in some parts. You managed to nail down sooo much of what makes Clark (and Lois) so fascinating to us. Thank you!!!
Posted By: EvelynC Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/02/11 12:22 AM
I ditto Corrina
That was lovely. /happy sigh/ ...
Wonderful read thumbsup
Posted By: mozartmaid Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/02/11 12:26 AM
I second Bellarese--I also got chills!

The first word in every one of those sentences is probably the key. Clark looked at everything and saw me. That wasn't the problem. The problem was that so did I.
Well done!!

So beautifully written--and crystallizes what I think we all hope Lois saw. I like how you justify him not telling her before he froze her--that has had a lot of FOLCs upset before.

But this makes so much sense:
I know he would be hurt if he had told me and I had lashed out at him with shock and anger and hurt--as I probably would have done--because that's the kind of person I am. This way, I still trust him, and he doesn't have to remember any of the horrible things I probably would have shouted at him.
Beautiful story!! Hope you have more up your sleeve to share!! clap
Posted By: ccmalo Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/02/11 04:48 AM
Beautiful, Just beautiful. Lovely - both a rambling and yet focused musing that makes sense in that delirious twilight as Lois comes in from the cold.

carol
Posted By: EmilyC Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/02/11 09:25 AM
Beautiful look at Lois' thoughts on Clark as their relationship progresses.

I've never felt like I couldn't walk over to Clark's place, knock on the door or pick the lock, and walk right in.
This made me chuckle. (emphasis mine)

The first word in every one of those sentences is probably the key. Clark looked at everything and saw me. That wasn't the problem. The problem was that so did I.
Spot-on introspection.

Thanks for sharing. thumbsup
Posted By: DW Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/02/11 09:53 AM
Wow ... that was really beautiful and I'll second Corrina too clap
Posted By: Vicki Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/02/11 11:13 AM
Emily already quoted the two passages I was going to quote.

As others have said, "awwww". This was just beautiful. Very, very nice. thumbsup

I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/02/11 11:24 AM
Ditto what everyone else says.

It takes a talented author to write a piece of fiction with absolutely no plot and still hold the audience's attention. You did it in spades. Well done!

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/02/11 03:38 PM
Excellent way to show us how Clark changes in Lois' eyes over time.

This line always bothered me in the series:
I saw enough to realize chocolate was oh so much better than rocky road.
That always seemed to imply that Clark was dull while Dan was so much more exciting. I never saw it that way. But you've expanded on this to explain that Clark was steady, dependable. Not boring. But he wasn't going away.

Great story!

Joan
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/03/11 11:09 AM
I loved this! It was perfect!
Posted By: AntiKryptonite Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/03/11 12:36 PM
Thanks to everyone who left their comments on this story. I was a bit leery about doing a story set in this period since so many others have done a great job on this scene as well, but I really enjoyed writing it.

I've always loved the way Lois reacted to finding out that Superman is Clark--I was so glad she didn't get majorly angry at him. I thought she grew up a lot to be able to react the way she did. She saw a lot in Clark by this point because he showed her his 'true colors.' But I guess I don't need to say that after the story. smile

Thanks again for reading and commenting. I'm glad you all enjoyed!
Posted By: BrenRen Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/10/11 07:08 AM
This is a work of beauty and art, and I love it so much I couldn't read it just once! In fact, I'm sure I'll be re-reading it many, many times to come in the future... especially any time I go back and watch that last second-season episode. Thanks for so beautifully highlighting Lois's thoughts and growth over the many moons she came to know Clark Kent!
Posted By: AntiKryptonite Re: FDK: That's Who He is - 02/10/11 11:38 AM
Thanks for the kind words! It's always flattering when someone wants to read your work more than just the once. And don't you just love that episode? Definitely one of my favorites.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards