Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Female Hawk FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 01:07 AM
I hope you liked it!

Corrina.
Posted By: mozartmaid Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 05:56 AM
This was GREAT! I had a feeling I knew where it was going when first read 'Scrabble,' but I got WAFFs all over the place just the same! And the little plaque about the words not behaving---did you make that up or does that exist someplace? Super cute! laugh

Anyway, hope your friend has an excellent birthday!!
Joyeux Anniversaire! Tanti Aguri! Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! jump
Posted By: robinson Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 07:09 AM
That was so sweet and wonderfully waffy! I loved it

Kathy
www.chili-everyway.com
Posted By: lovesuper97 Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 07:39 AM
i wonder who it's for....... peep lol
Love the story!!!
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 07:40 AM
Thank you, Corrina.

I've never had a birthday fic written for me before. It was *perfect*! I really appreciate all the personalized touches (e.g., the plaque, Scrabble, Chinese food) in the story, as well.

You have positively made my birthday. smile1 I wish I had the words to tell you how touched I am by this gesture...But they just aren't playing nice right now.

Thanks again.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: lovesuper97 Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 08:50 AM
happy birthday lynn party
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 12:05 PM
Happy birthday, Lynn!

And great fic, Corrina! I love how Lois tried to win by making up any words she could, but Clark would only spell words that showed his love for Lois. This was adorable:

"Are you fully committed to winning this game?" she asked.

He met her eyes and dwelled there for a moment that seemed to stretch forever. "Totally committed," he said.
Aaawwwwww!!!

Ann
Posted By: DW Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 12:26 PM
Firstly, happy, happy birthday Lynn! party

Secondly, Corinna, great and super cute fic and my favourite part was

She'd opened it ... curious, and not completely able to quell her fears that this would be a joke that turned on her. Her qualms had been unfounded. Pushing back the wrapping had revealed a little desk plaque that read - "Words are my toys ... but sometimes they just won't play nice."

It was the accompanying picture that had captured and held Lois's attention. A cute dark-haired girl stood with her hands on her hips as she regarded - with abject frustration - her just-tumbled-down tower of letter blocks.

Yet, despite being grumpy and probably within a heartbeat of losing her cool, the little girl had an endearing naturalness that made you want to take her into your arms and shower her with understanding.
smile
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 12:40 PM
Sweet fic, Corrina! Particularly liked the plague and picture. Completely Lois laugh Have to admit, the 'I Love You' was totally out of the blue. I fully expected Clark to simply spell out 'Happy Birthday'.

Happy Birthday, Lynn!

Michael
Posted By: EvelynC Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 01:08 PM
Wonderful story!
clap
Happy Birthday, Lynn!! party
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 03:45 PM
Oh, so sweet a story. I bet Lois will have a happy birthday from now on!
Great fic!
cool
Artemis
Posted By: Rac Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 04:59 PM
Clark Kent cheats at Scrabble! Also, aw. This was sweet and wonderfully written.

Rac
Posted By: Kyla Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 06:18 PM
Happy Birthday!
Posted By: elizabeth Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 06:36 PM
That was so totally brilliant... I smiled from beginning to end! I loved it, every word!

Happy Birthday, Lynn.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 07:24 PM
My thanks to all for the birthday wishes.

Corrina, I have re-read this story a couple times today. And now that the day is almost over, I will say publicly for certain what I had said tentatively in a private e-mail this morning: This was definitely the best present I received today. Thank you!

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: amberlea Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/13/10 07:46 PM
Hooray for happy birthday fic! Best wishes to Lynn, and thank you Female Hawk!

Amber smile
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/14/10 08:18 PM
I loved it!
Posted By: bobbart Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/16/10 12:47 AM
This was a great short.

Happy Birthday, Lynn.

Bob
Posted By: Female Hawk Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/16/10 04:17 AM
Thanks to everyone who read and commented on this story. It's great that others (besides Lynn) enjoyed it.

Re the message on the plaque. I searched for a saying that would tie in Lynn's love of words with Lois's job as a reporter, and also give a little more foundation for the budding Lois-Clark relationship. I couldn't find anything. I can't completely guarantee that I didn't read it somewhere a long time ago, but AFAIK it's original.

Lynn - I'm so glad my fic added to you having a good birthday. It was a fun fic to write.

Corrina.
Posted By: IncompleteSong Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/17/10 09:08 AM
So this is the first story I've read here on the boards...and wow, what a way to start!! I loved Clark's gift to her last year; that saying is so perfectly Lois! You did a great job of getting inside Lois's head, showing us the pain she was feeling at first, with no one remembering her birthday, and her regrets about Clark. And the Scrabble game was a stroke of genius - perfect way to stick with the theme of "words," and I love how you planned it all out, right down to the words they each used and their positions on the board! Finally, when he laid down the "I love you," I have to admit my heart let out a little "squee!" Too sweet for words! <3 And I laughed out loud at the last line...way to throw in the Big Revelation as well!

And Happy [belated] Birthday to Lynn! smile
Posted By: Deja Vu Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/18/10 12:15 PM
First, I'd like to wish a very belated happy birthday to Lynn!

Secondly-- Corrina, that was wonderful! I still have a goofy grin on my face while thinking about this story! That was very sweet of Clark, and I loved how you did the story from Lois's POV. The bit about the little girl and words is precious--and Clark's cheating at Scrabble really worked out wonderfully! Hehehe. And hahaha @ the ending. Great, great story! laugh
Posted By: Female Hawk Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/18/10 06:35 PM
Welcome Monica. Wow, I'm honoured that my fic was the first you read - and that you enjoyed it. Keep reading - there are some great fics on these boards.

perfect way to stick with the theme of "words,"
Lynn is a linguist!

Thanks DJV.
Posted By: HappyGirl Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 07/23/10 10:30 PM
clap Delightful! clap
Posted By: Shallowford Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 04/03/14 06:17 PM
Saw the title on the Childhood Toys thread. Loved it. One of the best revelations (of Clark's feelings) I've read. Way better direction than the show took.
Posted By: Tailee Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 06/09/14 10:11 AM
Reading this story at 3am in the morning is not conducive to dry eyes, or going back to sleep quickly. But, I'm sure I'll be dreaming much better than I was. smile
Posted By: Female Hawk Re: FDK - The Gift of Words - 06/09/14 10:47 PM
Thanks HG, Shallowford, and Tailee. I'm glad you liked this old story. 3am, Tailee - wow!

It's funny that this story's feedback thread has been revived now because I'm currently working on another story for Lynn (the one she won in the recent auction.)

Corrina.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards