Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Rac The Long Road Home Part 31 - Comments - 03/09/10 07:56 PM
Thoughts?
Posted By: EvelynC Re: The Long Road Home Part 31 - Comments - 03/09/10 09:18 PM
Wow! mecry
Wow! Is right. i mean i'm speechless mecry
Posted By: DW Re: The Long Road Home Part 31 - Comments - 03/10/10 05:49 AM
Yeah, wow! smile

Clark should have expected Lois' reaction to be what is was and it was very clever of Dr. Friskin to ask Clark what he would have done if Lois had been in his shoes and how he would then have reacted.
Very good stuff! clap Sorry, but I'm not really up for more right now smirk

Michael
Posted By: TOC Re: The Long Road Home Part 31 - Comments - 03/12/10 12:50 AM
I'm having all kinds of computer problems at home, and I only have time to write a little bit here at work.

This was another wonderful and harrowing part, Rac.

I'm reminded of soldiers who have spent years at war away from home. During those years they have learnt to be soldiers, to deal with pain and death, and to cause pain and death themselves. But they have forgotten how to be at peace and how to live an ordinary life at home. At home, others have filled their shoes. When they return home they are not needed, and they have to fight their invisible demons in a world that doesn't understand them.

I know, I know - this has been said millions of times before. But your story makes it so heartbreakingly clear.

Clark needs to believe that even if the world has gone on without him, there is still a place for him at home. Yes, more than that. He is needed at home. Lois needs him. So does Jon. He has to believe that.

He is needed. And he is not worthless as a husband and a father. On the contrary, he is irreplaceable as Lois's husband and Jon's father.

And, of course, it isn't as if the world couldn't use him as a superhero.

Ann
Posted By: Rac Re: The Long Road Home Part 31 - Comments - 03/15/10 08:38 PM
Thanks for your comments, everyone. I'm glad to see by the short and sweet feedback that you liked this part, Evelyn, Lovesuper, DW, and Michael. I agree that it was a good turn on Dr. Friskin's part, even though it was a touch heavy handed of her. Clark wasn't giving her much of a choice.

Ann, thanks for your comments. You are right that much of this story is meant to parallel what happens to anyone who has been off fighting a war for years - the world moves on without them. Their experiences change them. When they return, they often don't 'fit in' the way they used to and that can't be anything but painful. Clark is being forced to find new ways to fit into the world and is having to adjust and adapt to roles that once came very naturally to him. And you're right - he needs to realize that he is not just loved and wanted. He is needed.

More is on its way.

Regards,

Rac
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards