Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: MLT FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/04/10 06:54 PM
Sorry, I was watching the Scotties Tournament of Hearts (the Canadian women’s curling championship) yesterday and listening to Jennifer Jones yell, ‘hurry, hurry, hard, hard, haaaarrrddd’ and the computer was sitting open on my lap and... well, this just sort of came out <g>.

ML wave
Posted By: carolm Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/04/10 07:01 PM
Told you it wouldn't be enough...

You're evil.

And for that I think I shall, um... avoid ML fic wouldn't be a good answer... I'm already not writing fic so threatening to withhold that won't work [not that you read wips anyway wink ]. I could promise TO write, but am working on OF...'

Whatever it is I can threaten with, consider it threatened wink .
Posted By: elizabeth Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/04/10 07:08 PM
LOL - if that's for reading during a snowstorm it'll be the shortest-lasting blizzard I've ever heard of! laugh

Much as I was tempted to peek at the last paragraph or so to find out what was REALLY going on inside, I made myself read it through to the end without cheating. And I must say I would never have guessed it was a curling game ... maybe because I've never watched one to know what gets yelled out!

Good bit of fun. Now.... how 'bout some more adventures of LnC on that certain deserted island, huh? Please? smile1

Elizabeth

PS - wish we were getting snow! It's so HOT here I can't wait to take our boat out on the river to get some cool air rushing past! We are in the midst of our best summer in years! laugh
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/04/10 09:25 PM
That was hysterically funny! And it's a good thing that the Olympics are coming up, so we can see the world-class curlers do their thing.

For those who are unfamiliar with curling: check this link.
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/04/10 09:44 PM
Clark was watching a women's curling game! That's hysterical!

[Linked Image]

(And hey, it's good fun to watch a bit of curling, too! laugh But I guess a might to want to borrow one of those brooms to sweep away some of the snow that has accumulated here...) frown

Ann
Posted By: ccmalo Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/05/10 05:55 AM
It's a sport based on BROOMS and SWEEPING, people! It's a con to brainwash us into thinking housework is... fun! And they even made it an Olympic sport. Beware! Who knows what THEY will do next.

(I already gave this advice to ML, but nooo .... she still thinks it's great.
All I can say is rock and hard place.)

very nice vignette though smile

c.
Posted By: Karen Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/05/10 06:24 AM
eek People get that excited over *curling*???? peep LOL, definitely not what I expected.
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/05/10 07:38 AM
It's a sport based on BROOMS and SWEEPING, people! It's a con to brainwash us into thinking housework is... fun! And they even made it an Olympic sport. Beware! Who knows what THEY will do next.
Ah, but it was invented by men who got chased out of the house by their wives!
BTW, "hammer" threw me in the title since they use "brooms!"
We've even watched curling and it can be quite entertaining actually.
Cute story.
LOL
Artemis
Posted By: HappyGirl Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/05/10 11:17 AM
When I got to the end, all I could think was, "Leave it to a Canadian..." goofy
Posted By: MLT Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/05/10 12:03 PM
if that's for reading during a snowstorm it'll be the shortest-lasting blizzard I've ever heard of!
Or I assume you are all really, really slow readers. laugh

And it's a good thing that the Olympics are coming up, so we can see the world-class curlers do their thing.
I think they should cancell all the other sports and just have the curling. Now that would be a good olympics. After all, who wants to watch people with boards attached to their feet jump off cliffs when they can watch people puzzle their way through a curling game? laugh

Well, I still maintain that you missed an excellent curling game last night, Carol. But you still have a chance to make it up to yourself. Turn on TSN today at 3:00 and you can catch Ontario play Manitoba in a tie breaker. And, I'll have you know, the Ontario team this year is from Thunder Bay - plays at the same curling club that I played at in University. (Hey, what can I say? I'm a Canadian.)

People get that excited over *curling*????
Actually, the things being yelled are instructions to the sweepers. Hard is telling the sweepers to brush harder. So is hurry. Not yet, means, as you might guess, don't sweep yet.

And actually, curling is the one civilized sport in the world. No one ever boos a shot. They clap for the good shots - even if they are made by the other team. And at the end of the game, everyone shakes hands and says: good game or thanks for the game. It's considered very bad form not to do so. (Unlike Canada's other sport, hockey, where people seem to keep trying to kill each other.)

BTW, "hammer" threw me in the title since they use "brooms!"
A hammer in curling is the term used for last shot. But I wanted a title that was about curling without making it obvious until you'd read the story what it was about.

"Leave it to a Canadian..."
I can do hockey stories, too. laugh

ML wave
Posted By: KathyB Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/05/10 12:15 PM
LOL, when I finished, I thought, "Oh, ML, you're such a Canadian." goofy

I actually may be one of the few Americans on this board who grew up watching curling -- I grew up in the Detroit suburbs, and we got a Windsor TV station as one of our locals. (Remember the days before cable, when you actually -- gasp! -- got your signal over the airwaves? wink ) So when there was nothing else on, I would watch curling ... boredom is a powerful thing. wink

Needless to say, next time I see it, I will be listening more closely to what they are yelling, LOL.

Kathy
Posted By: MLT Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/05/10 01:46 PM
If you want to see one great curling shot, together with Jennifer Jones yelling 'hard', take a look at this youtube video.

Curling shot

ML wave
Posted By: elizabeth Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/05/10 02:28 PM
Well, what an introduction to curling! I didn't realise the person curling slid along the ice as well. And boy, are they excitable people! Now that I have seen that, I can visualise your fic even better, LOL! Thanks!

Elizabeth
Posted By: ccmalo Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/05/10 04:41 PM
ML, clearly you've gone over to the Dark Side.

Who knows what the Olympic Committe will recognise next.

Competive Vaccuuming (Hoovering in Brit-speak) I'm betting.

My only consolation is that it will provide you with another vignette opportunity.

carol evil
Posted By: MLT Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/05/10 05:25 PM
Who knows what the Olympic Committe will recognise next.

Competive Vaccuuming (Hoovering in Brit-speak) I'm betting.
wave
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/05/10 07:36 PM
A hammer in curling is the term used for last shot. But I wanted a title that was about curling without making it obvious until you'd read the story what it was about.
Well, it worked! I didn't know about the term for hammer in curling. Yes, I did notice everyone was extremely polite and cheered for each good shot.
cool
Artemis
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/06/10 03:06 AM
evil

Michael
Posted By: gerry Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/06/10 07:36 AM
Watching curling will never be the same. dizzy
Posted By: carolm Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/12/10 02:54 PM
In my daily trawl through the various news sites, I came across this:

The Science of Curling

And of course I thought of this thread... wink
Posted By: Lote Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/26/10 09:21 PM
ML, LOL, I think you've been watching too much of the curling program. But this was really funny. LOL. Oh, congrats to Canada for getting to the finals.
Posted By: MLT Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/26/10 10:54 PM
Oh, congrats to Canada for getting to the finals.
The Canadian women won silver tonight. It came down to an extra end for the gold and they couldn't quite pull it off. But I think they did great.

The Canadian men will play in the gold/silver game tomorrow - and you know who will be glued to the screen, cheering them on. laugh

ML wave
Posted By: Framework4 Re: FDK - Rocks, Rings and Hammers - 02/27/10 12:21 PM
funny
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards