Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Dandello FDK - Three Rules - 03/06/09 07:05 PM
welcome welcome welcome.

It's a sweet story.
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/06/09 07:27 PM
That was really nice. Not what I was expecting, with that title, but it worked. Shows the power of a simple thank you, or an encouraging word. Very nice.

PJ
Posted By: bellarase Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/06/09 08:20 PM
aww That was great!! i loved seeing clark from a 'stranger's' perspective. Very nice and I hope to see more fic from you soon!
Posted By: countrygurl74 Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/06/09 08:39 PM
Welcome. I really liked this story. It looks like Clark found someone to talk to besides his parents
Posted By: metwin1 Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/06/09 08:42 PM
Lovely! smile
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/06/09 09:23 PM
I saw this on fanfiction.net too, and liked it very much.

What *would* you say if you were a nice person, really, and you found out Clark Kent's secret? You could destroy his life if you blabbed. But you don't really want to. And yet you do have the urge to tell him that you know...and then to realize that you're just one of a thousand victims saved.

And yet, Margaret goes through with everything and says "thank you". And by providence, it comes at a time when Clark really needs that something extra to go on.

A fine story.
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/06/09 10:03 PM
Wow this was really beautiful and a different twist on the same old stuff. I really liked it. Just wonderful! laura
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/06/09 11:44 PM
When you started with "She lived by three rules..." I assumed it was another Lois story. But no, you threw us a wonderful curveball and showed us a real person in the life of Clark Kent, whose own life was saved not by Superman but by Clark. And you showed us something about the real Clark, too. His assertion to Lois that "Clark Kent is who I am, Superman is what I do" rings even more true now.

Thank you for giving us such a lovely vignette. And thanks to Dandello for encouraging you to share this with us. It was a great decision for all of us.

Be sure and submit it to the archive, too! Stories this good should be preserved for future generations of L&C fans.
Posted By: Dandello Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/06/09 11:55 PM
Didn't I tell you they'd love it? clap
Posted By: daneel Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/07/09 02:39 AM
Wonderful smile

The scene with the bus it's a bit underused in fandom wink

J hyper
Posted By: ccmalo Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/07/09 04:13 AM
At first, this story struck me as a tad Mary Sue ish. But it's very well-written and so I kept reading. smile Margaret is a sweet character - very Miss Marple. It's a heart warming story and and it was nice to see Clark Kent saving Superman. I missed Lois Lane in the story, though. So how about a sequel where Margaret helps Lois Lane? At this point in the time line, Lois could sure use it and I'm sure Margaret would come through for her.

c.
Posted By: carolm Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/07/09 08:01 AM
Very nice!

I really enjoyed this very much.

To go with the ccmalo's thought...

Can't you just see Clark bringing Lois to the writer's workshop someday wink ?

Carol
Posted By: BJ Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/07/09 09:44 AM
Let me join with the others and say "Welcome!"

I actually love to see stories from underused characters and the woman that witnessed Clark's super-ness his first day in Metropolis is a prime candidate. I think you did a great job fleshing out her character.

I'm so glad for Clark, that he received her thanks and that it helped him find his feet while he's hurting. Margaret may have dithered for weeks about thanking him, but it's precisely what he needed.

I kept expecting Lois to make an appearance, first as the woman in the bookstore, and then maybe as a member of her novel-writing group. If you do decide to write a sequel, I'd be happy to read it.

Nice job!
Posted By: Rona V. Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/07/09 09:55 AM
This was a lovely story! As others have said, it was very nice to see the development of a character we only saw briefly in the show. The story was also heart-warming; it was nice to see Clark be able to open up to somebody about who he really is - a normal man with a big heart and special powers. Plus, your writing style is wonderful to read. Welcome to the boards! I hope to see more stories from you.
Posted By: Female Hawk Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/07/09 02:59 PM
I have very little time...

But I wanted to say I really enjoyed your story - sweet, original, well-written.

Thanks for posting it.
Posted By: Vicki Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/07/09 03:32 PM
I enjoyed this story very much. clap After reading, but before posting my feedback, the thought occurred to me that I really would like to see a continuation of this story, showing how Lois is doing in this world without a Superman. I notice others have been wondering the same thing. If you ever do decide to write a sequel, I certainly will read it!

That said, the story certainly stands alone, and was a fun read. Thanks for posting, and I hope to see more stories from you soon.

- Vicki

PS - A very minor point. Perhaps, as ccmalo mentions, because Margaret Hart reminded me of Miss Marple, it just seemed to me that she was a rather elderly lady. That didn't fit with the story's mention of her being only 51. But no one else has mentioned this, so perhaps it is only me (who just happens to be 51 myself, which no doubt has something to do with my reaction. smile )
Posted By: anonpip Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/07/09 04:17 PM
This was wonderful. Welcome to the boards.

It was very sweet and I really fell in love with Margaret. She was exactly what Clark needed at that moment and it was sweet to see their interaction.
Posted By: CJ Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/07/09 05:56 PM
That was absolutely lovely. The title kind of threw me; I only clicked on it because I just had time to read a vignette -- but it turned out to be a lucky click! Nice, unusual idea, creating another "mild mannered" character, and looking at Clark and Superman through her eyes. Not just a good idea, but well written, well thought out, and altogether likable. By the end I was just... smiling. smile
Posted By: GamesAway Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/08/09 08:15 AM
Just lovely. Loved the idea of using an almost incidental event and making it more. Too few people take the time to say thank you. I liked the way it helped Clark. I also would love to see a sequel - like Margaret helping Lois too.
Posted By: Scarlett Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/08/09 09:36 PM
Wow, wow, wow! Thank you so much everyone, for the warm welcome and fantastic feedback & comments! I'm so happy you all enjoyed this little story... and even more surprising, would like to see it continued. laugh You certainly are all making me want to write more L&C fic.

Thank you again!

~Scarlett
Posted By: carolm Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/08/09 09:43 PM
Um, now that you've posted you're not allowed to stop.

You do know that right?

Carol
Posted By: Scarlett Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/08/09 10:05 PM
Originally posted by carolm:
Um, now that you've posted you're not allowed to stop.

You do know that right?

Carol
Ah! I'm beginning to see now... I've just been
"initiated", haven't I?

LOL!

Well, that's fine with me. I think I'm officially hooked anyway. devil
Posted By: amberlea Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/09/09 08:58 AM
I loved this story! You did a great job of creating a real person out of an incidental character from the show. I've always wondered about that - the possibility of random people here and there figuring out the secret but realizing the necessity of keeping it that way.

Everything Margaret did and felt was so believable and so easy to relate to.

Like others have said, you'll definitely have to write more!

Amber
Posted By: Sue S. Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/09/09 09:22 AM
Welcome to the boards, Scarlett! As you can see, it's an amazing place to hang out and it just got even more amazing because now we have you. smile1

This was a great story, very original (which 15 years on is hard to do!). Margaret came to life for me and it was enjoyable seeing Clark through new eyes.

“Isn’t it confusing to talk about yourself in the 3rd person all the time?”
Loved how you ended it with a snappy line! clap

I hope we'll see many, many more stories from you. smile
Posted By: Elisabeth Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/09/09 03:54 PM
FRESH MEAT!!!!

Ahem... Now that I have that out of my system...

The title made me think this was an entirely different story than I thought it would be. Clark's responses were also different than I thought it would be. For one thing, I thought it was cute that he would offer her tea when she said she met him in a coffee shop. laugh

I liked this one a lot.

Elisabeth
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/09/09 06:59 PM
This is adorable and wonderfully original. I sincerely hope we see more of your work, Scarlett. And welcome!
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/10/09 03:10 PM
Welcome to the boards, Scarlett.

This was a fun read and the writer's workshop at the end was a hilarious surprise smile

Michael
Posted By: jacalynsue Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/10/09 07:00 PM
This is a true gem. Original, clever, fun to read. I was quite bummed to get to "the end" and realize it was over!

I'd love to see a few short follow up stories that show Clark touching base with his new friend over the next few years.

Jackie
Posted By: Mister Data Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/12/09 08:21 AM
I, too, thought that the title was going to be something else, which actually made me not want to read it.

Lois had three rules and she broke all three of them. I wasn't particularly interested in another rehash of those rules.

However, I didn't notice that it was a new author to the boards. If I had I might have given it a try on that alone.

It was Elisabeth that convinced me to read it. She is my wife and she has almost never lead me wrong on a story.

This was a wonderful story that gave us a different POV on Clark and was a wonderfully original aspect of character development. I can't believe that no one has ever done anything with the woman that saw Clark stop the bus!

The quality of the writing was wonderful and very on par with the submissions to this board. Please send this on to LabRat for archiving in our archive here .

And thank you for listening to Dandello and posting here. I hope you have found a new home with us.

James
Posted By: Anonymous Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/12/09 11:25 AM
Fantastic story! Thank you. Please write more!!
Posted By: cp33 Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/12/09 10:06 PM
Wonderful story. please bring us more of your work.
Posted By: Scarlett Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/14/09 02:04 PM
Again, thank you so much for the feedback and warm welcome!

I'm very happy that perhaps, despite the title, you all enjoyed this and found it surprising. That really does mean a lot!

Although I am working on a totally unrelated L&C story right now, the thought of a sequel is appealing to me more and more so... who knows? laugh
Posted By: Annalina19 Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/30/09 09:30 AM
I read your story Scarlett and she is very good writing with an original plot ! It is really interesting to meet this woman, Mrs Margaret Hart that Clark saved at his arrival to Metropolis!

That would ask for an epilogue, no?
Posted By: groobie Re: FDK - Three Rules - 03/31/10 01:21 AM
I'm obviously way late to the party, but was catching up on Kerth nominees and figured feedback was better late than never. smile I enjoyed the way you took a minor character from the show and created a whole story from her point of view. It was creative and your writing had a nice, comfortable pace. It completely drew me in. Your Kerth nominations are well deserved. Congratulations! thumbsup
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards