How To Create A TOC

Thanks go to Wendy for the core text which forms the basis of these instructions. smile

Why should I create a TOC for my stories?, I hear you cry. Well, a few reasons come to mind. wink For the author they can be useful because they allow readers coming late to a story to find the previous segments in just seconds, so they can easily catch up. (And, having caught up, hopefully provide comments or feedback). Authors always like gaining readers. <g> For readers...well, see the previous answer. And for our wonderful Index Crew - who, each week, compile the data on what's been posted and translate it into a handy index for the mbs - it makes life much easier as they have less data to compile if every story has a TOC. Everyone wins with a TOC!

So...now that you're convinced that every good author needs a TOC like every girl needs diamonds wink how do you make one? Couldn't be easier!

First of all:

1. Open two browser windows, with these boards in each one.
2. In one window, find the first part of your story.
3. In the second, go to the TOC folder and start a new topic - Story Title TOC.
4. From the story page, select and copy the URL of your story segment - the information contained in the Address part of your browser. (Ctrl-Insert, then Ctrl-V will work if you can't right-click on your mouse). Paste the URL into the message space in your other window.

There are two ways to proceed from here. You can:

1. Paste the URL and write Part X next to it.

However, if you'd like fancy formatting, in which the text which appears reads 'Part X' and the reader clicks on that to get to the story, (otherwise known as a hyperlink) the instructions are as follows (and trust me, it's easy! If I can do it, anyone can. ).

1. Type: the URL of your story part

That's it. No spaces anywhere in the code. And when you post, it should come out as mine do. Do add links to each comments folder too - many readers who come late to a story do like to read back on the comments, which is often as much fun as reading the story. So make it easy for them to find them with a comments folder link for each story part. They'll appreciate it. smile

2. And then simply include the URL of your TOC at the top of every story post - either the URL itself, or use the same method to convert it to a hyperlink to the TOC.

Or you can try method no. two:

1. Scroll down the posting screen till you find the set of UBB code buttons.
2. Click on the button marked 'URL'
3. Paste the URL of your story part/comments folder into the box that appears.
4. Hit OK.
5. Insert whatever label you want for the link - "Part One"; "Part One - Comments" and so on.
6. Hit OK.

And that's you.

Do remember to update your TOC regularly with each new story part and comments folder you post. Updating couldn't be simpler. Just hit the edit button on the header of your TOC post (that's the one that looks like a pad and pen) and add in the new links as you go.

If you have any other questions about how to make a TOC, or are having problems, do just mail the moderator of this folder using the email link provided. smile

LabRat
Forum Moderator

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers