#160021 08/07/08 06:23 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Bad spelling 'should be accepted'

Common spelling mistakes should be accepted into everyday use, not corrected, a professor has said.

Ken Smith says the most common spelling mistakes should simply be accepted as "variant spellings".

He lists the 10 most commonly misspelt words, which include "arguement" for "argument" and "twelth" for "twelfth".

The professor says his proposal, outlined in an article in the Times Higher Education Supplement, follows years of correcting the same mistakes.

Mr Smith, a criminology lecturer at Bucks New University in High Wycombe, listed the 10 words most commonly spelled wrongly by his students.

He said: "Instead of complaining about the state of the education system as we correct the same mistakes year after year, I've got a better idea.

"University teachers should simply accept as variant spellings those words our students most commonly misspell.

"The spelling of the word 'judgement', for example, is now widely accepted as a variant of 'judgment', so why can't 'truely' be accepted as a variant spelling of 'truly'?"

Mr Smith also suggested adding the word "misspelt" to the list and all those that break the "i before e" rule - weird, seize, neighbour and foreign.

The professor said he was not asking people to learn to spell words differently.

"All I am suggesting is that we might well put 20 or so of the most commonly misspelt words in the English language on the same footing as those other words that have a widely accepted variant spelling," he added.
No comment. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#160022 08/07/08 06:50 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
wallbash wallbash wallbash

There's my comment.

#160023 08/07/08 08:15 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
MS Word has a little thing called spellchek.

It's really not that hard to use, guys.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#160024 08/07/08 09:14 AM
Columnist
Columnist
He should be ashamed to call himself an educator. huh

#160025 08/07/08 09:27 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Um, yeah...

Ay hef no eyedea wat to say aboud this. huh

Perhaps he's trying to get flamed? Or, no, wait, I know. He's just trying to make his life easier by not having to correct the papers.

Funny question. If those words get misspelled all the time, would it be permissible for him to post a list of common mistakes and tell his students if he finds more than one of those in a paper, he will hand it back for resubmission, with all the consequences of the student possibly missing his deadline?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#160026 08/07/08 09:35 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
That sounds good to me, Michael. I try as hard as I can to make certain that my spelling is correct. Sometimes spellcheck isn't enough, but whenever I'm in doubt I refer to that archaic device called a "dictionary"-- something this guy's students apparently never heard of.

Creative spelling -- razz

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#160027 08/07/08 10:47 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've been a poor speller all my life - I bless the little cotton socks of whoever invented the spellchecker every day - but I would never have appreciated having my mistakes ignored. If no one tells you where you're going wrong, how will you ever learn?

Sadly, this is part of a terrible trend in the UK, where there's been a growing tendency among education professionals to let standards slide. We had a vast upset recently when a company which had been given the government contract to mark exam papers botched the entire thing. That lead to the most horrendous stories in the papers - like the teacher who was so disgusted she sent in two examples of English exams. One was beautifully literate, spelt correctly and grammatically perfect throughout. The other was full of grammar and spelling errors and made little sense. Guess which one was awarded the higher mark?

Only recently, too, a question in Parliament queried the low standard of questions in a science exam. One question was "What area of the body does a horse rider's hat protect?" And that was a difficult one! And then the government claims that there's been no dumbing down of exams and it's sheer co-incidence that something like 90% of kids are getting top exam marks.

On a similar note, Stuart - after shaking his head in disgust at this Professor - mentioned how he'd been looking over the application forms which potential recruits to the Fire Brigade had filled in recently. Many of them were filled in using textspeak.

wallbash wallbash wallbash is right, Rona! Makes you despair.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#160028 08/07/08 02:02 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A lot of the spelling mistakes I deal with are students spelling words the way they read them in books (usually printed in the US with American spellings).

However, In Canada we use a combinaton of British spellings, American and French.

Heres a chart to keep it straight:
http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/BritishCanadianAmerican.htm

we use
metre for meter
centre for center
calibre for caliber
cheque for check
colour for color
enrol for enroll
favour for favor

do you see the major differences? (so be kind when you beta a Canadian Writer!) I try to edit what I type here, but I can't promise to always use the American spelling. I already don't always use the correct form in my everyday life.

Don't think about the pink elephant... I dare you!

Thanks to Tineke for the avatar
#160029 08/07/08 04:21 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
help
It's going to be bad enough with txt english, all lower case since no one can find the cap key.
Pretty soon they will petition that math be up to the user too. Of course, with the US banking crises, they may have already been doing that. whinging
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#160030 08/07/08 05:01 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by smileyd:

A lot of the spelling mistakes I deal with are students spelling words the way they read them in books (usually printed in the US with American spellings).

However, In Canada we use a combinaton of British spellings, American and French.

Heres a chart to keep it straight:
http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/BritishCanadianAmerican.htm

we use
metre for meter
centre for center
calibre for caliber
cheque for check
colour for color
enrol for enroll
favour for favor

do you see the major differences? (so be kind when you beta a Canadian Writer!) I try to edit what I type here, but I can't promise to always use the American spelling. I already don't always use the correct form in my everyday life.
I see that as actual legitimate regional differences in spelling. It's no different than regional dialects, in my opinion. There's a big difference between allowing a misspelled word to get by because you're tired of correcting it and actually having a different spelling that is correct. You've provided excellent examples of the differences between just Canadian and American English. But the professor who wants to ignore atrocities such as "misspelt" is a disgrace to the educational system. I don't even pronounce a "t" when I say "misspelled" out loud (although, I don't know if other accents do create a "t" in the word).

This is just another example of how each generation is more and more focused on just "getting by" instead of actually learning. Where do we draw the line? mad

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox before I get really worked up. laugh

- Rona, the professional student, who is currently working on an English degree, and is actually part of one of those younger generations that she can't stand.

#160031 08/07/08 05:09 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hmmm. Thread wander alert! I don't think I correct non-American spellings of English. Or I try not to, because those spellings are valid I think. Do you guys when you beta?

What irks me are careless mistakes in formal stuff. For example stuff like "thier" should not be in something submitted for a grade. Seriously, if your term paper has those red squiggly lines and it's not a specialized term, etc, you really should have taken the two seconds it takes to spellcheck.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#160032 08/07/08 05:15 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm not saying I correct regional spellings, but my teachers used to mark up our papers if we had American spellings instead of Canadian.

I will mark it wrong, of course, on a spelling test (I teach grade three, or at least will be finally this fall).

Desiree

#160033 08/07/08 05:19 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I don't think I correct non-American spellings of English. Or I try not to, because those spellings are valid I think.
I always ask the writer that very question: Should I correct English spellings to American spellings? Because even if writer B has lived in Middlesex all of his or her life, Lois and Clark lived and worked in the US. If an author has Lois saying "Too right" or Clark moving a lorry away from an accident, that's going to get flagged. But unless I've gotten the high sign from the writer to correct English spelling to American, I'm not going to flag "flavour" or "metre" or such.

It bugs the fire out of me, but I manfully resist.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#160034 08/07/08 05:20 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
But the professor who wants to ignore atrocities such as "misspelt" is a disgrace to the educational system.
Um, 'misspelt' is a correct spelling, by the grounds you yourself allow to be legitimate: it is a British English spelling. dizzy -t is a way of forming past tense in British English:

- knelt
- spelt
- dwelt
- spoilt
- learnt
- burnt
- spelt
- smelt

For further evidence, you might like to check this entry .

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#160035 08/07/08 05:28 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Should I correct English spellings to American spellings? Because even if writer B has lived in Middlesex all of his or her life, Lois and Clark lived and worked in the US. If an author has Lois saying "Too right" or Clark moving a lorry away from an accident, that's going to get flagged. But unless I've gotten the high sign from the writer to correct English spelling to American, I'm not going to flag "flavour" or "metre" or such.
As one who still uses British English spelling though I now live in North America (Canada, where British English is almost entirely the correct form, yet US English creeps into the written language), I strongly support the author's right to use whatever spelling is their preference, though I completely agree that dialogue choice, colloquialisms and cultural references need to be appropriate for the fandom - and that's something I tried to do when I wrote L&C fic.

Now that I write in a British fandom, I'm regularly asked to 'Britpick' by American writers. I always ask if they want me to identify spelling differences, because not everyone wants to conform to British spelling; however, they do want to know if having a character say 'gotten', or 'fixed dinner', or describing distances in 'blocks', is wrong. I can't 'hear' spelling (as in, correct but regionally inappropriate), but I can 'hear' culturally-inappropriate language.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#160036 08/07/08 07:25 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
(so be kind when you beta a Canadian Writer!)
When I beta or GE, I always try to find out if the writer wants to use British or English spellings and so correct accordingly. I’m not sure I think it’s good practice to use both in the same story. But then I tend to always use behaviour instead of behavior but thank goodness my spell checker catches it...

I try to edit what I type here, but I can't promise to always use the American spelling. I already don't always use the correct form in my everyday life.
I wouldn’t worry about that smileyd. You shouldn’t feel that you have to use American spellings on the board. Use what you are comfortable with. You also shouldn’t feel that you have to use American spellings in fanfic either. Again, use what you are comfortable with - just try to be consistent. I’m pretty sure most people on this board are fine with either spelling. smile

Pretty soon they will petition that math be up to the user too.
It all depends on which base you use, doesn’t it? Isn’t it a good thing that the world has managed to get it together so that everyone uses base 10 - 23 means two 10’s and 3 ones therefore you write 23, but in base 5 you wouldn’t write ‘23’. It would four 5’s plus 3 ones therefore you’d write 43. And what if we all used base 2 (binary) like computers use? (23 in binary is: 10111.) :rolleyes:

Hmmm. Thread wander alert! I don't think I correct non-American spellings of English. Or I try not to, because those spellings are valid I think. Do you guys when you beta?
Nope. See above...

If an author has Lois saying "Too right" or Clark moving a lorry away from an accident, that's going to get flagged. But unless I've gotten the high sign from the writer to correct English spelling to American, I'm not going to flag "flavour" or "metre" or such.
That’s what I do, too. What I’ve recently found interesting though is that some Americans are starting to use ‘flat’ for an apartment. Very curious indeed.

'misspelt' is a correct spelling, by the grounds you yourself allow to be legitimate:
I’m glad you said that because I was thinking it was a correct alternate, too, and was beginning to think my spelling skills had gone off the deep end. That would have been bad since I’ve always been a very good speller. I use my spellcheck but usually what it finds it mistyping. At work, I frequently use the word: appropriately. And for some reason I nearly always have to back space to correct it because I spell it: approrpiately. I drive myself nuts with that. Another common one that I often see medical folks mistyping is: patient. ‘Patinet’ is often typed instead.

Very interesting thread.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#160037 08/07/08 07:40 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Classicalla:
I try to edit what I type here, but I can't promise to always use the American spelling. I already don't always use the correct form in my everyday life.
I wouldn’t worry about that smileyd. You shouldn’t feel that you have to use American spellings on the board. Use what you are comfortable with. You also shouldn’t feel that you have to use American spellings in fanfic either. Again, use what you are comfortable with - just try to be consistent. I’m pretty sure most people on this board are fine with either spelling. smile
That's very good to hear.

The reason I watch what I write though is partly because of the year I spent in Maine (for my ed degree), and partly (okay, mostly) because at some point I wrote on an online board (not LnC), and my post was "corrected" by another poster. I have to say, it peed me off that someone felt the need to do that. It's not like I use many (or any, I think), regional sayings, or that my spelling was unreadable. I felt alienated, and haven't really posted anything else there in quite some time.

So it's nice to know the folks who are folcs are more understanding of differences in spelling around this marble we call home.

Desiree

#160038 08/07/08 08:00 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Artemis:
help
It's going to be bad enough with txt english, all lower case since no one can find the cap key.
Pretty soon they will petition that math be up to the user too. Of course, with the US banking crises, they may have already been doing that. whinging
cool
Artemis
I'm adding to your horrible list the death of punctuation. I giggle at my source, but I was reading this month's Cosmo, and one of the little factoids talked about people ditching punctuation marks in the digital world. I think I'll hide under a pile of periods and hope they don't get us, too.

Oy.
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#160039 08/07/08 11:27 PM
Kerth
Kerth
The trouble with accepting bad spelling is that there are all too many fields (chemical engineering and medicine, for example) where a spelling error or a mistake of a letter or two can result in injuries or death.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#160040 08/08/08 01:16 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Wendymr:
But the professor who wants to ignore atrocities such as "misspelt" is a disgrace to the educational system.
Um, 'misspelt' is a correct spelling, by the grounds you yourself allow to be legitimate: it is a British English spelling. dizzy -t is a way of forming past tense in British English:

- knelt
- spelt
- dwelt
- spoilt
- learnt
- burnt
- spelt
- smelt

For further evidence, you might like to check this entry .

Wendy smile
Wendy, that's why I said
I don't even pronounce a "t" when I say "misspelled" out loud (although, I don't know if other accents do create a "t" in the word).
I didn't know if it was legitimate in another form of English or not. You have to realize, where I live, people drop first and last letters of words, and change sounds to sound gangsta-thug and be cool. It irks me, because I find nothing cool about gangs. I think it's more in the way they pronounce it though, because I see nothing "gangsta" about British English. laugh

So, thank you for pointing out it is a correct spelling in the UK. I'm not familiar enough with other forms of English to know all of the differences. It would definitely be an incorrect spelling here in America, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard