Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#274337 03/21/17 08:47 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
For my next Supergirl story I need the movie version of Martha Kent (who is a widow) to belong to an organization that might go on trips occasionally. The actual destination doesn't matter much because the trip will be cancelled anyway. I've put this in as a placeholder in the story:

Martha was supposed to be going to Wichita today with the Smallville Sewing Circle, but the trip was cancelled because the driver has flu.

but I've no idea why a sewing circle might want to go to Wichita particularly, so that isn't an ideal explanation. What I need is a plausible rationale for her to plan to spend a day away from Smallville, but not one that is life threatening or problematic if cancelled, so something like a club outing.

Any suggestions?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello Marcus,

Senior Centers often have day or overnight bus excursions.

Another possibility: Martha has to get the materials for Clark's suits from somewhere; she probably wouldn't want to buy it all in one place, and I could easily see her driving a distance to get, say, the distinctive red fabric for his cape.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Another possibility is that she is going with a group of artists who work in welding as we saw in GGGOH. She might want to go to Wichita to buy welding materials.

Just an idea.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
If you mean the Martha Kent version from the Superman Movie (Chris Reeves version), you could have the Smallville Quilting Club going to Wichita to go to a quilting exhibition. (Quilting is still very big in my small town. Actually ALL crafts are big in this small town, which is bigger town than the Superman Movie's Smallville, but still has more beauty salons, craft stores, and auto parts stores than a town this size should be able to support.)

If you mean Diane Lane (from MoS), I'd probably have her be a stronger woman (running her own farm as a business), much like our LnC Martha Kent would be, only without the interest in art. You could always have it be a group from the Smallville Historical Society going to Wichita to see some historical exhibition.

THE Little House of the Prairie (of Laura Ingalls Wilder fame) is in Kansas. So, you could have Martha taking a group of school girls, from a book club that she runs through the Smallville Library, to Independence, KS to the Laura Ingalls museum, there. Although, it would be a great disappointment for all if the driver got sick. wink I guess the trip could always just be postponed to a later date.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 03/22/17 02:10 AM. Reason: clarification

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
It's the version from Superman Returns, but I've written her as more like L&C Martha in things like how she interacts with Supergirl etc.

Quilting sounds perfect - that's what I'll go with. Thanks for the suggestion!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard