Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164839 11/24/10 11:49 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Hi,

Are we ever given the name of a neighbouring town to Smallville?

Thanks,

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm not sure about the L&C world, but on the "Smallville" TV show, a neighboring town, Granville, is mentioned.

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Of course, on the TV series 'Smallville', Metropolis is a neighboring town.

Tank (who isn't really ready for winter yet, but mother nature didn't consult him)

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
When I needed towns near Smallville, I just made them up. As I recall, two of the names were Pepper and Rattlesnake Bend.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How about using a map of Kansas to pick a name? I decided my Smallville was near Witchita, specifically Florence, KS. Thus I have a choice of
Cedar Point
Peabody
Clements
Auline
Marion
Hillsboro
Council Grove.
As far as I recall, LnC never said anything about a nearby town. Then there is Lawrence, Baldwin City, Topeka, but these are urban areas. Reality is better than making something up, IMHO.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Artemis, I agree in principle that reality is better than making something up. However, I don't want to use a real place name because that pinpoints the location of Smallville. I have never been to Kansas, and if I get too specific, I'm probably going to run into trouble by mentioning something that simply isn't factual.

I think I'll use Granville because that sounds reasonable to me, although I loved Nan's Rattlesnake Bend!!

Corrina.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
There's a real Rattlesnake Bend in Florida just a bit south-west of Jacksonville in the north-east part of the state. It's near the intersection of State Highway 23 and Doctors Inlet Road.

Really.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
R
RJS Offline
Blogger
Blogger
R
Technically speaking, making up a name is not factual, but I understand what you mean. I've been reading the archive and in some stories Smallville is 150 miles west of Wichita. Dodge City, a city of comparable size, is 150 miles west of Wichita, so Smallville would be about ten miles south of Dodge City (of 'Gunsmoke' fame.)Driving 150 miles to Wichita's airport is unnecessary when Dodge has an airport, too. Keeping Smallville's location vague works.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
It's not so much the name being factual as all the other little details such as location of the nearest airport (type of farms, crops grown, trees, size of town, etc.). If I make up a name and say it does have an airport, who can argue? But if I use a real place and say it has an airport, that's where I'm very likely to stumble. smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good point, Corrina. But for those of us who know Kansas, reality gives us a firmer foundation. It's like your wonderful descriptions of Melbourne in Aussie Rules, not to mention the footy grounds.
I've got relatives who went to the University of Kansas (KU) and hubby was born in Lawrence. So it is a real place to me. {re "Nighttime in the Daytime" chapter "Rock Chalk Jayhawk"}
Just note that the further west you go in Kansas, toward Colorado, the farming is harder and the land is drier. So Dodge City is not lush.
Also, as to airports, most are going to be small private airports or commuter flights to Wichita or Topeka. You're not going to fly directly from Granville Regional Airport to Metropolis.
cool
Artemis
Good info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_Kansas
Also note, Kansas City Airport is in Missouri, not Kansas.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Artemis,

I need a large, dense tree that typically grows in Kansas. Any suggestions?

Thanks smile

Corrina.

Merriwether
Merriwether
According to this site , you could use a maple or oak tree. Both are very large and dense when mature. The maple could have also been good for climbing when it (or its owner) were younger.

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
deleted -repetition due to site flooding control
A

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Corinna:
Maple, birch, Ohio Buckeye are prolific growers in most of the state. These are deciduous trees, so you have to watch the time of year. Firs are not naturally common down there, but do grow if planted.
Try these sites: http://www.gardenguides.com/97140-trees-grow-well-kansas.html

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/WeepingWillow.htm

Yes, and what Kathy said.

http://www.kansasforests.org/rural/facts.shtml
The last site has pdf files for all the areas in Kansas, so you can search further.
Good luck. I'm looking forward to the story.
regards
Artemis

R
RJS Offline
Blogger
Blogger
R
How about using a map of Kansas to pick a name? I decided my Smallville was near Witchita, specifically Florence, KS.
I think a good place to locate Smallville would be east of Wichita, closer to El Dorado in the Flint Hills. The terrain would support such series canon scenes as Jonathan Kent plowing snow, thick tree groves around houses and farms, and that railroad crossing with trees growing up to the edge of the road in GGGOH; streams, creeks and ponds occur naturally in the hills. When I get around to putting my ideas on paper, that's where my Smallville will be located.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sounds good to me. Florence is in the Flint Hills. I just wanted somewhere close to Wichita. Look forward to your story!
regards
Artemis

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks Artemis and Kathy. It's October, so I'll use a fir because I need it as a screen. I'll also add in some maples and oaks to add some fall colour.

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Corrina:
The maples are lush, dense and full of color at that time of year. Here's some other thoughts on the type of fir tree.
Juniper/Cedar Trees
# The eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) is arguably the best-suited evergreen tree for growth in Kansas. In fact, the eastern red cedar is the only evergreen tree that is native to the state, according to the Great Plains Nature Center in Wichita. This tree is a source of winter color as well as shelter for birds and small mammals. It prefers full sun and, although it is slightly drought tolerant, moist soil. The Rocky Mountain juniper (Juniperus scopulorum) is a variety of evergreen that grows well in the western parts of Kansas.
Pine Trees
# Pine trees is a favorite evergreen in Kansas for several reasons. First, the Kansas Forest Service states in "Best Evergreens for Windbreaks,"that many farmers favor pines because they do not spread in pastures like the eastern red cedar. Secondly, several varieties of pines are available, which allows landscapers to choose the characteristics that best meet their needs. The ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) is tolerant to drought and high salinity, making it a perfect match for that hard-to-plant Kansas soil. Plant the ponderosa pine in an area of low humidity to avoid disease and insect problems. The Austrian pine (Pinus nigra) is a fast-growing pine that is also drought tolerant. It can be planted anywhere that large amounts of water do not pool. The KFS also suggests that the eastern white pine (Pinus strobus) may be planted as well. However, they note that this variety of pine is not as tolerant as the others are and it may require a more specific planting environment to survive.
Have fun!
Artemis

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard