Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
How much of an unmitigated disaster would that date to the Pearl Jam concert from "The Phoenix" have been for Lois and Clark if they had actually gone?

I believe this was a poorly planned idea on Clark's part, especially since a concert would not have any of Lois's criteria, which she listed, for a first date. Lois's list: getting dressed up enough to put perfume behind her knee, and him in a charcoal suit. Not exactly dress code for a Pearl Jam concert.

So, if Lex hadn't suddenly been resurrected from the dead, and Lois and Clark went to the concert, what would it have been like? (Personally, I think they lucked out with a stake-out, champagne, and bad food from Ralph's Pagoda.)

Send Lois and Clark out on this first date to the concert, how would their relationship been different? Would Lois have saw something to turn this date into an investigation? Would Clark have run out to get "soda" and never returned because he lost his ticket stub while out on a Superman rescue, and couldn't get back in? Would they have stood there awkwardly asking themselves what in the world were *they* doing at a Pearl Jam concert?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
C
I'm trying to picture them going through the mosh pit huh

"You're better at this than I thought," she told him.
"At what?" Clark looked up at her quizzically.
"Dissembling."
"You didn't think I could lie?"
~ Sue s. FB
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by chickberry:
<strong> I'm trying to picture them going through the mosh pit huh
Possibly. I'm glad he tried something different by the time their second chance came around.

The funny thing about this whole concert is that you NEVER in the entire scope of the show ever seen either of them listening to this type of music, so why? Why? WHY???? Would either of them want to go to this concert?

I'm just saying, if someone writes this... I will read it. laugh 'Cause it's got to be a train wreck waiting to happen.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Merriwether
Merriwether
The funny thing about this whole concert is that you NEVER in the entire scope of the show ever seen either of them listening to this type of music, so why? Why? WHY???? Would either of them want to go to this concert?
Just a bit of old timer trivia ... the script was apparently originally written with Clark getting tickets to see the Rolling Stones, and only changed at the last minute to Pearl Jam. At the time, the fandom was baffled for all the reasons mentioned here -- it just didn't fit their characterization, plus it dated the episode; both then and now, the Stones are a fairly "timeless" act to see, but Pearl Jam is definitely not.

But I agree that just because there's a mosh pit on the floor doesn't mean L&C would have to be in it -- I can't imagine either of them having any desire to attempt it. Instead, I'd imagine they'd watch it from their seats, wondering how going to see a popular band would make them feel old at 27-28. wink

Kathy

Kerth
Kerth
Hey! I grew up with Pearl Jam blasting out of my uncle's stinky truck (he was living with us for a while) and I still like their music.

Hmm. I actually did write something about Pearl Jam somewhere on my hard drive, but I don't think it was of either of them at the concert, but more of a songfic or something that proved they did listen to the music. I'll have to go hunting and see if it's postable. Some of the things that come out of me past two am are :rolleyes: or dizzy So we shall see.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
C
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
C
I'm just saying, if someone writes this... I will read it. 'Cause it's got to be a train wreck waiting to happen.
I would read it as well. I think it could be hilarious.

With the mosh pit I was thinking about the next day when Jimmy walks in with the bump on his head and was trying to picture Clark in Jimmy's shoes for getting the bump. I guess you would have to come up with a reason for them being down there at that age. Maybe Lois is really a huge Pearl Jam fan and wanted to see them up close and drug Clark down to the stage with her. Or she didn't go to a lot of concerts during her college years so she's trying to experience what she missed during those years.

"You're better at this than I thought," she told him.
"At what?" Clark looked up at her quizzically.
"Dissembling."
"You didn't think I could lie?"
~ Sue s. FB
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by KathyB:
Just a bit of old timer trivia ... the script was apparently originally written with Clark getting tickets to see the Rolling Stones, and only changed at the last minute to Pearl Jam. At the time, the fandom was baffled for all the reasons mentioned here -- it just didn't fit their characterization, plus it dated the episode; both then and now, the Stones are a fairly "timeless" act to see, but Pearl Jam is definitely not.
This makes total sense. I could see them agreeing to go see a Rolling Stones concert over Pearl Jam.

But I agree that just because there's a mosh pit on the floor doesn't mean L&C would have to be in it -- I can't imagine either of them having any desire to attempt it. Instead, I'd imagine they'd watch it from their seats, wondering how going to see a popular band would make them feel old at 27-28.
clap

Originally posted by Mouserocks:
Hey! I grew up with Pearl Jam blasting out of my uncle's stinky truck (he was living with us for a while) and I still like their music.

Hmm. I actually did write something about Pearl Jam somewhere on my hard drive, but I don't think it was of either of them at the concert, but more of a songfic or something that proved they did listen to the music. I'll have to go hunting and see if it's postable.
Sorry, Mouserocks, wasn't knocking Pearl Jam. Actually, I'm sure that some of their music was played at parties that I went to in college... not that I could name a song off the top of my head (per KathyB's point). I just remember the style of music and couldn't picture the woman (Lois) who sings big band classics and listens to jazz rocking out to Pearl Jam. Sting, Elton John, or Phil Collins maybe, but not Pearl Jam. (Lois and Clark are the same age as my older sister, and I couldn't picture HER at a Pearl Jam concert either.) Remember, these are people who got into music during the disco era of late 70s.

Originally posted by chickberry:
With the mosh pit I was thinking about the next day when Jimmy walks in with the bump on his head and was trying to picture Clark in Jimmy's shoes for getting the bump. I guess you would have to come up with a reason for them being down there at that age. Maybe Lois is really a huge Pearl Jam fan and wanted to see them up close and drug Clark down to the stage with her. Or she didn't go to a lot of concerts during her college years so she's trying to experience what she missed during those years.
Possibly. It would be funny scene to picture in my mind.

VirginiaR.
---

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard