Um, Hi. Sorry I took so long; I kinda had writers block, and then things kept popping up, but the part's here now, so I hope you enjoy it. smile

I'm holding part 11 for ransome. I want Julie to post part 3 of "Dude, Where's My Cape?" and I want someone to volunteer for part 2 of either "Sue Marie and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" or "Sex, Lies, and Lucy" (which will be posted immediately after this).

Those are my demands. If they are not met, you won't get part 11.

I'm wai-ting! evil

----------------------------

From Part 9:

Roger lowered the newspaper just enough to see who was coming out of the building. He saw Lois Lane and Clark Kent exit the apartment building and get into Lane’s car. Slowly, he reached for the knot in his tie and squeezed it. “Phil, you there?”

A tiny earpiece in his right ear responded. “Yeah, I’m here. Where is she?”

“She and Kent just got into her car. Now they’re moving.”

“Probably just going to work. You follow them; I’ll wait here at the Planet. Do we know who Mr. X is, yet?”

“Not sure. I’ll bet you twenty it’s that Kent guy…”

“You’re on! Over and out.”

And Now, Part 10:

The drive to the Planet was fairly quiet. By the time they entered the building, Lois had composed herself to the point where no one would ever guess that she’d been sobbing uncontrollably minutes ago.

Perry greeted them when they arrived. “Why, Lois! I see you’ve decided to grace us with your presence. To what do we owe this unexpected honor?” He turned and called across the room. “Jimmy, roll out the red carpet! Lois Lane is here!”

Lois rolled her eyes.

“Won’t you have a seat, Lois?” Perry continued, “We have a fine desk right here that’s practically got your name on it. Do you feel like working today? You know I’d hate to inconvenience you if---”

“All right, Perry! All right!” Lois said, “You can cut the sarcasm. I realize I’m a little late…”

Perry’s eyebrows shot up. “A little? Lois, there were people taking a pool on whether you were still alive! Where in Tarnation were you?”

“Well, um, I was---I was---”

“---Working on a story.”

Lois whirled to face Clark and stared at him in surprise.

“Don’t you remember, Lois? You were interviewing Superman about the jewel heist he stopped last night.”

“Hunh? Oh! Um, right. That’s---why I’m late. I was interviewing Superman.”

Perry looked at them suspiciously, then snorted. “Fine, then. But I want that story on my desk *pronto*!” He turned to head back to his office, but was blocked by Jimmy who had been standing behind him with a roll of bills. “What is it now, son?”

“Um, it’s the pool money, Chief. You won two-thousand, eight-hundred eighty-six dollars and twenty-five cents.” Jimmy extended the money to Perry.

Perry sighed. “Keep it.” He then entered his office and closed the door.

“All right!” A broad smile crossed Jimmy’s face as he, too, wandered off.

Lois followed Clark to his desk. “What jewel heist?”

“This jewel heist.” Clark brought the story up on his computer, deleted his name, and typed in Lois’.

“Clark!” Lois couldn’t believe he was doing this. “That’s *your* interview; Superman gave it to *you*!”

“And I’m giving it to *you*. It’s just one small story, Lois; I won’t miss it.”

She stared thoughtfully at the story on the screen and chewed her lower lip. Finally, she tentatively reached for the keyboard and pressed ‘send’.

There. It was done. The story traveled down the wire to Perry’s computer. Clark’s story. And it had her name on it. Lois had only taken a story from Clark once before, and she’d felt appalled with herself afterwards. Lois Lane did not take other peoples stories; she was much too talented for that! And yet, she’d just taken Clark’s. Again. She felt horrible. She felt disappointed with herself. She felt---she felt---

“Lois? Are you okay? You’re looking pretty white…”

Lois shook her head and ran for the bathroom. Maggie from accounting was coming out just as she was rushing in, and for a brief moment, the blonde stared at her as though she’d seen a ghost.

“Lois! You’re alive!”

She came out of the bathroom and found Clark standing by the door.

“Hey. You all right?”

Lois nodded.

Clark handed her a cup. “Here, I got you some water.”

“Thanks,” she replied after a sip. She had the oddest feeling of deja vu…

“I have a donut here for you, too, if you think you’re up to it.”

Lois shook her head. “No thanks.”

“You really should eat something!”

“I’m okay, Clark.”

“Lo-is.”

“Clark, I’m fine! Why don’t you believe me?”

Clark shifted uncomfortably. “Well, I---um---I passed Superman on the way to your apartment, and he said you hadn’t eaten all day.”

“I’ve gone without breakfast lots of times, Clark. Actually, I rarely eat breakfast at all! It’s no big deal, really!”

“Lois…”

“Okay, if it makes you feel better, I’ll eat the friggin’ donut.” She grabbed the pastry from him and took a bite. “Vr! Hpm Nm?”

Clark raised an eyebrow.

Lois swallowed. “There. Happy now?”

“Yes.”

They walked back to the bullpen, Lois munching on the rest of the donut. She had to admit; having something in her stomach did make her feel a little better. Clark dropped her off at her desk, making sure she was comfortably settled before returning to his own.

She was booting up her computer when Jimmy walked up.

“Hi Lois.”

“Hey, Jimmy.”

The computer hummed and ran through the typical ‘start up’ routine. Jimmy was still standing there.

“Did you want something, Jimmy, or are you trying to get a job as a lawn decoration?”

“Oh! Um, yeah… Lois, we’re friends; right?”

“I guess so, Jimmy. Why?”

“Well, I kinda have a little favor to ask you…”

Lois leaned back in her chair and rolled her eyes. “Alright, how much do you need?”

“Huh? Oh, this isn’t about money. You see, I have this friend in New York; his name’s Tommy. We email each other about all kinds of stuff, you know, and I’ve told him all about my job here at the Planet. Well, anyway, I just got an email from him; he says he’s coming here to Metropolis and he’s going to drop by the Planet and say hi---”

“And let me guess, you want me to show him around?”

“No, not exactly. You see, I kind of fibbed a little in some of those emails I sent him.”

“What do you mean you fibbed a little? What did you tell him?”

“Well, for starters, I kinda told him that we were dating…”

“You WHAT?!”

“So I was hoping that, while he was here, you could, you know, maybe just pretend---?”

“Jimmy!”

“Please, Lois? It’s only for a day. Less than a day! I’ll make it up to you afterwards, I swear!”

If looks could kill, Jimmy would be in a morgue right then. How dare he tell his little friend that the two of them were dating! And now he expected her to help perpetuate this lie?! Jimmy was lucky that he was still standing!

“Lois, please? I’m begging you! I will do anything! I’ll wash your jeep, paint your apartment, do your nails, anything! Just please help me out this one time?”

Lois sighed. Well, what could a day hurt? “Okay, Jimmy, but remember; you owe me *big*!”

Jimmy smiled. “Yes! Thanks, Lois!”

“So when is he coming?”

“Tomorrow. And thanks again, Lois!”

As he ran off, Lois turned and saw Clark grinning up at her from his desk. “One word out of you, and---”

Clark raised his hands in surrender and chuckled. “Okay, Lois. I won’t say anything. I just think---” He paused, having gotten that look on his face, the one that meant he had to return a library book or feed his fish or shampoo his sister’s carpet. “I think I left the shower running; better go check.” He rose from his desk and ran for the stairwell.

Seconds after he left, Lois’ phone rang. Lois massaged her temples with one hand and picked up the phone with the other. “Lois Lane.”

“Lois? It’s me!”

“Lucy?”

“Yeah, I just broke up with Brad and now I need a place to stay, so I’m coming back to Metropolis to stay with you. Okay?”

“What?”

“Great, I’ll be there tomorrow. You can pick me up at the airport at eight.”

“No, Lucy, wait a minute---”

“Bye, Lois!”

“Lucy, wait!”

There was a click, followed by the buzz of a dial tone. Lois hung up the phone and slumped in her chair. Tomorrow was going to be a very long day…

TBC

~•~