Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Elena Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
ROTFL, Wendy!!! smile1

Bíonn chuile dhuine lách go dtéann bó ina gharraí.

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Merriwether
Merriwether
rotflol rotflol rotflol

Tús na heagna eagla Wendy.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
UM What they said<g> Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay!! One part of the challenge met! thumbsup Fantastic, Wendy. Funny and witty, and Clark singing about Tipperary and Ballycastle had me evil

Kaethel wink (It's a long way to Tipperary, it's a long way to go. It's a long way to Tipperary, to the evilest cailín I know...)

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“Okay, I’ll sing, then,” he said, grinning, and promptly did.

“It’s a long way to Tipperary,
It’s a long way to go.
It’s a long way to Tipperary, to the sweetest girl I know...”
Oh, you're bad. goofy

Yes, I think this qualifies. clap clap

However, I think you're probably safe from this challenge being completed, Sara. Unless, of course...Kae cheats.

LabRat (trying to recall if there are rules about that kind of thing.... laugh )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
However, I think you're probably safe from this challenge being completed, Sara. Unless, of course...Kae cheats.
Hey!! Why wouldn't the challenge be completed? goofy Don't underestimate the power of wanting to play with my favourite sound-toy, Rat. It can make me move mountains. hyper

Kaethel smile (who won't cheat cool )

- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wendy

An excellent response! smile1

Tricia cool (Who can't wait to see what Kaethel writes! goofy )

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Great challange response, Wendy smile . Now when Kae writes her story you guys can play that wav over and over again. Thank goodness I don't have any wavs on my computer so I am not annoyed at all laugh .

I had one little, okay, big problem with this story.

I think it was a little hard on Americans -- making us a little more stupid than we actually are. I'm not any kind of patriot, and I have been known to use the phrase "stupid americans", but I am not sure if Lois and Clark would insult their own culture . . . more specifically, I am not sure if Lois would be so ignorant of SI units razz If she is, she is really stupid! Maybe when she went to school it wasn't like this -- but I just asked my father and he said that he was taught like this in high school and he is at least 20 years older than Lois -- you know there are two different systems of measurement and you know that the US uses the English system and everywhere else in the world uses the metric system -- or SI system. I believe we were taught to call it SI.

They might not know the conversion factor off the top of their heads, but I think all Americans know or should know what the SI system is. They should also know that we are the only country in the world that is so backward not to use the SI system -- it is so much more straightforward, and everywhere else uses it! But, that said, I really think Lois would know about it, especially if she had traveled *anywhere* else in the world -- making the joke not funny at all -- and making me take offense to it.

I mean, they use SI units in Canada as well -- and I'd believe she has been to Canada. My best friend and I just got back from Canada, and the two of us had no trouble with the SI units -- of course we had to mentally convert the kilometers -> miles for distance, Celcius -> Ferinheit for temperature, and liters -> gallons for alco . . . I mean gasolene wink . Maybe it was just because we are engineers that deal with SI units every day (yet think in English units just for things that are printed in the car), but it was rather easy for us to do.

However, I do agree that Americans are stupid for electing a bad movie actor, who was probably afflicted with alzheimers, president. Yet, I wasn't even born when he was elected the first time. My parents can't explain that one to me confused smile .

- Laura (who may have trouble remembering the difference between picometers and femtometers, just knows they are really small, but definately knows that Ireland uses kilometers or 10^3 meters wink )

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Top Banana
Top Banana
They might not know the conversion factor off the top of their heads, but I think all Americans know or should know what the SI system is.
Just a little response here, because it immediately rang a bell with me when I read Lois's line about the metric system. It might just be a French thing (or okay, it might just be a Kaethel thing goofy ), but when you're grumpy about being somewhere when you'd rather be anywhere else (like Lois is in this case), you sometimes don't want to make the effort to understand things that are not entirely familiar to you. I've been guilty of such behaviour myself a few times (though not about foreign countries, but in contexts that could be compared), and even if it's not the right position to adopt, I imagine that Lois's grunt about the "KM" sign was more a conscious decision to purposefully not understand than true ignorance of what it stands for. Just mho, and I could be way off base, but it's the way I interpreted her line. smile Like you say, Laura, it's doubtful that Lois would have no knowledge at all of the metric system.

Kaethel smile

- Is that what we are?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks, Kae - yes, that's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that line. I'm absolutely sure that Lois has heard of kilometres, and she probably even has a rough idea of the ratio between kilometres and miles. But it's exactly as Kae suggests: she's grumpy and not inclined to cut this weird country any slack at all - or perhaps, not inclined to let Clark have an easy life right at the moment. wink

Actually, rather than portraying Americans as in any way 'stupid', what I was really doing in this silly little piece was satirising many of the stereotypes about Ireland - more of that later, when I respond to comments. goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Blogger
Blogger
Laura A wrote:

I really think Lois would know about it, especially if she had traveled *anywhere* else in the world -- making the joke not funny at all --
In the "Irish Eyes" episode, Lois mentions that she lived in Ireland as an exchange student. I don't think the amount of time she lived there, or her age (high school or college) at the time was mentioned, but even if she were there for only a single semester, I'm sure she'd have some familiarity with the SI system. While I don't find her comment offensive, it seems out of character for Lois to say that.

I do agree that Americans are stupid for electing a bad movie actor, who was probably afflicted with alzheimers, president.
Not all Americans, Laura wink Some of us (not enough, unfortunately :rolleyes: ) voted for the opposition smile

Snarla2

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
In the "Irish Eyes" episode, Lois mentions that she lived in Ireland as an exchange student. I don't think the amount of time she lived there, or her age (high school or college) at the time was mentioned
Hi, Snarla. smile What I could have added in my response above is that we in Ireland are somewhat confused in our attitude to distance measurements. wink If you're in a city, such as Dublin, most local road-signs are still in miles. It's only the long-distance signs, on motorways and major roads, which are in kilometres. In addition, the 'metricisation' of Irish roads has been a long, slow process, over many years. I certainly remember all Irish major roads having their distance signs in miles. So even though we know that Lois did spend some time in Ireland, given that we're not told where and when this happened, it's quite possible that she won't have seen metric road-signs - or even, if she did, that she might not have paid them any attention. If you're not a driver, it may not be the sort of thing you'd notice.

Anyway, again, as Kae said, I think it is far more likely that Lois was just in the sort of mood where she'd get snippy about anything she decided bothered her. And Clark knows this: remember, he's the one who reminds her that she's no stranger to Ireland.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, very funny, Wendy. Nice try.

Unfortunately, mo chara, I’m afraid I’m gonna have to tell you that this simply isn’t good enough. First –

the Dancing Leprechaun. The sign outside showed a grinning little sprite carrying a crock of gold.
And then –

Or Blarney Castle, if you’d like to kiss the Blarney Stone... not that you really need to, at all, at all, Lois,” he added, teasing.
Now, forgive me, but I SPECIFICALLY said – no clichés razz

You say I’m a witch like it’s a bad thing.

~Sara [who’s wondering if that was a bad case of typecasting wink ]

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Now, forgive me, but I SPECIFICALLY said – no clichés
Now, now, Sara: you will notice that there weren't any actual leprechauns in the story, and nor did Lois or Clark actually go to visit the Blarney Stone. And the druid wasn't really a druid - so this objection is flawed and invalid. Mo chara. wink

In any case, since when is a geographical reality a cliche? goofy

Wendy wink

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
YAY! First part of the challenge done! Come on, Kaethel, you can do it too! wink /me likes that wav too much to not be able to play it again laugh

Cute story, though. Even if I have no idea what all those Irish lines means, I enjoyed it a lot. smile

Saskia

"It's a long way to Tipperary
It's a long way to go
It's a long way to Tipperary
To the sweetest girl I know"

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Now, now, Sara: you will notice that there weren't any actual leprechauns in the story, and nor did Lois or Clark actually go to visit the Blarney Stone. And the druid wasn't really a druid - so this objection is flawed and invalid.
There's a flaw in your reasoning, mo ghile wink . I didnt say that there had to be actual leprechauns, nor that you had to actually kiss the Blarney Stone, nor that the druid had to be an actual druid - I just said no clichés evil

So this either needs a major edit job or you need to get your Muse thinking of a whole new premise wink .

Now, I'm told that Kae is writing wink . Now just to clear this sort of thing up, a few guidelines -

1. Absolutely NO clichés, 'real' or otherwise!
2. No using any traditional Irish names that Wendy did smile
3. No using my legends as a feed for information!
4. No 'help' from Wendy. This means BRing, Irish phrases, maps, surnames, first names, NOTHING!!
5. And now that Wendy has set her fic in Tipperary... you can't evil
6. It has to be finished before October 1st wink /
7. You know, I really should have said this in the first place, but better late then never -- you both have to submit this to the archive wink

I hope there wont be any more confusion after this, or I just might have to post an all-new challenge -- and outline the terms and conditions VERY carefully!

~Sara [who actually quite liked her 'role'. At least I wasnt a pushover!]

Meet Joe Black
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
/me thinks that Sara is changing the rules as she goes along...

And, since the IRC vote is that this little story did fulfill the challenge rules... you lose. goofy

Roll on Kae's entry!

Wendy evil

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You really should never underestimate the power of evil , evil , evil people!

Okay. Have to admit that I was totally beaten down on IRC. So...grudgingly...I'm gonna have to back down. See, I'm quite nice when I want to be....

And the fact that Kae completely threatened to retire unless I did, had absolutely nothing to do with it laugh

Wendy....really good effort. I'm impressed, but also completely shaking in my shoes wink . I hope that you'll send this to the archive... <g>.

So P1 of the challenge complete....where's P2? <bg>

~Sara [just a little nervous now wink ]

Meet Joe Black
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Very cute Wendy, I liked it:)

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wendy
good job as expected
merry

Page 1 of 2 1 2