Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#137190 03/11/14 02:54 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I love fish out of water stories. Lois in GGGoH is one of my favorites, but it didn't quite go country enough for me. drool ) If you don't want to get him on a horse, you could make him a rodeo clown.

Lois, of course, would star as the fish out of water. What convincing role could she play? Former Miss Cowboy Queen coming back to judge the Miss Cowboy Rodeo contest. Just something sexist enough to put her teeth on edge.

While watching a local rodeo this past weekend, I noticed that the Cowboy riders had to lasso a calf, jump off his horse, and then 3-leg hogtie (and, yes, I know that's probably not the correct term) the calf. While all the Cowgirl riders had to do was lasso the slightly larger calf and let the rope go. dizzy I could certainly see Lois take offense at the unfairness of *that* (because I did). FYI: many of these cowgirl competitors looked more like beauty queens.

Interesting factoid for those of you who might not know: many of the community colleges and state universities here in the west have their own rodeo teams which have competitions, just like other sports.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#137191 03/11/14 05:24 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I can see Clark going undercover for the purpose of exposing the animal cruelty that is reported to happen at such events.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#137192 03/13/14 03:35 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Personally, I don't know if animal cruelty would be a hard enough investigation on it's own. It WOULD be a perfect sidebar to a larger one, though. Another idea is to have the rodeo in town before Clark gets into the Daily Planet (and Lois is just starting out/is on Perry's doghouse) and get assigned to cover it. Clark's there as a rodeo clown (the JOB that is meant to make it safer for both buckaneer and bull) trying to uncover something.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#137193 03/13/14 06:53 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I really do think bringing Lois to a rodeo is a good way to spotlight the differences of country vs. city. It's a way to describe what's mostly a misconception between people raised in two different environments. People from the country hate that city folk demean what they do without knowing anything about it (i.e. that they're lazy, uneducated, sexist gun-lovers with no culture or class). Strangely enough, people from the city hate the same assumptions brought against them from people from the country (i.e. they have no concept of God or morality, and are all lazy, tattoo wearing, loose people on drugs.) Neither assumption is all true or all false, or even region specific.

Clark, having been raised in the country around farmers, livestock, horses, and hunters understands that culture and mindset far better than Lois, who is more quick to jump to assumptions about them. He's also traveled the world more than she has, and is more easy going, therefore, would be more difficult to be the fish out of water as opposed to Lois. (The closest he comes is during the NK arc.) Clark knows that sure, there are people who abuse animals, but it's not the norm. Like child abuse, sadly it's universal and doesn't just happen in the country. Country folk sure do hate city folk coming into their domain looking down upon them and telling them what they're doing is wrong without knowing a single thing about it.

Having lived both in the country and the city, I feel like I don't really fit into either group very well, but I love to people watch and I can tell you both groups have interesting characters in them.

Originally posted by Christina:
Personally, I don't know if animal cruelty would be a hard enough investigation on it's own. It WOULD be a perfect sidebar to a larger one, though. Another idea is to have the rodeo in town before Clark gets into the Daily Planet (and Lois is just starting out/is on Perry's doghouse) and get assigned to cover it. Clark's there as a rodeo clown (the JOB that is meant to make it safer for both buckaneer and bull) trying to uncover something.
clap Yes, that's exactly what a rodeo clown's job. Well, one of their jobs.

Do rodeos come to the big cities in the North-East? huh I know they do here in the west, but that's because all cities here on the west have cowboys their roots. I can't picture a rodeo coming to New York, Hartford, or Boston. A dressage or jumping event, yes, but a rodeo? Not so much. (I mean a serious rodeo, which is a sporting event, not an 'entertainment show', such as bringing the circus to town.) Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. I can't see the DP footing the bill to send a reporter out of town to cover a rodeo unless there was a big story in it.

I could see Clark taking a week, or a long weekend off, to go help an old friend from Mid-West U. or Smallville, who's noticed some strange goings on at some rodeo competitions. Maybe there's doping of other people's animals, or rigging of some events to make it less safe for the rider and animal, or thefts of the winning horses, or what appears to be a serial killer hitting the 'rodeo royalty', killing off the queens or princesses. Lois follows Clark under the guise of exposing the animal cruelty that she's heard about at such events, only to find Clark in loud hot pink checker pants, a flannel shirt, striped suspenders, a huge cowboy hat, and white makeup.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#137194 03/13/14 07:36 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Don't know if there's any on the far East Coast but I know they had them as far as Tennessee. Went to my first (and so far only even though I definitely live in farm country) in Memphis, TN that was part of the Liberty Bowl (I was there with my high school marching band.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#137195 03/13/14 07:55 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Christina:
Don't know if there's any on the far East Coast but I know they had them as far as Tennessee. Went to my first (and so far only even though I definitely live in farm country) in Memphis, TN that was part of the Liberty Bowl (I was there with my high school marching band.)
Since Nashville is the self-proclaimed home of "Country music" so it's not surprising that they have rodeos there. I was thinking more original 13 colonies / upper Atlantic Coast for that question (where English riding is more prevalent than Western riding). And I know they have them in the South.

VirginiaR.
---
#137196 03/13/14 02:45 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Doing a google on New York rodeo gives me http://www.rodeoz.com/states/New+york

Looks like there are rodeos in the upstate parts of New York but not in the city. So New Troy should have them in the rural parts.

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard