Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
So the last time I posted a challenge like this, it broke down because the word I'd chosen was too obscure and nobody knew what to do with it. Hopefully this time will be better. blush

The Premise: You know those cooking-challenge shows where they announce a special ingredient, and the chefs have to make their dishes with that ingredient? This challenge is kind of like that. I shall give you a word, and your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to write a fic with that word as the theme.

So! Sound fun? Are ya ready? smile

Today's secret ingredient is:

Duck

~•~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What a fun challenge! Three questions:

1) What was the word used in your earlier challenge?
2) What was your earlier challenge?
3) Must 'duck' be used as a noun?

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
What a fun challenge! Three questions:

1) What was the word used in your earlier challenge?
2) What was your earlier challenge?
3) Must 'duck' be used as a noun?

Joy,
Lynn
Three answers! smile

1. Shiboleth. It's an ancient Hebrew(?) or something word that was used to ferret out spies from tribes that couldn't pronounce it, kind of like how Alied forces in WWII used "Lolapalooza" to detect the Japanese. Nowadays, it'd be used to mean anything that pegs you as an outsider. Thus, the aforementioned "Lolapalooza" is a shiboleth.

2. Same as this one, just with Shiboleth instead of Duck. I can't dig up the old link, though, due to my crippling case of laziness.

3. Actually, no, and that's the point. I've intentionally picked words that can be interpretted multiple ways, e.g., "Shiboleth" could be the literal word Shiboleth, or any awkward word/custom that reveals an outsider, or a stalk of wheat (its original meaning, apparently). I want to see where you FoLCs decide to take it. laugh

~•~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
People didn't know shibboleth? That surprised me!

A piece of trivia about the word: IIRC from my grad school days, the Hebrews use of the word as a password was the first recorded instance of a sociolinguistic analysis.

And I have a very bizarre idea for "duck". I should be able to type it up and post it within the hour.

Edit: It actually took me less than 20 minutes to type up and post. It was an ultra-short vignette.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard