Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#275747 06/10/17 11:18 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Adam West, TV's Batman, Dies at 88

Adam West, who played Batman on the campy TV show that ran from 1966 - 1968, died of leukemia on Friday, June 9.

“I am devastated at the loss of one my very dearest friends,” Ward said in a statement. “Adam and I had a special friendship for more than 50 years. We shared some of the most fun times of our lives together. Our families have deep love and respect for each other. This is a terribly unexpected loss of my lifelong friend. I will forever miss him. There are several fine actors who have portrayed Batman in films. In my eyes, there was only one real Batman that is and always will be Adam West. He was truly the Bright Night.”

West's portrayal of Batman was much lighter than most of those that came later (definitely lighter than the Batmen of Michael Keaton, Christian Bale, and Ben Affleck, though Val Kilmer and George Clooney were pretty campy). I enjoyed the re-runs of the show when I was a kid in the 80's -- and when I re-watched the movie and some of the episodes as an adult, I picked up on the somewhat naughty undertones that had gone over my head when I was a kid.

West was typecast after playing Batman and had trouble getting other roles. He was disappointed at not being cast as Batman in the Tim Burton films, though at 60+, he was a little old to play a Batman just starting out. (If a live-action version of The Dark Knight Returns had ever been made, West might have stood a chance, although that Batman is much, much darker than the 60's Batman -- the only actor who has come close to playing that version of the character live-action is Ben Affleck in Batman vs. Superman.)

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was saddened to hear this today. Adam West introduced many of us to DC Comics and made us see the humor of spandex heroes. He'll truly be missed.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I was saddened to hear this today. Adam West introduced many of us to DC Comics and made us see the humor of spandex heroes. He'll truly be missed.

I agree.

In grade school, with my parents and siblings we watched Batman with Adam West and Burt Ward twice a week when it aired. At the time, I took it very seriously. A few years later as a teenager, I watched a rerun of their Batman movie, and was rolling on the floor. While that series didn't get much critical acclaim, it entertained both children and adults.

And there is a New World Zorro (TV show from the 1990s with Duncan Regehr as Zorro) episode called "The Wizard", where Adam West played Dr. Henry Wayne, a traveling peddler and inventor whose eyes lit up when he saw Zorro's cave. And apparently was an ancestor of Bruce Wayne. That episode is very reminiscent of the deadpan humor of the Batman series.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Adam West's Batman was the first live-action superhero I ever recall watching, and I have very fond memories of the show.

R.I.P., Mr. West.

- Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
He'll be missed.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Adam West's Batman was the first live-action superhero I ever recall watching, and I have very fond memories of the show.

R.I.P., Mr. West.

- Lynn

Me too. As a kid, I loved Adam West's Batman. He's still my favorite.

Joan

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I have a strong memory of being terrified as a kid when I saw our heroes trapped in a room with the walls closing in. And a very happy one of being taken by my mum to see one of the movies and then coming home to discover dad had bought me Batman and Robin figurines as a surprise. dance Except he had spent the day laquering the floor in my bedroom and accidentally left the figures on the nightstand - so they were trapped until the floor dried and I could get to them. Seemed to take days. LOL.

Adam seemed such a genuinely lovely person. Humble and self-deprecating and with a fine sense of the ridiculous. Not afraid to take the mickey with his legacy.

Family Guy just won't be the same without the demented Mayor West.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Features Writer
Features Writer
MeTV is having an Adam West tribute on Saturday. If you get it, they'll be showing episodes of shows where he was a guest star all day starting at 10AM, at least in the Eastern Time Zone (US). Also think at least one episode of Batman will be shown. Don't know about other time zones. I don't have cable, but MeTV is one of the few local stations I can get with my $14 antenna.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard