Lois had walked down into the newsroom from the elevator and was greeted with either chilly stares or nods of approval from her newsroom co-workers. She was about to ask Science Editor Janet Owens what was wrong when Jimmy came up to her his expression tight and angry.

“Jimmy, what’s wrong?” She asked, very concerned for her young friend.

“That was harsh what you said last night on television. I thought you and the big guy were close. Never thought I would hear anything bad about Superman from Lois Lane. What were you doing at that protest rally anyway?” Without waiting for an answer he walked away.

“What protest rally?” She asked to his retreating back.

Lois tried to walk to her desk, but staffers, some quite new to the bullpen blocked her way. The tension in the office had increased, there was a background rumble of voices some pro-Superman, others against him. She was actually beginning to be afraid when she felt a familiar hand at the small of her back. It was with a sense of profound relief that she Clark’s voice and the tone was one of steel.
“If you have anything negative to say to Lois, you’ll say it in front of me as well. We should all get back to work.”

The staffers mumbled something about disrespecting a hero and walked away.

Completely bewildered, she turned to her partner and was momentarily taken aback by the look of hurt in his dark eyes. “Cl …Clark, what’s going on? Suddenly I’m either hated or beloved! Jimmy thinks I was at some protest rally against Superman last night.”

Before he could answer, Perry came out of his office, walked over to his reporters and said. “Lois, in the future, remember what you say publicly can reflect poorly on The Daily Planet. I’m very disappointed in you.”

“Chief, has everyone gone crazy? Last night was spent at home reading a good book. I wasn’t around any protest! Unfortunately, I have no one to vouch for me except my goldfish.”

Lowering his voice so only she and Clark could hear Perry said. "Honey, you’ve been under a lot of pressure lately. Hell, we all have, what with adjusting to a new building and owner. The suits upstairs hired the well-respected psychiatrist Dr. Carlin to write the new self-help column and has offered her services as a psychiatrist to the staff. I want you to start seeing her.”

“What? I don’t need to see a shrink!” This is ridiculous!”

While they were talking a tall, handsome middle-aged man wearing a dark suit and white shirt stepped out of the elevator and moved smoothly down the ramp. When he approached the trio he singled out Lois out and spoke in a calm voice that was soothing yet deadly serious.

“Miss Lane, my name is John Reese. I have it under good authority that your life may be in danger from person or persons unknown.”
Startled, she looked up at him and into the most beautiful blues eyes, eyes that had depths of pain and compassion, the likes of which she had never seen before. Whatever questions came to mind for a second caught in her throat. Then she stuttered, “Who …who wants to kill me?”

“We are not certain, but you must come with me now.”

Clark stepped in between them and said, “Who are you? She’s not going anywhere with anyone without me.”

Suddenly a petite black woman dressed in a gray pantsuit raced down the ramp and joined the tall stranger, taking his hand. “John! I just spoke with our mutual friend, we were mistaken. Ms. Lane is not the one in danger. As a matter of fact, we need to leave. Mr. Kent can take care of her better than all of our team combined.”

The tall man looked down at her, warm affection in his eyes and asked gravely. “Are you certain Joss?”

“Positive. I’ll fill you in on the way back to New York.”

John Reese, relaxed, smiled down at the woman by his side and then turned to Lois and her friends. “It appears there has been a mistake. I’m glad my wife was able to catch up with me. Sorry to have bothered you.” The couple prepared to go when Mr. Reese stopped and touched his ear, Joss looked up at him, waiting anxiously.

He spoke to Joss in a “Finch just gave me vital intel Joss, it will save both their lives. I need to talk with them.”

Thanks to his super hearing, Clark stiffened, he knew what the conversation was about. Without giving himself away he said with a worried voice. “Mr. Reese?”

John walked over to the group. “Is there someplace we can speak in private?”

“The conference room.” Lois said.

As soon as the conference room door closed behind him, Clark asked. "Just who are you people? Care to explain where you get your information from?”

John said softly. “Without going into too much detail, all I can say is that your new columnist, Dr. Arianna Carlin is out to get Superman as revenge for him not saving her ex-husband. He’s the person who must be protected, as well as Miss Lane who is to be the instrument of that destruction.”

“How is Dr. Carlin going to kill him through me?” Lois asked surprised.

“Great shades of Elvis! Since when does Superman need our protection? He’s invincible!” Perry barked.

“Not to everything.” Joss answered cocking an eyebrow. “Isn’t that right Mr. Kent? After all, you and the Man of Steel are good friends.”

“He ...he doesn’t tell me all of his secrets.” Clark said, his voice grew tight with anxiety.

Lois couldn’t help but notice how uncomfortable he had become. She decided to put a little pressure on the couple. “Wait a second? Dr. Carlin was married before? Do you know the name of her late ex-husband?”

“Heh, yeah. It was Lex Luthor, the late billionaire.” Joss said. There was something in her tone that said she knew more about his other ‘activities’.

Perry, still a newshound despite a decade as Managing Editor asked. "What cold hard facts do you have Mrs. Reese?"

Her dark eyes flashed and she replied. “Maybe you should check Dr. Carlin’s columns. It will provide the answers about why people are either hostile towards Superman or on his side. Remember the lady is a noted expert in the field of subliminal suggestion."

Her husband nodded and said, “That's all we can say, Joss and I are leaving. I have no doubt you and Miss Lane will be able to solve this mystery without further interference from us.”

“But Mr. Reese! You haven’t explained where you got your information from.” Clark said.

The tall man looked at the people before him, all good, upstanding people. Folks who always worked in the light, not like himself who had only recently with Detective Joss Carter’s help emerged from the darkness.

With a smirk he said softly. “We all have our secrets Mr. Kent. Taking his wife’s hand the mysterious pair exited the conference room.

Last edited by Morgana; 02/14/18 04:51 PM. Reason: Additional material

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.