Rules of Love
Folc4evernaday

Previously On Rules of Family…

“So, not what you were expecting, huh?” Clark asked her.

“No, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I actually enjoyed myself today. I get it now.” She grinned back at him, turning to face him.

“Get what?” he asked curiously.

“The love you have for Christmas. The joy. The hope. I get it now,” she repeated, looking around the room. “Growing up with this...it’s hard not to love it.”

He smiled at her, “I’m just glad I was able to share it with you, Lois.” He brushed a strand of hair out of her face. “After last night, I guess I can understand why you wouldn’t get excited about the holidays. I don’t think I’ve seen a synchronized Christmas dinner like that before.”

Lois groaned, recalling the dinner from the night before, “Mom enjoys putting on a show. It’s not really about the holiday but about the presentation.” Her tone grew sour for a moment, “Probably why she and daddy stayed together as long as they did, too.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bring up bad memories for you,” he apologized.

“It’s okay.” She smiled back at him. “Thanks for not saying anything about last night,” she said, meeting his gaze.

“You seemed like you wanted to avoid talking about it this morning,” he remarked with a knowing expression. “Drunk Christmas Eve dinner is completely forgotten.”

“I wasn’t drunk,” Lois argued.

“You had three glasses of champagne,” he pointed out.

“Okay, maybe I was a little.” She giggled. “You were still a perfect gentleman.”

“Of course,” he grinned back at her.

“Kind of a rarity these days.” Her eyes sparkled as she looped her arms around his neck.

“So is being able to fly and bend steel over your head,” he teased, leaning in to kiss her.

“You know, in all the excitement we forgot to exchange gifts this morning,” Lois realized. “I completely forgot yours on the dining table.”

“That’s okay,” Clark said, pulling out a small red box from his pocket. “I grabbed it before we left.” At her surprised expression, he said, “You were a bit distracted this morning.”

“So don’t just sit there. Open it.” She grinned happily, clapping her hands.

“Okay,” he nodded and began to carefully peel back the wrapping paper. Inside was a small velvet box. “What is this?” He peered at her in amusement. He opened the box, and she watched in anticipation, waiting for him to put the pieces together. “A key?”

“To my apartment,” she said shyly. “I just thought…” she shrugged, “...it would be easier when you’re coming and going.”

He leaned in to kiss her. “Thank you,” he whispered against her lips. “I’ll have a key made for you when we get back.”

Her face relaxed, and she smiled back at him. “I’d like that.”

He pulled out a small box from his pocket wrapped in a blue ribbon and handed it to her. She pulled the ribbon loose and opened the box, revealing a simple silver chain necklace with a small star-shaped pendant on it. “Oh, Clark, it’s gorgeous,” she gasped in surprise. “I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“And you won’t,” he responded carefully. “Every star is different and unique in its own way.” He brushed his hand against her cheek, “Just like you.”

“Star?” Lois asked in surprise.

“Just one of the smaller ones.” He said, fingering the crystalized star with his thumb.

“It’s beautiful. Thank you,” she whispered, leaning against him.

“Merry Christmas, Lois,” he said, stroking her cheek.

“Merry Christmas, Clark,” she murmured against his lips, capturing his mouth with hers.

Teaser

One Month Later…

Murderer Loses Sight!
By Lois Lane and Clark Kent

Lois Lane smiled at the cover photo of Superman holding Dr. Leit and Gregory Munch by the collar. After Dr. Faraday’s murder in her apartment, she and Clark had begun digging into the doctor’s affiliations. Clark was still beating himself up for not being there when Dr. Faraday had been attacked. She was becoming increasingly more aware of just how invested Clark was in the outcome of his rescues. He blamed himself when things went wrong, or he wasn’t there to stop a tragedy. He carried the weight of the world on his shoulders yet was able to show kindness and generosity to everyone he came in contact with-as Superman and as Clark Kent.

Two hands slipped around her waist, and she grinned, looking back at Clark who was standing behind her. “Hey,” she fingered the knot to his tie, “I didn’t hear you come in.”

He smiled back at her, “I used my key.” His eyes sparkled at that statement.

She shared a look with him and looped her arms around his neck. “Your key, huh?”

He tightened his arms around her and whispered, “Best Christmas gift I’ve gotten so far.”

“Really?” She turned to face him, “I must warn you I’m a terrible gift giver.” She let out a mock sigh and teased, “You’ll only be disappointed after this.”

“Not possible.” He murmured, leaning in to kiss her, running his palm against the frame of her face. His other arm rested on her hip. She let out a soft moan against him. A moan escaped his lips, and he broke off the kiss, resting his head against hers.

She had given him a key to her apartment on Christmas. When they’d returned from his parents’ farm, he’d made a copy of his key for her as well. It was a big step in their relationship, but she felt they were ready. Over the last few months, they’d discovered new things about one another and navigated through their budding relationship and Clark’s revelation with a few bumps in the road.

She fingered the silk of his tie, looking up at his heated gaze with a smile. She could feel the butterflies flutter in her stomach when he looked at her like that. Things had definitely heated up in the romance department between them. She teased, tugged on his tie and pulling him back toward her and recapturing his mouth with hers before pulling away once more. “How’d everything go?”

“Dr. Klein said there was no sign of permanent damage. Everything’s back to normal.” He reassured her.

She let out a breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding in. “Good. That was really scary. You not being able to see.”

“I know.” He said, whispering a kiss against her forehead. “For me too.”

Clark had spent two days without his sight thanks to Dr. Leit’s device. Thankfully, Dr. Klein had been able to reverse the effects, but seeing Clark that vulnerable had scared her. It was a reminder that despite Clark’s differences and super abilities he was just as vulnerable—if not more so because of Superman. As long as he put on the cape to protect others, he would always have a target on his back.

It had been four months since their first date—when he’d trusted her enough to tell her everything. She’d gone through so many emotions that night. Hurt. Pain. Mortification. Shock. At the end of the day though, she knew she couldn’t walk away. There was something between them. She’d felt it in their first meeting—as Superman and as Clark. Not that she’d ever admit to it at the time. He’d gotten to her in a way that no one else had. He understood her in a way no one else could. The closer they became the more comfortable they both became with one another.

It was different from any relationship she’d been in. Every other relationship ended in heartache—typically from a betrayal of one kind or another. Paul, Claude, and more recently Lex. They had all betrayed her. Clark was different. He’d laid everything on the line and left himself vulnerable knowing she could destroy him with the swipe of a pen if she wanted to. He trusted her with his deepest secret. She knew it hadn’t been an easy decision for him. Telling her his secret identity and letting her make the decision to take a chance on their relationship made it easy for her to forgive him.

He proved time and time again how different he was from everyone else. He hadn’t pushed her for anything more than their very heated makeout sessions. After the last time, things had gotten too heated at his apartment after the incident with Capone’s gang she’d noticed he seemed to pull back. He was still attentive and loving, but he seemed more controlled. He didn’t allow them to get carried away like they had before. When things began to tread near dangerous territory, he pulled back. It wasn’t until after the incident with Metallo this past month that she noticed his resolve seemed to be wavering. He’d even spent the night with her Christmas Eve because she didn’t want to be alone. He’d slept on the couch most of the night, but he’d been there. Then when he’d lost his sight, she’d kept him at her apartment.

Clark let out a low murmur, cupping her cheek with his palm as he spoke. “I don’t know how I would have gotten through the last few days without you, Lois. Thank you.”

She gave him a watery smile. “Of course.” She let out a long sigh, feeling his arms tighten around her. “I’m starting to like Dr. Klein more and more. I’m glad he was able to help.”

“Me too.” Clark chuckled. “So, I was thinking since we’ve already filed the story on Dr. Leit Perry might be open to us having a long weekend.”

Her eyes sparkled with mischief, “Long weekend, huh? What exactly did you have planned for this weekend?”

“Not chasing criminals or leads that end with either of us having guns pointed at us.” He said half-jokingly.

“I was minding my own business.” She retorted, sensing where his train of thought was. Dr. Faraday had been murdered in her apartment when she’d been coming home from the market. Clark had raced into overprotective mode, refusing to let her do anything or go anywhere without him before Dr. Leit’s device had rendered him blind. She knew he’d been coming from a good place, but it had annoyed her to no end.

“I know.” He said softly. “I just thought after this past week we could use a little change of scenery. Maybe some food that doesn’t require a packet of seasoning and box directions.” His eyes hinted at the humor he was trying to lighten the conversation with.

“I thought you liked the pasta.” She pressed, running her hands through the hair on the back of his head.

“I did…” He cupped her cheek. “I think we could both benefit from a weekend away though.”

“A whole weekend?” She raised her eyebrow at him. “What about Superman?”

“He can take a weekend off. You know, as long as no one’s trying to blow the planet up or anything.” He pulled her closer to him, and she smiled back at him. “What do you say?”

“I think it sounds...promising.” She grinned, leaning in to kiss him. “But you have to ask Perry for the time off.”

“Deal.” He grinned back at her.

Nigel St. John made his way through the abandoned subway tunnels, following the directions he’d been given by Gretchen Kelly. If what she promised was true it would mean a change of power in regards to the criminals in Metropolis. He knew all too well how Lex Luthor would react to the changes that had taken place in his absence.

He reached the corridor where he found Gretchen hard at work at her computer. On the table next to her was the glass case she’d been keeping Lex Luthor’s body in for the past few months, trying to resurrect him from the dead. On another table was the body of Johnny Corbin. He frowned looking at the drabby surroundings, “Couldn’t you have found a place with some heat?”

“Your comfort isn’t really my concern at this point, Nigel,” Gretchen said, looking at the monitors. “His vital signs are fluctuating wildly. It's been a struggle ever since that close call we had.”

“Close call?” Nigel asked, not sure what she was referring to.

“After the run-in with Waldecker’s sister I had to move Lex. I was followed to the crypt, and he was almost discovered.” She explained, fiddling with the keyboard in front of her. “His vitals still haven’t stabilized since the move…”

“Yes, well, I do hope I haven’t made this trip for nothing.” Nigel mused, looking at Gretchen coolly.

“Gee Nigel, your concern for Lex is overwhelming.” Gretchen threw him a disapproving look.

“Mr. Luthor did not hire me for my congeniality.” He spoke coldly.
One of the monitors began blinking rapidly, screeching in a loud monotone beeping. Gretchen frantically moved him out of the way to adjust the switches on the electronic equipment behind him. “I've got to stabilize his electromagnetic field. Otherwise, we're going to lose him.” She explained.

A loud crash came from the glass case. They both looked to see a bright blue glow coming from within. Just as quickly as it came, it went. A long monotone sound came from the monitor on the other side of the room. They both looked up to see the vital machine go flat. Gretchen began to scream in a panic, “No! Lex! No!”

He approached her from behind, placing a tentative hand on her arm to try and calm her down. He sighed, “It was a noble experiment, Gretchen.”

“Lex,” She cried, burying her head in her hands.

He patted her arm, hoping the display of emotion from her would be short-lived. He knew all too well the effect his former employer had had on the women in his life. Lex Luthor prided himself on his ability to take what he wanted from anyone, not caring about the fallout that came. Each conquest was greater and greater. It wasn’t until his engagement to Lois Lane that he’d seen Lex show any change in his behavior. The idea of taking something from Superman and winning the war between the man of steel created the perfect circumstances for Lex Luthor’s downfall. It was his greatest triumph that destroyed him. Thankfully they wouldn’t see him repeat that mistake again.

A loud crash caused them to jump. They looked up to see an arm pop through the glass case, searching for the latch to release the lid. Blindly the arm reached up to raise the lid. Before their eyes the figure of his former employer, Lex Luthor rose, covered in goo. His eyes were dark with rage and his hair a mess, soiled in the compound Gretchen had been keeping him in for the past few months. A demonic expression remained on his face as he looked at them.

“Lex…” Gretchen gasped.

“I don’t believe it,” Nigel said in shock.

“Believe it!” Lex Luthor snarled at him in response.

Clark flew over Metropolis that evening with a sense of relief he hadn’t felt in weeks. After his conversation with his dad on Christmas, he’d gone back and forth on whether it was the right time to even ask the question. Four months. It seemed like such a short time but given everything they’d gone through in that time it seemed like a lifetime away.

Last weekend he’d bought the ring. He’d planned on asking her that night, but when he arrived at her apartment, he’d found Dr. Faraday’s body and Lois in a trance. All his plans quickly vanished over the last week as they worked to find Dr. Faraday’s murderer and he dealt with the sudden blindness that had been thrust on him.

He mentally kicked himself for that one. He’d done it again. Rushed into a situation without assessing it properly. His confidence that the device Dr. Leit had wouldn’t work on him had been his undoing. Lois and the rest of Metropolis had been put in danger because of his short-sightedness. Thankfully Dr. Klein at STAR Labs had been able to help reverse the effects in time.

Lois was safe.

Superman was back.

It had been a close call...again.

He’d made the same mistake with Metallo. Last time, he’d pushed Lois away. That hadn’t gone over very well. This time he hadn’t. Lois helped him through it all. She helped him figure out how to do the things that had come so naturally before. Now that he was without sight he found himself fearful of what his life would be without sight. Never being able to experience the world as he had before. Then there was the issue of Superman. He couldn’t exactly fight criminals without his sight.

Lois had been there for him. She’d been surprisingly patient with him, helping him navigate his way through the emotions that came with the changes. It was a side to her he’d only seen glimpses of before. He’d seen it when she had taken in Amy Valdez during the investigation into Metamide 5 and when she was playing with the orphan, Danielle during their investigation into the Space Rats.

Though she claimed not to have a maternal bone in her body she had a knack for being the voice of reason through the chaos. It only made him love her more.

Now that things had calmed down again and he had his sight back he wasn’t going to let anything get in his way. A weekend away from everything would ensure no story or criminal would get in the way. He still had a few details to sort out, but they were minor details. He’d already talked with Perry about taking a three-day weekend earlier in the week. Given the big story they just handed in he didn’t see any reason why the editor would change his mind. It had been a very productive few months for the Planet. It seemed like after Lex Luthor’s fall from grace everyone thought Metropolis was fair game.

He smiled as he neared the apartment building on Clinton Street. It appeared the city was quiet tonight. The corners of his mouth twitched into a broad grin as realization washed over him. He did a flip in the air as he came in to land.

He was going to ask Lois Lane to marry him.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube